Sign in to follow this  
ZombieGenocide

What Is Happening to ASF?

I went to check today's active topics, and what do I find but this...

Picture1-1.png

Of the top twelve active topics, five of them were either "off-topic" or "funny stuff." This is not the first time I have noticed this either, but rather the tipping point for my disappointment. Why does an AIRSOFT forum have ~ %42 of their top twelve active topics about something that other than airsoft?

I am guessing that people will tell me that I need to relax and that people are just having fun on here, but I used to come to ASF for real information, and even humor surrounding an airsoft discussion, but now my screen is flooded with nonsensical posts. If it were up to me (and before you go and tell me, I already know it is not) I would not have the "off-topic" and "funny stuff" forums exist.

</rant>

Ironically this topic will likely be moved to the "off-topic" section.

A reminder. This is not a bash asf thread.

If you don't like asf suggest things to the staff so we can fix it, don't advertise other forums, or openly flame our website.

I realize that the first suggestion was not aimed at me but I think the openly flaming the site may have been. I am not flaming the site, but more the quality of the user's posts, and that is not something ASF cannot really change without severely limiting freedoms of speech on or running the forum like fascists. I'm just holding on the the sliver of hope that people on ASF will realize this is not the place to post about how much their little brother annoys them...

A reminder. This is not a bash asf thread.

If you don't like asf suggest things to the staff so we can fix it, don't advertise other forums, or openly flame our website.

Been there, done that. Remember that "Official ASF Suggestion Thread"? Yeah, I posted a good long post in that, and it went completely overlooked by everyone, including the staff.

I'm just holding on the the sliver of hope that people on ASF will realize this is not the place to post about how much their little brother annoys them...

hey I totally agree.

Some off topic chat is fine, but those types of things are rediculous.

I am guessing that people will tell me that I need to relax and that people are just having fun on here

You are correct in your guessing.

but I used to come to ASF for real information, and even humor surrounding an airsoft discussion, but now my screen is flooded with nonsensical posts.

This is only my fault in the Off-Topic/Funny sections.

Last comment removed. Please don't threaten other members. I know it was a joke, but still not ok. ~Soldierbane

Edited by soldierbane

I never liked the off topic sections (on any forum for that matter). I go to forums that are based on a topic that I am interested in, thus I see no reason to sit around talking about things that are specifically "off topic" from why I came here.. however, members and staff have voted many times in favor of keeping these sections. All I can suggest is to pick out the sections that interest you and check through them rather than checking the recently active list, that way you avoid the sections that don't interest you.

I don't want to bash ASF at all, so don't take my post offensive.

I've been on this forum for a little over a year, and yes, I have noticed a decrease in the quality of topics.

I think the off topic/funny section should be deleted. If you leave because of this, you should go to 4 chan. Not AIRSOT FORUM.

The question isn't "What is happening to ASF?" The question should be "What am I, as an ASF member doing to forward the ASF forums?"! We should all ask ourselves, before we post a reply or a thread, am I helping, hindering, or just rank posting???

I'm guessing many of you aren't on car forums but the same things have been happening. In fact in many other forums that I frequently post on there's been floods of just stupid, pointless information unrelated for what the forums are actually there for.

A couple of them have cracked down by both the members, and staff by enforcing more on-topic discussion and limiting the off topic discussion.

Even though the "General Discussion" section pertains to things in general about airsoft, if it isn't anything helpful to other members, I suggest the administrators and moderators just start deleting useless threads to enforce serious airsoft discussion.

It probably sounds like forum Nazi-ism at it's finest but it may need to be done.

I don't want to bash ASF at all, so don't take my post offensive.

I've been on this forum for a little over a year, and yes, I have noticed a decrease in the quality of topics.

I think the off topic/funny section should be deleted. If you leave because of this, you should go to 4 chan. Not AIRSOT FORUM.

4chan doesn't give you as good of results as the off-topic forum. I REALLY don't understand why a lot of people think the OT section is the reason for ASF's decreasing number of smarter/legitimate threads, off topic is for people like Romeo_Delta to amuse us. I would consider if I should stay on this forum if the off topic section is gone, because EVERYONE needs a time when they want to talk about non-airsoft stuff to other forum-goers, or want to get some lulz.(lulz is a word we use in OT, if you never have been there) Itsahak, you said exactly what I wanted to say but better. Don't blame it on the OT section on select members, but figure out if it is partially YOUR fault, which could be when people make threads like this.

