AceMcHammer

Rename Airsoft to MILSIM?

Which title best designates a cooler image for this combat game?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Best suited name for this game.

• Airsoft
    • MILSIM
    • It really doesn't matter, I could care less.
    • This is HERESY! Changing the name should NEVER be considered!

Ok, let me be clear with my intentions regarding this poll. I am NOT insulting the game, or the players of the game by asking this question. My intention by creating this poll is to provoke contemplation of the actual NAME of the game itself "Airsoft", the origins of the name "Airsoft" and how transforming the name of the game from "Airsoft" to a different... let's say, more relavent name, might actually serve the interest of the game better.

I would like to tell you that I actually had a bad experience asking this very same question on a different Airsoft forum just recently. The forum moderator took great offense at the question and shut my thread down by locking it and even went so far as to put the acronym "MILSIM" in the website filter to censor the word permanently from the entire web site! That's right, anywhere on the forum where someone had typed the word "MILSIM" in their post, going back years of posts, is now displaying profanity characters (!@#$%^) designating censorship in place of the word MILSIM!

Lets first consider this. This combat game called Airsoft;

1. Uses guns that SIMULATE MILITARY style weapons.

2. Has game play that for the most part SIMULATES MILITARY scenarios and operations.

3. Has most players wearing gear that is meant to SIMULATE MILITARY personnel.

This game can never be considered a serious competition sport like paintball because it relies on the honor system of calling hits. Everyone know this. Just like playing cowboys and Indians, the fun of this game is all about pretend and I m a g I n a t I o n. Now, luckily for us, we have many props to kick-up the "pretend" quite a few levels. We have simulated military style guns, simulated military scenario game play, and gear to simulate military personnel. Simulation stimulates the imagination. So, my question is, why not just ditch the name Airsoft, and replace it with MILSIM? Merchants selling the guns and gear could call the guns MILSIM guns, or just plain SIM guns. And airsoft games would simply be referred to as MILSIM games. Whether it be hard core SIM, or casual SIM. Why is the serious fun of MILSIM reserved only for the hardcore players? Why not give younger players and casual players a feeling that they're engaging in MILSIM too? Just for the fun of it. And just call ALL airsoft MILSIM? Why not? It's all in fun anyway.

Yes, I know there are those who differentiate between airsoft and strict MILSIM. That's fine. But what I am saying here is this, the acronym MILSIM is suited to all levels of the game of Airsoft. From hardcore SIM, to casual SIM. And this label MILSIM has great appeal to younger players of the game. In my opinion, ditching the name airsoft and calling it MILSIM instead, would generate more interest in the game for young newcomers to it. MILSIM sounds interesting and exciting. And honestly, the label airsoft sounds bland and boring to me. NOT the game people. And NOT the players of the game. The NAME. The name, people. The game rocks. The name don't rock. And quite frankly, airsoft sounds slightly wimpy too. I mean, air + soft ? Regardless, what the name airsoft really is though, is pigeon English. Think about it. The guns were invented by non-English speaking Asians in Japan. And they needed to come up with a name for the guns to market them to Americans. And airsoft is the name they GAVE us. I know no one ever really thought about like this, but "Airsoft" is really pigeon English. We can always say, thanks for the guns, but we'll call the game what we want to now. Thanks.

Is there some kind of contract with the Asian inventors of the AEG guns that says that anyone who uses these guns have to use the name that they originally designated for the guns? Of course not. The game and the guns are are firmly entrenched here in America now, and Americans can use whatever label for the game they wish. Why not ditch the pigeon English, and Americanize this game and call it MILSIM now? Lets make this game rock from top to bottom, starting with the name, I think a change to MILSIM would invigorate overwhelming interest in the game, especially among younger people. The more people that play, the more fun. How can anyone disagree with that?

I know there are those out there who never want to change from what they're used to and comfortable with. As always. But this kind of change is good. Would there be any sponsors of airsoft games out there that would be willing to start referring to the game as MILSIM out in the field and on their websites? It would all be in the name of creating MORE excitement for the game. And getting more people INTO the game. The real trick would be to get the retail merchants of the guns to start selling them as SIM guns instead of airsoft guns. That way, if they sold the gun as a MILSIM gun, then the buyer of the gun would always refer to it as a MILSIM gun. And it would snowball from there.

