to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share

If any of you have posted on my "what ak" topic, thank you.

I will be running into a bit of blowing money soon, but in ASF's opinion, is it worth it to buy a SAW over an AK? Other than the asthetics will the saw outperform the AK in any way since its $200 more? Just a quick question.

If any of you have posted on my "what ak" topic, thank you.

I will be running into a bit of blowing money soon, but in ASF's opinion, is it worth it to buy a SAW over an AK? Other than the asthetics will the saw outperform the AK in any way since its $200 more? Just a quick question.

well do you want to play the role of SAW gunner or a rifleman?

There will be a big difference between carrying around a SAW and and AK.

Can you post the SAW in questions, and the AK in question??

IMO don't bother with SAWs. There won't be any significant performance difference, and the only differences being the AK has more parts available and the SAW is unwieldy. They're both AEGs, the only real difference is aesthetics and magazines.

well do you want to play the role of SAW gunner or a rifleman?
You can play either with just an AK. Just get a drum magazine. It's a V3, so with a decent manufacture like a high-end CYMA, sustained fire won't be a problem.

Grab a CYMA 036 or higher and get a drum magazine. That's around 200$ right there.

If you don't already have an assault rifle get the AK.

I just recieved my A&K M60vn today and I will say it is heavy, but not that heavy and I'm a really scrawny guy (!20lbs at 5'11").

I was afraid I would be able to use it. I can, but being as long as it is it can probably be a hassle for constant shoulder firing, otherwise I'm happy.

What you need to realize is your not stuck with whatever gun you get. I have two AK's, an MP5, a scorpion, a Desert Eagle, and now this M60. There's a few areas we play at here and each is unique. I've played at this abandoned house which would be good for the scorp. and MP5, there's a wooded area which requires the range of the AK's, but is to 'rounded' for the M60 to be useful, and there's a couple other more open areas that'd be great for the M60 as a support gun. So basically what I'm saying is you could buy the SAW, realize it's not EVERYTHING you want and just buy a second gun (The AK for example). Now you can choose before you go to a game to play as either a support or a rifleman. It gives you options.

But if you're looking for a first gun then go for the AK. Assault rifles are flexible as far as playing field goes, a second assault rifle is really only practical as a loner gun (What I do with most of my guns when friends come over). Otherwise, try out the SAW. The M60 is bigger and heavier and if I can wield one of those, you could probably wield a SAW.

OR you could get Echo-1's new RPK coming out which is actually both a rifle and a LMG. I don't usually recommend an Echo-1 product but there are not many RPKs out there that are affordable. This one would be the first, plus it's full steel (but fake wood.....)

It has been said it would be priced at $200.

If you think about it, a SAW is priced at around $300, while a GOOD AK is around $160-$170. So for just $30-$40 more than a standard AK, you can have a weapon that does both roles, and is managable for anyone. Plus it comes with a good barrel mounted Bipod.....

Edited by Deadlyapollo

If you don't already have an assault rifle get the AK.

I just recieved my A&K M60vn today and I will say it is heavy, but not that heavy and I'm a really scrawny guy (!20lbs at 5'11").

I was afraid I would be able to use it. I can, but being as long as it is it can probably be a hassle for constant shoulder firing, otherwise I'm happy.

What you need to realize is your not stuck with whatever gun you get. I have two AK's, an MP5, a scorpion, a Desert Eagle, and now this M60. There's a few areas we play at here and each is unique. I've played at this abandoned house which would be good for the scorp. and MP5, there's a wooded area which requires the range of the AK's, but is to 'rounded' for the M60 to be useful, and there's a couple other more open areas that'd be great for the M60 as a support gun. So basically what I'm saying is you could buy the SAW, realize it's not EVERYTHING you want and just buy a second gun (The AK for example). Now you can choose before you go to a game to play as either a support or a rifleman. It gives you options.

But if you're looking for a first gun then go for the AK. Assault rifles are flexible as far as playing field goes, a second assault rifle is really only practical as a loner gun (What I do with most of my guns when friends come over). Otherwise, try out the SAW. The M60 is bigger and heavier and if I can wield one of those, you could probably wield a SAW.

dude...your 5'11' and weight 120lbs...WTF??? Time to start working out bro...and eating :a-laugh:

Yea a couple of bleu cheese burgers are in order for you.......that's very scrawny.

I haven't been that weight and height since I was what 7?

That M60VN is an awesome form of power no?

A&K M249's arent as heavy as people make them out to be, I just have found they really arent effective unless you dump money in them to actually have a decent range. A SAW with 100ft maybe max range is worthless. Just get a cyma ak or a src g36 a c mag and a bipod and your done

Being effective is in the arms of the shooter.

I found my old M249 VERY effective and I put very little money into it (parts wise) Just a madbull barrel to tighten shots, a new bucking and those wonderful little SCS nubs and it shot just fine. Course I did a gearbox re haul with the shims and grease but that cost nothing. The most money you will spend is on BBs........a LOT of BBs

Another ideal reason to get a SAW or other LMG is the gearbox. It was DESIGNED for long trigger pulls or extended firing. A normal version gearbox is not. It takes more of an effort and money to reinforce a normal gearbox for the long trigger pulls a stock LMG gearbox is capable of.

