Sign in to follow this  
Deadlyapollo

1700's project

So here I am sitting at home reading my history book when I get an idea......I want a 1700's style musket!

So I set out to find blueprints of designs and trying to figure out what airsoft internals I could use.

So here is the basic specs of the rifle I am currently working on:

Length, about 5' (4' 10" to be historically accurate)

Inner barrel 1,100mm (1,098 due to the hop up)

Propulsion: utg mk96 bolt and cylinder (maybe)

More than likely I would be using a spring powered propulsion system (gas is beyond my abilities) that would be pulled back via the matchlock system (good thumb strength required) The problem I know I am going to have is how to rig the matchlock to pull the spring back. That idea will come later though.

I have already ordered the wood stock for a brown bess and here is what it looks like:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/1746...arts-list_5.jpg

This is the part I want to pull the spring back: http://patentpending.blogs.com/photos/unca...00483113_am.jpg

I think it would be a very cool system if I could figure out HOW to pull the spring back.....

So what do you guys think, yay or nay?

I REALLY wanted to make a 1717 Charlville French musket but the design is too hard for me to lathe out and the stocks are WAY too overpriced (almost $1,300 USD) imported from France itself.

I may just go the easy route and just drop VSR 10 internals in there and just modify the stock around it. Actually the part I can't wait to get too is the trigger itself. I working on cutting and molding a special twist design trigger, while not accurate to history, it adds my custom flair to it.

I would be worried about how to get a cylinder that would support an 1100mm barrel as well as how you'd get a good enough barrel that long. If you did want ta barrel that length, the best option would be to just get a tube of that length to the closest diameter you can (the brass/aluminum tubing you can sometimes find at hobby stores gets you to about a 6.43mm barrel), but a better solution would likely be to just have the inner barrel be a more reasonable length, and then just have the outer barrel be longer and how there isn't too much turbulence in the outer barrel after the inner barrel ends when firing.

Only airsoft muskets I have seen required to be low fps because the back of the cylinder is more where the flash pan would be and to :censored2: the piston a metal rod had to be inserted in through the barrel and cylinder head and push the piston back manually from the rod.

well you don't have a whole lot of range of motion for the pull back of the bolt, but get a short stroke cylender head to reduce the lenght you would have to pull the bolt.

somebody has done this exact mod, and wrote up an article on it. It was a charleville 1760's era model. He used a spring type power sourcer and cocked it with a rope that stuck out the back of the piston. It looked pretty good. I actually think a paintball version of this would be easier since a brown bess is roughly .68 caliber and so is paintball.

I KNOW you can make money if you build these and sell them. My former employer would probably invest in several, be they brown bess or other pre-revolutionary muskets. He has already spent 10k or so in a laser tag type musket system which requires the wearer to have vest on that receives incoming shots from others. I don't know how many he bought, but I don't think they are made yet. I thought it was lame. Airsoft would be the perfect ammo for these only because airsoft requires less safety gear, so a reenactment could be more realistic. I don't think paintball masks on redcoats would be cool. :a-laugh:

accurate range is similar too. And you don't need to worry about a magazine system since the user would be muzzle loading the bbs.

Definately keep me updated. I love this idea. Just need an easy way to convert pedersoli brown bess's!

Edit:

Here is the article: 1777 Airsoft musket...Gues it was POST revolutionary musket. Oh well, same effect to the layman.

EDIT #2: By the way, use a gas system. Should make it much easier create and modify. A small regulated system could fit in a hollowed out stock, or in a cartouch box with a discrete line running to the chamber. Also, I either leave out hopup, or mount hopup is random direction for a more realistic effect!

Edited by nodnarb

I may just do that. The vsr 10 parts are not working well and are being quite finicky.....

A bolt action musket would be pretty weird lol. You could also pour a little flour at the end of the barrel to add effect of the smoke

Here is the article: 1777 Airsoft musket...Gues it was POST revolutionary musket. Oh well, same effect to the layman.

If it were from 1777 it wouldn't be a post revolutionary musket. lol

As much as I would like to put a bayonet on it, field regulations owuld frown apon having a large metal pike at the end of my gun......

Other than that, project is on hold untill I do some more research on how to implement the gas revolver system, then it's the reload system....

Yea.......I would wish to refrain from using an external rig........

More than likely, I am going to make it spring powered as I got the VSR-10 to fit finally and I found a then steel pole to fit into the cylinder head and push piston back. I am thinking of 350fps as anymore is REALLY hard to push down while holding the gun with one hand and jamming the pole down the barrel. The only way I found is to put the butt on the ground and then jam it in, but by that time, I would already be out :)

I need to be able to stay behind a tree and MAYBE spend 10 seconds to reload another shot. It takes me about 3 seconds to fire, catch cartridge, and load another shot with my Kar98k.

Pictures will be up MAYBE next week. I still can not find a resonably priced matchlock,pan, and plate anywhere. And I am NOT using a plastic toy gun plate........

Edited by Deadlyapollo

If it were from 1777 it wouldn't be a post revolutionary musket. lol

I realize the war was long, but not many 1777 model FRENCH muskets made it to America during the war. Perhaps near the end when the French were helping us. Mostly earlier style Brown Bess ENGLISH muskets were used, and of course Pennsylvania Rifles. Muskets are made one at a time in this era, and they are all unique. No interchangeable parts. That means it took a long time to make them, and it is unlikely many of the 1777 design were used in the revolution. So for all intents and purposes, it is a POST revolutionary musket.