You guys realize your trying to argue with a kid that is like 11 years old or so right? He posted the same crap thread on the Virginia Airsoft Force forums and got flamed royally.

I'm 46 years old bud. I have a job, a mortgage payment, two car payments, utility bills, etc. I don't see anyone having a bad time talking about this. You sound like you're here to make trouble.

You do not need to create a new post to reply to each response, you can have more than one quoted text per post.

Sorry man. FNG here. Yeah, this is a better way.

This is a case of the classic paradox, like all squares are rectangles but not all rectanges are squares.

Sorry man, squars are not rectangles, and no retangles are squares. You'll learn that in high school geometry.

This is also a case of lying just to sugarcoat the name to people who freak out. If people get scared when you talk about airsoft, don't talk about airsoft to them.

I don't see why calling an airsoft gun a SIM gun is lying. It's looks very similar to a real gun. It's made to look similar to a real gun. Similar is the root word of Simulation. A big reason why a lot of people get into the game is because the guns look so real and cool.

Oh, and yeah, you sort of have to be blind to not be able to tell a gun is airsoft until you pick it up... The inferior finishes, paint coats, off colors, plastics, springs, incorrect trades or lack thereof, etc. are a dead giveaway.

So you're saying, if you like walk up to a police officer with a Classic Army M16, and the flash supressor is painted black and you point it at him, you feel confident the cop will know it's just a SIM gun and you won't get shot? I'm just sayin. That's just a hypothetical. I wouldn't try that if I were you.

With all of ASF as my witness, I hereby swear that if people start calling airsoft guns "SIM guns" (by people, I mean 90%) I will sell ALL of my remotely military-related or airsoft-related gear, down to the last BB, and will quit airsoft forever....

I got no problem with that.

Edited by AceMcHammer

Guest Gcommando36

It should be called airsoft so liberal soccer moms don't think of it as "killing simulation."

MILSIM should be a set of rules, dictating the game being as close to real as possible without firing live ammo. However you do raise some very good points and it would probably be a good overall marketing idea. The term 'Airsoft' does sound quite wimpy.

This is ridiculous. Not only are there different, equally legitimate ways to play the game, but "Military Simulation" is WAY too broad. Armed Assault is MILSIM, too. Changing the names of guns to "MILSIM guns", that's just stupid and makes people less aware of what they're buying.

Plus that's just another way to boost the egos of idiots like specldorf (no, you little English teachers, he doesn't deserve to have his name capitalized).

MILSIM should be a set of rules, dictating the game being as close to real as possible without firing live ammo. However you do raise some very good points and it would probably be a good overall marketing idea. The term 'Airsoft' does sound quite wimpy.

Thanks for the input. Just think, if the Asian inventors of the guns had been sly enough to do a little marketing research for the American market, then MILSIM players might be playing with MILSIM guns instead of airsoft guns, and airsoft players wouldn't be calling the games and guns "airsoft". Hard core SIM players and casual SIM players might all be calling the game one name, MILSIM. And all the players would be using SIM guns instead of "airsoft" guns. It's just a fluke of Asian pigeon English. It's a shame people get so caught up in the seriousness of an acronym.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the term airsoft sounds a little wimpy. I got dumped on massively by a forum moderator and all the moderator's cronies for saying that on a recent forum. Why do these people get so overly sensitive about a GAME. Like.. it's a game people. Lighten up a little. It's supposed to be all in fun man. Little kids and young teens love military stuff. They would love playing a game they thought was "MILSIM", I gauruntee.

This is ridiculous. Not only are there different, equally legitimate ways to play the game, but "Military Simulation" is WAY too broad. Armed Assault is MILSIM, too. Changing the names of guns to "MILSIM guns", that's just stupid and makes people less aware of what they're buying.

Is it broad enough to include "airsoft" game play?