One of the most annoying things on this forum is the Prometheus NEO hop up thread... every time I see it at the top of the upgrades section I wonder how the moderators and administrators (sp?) can let that thread stay where it is, I mean at the very least move it to the Off-topic section or just close it entirely.

Edited by The Irish Sniper

I went to check today's active topics, and what do I find but this...

Of the top twelve active topics, five of them were either "off-topic" or "funny stuff." This is not the first time I have noticed this either, but rather the tipping point for my disappointment. Why does an AIRSOFT forum have ~ %42 of their top twelve active topics about something that other than airsoft?

I am guessing that people will tell me that I need to relax and that people are just having fun on here, but I used to come to ASF for real information, and even humor surrounding an airsoft discussion, but now my screen is flooded with nonsensical posts. If it were up to me (and before you go and tell me, I already know it is not) I would not have the "off-topic" and "funny stuff" forums exist.

</rant>

Ironically this topic will likely be moved to the "off-topic" section.

First of all, you CANNOT take ONE screenshot at ONE point in time on ONE day and claim that 42% of ASF's activity is in the off topic section.

Second, if you don't like Off Topic, simply ignore it. It's not that hard. Leave the off topic people alone and simply visit other parts of the forum, as Meety said. If you're looking for "real information," then visit the Upgrades/Mods and AEGs or GBBs sections. Off Topic isn't affecting the rest of the forum, so I don't see how this is a problem.

HOWEVER, I do think that there should be a minimum post count required to access the off topic forum. Something along the lines of 150-200 posts.

Edited by hydralover

People go wild in the OT section (including me) BECAUSE WE'RE HUMAN. Not all of us can be mindless automatons like apparently some members can be. 4chan =/= OT, OT is slightly intelligent. And if you ditch it, we'll just spill into different areas. OT is there to keep us on-topic everywhere else.

Don't complain about the Promy thread. It's a joke.

My definition of idiocy is "being proven incorrect time and time again, yet saying the same things". You, sir, need to stop.

Edited by Blak110

First of all, you CANNOT take ONE screenshot at ONE point in time on ONE day and claim that 42% of ASF's activity is in the off topic section.

Did you actually read my post?

I made sure not to make a blanket statement as you suggested I did, because I have taken quite a few statistics courses and understand how they can be biased when such blanket statements are made without contextual support. I made sure to say this was not a one time deal and I specifically said that approximately (~) 42% of the first twelve active topics (I figured it was implied by specifying the amount and section that I was referring to that specific time the picture was taken).

I am well aware that it is a joke but its a joke that has... over stayed its welcome, or gotten old. It is just a way for 2 or 3 people to increase their post count which I know means nothing but many new people on the forum will take advice from someone that has 1000+ posts over some who has 100+ even if they aren't nearly as experienced on any certain topic.

Just because a member is new doesn't make him a fool. If you think that, then you're just as bad as the rank-posters.

But they may have been members on other forums. Maybe I let my irritation get the better of me. Let's both let it lie and let the flaming die down, ok?

Understood, but when two people on opposite ends of the spectrum argue over something, nothing gets accomplished. :lol:

Frankly I'd suggest off topic be ONE area, now if a ton of people want to post in that area, fine.... As long as they don't clutter up the rest of the site for those of us that enjoy helping others getting and giving information, and in general working. Now I agree that the off topic area is getting out of hand. It is my belief that it should be deleting all together. But I'm one cog in a bigger machine.

Just ignore them. If you bring the topic up or get mad about it and make a scene your just making them want to do it more. This thread should be discussed via pm. Also theres a cetain forum (asr) that has a certain mod thats like the airsoft gastapo and I do not want asf to become like them. Id rather have all the off topic setions then asf to become like asr (I like it for what it is but way to strict). any way my .02

Edited by nickrowe

Guest OpSic66
Please, trivializing the cold-blooded mass genocide of millions of people by comparing the Nazis to online forum moderators is just not right.

