to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
AJB32690

Rank patches?

I know this is kinda controversial, but anyway. Ive got a used set of Woodland BDUs that used to be my friends dads when he was in the service. All the patches have been removed, except for the Master Sargent chevrons. Would people be offended if I left these on, or should I try to remove them? If I should remove them, how would I do that without harming the jacket?

Guest Gcommando36

Some fields don't allow them. I would remove them for that reason and the fact that it's illegal to fake being in service.

I play with former military and know people who are current military who used to airsoft, and they didn't have a problem with wearing rankings, so long as you don't claim to be actual or former military when you are not.

As explained to me, they were okay with people saying they are a "sergeant on an airsoft team" so long as it was clear that it wasn't real military service.

I play with former military and know people who are current military who used to airsoft, and they didn't have a problem with wearing rankings, so long as you don't claim to be actual or former military when you are not.

As explained to me, they were okay with people saying they are a "sergeant on an airsoft team" so long as it was clear that it wasn't real military service.

That's what I thought. The only thing I'm worried about is if I remove them and I get some ugly outline from where they used to be or something

If an outline is all you are worried about, then don't worry. I have a blackish outline from where the EGA used to be on my woodland blouse. It's not the insignia, just an mark where it used to be, so it doesn't matter.

I think he is more worried about it looking ugly than people thinking he was impersonating a master sergeant with the outline. You can't really complain about someone having marks where rank patches used to be when they are wearing surplus jackets.

Some people care, some people don't, and some of the people that do can be really loud about it. That's about the best I can tell you. Just to be safe, if I ever am in some position of authority in a team with ranks, we'll be having fictional rank patches, and if I start a team, we'll have fictional regiment/division/battalion/whatever badges (cav 414, baby).

I think he is more worried about it looking ugly than people thinking he was impersonating a master sergeant with the outline. You can't really complain about someone having marks where rank patches used to be when they are wearing surplus jackets.

Some people care, some people don't, and some of the people that do can be really loud about it. That's about the best I can tell you. Just to be safe, if I ever am in some position of authority in a team with ranks, we'll be having fictional rank patches, and if I start a team, we'll have fictional regiment/division/battalion/whatever badges (cav 414, baby).

I liken it to wearing a sports team jersey. Just because you wear an Oakland Raiders shirt doesn't make you an Oakland Raider. As long as you aren't wearing it around town trying to pass yourself off as a soldier I don't see much of an issue with it myself, especially if it was a relative's uniform and you are proud of their service.

However, I do have a problem with people wearing skill badges they didn't earn. Unless the badges were earned by the aforementioned relative, wearing things like jump wings or god help us a Combat Infantryman's Badge, will earn you a call out and public humiliation when someone who's actually had to earn those badges rips them from your chest.

As current military, I don't have a problem with as long as you don't say you are that rank and pretend you are actually in the military. Some people I work with will disagree with me and they don't like it. They say cause you have not earned it, but that is my friends. My biggest beef is people who wear career badges and unit patches. Mainly something I picked up from my grandfather, who was 82nd AB in WWII. I worked hard for my career badge, and if I saw a civilian wear it I would get offended.

OFF TOPIC

I got a lil offended two days ago, when I saw 4 teenagers buying military uniforms for their rap dancing band. They were going on about how they were going to cut them up and change them around. Really pissed me off when I saw one of them have a Air Force Dress Blues Jacket. I worked hard to wear that uniform and he is going to cut it up and wear it while prancing around on stage.

Unless the badges were earned by the aforementioned relative

So is it generally accepted to wear badges your relatives earned? I haven't heard any complaints about it, but I don't see particularly what makes it acceptable while it wouldn't be otherwise. Is it only direct lineage, would your uncle's badge be acceptable? Cousin's?

Isn't going to make a difference for me, since the closest relatives I know that served would be my granduncles who served in the navy (my grandpa was 4F), but I would still like to know what is acceptable and why.

So is it generally accepted to wear badges your relatives earned? I haven't heard any complaints about it, but I don't see particularly what makes it acceptable while it wouldn't be otherwise. Is it only direct lineage, would your uncle's badge be acceptable? Cousin's?

Isn't going to make a difference for me, since the closest relatives I know that served would be my granduncles who served in the navy (my grandpa was 4F), but I would still like to know what is acceptable and why.

I don't know if there's a consensus on what people in the military believe is accepted, merely in my opinion. And in my opinion it'd have to be on a used uniform garment they handed down to you. If I saw a guy rocking a CIB or something because his uncle had one on a new uniform I'd call him on it.

By badges do you mean rank patches? If you mean rank patches and they were your grandfathers for example, sure wear the rank patches, just explain they were your grandfathers. Now career badges, that's what we call them, Doc called them something else. Those are something we will call someone out on, since we worked for them.