Just some things to think about.....

Edited by Deadlyapollo

Just please. Don't be an M4 Box mag hero.

Which SAW do you want? There's lots of SAWs.... Im guessing you're talking about the M249.

Yea a couple of bleu cheese burgers are in order for you.......that's very scrawny.

I haven't been that weight and height since I was what 7?

That M60VN is an awesome form of power no?

Yeah, I took weight training for a semester and ended up gaining zero poundage. I can do 50 pushups and 15 pullups, so I can manage my own weight. Basically I'm hoping using this M60 will maybe build a little more mass, albeit I've found that really hard to do....

The problem I've seen people report with the RPK's is they have a different receiver that, even though it's metal, have been reported to break at the rear stock mount. Being a different reciever they're apparantly hard to find a replace....but it's a good idea, you probably just need to be gentle with it like any heavy weight-ish gun.

Along those lines you could look into the BAR coming out in a month or two on Evike.

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=32345

It's $300 and seems to be a metal/wood gun. I'd consider one, but I already am investing in my new A&K M60vn that I'm very much excited about!

Guest ECLVIII

Okay. Here's my $.02...

Having owned quite a few AK's from various companies, and having an intense love affair with the AK series rifles, I would DEFINITELY recommend and AK.

BUT, also having owned 2 A&K M249's, I would ALSO definitely recommend an M249.

It honestly depends on the role you're trying to fill. I'm the designated support gunner, so the M249 was my primary for a long time. I'm 6'2" and 145 soaking wet [skinny 17-year-old punk] and I can wield the SAW easily, so people who nag about weight obviously can't handle it because they're weak.

But the decision is yours. To make it simpler:

AK PROS: Lighter than the SAW, rugged, replacement parts everywhere, not as many AK's as M4's, and looks delicious.

M249 PROS: A bit more expensive which means that they're rare on the field, BAMF factor, can use M4 mags, can handle sustained volumes of fire, durable, and can accept any upgrades that are meant for V2 gearboxes.

Yeah, a 20lb gun doesn't feel like a 20lb dumbell even if you try shouldering the dumbell (which I did). Plus, with a support gun you probably won'te be shoulder firing for ages. We don't have any big fields with huge squads and whatnot, but I'm guessing you'd probably be looking for a nice log or low wall to set your gun on and basically hose off a large area. I'm waiting for the snow to melt, but I can already think of a few places where I'd try setting up.

Sorry for the super slow reply, I just got my internet back. I was wondering if there was anything a SAW could do that an AK couldnt. And you all anserewd my question. Im just going to go with an AK since its pretty and goes basically just as far. Thanks everyone!

The SAW....I don't really know. In real life, SAW's use smaller rounds and are belt fed (Ammo capacity is basically infinite) while AK's use a mag and could probably get to 75 rounds, but this is airsoft. The AK can be more accurate and if you want a different role than you could, but chances are, most people won't like you using an AK with a drum mag as a support gun.

SAW's use smaller rounds and are belt fed (Ammo capacity is basically infinite)

Not quite infinite, there would be a pause to change the barrel. Hence the quick change barrels on the M249, M60, and M240.

If the weapon gets too hot, it could run away (not stop firing), or "cook off" (fire) a chambered round from the closed bolt.

The closest guns which came to infinite ammo firing capabilities were water cooled guns, 1917a1, Vickers, etc..

During the testing trials they were subjected to non-stop firing of more than 6,000+ rounds without a stoppage/failure.

///ed///

A good support weapon has to have a ranged accuracy at least as good, if not better, then what a typical assault rifle on your local field has. You are going to have to park that thing somewhere and open up, that draws attention. If your opponents assault rifles outrange you, they will simply shoot you out. It's going to be difficult to run and gun with that thing.

Skirmishing with a 20 pound gun is like carrying a boat anchor around all day,

A support weapon has to be able to shoot very long bursts, without overheating, jamming or breaking. A good support weapon actually costs more money then a good sniper rifle. You also use a lot of BBs, which costs money.

Take this into consideration.

Edited by namloot

As the M249 and M60 are my primary weapons I will agree that range is important, it can make a lot of difference. Accuracy too, to a point. These guns in real life aren't as accurate as a rifle. Personally I want some bb spread to keep heads down and teammates moving. My Para this weekend sure helped keep the sniper down while a teammate worked his way in for the kill. BB spread helped.

You can run and gun with these. I do a fair amount in unorganized skirmishes and in organized I rarely set up and stay. Usually moving with teammates. But, you do need the strength. they aren't light.

Which SAW are you looking at?

I have an MkII and it weighs slightly less than the Para, but the MkI is the lightest of all.

Like everyone else said it depends on what role you want to play. If you take a drummag and stick it in the AK, doesn't make you a support gunner. Certain fields and events have rules to prevent assault rifles from becoming support guns.