Sign in to follow this  
G36canen

The Truth About LIPOS!

I've been using Lipos for years in many different types of guns and I've never had any problems but I think its funny how people still think that they are "risky" or "dangerous" to use. I always hear kids talking about guns not being "lipo ready" and stuff like that and I just think its all marketing crap. Of course from severe abuse or improper use they can be dangerous, but not if you are smart about them. They are smaller, more powerful, and have higher capacities than standard batteries so I don't get why people don't use them more. I found this vid and thought it was a pretty good example of their application and debunks a few myths about these useful batteries and I wanted to share with you guys:

Edited by G36canen

I've been using Lipos for years in many different types of guns and I've never had any problems but I think its funny how people still think that they are "risky" or "dangerous" to use. I always hear kids talking about guns not being "lipo ready" and stuff like that and I just think its all marketing crap. Of course from severe abuse or improper use they can be dangerous, but not if you are smart about them. They are smaller, more powerful, and have higher capacities than standard batteries so I don't get why people don't use them more. I found this vid and thought it was a pretty good example of their application and debunks a few myths about these useful batteries and I wanted to share with you guys:

I think that if I needed a LiPo for one of my guns I'd easily be able to take care of it without any problems. Yes they are much more advanced batteries than NiMH/NiCd batteries. The problem is I don't NEED the extra power, capacity, and smaller size, and I'm in some cases paying 2x-3x as much for a quality LiPo than a quality NiMH.

Guest Gcommando36
I always hear kids talking about guns not being "lipo ready" and stuff like that and I just think its all marketing crap.

It is all marketing crap. Every AEG is "lipo ready", but some will break A LOT faster than others because they will be shooting more.

I watched that video right before I saw this thread (I'm a huge fan of AATV), and I really hope that it can get the point across that LIPOS AREN'T DANGEROUS UNLESS YOU TREAT THEM HORRIBLY. Anybody with a brain won't torture their expensive battery as much as AATV did.

Guest OpSic66
It is all marketing crap. Every AEG is "lipo ready", but some will break A LOT faster than others because they will be shooting more.

You obviously know NOTHING about li-po batteries, and their care, use, storage etc. I keep hearing this same line of BS from people who "internet study" the battery packs, and read ALL the wrong information. Do yourself a HUGE favor, read the damned instructions ON or that come with the battery.

You will find that Li-po's DO, CAN and WILL pose an extreme fire risk if: Charged, Stored, or Used incorrectly. This is NOT BS. Also if over discharged beyond a certain extend, the pack is 100% useless. If the pack is over charged beyond a certain extend it is 100% useless, and a huge fire risk. If the pack is torn, shot open, ripped open, cut, shorted out. It poses an extreme fire danger.

NO GUN on the market, currently is "li-po ready" nor "Li-po safe". Not many guns have a short circuit protection (and many that do, are often removed or modified by the owner). Almost ALL "li-po ready" guns DO NOT have an over discharge protection feature to keep you from ruining the battery.

Shooting more - has absolutely little to do with anything. If you actually knew about battery packs and their MAH output rate, and capable current draw, perhaps you would understand the difference. "Shooting more" is certainly not the only additional stress the gun will see. Just because a gun's gearbox can tolerate the abuse a li-po pack will put it through. Doesn't mean ANYTHING. My CA M15A4 went over 100,000 rounds on a 9.6v 2800 or 3300 Mah pack. Does that mean it could tolerate a li-po. Sure, MAYBE. Am I going to risk it. Not in the least.

Do a bit of homework, before jumping on a soap box and claiming to the world, that of what many people whom have been there and done that before, have done all the work to find out everything about what they are dealing with, are wrong.

(I've flown R/C Airplanes on LI-Po packs for YEARS. I've seen everything happen. Under voltage, over charging, mid air collisions, etc... Seen Li-po fires, seen chargers short out while charging and take out packs and start fires.)

What has been said about li-po's ARE NOT MYTH'S. While in some cases they may be an extreme case scenario, the risks are very much real.

...and it's 50$ for a charger/balancer which is more than 2x the cost of a Ni-Cad/NiMH smart-charger.

If you know where to get li-po's and Ni-mh's they're are almost neck and neck in price currently. Again that IS if you know where to get them. Heck sometimes you can find Li-po's cheaper then a comparable ni-mh. However, I personally wouldn't trust those li-po's very far.

Edited by OpSic66

...and it's 50$ for a charger/balancer which is more than 2x the cost of a Ni-Cad/NiMH smart-charger.

go to evike, you can get a combo package for $55 which includes a charger/balancer and a 20c 11.1v lipo...

my Nimh/smart charger combo cost me $50.

7.4V 1800mAh 25C RC Li-Po Battery $14 Item number: 330381927452

Balancing lipo charger $10.99 Item number: 220479932740

People don't know how to shop these days. Thats like, $30....

