Sign in to follow this  
Miles, killer

Airsoft gun safety and handling etc...

Hey, I just wanted to talk to you guys about a topic that really came apparent to me in a game I played on the 28th.

Whilst spending some time in the safe zone/on the range I noticed a lot of people (mainly younger players) pointing guns at each other, at one point even in the safe zone, one "kid" actually pointed his gun at anthers face and fired, no safety glasses or anything. Now I know I may sound like I'm over reacting or something but I am a strong believer of the "treat every gun as if it’s loaded firearm”, regardless of whether your fingers of the trigger or there's nothing in the chamber etc... and this really made me want to shout at him (I didn't for the reason I wanted to have a nice day)

Again, I know I may sound like I'm over reacting but I really felt strongly about this, what if there had been a BB in the gun and it had fired and taken his eye out ?, I just wanted to know what you guys think, should I have said something? If you were in this situation what would you have done?

Edit: Sorry for posting this in the incorrect section, would a moderator please move to the 'Safety Warnings, Legal & Dumb Questions' Sub Forum :)

Edited by Miles-1877

"treat every gun as if it’s loaded firearm”

I think you'll find here that most people are of the same opinion. Yes, say something to them. Will they be brats and probably make fun of you and continue to be idiots? Maybe, but at least you tried. If it's really a problem talk to the adults responsible for these kids.

It starts with stupid stuff like that and then either someone loses an eye OR someone is dumb with an airsoft gun and gets tragically shot by the cops.

You're not over reacting. The ways those kids were acting is unsafe and stupid. As an admin of the field I play at I am well aware of this kind of stuff and constantly have to ask players to take their mags out or stop pointing their guns at me (though most of the time it's an accident). Notify the field admins of the problem and ask them to handle it so as to make the field more enjoyable and safe for everyone.

I think you'll find here that most people are of the same opinion. Yes, say something to them. Will they be brats and probably make fun of you and continue to be idiots? Maybe, but at least you tried. If it's really a problem talk to the adults responsible for these kids.

It starts with stupid stuff like that and then either someone loses an eye OR someone is dumb with an airsoft gun and gets tragically shot by the cops.

I agree. Always remember, SAFETY 1st!!

Guest Gcommando36

I'm 12 and I take gun safety seriously, but I know tons of people who don't. When I'm with friends, they're occasionally pointing loaded airsoft guns at each other. I tell them to take their fingers out of the trigger guard and point their guns somewhere else. They just say stuff along the lines of "The safety is on, it can't fire". I'm always paranoid when any type of projectile shooting device is aimed at me, even nerf guns.

I was actually at the same skirmish and I did see the 'kids' doing it. I must say it's something that very rarely happens at our local site, but I'm assuming its related to the fact that it's just been Christmas and all the new 'kids' have got their new weapons.

My view on the matter is exactly the same, treat every weapon as though it is a loaded firearm. That way nothing can go wrong because if you're not pointing it at somebody then it simply cannot cause injury. Also, by teaching younger players the basics of gun handling they will grow up to be responsible adults which is exactly how everyone who plays Airsoft should be.

The last thing that is needed is for someone to have an eye out. The media would be all over it and that is not something that is needed given the current state of Airsoft here in the United Kingdom, or anywhere for that matter.

This leads back to the original idea about teaching gun safety. By teaching people and ensuring that they are handling all weapons correctly, then an injury is highly unlikely, and will be of benefit to everyone as a whole.

Edited by Tom-843

I find myself crowing at every kid in damn near every skirmish I attend that's not my team practice days. They have no clue what muzzle discipline is. But keep it up, because constantly bringing it to their attention is the only way to keep it fresh in everyone's head...

Guest Gcommando36

If you just scold them a few times they'll just point at each other when you're not looking. If you scold them enough times, they won't point at each other even when you're not looking. The more you tell them, the less you'll have to later.

+ 1 to everything that's been said

I've always been a big fan of the phrase "The only gun that kills someone is the unloaded one"

Depending on the age of the person who shot at the face, and the gun. I would have taken it and broken it over my knee

However, I'm not the best person when it comes down to it. I like pointing my gun at people (why are you in airsoft if you don't), and do like randomly shooting my brother, even in the house

But I never aim at the face, and always at the legs

Maybe I'm a hypocrite...