You can buy Rank Patches at a Army/Navy store, but you can't buy Career Badges, hence why we will call someone out.

My opinion

I don't mind it too much, but it does bother me in a sense, especially if I see somone wearing ranger tabs, ranger scrolls, or real unit patches. I understand if its an old set of bdu's that my belong to a LT COLONEL but if its like acu's where you got to go out ant buy and put it on , just seems like, hey ur not a sgt ur no nco wtf, just bothers me. saw a guy wearing a major rank on an acu iba but he was wearing marpat , which was retarded. if you ddnt earn it avoid wearing it. if its on bdus I can understand cus its sown on. but if u purposely go and slap it on there it bugs me. because real men fight and die with that stuff on . unit paches to

As current military, I don't have a problem with as long as you don't say you are that rank and pretend you are actually in the military. Some people I work with will disagree with me and they don't like it. They say cause you have not earned it, but that is my friends. My biggest beef is people who wear career badges and unit patches. Mainly something I picked up from my grandfather, who was 82nd AB in WWII. I worked hard for my career badge, and if I saw a civilian wear it I would get offended.

OFF TOPIC

I got a lil offended two days ago, when I saw 4 teenagers buying military uniforms for their rap dancing band. They were going on about how they were going to cut them up and change them around. Really pissed me off when I saw one of them have a Air Force Dress Blues Jacket. I worked hard to wear that uniform and he is going to cut it up and wear it while prancing around on stage.

if I see a stupid mother f8KER wearing my uniform hacking it up and dishonoring the united states army combat uniform , id stop them right there, and tell them to take that crap off, people suffer to wear that stuff, it even pains me when people wear the uniform for airsoft and are ate up as hell, not their fault, but its like man. u make the uniform look bad, the way its worn should be worn properly, within acceptable means, haircuts bother me to but thats not a big problem. just looks funny wen somone tries to be an army ranger and has long long mullet like hair. haircut people it makes u look the part.

Edited by spartan 117 gw

I hack up all my worn out BDU/DCU/ACU pants and turned them into shorts. Eh.

SgtNimrod - In the Army we don't have a badge that denotes what our MOS is except for on our Class A's. Officers used to have what field (Infantry, armor, medical, ect) they were from on their collars but when we switched to ACU's they lost it. Skill badges are things to represent military skills you've aquired ie Airborne and Air Assault wings for people who complete those classes. Some badges, like the Combat Infantryman's Badge is awarded to infantry soldiers who've been directly engaged and responded appropriately. I got mine for a couple of bad nights in Mosul, and if like Spartan said, I saw a kid wearing a CIB on ACU's (since you have to physically pin it on), I'd probably get pretty irrate.

With unit patches I don't mind really unless a) they are trying to play off being a member of that unit and b) they wear a unit patch on their right shoulder without wartime service. Wearing a 101st Airborne patch or whatever on your left shoulder is like I said before akin to wearing a sports team Jersey to a team you like to me.

Its extremely offensive if you didn't actually earn the rank, don't do it, some vets get really pissed when they see little kids running around pretending to be "green berets" etc. My team made their own patch and name tapes with a fake branch, IMO it just saves you explaining and people hassling you.

Edited by S-17

I have question for the former service members. I used to have rockers that said Sniper, Recon and such, they were green so I assume they were Armyish.

They looked like this

RCK171.jpg

Now is that acceptable? I wouldn't wear anything that has to with somewhere/something I haven't done or been.

They would be positions/jobs of specific team/squad members.

I hope this made sense.

sounds like ur talkin bout tabs, scrolls (rangers)

For the most part the are but they said "sniper" and such. I wouldn't use a Ranger tabs(or any real unit or place), I did not earn them.

Also don't wear badges and insignia from specific units, especially Special Forces unit's and so on. Awhile back we had some guy with SAS insignia on his uniform, walked into a bar after a day of paintball and ran into an ex SAS guy. Had to rip his badges out right there and then.

With my impression of them, sure, I say "yea, this is my SAS impression kit, although its a little more generic, im not exactly imitating them" and I never wear the insignia. Also, Beret wise, I just wear a black one, no badges or anything just because I know that is the beret worn by people who aren't in their new unit yet. (which applies to me somewhat, as I'm nearly in the reserve forces in NZ aka 2 tests away from being in)

I always wear rank patches, as I'm my team's CO and we use real ranks for milsim. Unit patches, on the other hand... I have a bunch of 101st patches, but I only wear them when the event is actually 101st vs. ___ (I.e. Battle of the Bulge, etc.)

My uncle (hes actaully a distant cousin, but I call him my uncle cuz he's like 35) was a Ranger, and my neighbor (the Stryker CO) is a Ranger school grad. You'd think that they'd jealously guard the Ranger tab, but actually gave me a pair. I consider it a win, lol

Edited by Blak110

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I leave 'em off unless I'm filming (I do occasional war films).

