AceMcHammer

Rename Airsoft to MILSIM?

Which title best designates a cooler image for this combat game?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Best suited name for this game.

• Airsoft
    • MILSIM
    • It really doesn't matter, I could care less.
    • This is HERESY! Changing the name should NEVER be considered!

Actually the first "airsoft" or "soft air" guns were not invented by any country in Asia. Its roots can actually be traced back to America a few decades ago. It ended up being very popular in Japan where fire arms aren't legal to own by its citizens and the Japanese pretty much revolutionized airsoft. Yes they invented the first AEG's but the term "airsoft" was already around.

But since you raised a hypothetical question I suppose.

You are correct the true origin is trace back to US. In Japan they are call Model Guns in the beginning and airsoft game are call Survival Games.

yep, it's been repeatedly covered that mil-sim is a type of gameplay & not a description of the weapons. To change it would cause confusion amongst various groups & events because they would have to come up with new terms to describe the level of immersion.

People who are very into milsim under it's current meaning would NOT be pleased to show up at a "milsim" event & find it's anything up to & including a crappy free-for-all just because someone decided to mis-use the terminology. People who are not into milsim would NOT be pleased to find die-hard players at their events who do nothing but complain because they were expecting something more/different.

Heck if we want to change the name of it to something incorrect just f o r t h e f u n o f I t, I vote for calling it dog-buggering.

"What'd you do this weekend bob?"

"well some friends & I went to the woods & did some dog-buggering. It was great!"

Renaming airsoft to MilSim..hmmm. MilSim means Military Simulation, and believe it or not paintballers play MilSim often. It refers to the kind of game.

Changing the name to something besides airsoft might make it more obvious to people that airsoft is dangerous because the word "soft" makes them seem like toy guns.

Airsoft is Airsoft, Milsim is Milsim... Airsoft somtimes has aspects of Milsim but they are two different things... we could have a zombie airsoft game and its not milsim so you wouldnt wanna call it a Zombie milsim game!?

He tried to start a revolution, failed, and ran away. Nice.

Sorry bud, wrong. That other forum moderator locked the thread before I even got the chance to reply to all the hysterical whining. And then when I tried to post a different separate thread asking any vaugely similar questions the forum moderator deleted my posts immediately. I never even got the chance to respond. I'm glad THIS thread didn't get locked so that I could continue making replies. I got all the energy in the world to go round after round in support of any post I make. The moderators of this forum won't lock this thread because of me. I know how to keep the tone of my replies within the forum rules. It'll be the immature responders to my thread (see quote above) trying to start a flame war that'll get this thread locked. Not me. I garuntee.

Looks like a few people actually voted for the idea to change it to MILSIM. And a few voted that they could care less. So it looks like some people playing the gamg have a good sense of humour at any rate. Really, I could care less. I just thought it would be cooler for the younger players. It's supposed to be all in fun.

The topic of the origins of the guns and the origins of the name of the game actually came up in my thread, which I find interesting. That's the kind of conversatioin I was shooting for to start up. I don't really get the hysterical whining about a harmless suggestion.

LOL! And he tried to blame me for it on another forum! :a-laugh:

What exactly did I try to "blame" on you? Since you were under the false impression that I was my 11 year old son, I told the dude on the other forum that you had tried to start a flame war with me on this forum, so I then asked him to delete all my threads and posts on the other forum because I didn't want some 30 year old inbred being able to track down my 11 year old son and hassle him out in the field about some stupid crap from some airsfot forum that he know's absolutely nothing about.

I got all the engery in the world to go round after round with you bud. If the mods lock this thread, it's not my choice.~

I think we scared the OP off with this. He hasn't been on since Oct. 21st

Naw, just got bored with it. It looked like everyone had said everything they had to say about it, and some dude posted BEGGING me not to mention the topic anymore like it was killin' him to even think about (ha ha! I don't get it) so... I abated. I didn't want to get the thread locked up by being to "forcefull" with my opinion. Opinons are like A holes, everyone's got one. I just check back ever so often to see if there are any more replies or votes.

I think that airsoft should refer to the Walmart stuff. It would be neat if people with full camo/gear and nice guns (not shoddy springers) would be called MILSIMers, playing MILSIM games.

When I talk to people about my hobby, I sometimes say that I play MILSIM with replica firearms that shoot ballistic bullets. This dissociates our airsoft from the airsoft of the Walmart-goers.

I totally see where you're coming from AceHammer.

To me this is the real crux of the issue:

If all airsoft guns were relatively the same, it wouldn't matter. However, the difference in quality/realism among airsoft guns is vast, and some separation might be necessary.

There are airsoft guns that shoot a 6mm BB at 70fps and cost less than $3.00.

There are airsoft guns that shoot a 6mm BB at 550fps and cost well over $1,000.00

When the term "airsoft" is heard, many different things come to mind for many different people. Most people probably think of the $10-$25 guns they've seen at Wal-mart or DSG, whereas many of us on these forums think towards Tokyo Marui and Classic Army.

At the same time, when I talk about having an airsoft game with people I know, most of them think that I'm talking about using my $15 springer to shoot my friends in the backyard. On the contrary, I think about driving an hour to get together with 10-40 guys packing $1,000's worth of AEG's and military gear.

There should be a distinction, but I'm not sure what it should be.

Paintball does not have this problem. Although inexpensive paintball guns can be purchased at Wal-Mart, they still shoot a standard paintball at a decent fps. The price of paintball guns varies drastically, but the performance/use/realism of them does not. They can be regulated with different air/C02 rigs, but I've never heard of anyone having a paintball game where some guns are shooting paintballs 20ft at 90fps and other guns are shooting paintballs 300ft at 600fps. And no matter how hard they try, paintball guns just don't have the realistic look of many airsoft guns.

I'm not a fan of calling all Wal-Mart guns "airsoft" and all realistic guns "Milsim," but I do think a better distinction could be made.

I don't think a distinction between the actual guns can ever be made (besides System call their guns 'Personal Training Weapons'), but it would definately go a long way to change the way we refer to our airsoft activities.

I know a lot of people will hate this, but I would suggest that any airsoft game involving non-Walmart-quality guns and use of military gear/objectives be deemed a "MILSIM" game. Of course there are different degrees of MILSIM, and some are going to be more realistic than others, but I think it's definately a step in the right direction.

At least when you say "I'm going to a Military-simulation airsoft game" people will know that you're not talking about running around in the back yard shooting eachother with transparent springers.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

Hmm... While I am not in favor of calling the entire sport "MilSim," I agree that "Airsoft" is a pretty :censored2: name. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and change the name "Airsoft" to something... less vague and subtley weak sounding.

AirSim? Air powered Simulation, ie. AirSim guns.

RecSim? Recreational Simulation?

I mean, considering the infrastructure built up around the name Airsoft, it is completely meaningless to discuss this, but...