Simulation means not real, fake, close facsimile. I don't see how anyone buying a "SIM" gun could mistake it for anything but a simulation fake gun. Umm.. and by the way, Airsoft guns ARE simulation (SIM) guns, whether people call them SIM or not. You can't tell they're not real until you actually shoot one.

Plus that's just another way to boost the egos of idiots like specldorf (no, you little English teachers, he doesn't deserve to have his name capitalized).

Well, maybe what you might be calling egotistical, might be just plain having imaginative fun for others. Sounds like you're afraid some young kids out there might co-op your adult MILSIM fun by simply calling their airsoft game MILSIM instead. Why would you really care if they did or not? I don't get the anger/aggravation.

And besides all this, like I said to 'megabeast', if it weren't for the fluky pigeon English of the Asian inventors about a decade ago, you might be playing MILSIM with a MILSIM gun instead of an "airsoft" gun. If you look at it in those realistic terms, it doesn't really make any sense for anyone to get all huffy about the name, or changing it to a better well known acronym. The name airsoft is really kind of laughable when you realize it's Asian pigeon English.

MILSIM is a branch of airsoft, as are IPSC, "ArenaSoft", and standard skirmishing. Calling the entire sport one of those names would be insulting to members of the others. It should stay airsoft.

"Airsoft" is to "MILSIM" as "Accuracy" is to "Precision".

Both sets of words are used interchangeably, yet they are technically different things.

Kids and young adults don't care much about technicalities. They would rather let their imagination run wild and just have fun.

Just think if some airsoft field here in my state of VA started calling their games MILSIM and made T shirts made up that said VIRGINIA MILSIM on it. Then the teen wears the shirt to school. And his friends see the shirt and ask, "What's MILSIM man?" And then he explains that he plays "Military Simulation" games and his friends are like wow, cool as sh!@. How much do the guns cost? Where do you go to play? Then if they manage to get a gun and get into a game, they're hooked for life. Another player recruited to the ranks of the game.

Who cares if airsoft is not strictly technically MILSIM. It's close enough to call it that for the FUN of it.

Kids and young adults don't care much about technicalities. They would rather let their imagination run wild and just have fun.

MILSIM has a lot of technicalities. I'm not sure you have enough knowledge of the sport and variations thereof to be making a topic like this.

MILSIM= Military simulations, thus anything that simulates any kind of military operation could be called milsim. This leaves alot of things that aren't airsoft related that can be called MILSIM...

Ok, point well taken. But granted that airsoft can't be excluded from the term MILSIM either.

MILSIM is a branch of airsoft, as are IPSC, "ArenaSoft", and standard skirmishing. Calling the entire sport one of those names would be insulting to members of the others. It should stay airsoft.

You might be taking things to seriously if you would actually get offended if an airsoft field starting referring to their games as MILSIM games. I mean, when you play MILSIM, you're not REALLY training for a real life-and-death U.S. government military operation overseas, are you? I mean, when you play MILSIM, you're pretending just like the airsofters pretend right? Am I right or wrong? The airsofter's could call it casual MILSIM and the hard core MILSIMer's could call it just plain MILSIM couldn't they? Who's to get offended by that?

But I tell you, the field we go to, they have regular airsoft games on Saturday's for everyone including youngsters, and the adults only play the hard core sim games on Sunday's. And both day's of games are simply called airsfot games. When actually both could be called MILSIM games. Saturday's could be called Casual MILSIM and Sunday's could be called just MILSIM to designate hard core sim. But both called MILSIM. What's so offensive about that?

It should be called airsoft so liberal soccer moms don't think of it as "killing simulation."

I myself don't worry about walking on eggs to avoid offending liberal wack-job anti-gun fraidy-cats. Did you know that in England, automatic MILSIM guns are banned. They can only use semi-auto SIM guns. And they only shoot little 6mm plastic bb's! Talk about the population being de-balled. We don't want these things to happen over here. The only way to deal with these wack-job anti-gun freaks is to meet them head on, with full-on diametrically opposing ideological force.