OpSic, you are partially right about the "lipo readiness"... Some people need their AEG's extremely prepared for things like high ROF or FPS when they don't really need to, but it's personal preference. I don't bother reinforcing guns much. I run stock AEG's at upwards of 30RPS (Motor is changes, connectors are too, and the piston is AoE corrected, etc) and I rarely ever break anything. Same with lipo's. I don't bother putting MOSFET's in my guns, and I've never worn out any trigger contacts--ever. I know I SHOULD be using one, but I never do. I still have yet to damage the first lipo I have ever had, and it's been pretty abused. You are right that these safety risks ARE there, but they are still over exaggerated, and blown out of proportion way too much. The risks coming from lipo's are mainly in older lipo's (From around 2003 I think?) Or so I have heard from RC car users that have been dealing with lipo's longer than airsofters. Not 100% sure if that's true though, I've never used any particularly old lipo's.

You are right that these safety risks ARE there, but they are still over exaggerated

you know what's also over exaggerated?

Smokey the Bear and fire fires......

and Smoking causes cancer.....

[/sarcasm]

just saying, but still people do it or make it happen

Edited by Tobi-Kun

I've had had more dangerous problems with NiMh/NiCd batteries than lipo's too, actually.... One of my G&P 9.6v batteries had a short then fire came out where the wires came in, and it got reaalllyyyy hot... And so far, zero problems with lipos. Just saying....

I was considering one for my AEP glock.. but it wouldn't fit...

I saw one catch fire at the store after it got hit by a bb through an open hole in an M4 front stock (!)

I saw another one smoke out when the trigger on a gun shorted.

Seriously, if I could build my trigger assy. solidly, AND I made sure I had a light fuse in the gun, AND I could make sure that the battery is protected and snug in place where it could not get bent or otherwise damaged, I would consider running a lipo... but most people don't take these precautions... and end up with issues like the ones I listed above.

Again, note that I first noted that I was considering using one in my own gun... this was AFTER both of the other incidents...

NO GUN on the market, currently is "li-po ready" nor "Li-po safe"... ranting about electrical issues of the wiring that can cause dangerous damage to the lipo

OK, if you don't recommend the shoddy stock wiring of AEGs: What kind of wire to you recommend for the rewiring job to use with a lipo? What's better than the fuse to protect from overexertion of the lipo? Will a capacitor bank really make an improvement when used with a lipo?

I'm still really interested in trying some lipos.

I was considering one for my AEP glock.. but it wouldn't fit...

I saw one catch fire at the store after it got hit by a bb through an open hole in an M4 front stock (!)

They make lipo's that can fit in your AEP. Golgo13 made a guide on how to do it.

Having your lipo catch fire isn't really a problem anymore....

Guest OpSic66
Having your lipo catch fire isn't really a problem anymore....

Yet another fallacy. They have not invented fire proof li-po's. And you most definitely can't speak for everyone ability to deal with one correctly.

I use lipos in all my guns which are modified to handle lipos and RCs and I can say they have given me little to no problems.

The basic minimum I do to make a gun ready for a lipo battery is the installation of a mosfet, metal bushings, shaving off the second tooth of the piston, and installing a 30 amp fuse.

Lipos do catch fire, but that can be prevented with the proper care and use of the battery which does not involving shooting the battery pack or poking it with a stick.

I have heard that Kong Power makes a lipo pack that does not combust, but the pack still gets hot enough to set surrounding objects on fire or injure anyone holding the battery.

Edited by Suzaku

Guest OpSic66
I use lipos in all my guns which are modified to handle lipos and RCs and I can say they have given me little to no problems.

The basic minimum I do to make a gun ready for a lipo battery is the installation of a mosfet, metal bushings, shaving off the second tooth of the piston, and installing a 30 amp fuse.

Lipos do catch fire, but that can be prevented with the proper care and use of the battery which does not involving shooting the battery pack or poking it with a stick.

I have heard that Kong Power makes a lipo pack that does not combust, but the pack still gets hot enough to set surrounding objects on fire or injure anyone holding the battery.

I'll agree with you on the 1 point. I myself, have yet to have one of MY packs catch fire. Also, there is 1 kind of "lithium based" cell coming to market that will NOT catch fire durring chargine, like the Li-Po and Li-Ion.

They are the Lithium Phosphate (LiFePo4) aka LFP packs.

Edited by OpSic66

I have lipos in two dif guns. the evike 11.1 brick and a hot power 7.4 thick stick. I charge them with an e-sky lipo charger

theyve worked pretty well for me but they always worry me. I take good care of them and my guns but theres always that what if? in the back of my head

khmountain has a lot of firefox and hot power lipos for prices under 20 bucks pretty much. they seem to all be in the same price range as the firefox nimh and nicads. plus they have voltage meters and alarms that I assume are meant to be attatched to the battery while its in use in your gun given that you have enough free space for the little microchip thing

I been wanting to get one for mine but I always forget