Guest RAIDER SIX

They are called AEG's Automatic Electric Guns. The key word being guns. If you can't exercise basic firearm safety then you have no business owning an AEG or playing airsoft. Pointing an AEG at another person in a safe area, where everyone is likely without eye protection, is a major error in judgement. Furthermore I would hardly trust such a person to make proper judgement calls about things such as not intentionally aiming for the head, minimum engagment distance, or any other safety rule. I would suggest a strong reminder of the rules, and their seriouness with a good long temporary ban from the field. Follow that up with close monitoring and scrutiny upon their return untill the individual proves themself to be trust worthy.

Ive gotten to the point that if I see a gun pointed at me dileberatly I will flat out smack the barrel away from my body and say "don't point that f*&$(*& at me!" I don't care how they perceive me, Im a really nice guy, but Ive realized sometimes you need to be an :censored2: to get people to pay attention.

Ive gotten to the point that if I see a gun pointed at me dileberatly I will flat out smack the barrel away from my body and say "don't point that f*&$(*& at me!" I don't care how they perceive me, Im a really nice guy, but Ive realized sometimes you need to be an :censored2: to get people to pay attention.

I can see why you would do that. I don't think anybody appreciates having a gun pointed dierectly in their face, especially if you were not wearing eye protection because you're in the safe zone.

As for the people that do this, they should definitely be given a stern talking to, and if they repeat these actions they should be banned from the site. Nobody wants an unsafe player at the same skirmish site as themselves.

Edited by Tom-843

I'm sorry I am horrible(yelling at people who don't follow it type of way) with Gun discipline, mainly cause I have seen what happens when people think a guns unloaded and isn't.

I will yell at people for pointing guns at people in safe zones. I have actually ripped a gun from someones hand for pointing it at me in the safe zone(I apologized later and explained why).

I personally think that fields should require a class on gun safety before people can play there but that's my opinion.

Guest OpSic66
They have no clue what muzzle discipline is.

I actually will tell people I'm playing with, who I observe doing this correctly: "Good move, nice muzzle discipline"...

You're not over reacting. The ways those kids were acting is unsafe and stupid. As an admin of the field I play at I am well aware of this kind of stuff and constantly have to ask players to take their mags out or stop pointing their guns at me (though most of the time it's an accident). Notify the field admins of the problem and ask them to handle it so as to make the field more enjoyable and safe for everyone.

I can't even count how many times this has happened. Heck, I've done it myself a few times accidentally of course***. It's not always easy to be 100% aware of your surroundings, especially when multiple different things are going on.

In the open "loadout" areas, every field I play on requires mags out. And I am commonly seeing paintball barrel condoms, being used more and more now. I don't personally like the idea, but I think it's a great safety precaution - ESPECIALLY if kids are involved.

In the Spawn areas, we treat these as if they are LIVE game area. Well, because they are. Just cause your a couple feet from battle, doesn't mean your far enough away to be safe.

***although, any photo you will find of me, with a gun in my hand, not intentionally aimed at someone.. I will NOT have my finger inside of the trigger frame area!!! If I am photo whoring, I'll have a mag in, safety on, and my finger on the gun body, and not in the trigger frame area.

Romeo_Delta has it right. This is a game of honor and respect. NEVER think of telling an admin of someone disrespecting or willfully violating safety rules. It's not being a tattle tail. It's called "active safety". We ALL need to be safe on the fields. After all, this IS Simulation. No one needs to go home with a "realistic" war wound.

Edited by OpSic66

I find that policing in the "Safe ones" is needed more than Admins in the games.. That is where most of the dangerous stuff happens. Im an older guy and when I do play games with younger guys, I have no roblems correcting them. They tend to break these rules more often than the older ones, but the older ones usually get the hint after one mention of the rules... Youngins tend to need a little more convincing. Get the game organizers attention and let them knopw what is going on. Even with waivers and such, they are still responsible for the safety at the event.

If you do not feel comfy telling them yourself, get an admin/judge and let the mtake care of it for you. We must all learn somehow.