First off, AceMcHammer, stop enlarging your entire text, it is not necessary and is annoying. And second, stop double/triple posting, use the edit button. I suggest you read over the site rules. You seem to be very one sided (to the extreme) and this is looking to become a flame war.

Back on subject, I don't see the point in changing the name. Airsoft works, Mil-Sim is simply a style of airsoft based more on reality (realistic magazine loads, etc).

Edited by nieb15

First off, AceMcHammer, stop enlargin your entire text, it is not necessary and is annoying. And second, stop double/triple posting, use the edit button. I suggest you read over the site rules. You seem to be very one sided (to the extreme) and this is looking to become a flame war.

Uhhh, then why is there an option to enlarge the text. Why don't the mods take the option out if it's so annoying? It's not like I'm yelling, typing in all caps.

What are you talking about double and triple posting? I'm replying to each person that I feel like I have a relevant answer to. Who are you to tell me I need to shut up and not talk to anyone that's talking to me? I'm making several different points to support my poll that are NOT duplicate posts like you are implying. What's wrong with that?

And this thread is no where near a flame war. I don't see anyone talking in an angry tone or using profantiy of making threats. Flame war? Maybe you just don't like the poll and my view on the subject. So don't worry about it maybe go on to some other thread maybe? I don't know what to tell you.

Back on subject, I don't see the point in changing the name. Airsoft works, Mil-Sim is simply a style of airsoft based more on reality (realistic magazine loads, etc)..

Ok, I appreciate your input. I have no plans of hurling insults at you because you disagree.

Edited by AceMcHammer

Airsoft really isn't milsim its actually Larping (live action Role playing).

FINALLY!! Someone else sees it for what is really is!

Everytime I say that the comment gets ignored. I believe it gets ignored because people don't want to associate themselves with the BRAVEHEART era LARPers, since they are viewed as the dorkiest of dorks. If the shoe fits wear it. Ever since I went to my first big op I thought I was playing LARP in camo with a machine gun, instead of LARP with fake armor and swords.

+1

It should stay 'Airsoft' also because kids shooting each other in their backyards should not get the idea that they are simulating the military. I don't even think people playing real airsoft matches should get it in their heads that they are simulating the military, out of respect for the armed forces.

(Scavengre Says: Hey now thats Taboo!)

Edited by Scavengre

Yeah the last thing we need are some 14 yr olds running around in their jeans and t-shirt going to say they're about to play "MILSIM".

MILSIM is a type of airsoft game. Just as you have REC (Recreation) airsoft games.

Let's not dilute the true meaning of MILSIM...

MILSIM has a lot of technicalities. I'm not sure you have enough knowledge of the sport and variations thereof to be making a topic like this.

A lot of people seem to be missing my point. I know casual airsoft games with variations of silly kit and so forth is not technically MILSIM. The point I'm making is that, why not just CALL it MILSIM for the f u n o f I t .

Yeah the last thing we need are some 14 yr olds running around in their jeans and t-shirt going to say they're about to play "MILSIM".

MILSIM is a type of airsoft game. Just as you have REC (Recreation) airsoft games.

Let's not dilute the true meaning of MILSIM...

Hypothetical question: If the Asian inventors of the AEG guns had come up with the name SIM gun, instead of the pigion English term "Airsoft" gun, then what would the game be called using these SIM guns?

Edited by AceMcHammer

Use the edit button....

No, it should not be named milsim because if a friend calls you up and asks you if you want to go to a milsim match with his buddies, you say yes. Then when you show up, you find out they are using RS m4s and simunition (yea, I know civilians cant buy it, but what if). You're pretty much screwed

What are you talking about double and triple posting? I'm replying to each person that I feel like I have a relevant answer to. Who are you to tell me I need to shut up and not talk to anyone that's talking to me? I'm making several different points to support my poll that are NOT duplicate posts like you are implying. What's wrong with that?

You do not need to create a new post to reply to each response, you can have more than one quoted text per post.

Edited by nieb15

Use the edit button....