Agree'd. Completely uncalled for. Having a stern view and a blunt manner of "doing a job your given, with no offset of compensation" only to be blighted by the masses for doing said job. Is a complete misunderstood concept. The point is, we as moderators, have a job to do. We have rules, for the rules we enforce. We to must abide by a set standard and if we don't WE are dealt with as well. Even when a moderator is seen to be aggressive. If he is being supported by that moderators he is in rank with, and the administrators. Then there is not much to say other then YOUR personal ideas clash with theirs.

The question isn't "What is happening to ASF?" The question should be "What am I, as an ASF member doing to forward the ASF forums?"! We should all ask ourselves, before we post a reply or a thread, am I helping, hindering, or just rank posting???

Strongly agree'd. The majority of the issue lies with "humans". 65-75% of humanity already has what could be clinically diagnosed as a "short attention span". Couple this with the increasing nature of the growing availability of high speed internet connections. You now get, "Hey I can have whatever I want when I want".

Whalla, 9 million choices at the tip of your finger. Now coupled with an increased "lazy attitude" of people who believe they are entitled to have something. And of course, lets add in a dash of "Dude I know something" or "have a smart a55 comment" to add. You get, what the internet is mostly today. With a side of "I have a rant everyone should know about, but means little to anyone, and has mostly no use at all - other then I'm pissed".

Well I strongly disagree. This is a topic forum, and a fairly wide specific target, with lots of sub categories as it is. It does NOT need an OT section, and I'd have to say that 60% of ASF's issues lie in it.

Edited by OpSic66

Did you actually read my post?

I made sure not to make a blanket statement as you suggested I did, because I have taken quite a few statistics courses and understand how they can be biased when such blanket statements are made without contextual support. I made sure to say this was not a one time deal and I specifically said that approximately (~) 42% of the first twelve active topics (I figured it was implied by specifying the amount and section that I was referring to that specific time the picture was taken).

Okay, right now 0/12 of the top active threads are OT/FS.

87230119.png

Actually, it's more like 0/20. This isn't the first time I've noticed this. So can I claim that ~0% of the forum's activity is in the OT/FS sections? And make a mountain out of a molehill?

I am well aware that it is a joke but its a joke that has... over stayed its welcome, or gotten old. It is just a way for 2 or 3 people to increase their post count which I know means nothing but many new people on the forum will take advice from someone that has 1000+ posts over some who has 100+ even if they aren't nearly as experienced on any certain topic.

I assure you, they are knowledgeable enough to hand out good advice. There isn't much of a different in a couple hundred posts when you're reaching 700+. This isn't really a problem.

Well I strongly disagree. This is a topic forum, and a fairly wide specific target, with lots of sub categories as it is. It does NOT need an OT section, and I'd have to say that 60% of ASF's issues lie in it.

Where did 60% come from? I don't see how Off Topic is affecting the rest of the board at all. The antics are mainly confined within the section, and it really isn't a problem. If we were going to cut part of the board, I would cut the chat. That's been more headache than help.

The thing is... the OT is such a great OT. If only we could move it off the forum without getting rid of it altogether...

Chat is the one thing we CANNOT get rid of. Honestly. If you saw how many people whined about it when it was down, you can predict what would happen if you got rid of it.

BTW, don't posts in OT not count towards post count?

Edited by Kavurcen

Guest OpSic66
Where did 60% come from? I don't see how Off Topic is affecting the rest of the board at all. The antics are mainly confined within the section, and it really isn't a problem. If we were going to cut part of the board, I would cut the chat. That's been more headache than help.

60% of the reports that I see, that are in need of attention and handling. Come from threads that are off of the topic of airsoft. This does not include people asking to move, close threads, etc. Nor people complaining about the he said she said junk.

MOST of the thread I see, where people have taken threads way of context, way off of topic, and broken rules here on ASF. Either are in the general area (and should be in OT), or are in OT to begin with. As a matter of fact YOU had a thread you were already involved in, where there was a photo with "MF'er" in it, which you took no action on.

Now I'm not saying your not doing your job, perhaps maybe even the absolute opposite and are "working too hard" and not seeing it all.

I'm just saying MOST of the crap stirring I see, is coming from OT crap in the general section, and OT sections itself. Which in turn I WILL agree with you. The chat seems to be nothing more then an OT feces breeding grounds. I've already warned people in the OT (and chat) sections many times. I personally think the OT and chat should BOTH go, but thats me.