Rank patches didn't use to bother me, but the longer I spend in the Army, the more it bugs me to see some 15 year old wearing SGT or SSG stripes. I'd say avoid anything you haven't earned.

I always wear rank patches, as I'm my team's CO and we use real ranks for milsim. Unit patches, on the other hand... I have a bunch of 101st patches, but I only wear them when the event is actually 101st vs. ___ (I.e. Battle of the Bulge, etc.)

My uncle (hes actaully a distant cousin, but I call him my uncle cuz he's like 35) was a Ranger, and my neighbor (the Stryker CO) is a Ranger school grad. You'd think that they'd jealously guard the Ranger tab, but actually gave me a pair. I consider it a win, lol

Ya, if someone gave you the insignia, them you earned it to some extent. My grandfather gave me his old chief stripes. I used to wear them when I was a kid to honor him. I don't do that anymore because I could get charged with impersonating a NCIOC. :a-wink: I hope to one day earn those stripes! :a-salute:

Me honestly being in the military hate when I see rank, patches, or even people with dogs tags (more so the type that do it for a fashion statement) on there person. Some people don't know what some of the people that ear there ranks go threw to get them. I don't think anyone should be able to wear them in airsoft even if there in the military. thats my 2 cents.

im an active duty second class petty officer (e-5) in the navy. every day I wear a crow with two chevrons. when I airsoft with my buddies, we have our own rank structure, I wear a major (o-4) rank and insignia. it doesnt play over into real life, and no one gets offended. any milsim kinda game should have ranks and a chain of command that is followed. people played as a sgt. in call of duty 4 and no one got upset. my character in rainbow six 2 is a warrant officer, and no one is complaining.

I don't care if people wear mil ranks.... or if they outrank me.... its not a big deal, just a game.... no one who wears the ranks really think they are in the military at that rank...

on the other hand, if anyone goes out to eat or something after an airsoft match wearing their uniforms, and start telling war stories and pretending to really be in the military, stand by cuz I'll destroy you... no joke

I keep my ranks on my BDUs out of respect of my dad since they are his and such if you know what I mean. but I always make sure everyone I play with clear they are my dads who is active duty and not mine since alot of people do ask me about the ranks and medical core patches.

and FYI you guys. if you just keep the ranks and such only on the field then theres nothing wrong with it. unless you go out in public and say how you are E-4 or O-3 or w/e when you are not than you can get in trouble. you cannot get charged for just having a rank on your BDUs because anyone can go and buy ranks.

when I was in the fIeld or deployed, my uniform was stripped of all tapes, rank, patches

that must be one heck of an 11 series, never seen that from them before.

I Kinda stand in between most of the time in terms of rank and patches, rank doesnt usualy bother me as a lot people buy them surplus or have family, so no biggie there, badges and tabs do bother me though, I really wanted to get into a teenager a few months back that pinned himself with wings :a-censored: as far as my oppinion goes, if you don't have the kahona to join and get your own don't wear them, simple as that.

that must be one heck of an 11 series, never seen that from them before.

I Kinda stand in between most of the time in terms of rank and patches, rank doesnt usualy bother me as a lot people buy them surplus or have family, so no biggie there, badges and tabs do bother me though, I really wanted to get into a teenager a few months back that pinned himself with wings :a-censored: as far as my oppinion goes, if you don't have the kahona to join and get your own don't wear them, simple as that.

11B's in the Batts usually go sterile out of the wire.

Docs right. Thats the main reason ACUs are velcro. Your supposed to sterilize your uniform out of the wire or in sensative areas. Also if you see a patch upside down it usually measn that soldier is under distress.

I have a problem with people wearing Tabs and Scrolls. And badges. I do not have my CIB but I worked extremley hard to earn my EIB and when I saw some guy at a field wering one on a set of multi cam I about lost it. Now a days they hand out CIBs for almsot nothing(No degrading anyone whos earned it recently but the standards changed these past few months.) I was BSing with my squad leader one night on my Fob and a round struck the ground in between us and then we caught a mortar about 15 yards away knocking us into a LMTV we were by. He earned his CIB in afghanistan but my company tried putting me up for my CIB cause I got hit with a mortar?

anyway getting away from the topic.

As long as your not trying to pass off that you are Military I dotn have a problem with it. With the acception a few few prior service guys I only really see kids wearring the rank and such, but they don't know much better.

Edited by Bfour

Or regular Joes trying to be high speed and all.

Also if you see a patch upside down it usually measn that soldier is under distress.

Never heard that one before. Generally the soldiers' wounds, or the extreme amount of gun fire from Hajji indicates the level of distress.