No, it should not be named milsim because if a friend calls you up and asks you if you want to go to a milsim match with his buddies, you say yes. Then when you show up, you find out they are using RS m4s and simunition (yea, I know civilians cant buy it, but what if). You're pretty much screwed

I'm new to this forum. You're the second person to tell me to use the edit button. What do you mean? I do not want to edit my original post that I made when I made the poll. But I still want to reply to people making comments. So I click on their comment, read it, then hit the reply button. I don't see any other way to do it.

You guys realize your trying to argue with a kid that is like 11 years old or so right? He posted the same crap thread on the Virginia Airsoft Force forums and got flamed royally.

lol, in that case I give up.

This is a case of the classic paradox, like all squares are rectangles but not all rectanges are squares.

This is also a case of lying just to sugarcoat the name to people who freak out. If people get scared when you talk about airsoft, don't talk about airsoft to them.

Oh, and yeah, you sort of have to be blind to not be able to tell a gun is airsoft until you pick it up... The inferior finishes, paint coats, off colors, plastics, springs, incorrect trades or lack thereof, etc. are a dead giveaway.

With all of ASF as my witness, I hereby swear that if people start calling airsoft guns "SIM guns" (by people, I mean 90%) I will sell ALL of my remotely military-related or airsoft-related gear, down to the last BB, and will quit airsoft forever. It's that ridiculous of a concept.

EDIT: Nieb, he's in outline...

Edited by Kavurcen

With all of ASF as my witness, I hereby swear that if people start calling airsoft guns "SIM guns" (by people, I mean 90%) I will sell ALL of my remotely military-related or airsoft-related gear, down to the last BB, and will quit airsoft forever. It's that ridiculous of a concept.

EDIT: Nieb, he's in outline...

Good way to put it... and I agree with you.

Mil-Sim is a lot different then airsofting... a lot.

It should not be called MILSIM all the time.

I DO MILSIM as much as I PLAY Airsoft. MILSIM is a type of scenario for Airsoft. Paintballers also do MILSIM. Calling what we do specifically MILSIM would take away from the fact that anybody can play the game of Airsoft. MILSIM involves tactics and specifics. Airsoft is just a fun game of friends shooting plastic BBs at one another. Also not all airsoft guns are based on real guns, a few are made specifically for airsoft or modeled off a movie prop guns(I.e. Aliens Pulse rifle, Bladerunners pistol).

Your are losing your argument and are repeating yourself. As you have seen we do NOT want to call our beloved sport MILSIM.

Please cease and desist!

Funny thing is, Mr. AceMcHammer, I learned this in high school geometry.

Airsoft is not milsim.

Milsim is the epitomy of anal-retentive airsoft. Everything that is done in real life, is done in milsim.

Put a c-mag on an mp5sd6, and tell me it's milsim. Oh, it's not? Well, gee. I guess we can't call airsoft milsim. We wouldn't want to call something a name that it isn't.

OP Milsim events are done in paintball too. Milsim is how it's played, not what is played.

And, it's not called that "for the fun of it" because it really doesn't make sense. I always assumed, Airsoft had something to do with SOFT AIR shots. The term you're looking to use has already been coined into a niche, and it's difficult to reapply that to something that doesn't always match up to it's current definition.

Edited by TerminalMan

A lot of people seem to be missing my point. I know casual airsoft games with variations of silly kit and so forth is not technically MILSIM. The point I'm making is that, why not just CALL it MILSIM for the f u n o f I t .

Because 1) that's pointless and 2) it would be TECHNICALLY wrong at times.

Hypothetical question: If the Asian inventors of the AEG guns had come up with the name SIM gun, instead of the pigion English term "Airsoft" gun, then what would the game be called using these SIM guns?

Actually the first "airsoft" or "soft air" guns were not invented by any country in Asia. Its roots can actually be traced back to America a few decades ago. It ended up being very popular in Japan where fire arms aren't legal to own by its citizens and the Japanese pretty much revolutionized airsoft. Yes they invented the first AEG's but the term "airsoft" was already around.

But since you raised a hypothetical question I suppose.

Funny thing is, Mr. AceMcHammer, I learned this in high school geometry.

Better still, I learned it in 6th grade. :lol: