LordJackel

To Old for this? - I may be a Newbie

Hey Everyone! My name is Sean from Central Indiana. I have been lurking around the forums for awhile now and wanted to make it official and introduce myself. I purchased my first Airsoft about 10 years ago. Back then it wasn't really a sport/game it was just a way for gun shooters to "shoot" indoors and without the high expense of ammo. So I have a Glock 17C GBB (I have no idea what brand and there doesn't appear to be any logos with exception of where a Glock serial number would be reads "CQB911US")

I do have one question and I mean no disrespect to anyone here...but am I too old for airsoft? I am 36 (and have a 6 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter who love shooting) but mostly what I see on the forum and in pictures are really young people playing (teens and early 20's). Just curious am I an old timer here?? LOL

Guest Gcommando36

Welcome to the forums! I don't think you would be considered "old". The head admin of my local forum is in his 40's or 50's.

Edited by Gcommando36

no way! no such thing as "too old for airsoft" :) Yes there are a LOT of younger kids who play but I think the older you are the more seriously and tactically you take the game. Plus you have more $ to spend on the sport usually :) lol Just think the cost of one range trip with your firearms could buy you a new airsoft gun lol

Hey Everyone! My name is Sean from Central Indiana. I have been lurking around the forums for awhile now and wanted to make it official and introduce myself. I purchased my first Airsoft about 10 years ago. Back then it wasn't really a sport/game it was just a way for gun shooters to "shoot" indoors and without the high expense of ammo. So I have a Glock 17C GBB (I have no idea what brand and there doesn't appear to be any logos with exception of where a Glock serial number would be reads "CQB911US")

I do have one question and I mean no disrespect to anyone here...but am I too old for airsoft? I am 36 (and have a 6 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter who love shooting) but mostly what I see on the forum and in pictures are really young people playing (teens and early 20's). Just curious am I an old timer here?? LOL

Your never too old for airsoft as long as you enjoy it why should age matter? just like any other hobby. The reason why you probably see alot of young people is because they/we are all into COD/BF/any other war game and to recreate that or any war movie we turn to airsoft. Also youngens who want to join the military and cant due to their age restriction turn to airsoft while people who go to the military usually stop playing airsoft because they are in the military. I think when I have kids I would love to introduce them to airsoft as it would be another alternative then having them playing video games all day.

Your never too old for airsoft as long as you enjoy it why should age matter? just like any other hobby. The reason why you probably see alot of young people is because they/we are all into COD/BF/any other war game and to recreate that or any war movie we turn to airsoft. Also youngens who want to join the military and cant due to their age restriction turn to airsoft while people who go to the military usually stop playing airsoft because they are in the military. I think when I have kids I would love to introduce them to airsoft as it would be another alternative then having them playing video games all day.

Thanks Everyone for the Welcome and reassurance. My kids are both wanting to get into it. I will probably buy my son an AEP (I think this is right still learning the acroynms...lol) they are cheap and he will have fun blasting off with it. For my daughter I am not sure yet I am thinking a Galaxy MOD5 and see how she does. For me I am leaning towards a SCAR model just need to figure out which one (I will probably post in that section asking for comments).

For your son, I know I may be hated for saying this but possibly look into getting him an Tokyo Marui EBB as his first gun? It would have a minor blowback and run off I believe AAA batteries and shoot at a low FPS. Great for little children when learning because if the gun were to go off when it shouldnt it would be traveling slower then most guns. This shouldnt really be used for any real gaming though but a great start for basic gun handling and safety learning. As for your daughter I have heard great things about Galaxy so go for that or ask other members who have had the gun. As for yourself I have never bought clones and never had any trouble with them(as long as you don't buy higher end guns used from shady users). My personal advice is get yourself a quality gun and it will last you longer and have a higher resell value in case you choose to sell it. Hope this helped.

For your son, I know I may be hated for saying this but possibly look into getting him an Tokyo Marui EBB as his first gun? It would have a minor blowback and run off I believe AAA batteries and shoot at a low FPS. Great for little children when learning because if the gun were to go off when it shouldnt it would be traveling slower then most guns. This shouldnt really be used for any real gaming though but a great start for basic gun handling and safety learning. As for your daughter I have heard great things about Galaxy so go for that or ask other members who have had the gun. As for yourself I have never bought clones and never had any trouble with them(as long as you don't buy higher end guns used from shady users). My personal advice is get yourself a quality gun and it will last you longer and have a higher resell value in case you choose to sell it. Hope this helped.

Thanks for the advise. For my son that is exactly the type of gun I am thinking of. He has a springer type (was a gift from his mom) now and he just can't operate it (too hard to pull back).

Welcome. Your G17 is probably a KSC. My KSC G18c has the same serial number, along with other KSC glocks.

Never too old for airsoft. Namloot on here I believe is 50years old.

Dboys makes a great and cheap SCAR.

I agree, an AEP would be perfect for your son.

Ha! Too old, nonsense.

Im 21 and I am the youngest member of our squad. The average airsofter age is 32 for our field. Alex, my squad leader is 41 and our support gunner is 34.

So no, your not too old. Enjoy airsoft and use your age to your advantage and out smart the little buggers.

Yes, but it doesn't matter. One of the guys I normally run with is a Vietnam Vet and a good number of other players near me are in their 30's and 40's. Older players tend to have less of a presence online but are not uncommon in person.

I prefer playing with the older crowd. They take the game seriously and come up with some awesome tactics. Most of the older players are military vets or currently in service.

"I do have one question and I mean no disrespect to anyone here...but am I too old for airsoft?"

No, it does not matter your age just as long as you are out playing airsoft and having fun.

Edited by Private Parts

Are you a member of the Indiana Airsoft Association? If so you should join ASAP, as it is pretty much the only way you can play airsoft in Indiana outside of the backyard level.

Brother I'll be 38 in February, got two kids under the age of 6, work two jobs, and still play airsoft damn near every Sunday! Rock on bro, and get out there and play! Though you will take your fair share of "old man" jokes....

I'm 37...two decades of paintball and two years in airsoft.

having just as much fun now, as I did when I was younger. Just takes a little longer to recover the next day. :a-thumbsup:

I find airsoft a great outlet and definitely a motivator to keep fit and train.

A lot of the regular players I play along side of are in their late 20's to early 40's.

You're never too old. If you can get up and play, you're just fine. You will, however, see quite a lot of younger kids playing Airsoft. A lot of good can really come from it, and after a while you'll quickly meet more and more people your own age that you can set up private matches with if you choose.

Theres a guy at my local field who plays with a CANE. He owns us everytime, he's legit.

And yeah, you're gun is KSC.

Edited by The Vainguard

Welcome. Your G17 is probably a KSC. My KSC G18c has the same serial number, along with other KSC glocks.

Never too old for airsoft. Namloot on here I believe is 50years old.

Dboys makes a great and cheap SCAR.

I agree, an AEP would be perfect for your son.

Thanks for the gun info...I am thinking it is actually a G23C version so going to pick up a couple more mags for it. Also, I am thinking the Dboy gets the vote to get started with.

Yes, but it doesn't matter. One of the guys I normally run with is a Vietnam Vet and a good number of other players near me are in their 30's and 40's. Older players tend to have less of a presence online but are not uncommon in person.

I am glad to hear that. Thanks for the reassurance. I used to be a tactical training contractor in Detroit wish we had had Airsoft back then...LOL

Are you a member of the Indiana Airsoft Association? If so you should join ASAP, as it is pretty much the only way you can play airsoft in Indiana outside of the backyard level.

I am going to check them out right now. I am getting more excited about doing this everyday and the more I read about it...time to get out and do it now.

Ok you all are crackin me up , Im 53 and I run , crawl , jump and shoot with the young ones and older ones in our squad . Its about getting out there and having fun .

Thanks Everyone for the warm welcome and calming my "old man" fears. LOL

I have another question...are their many girls that play? I ask as my daughter is interested and I am thinking this could be a really cool family activity as we all love the outdoors.

hey sean my name is jason I from texas and I still play andi am 38 its fun watching the young pups run lol :a-salute: