dooodstevenn

leaving mag filled with gas?

No it won't. Leaving a bit of gas in the mag while it is in storage is good, because it will keep the valves from weakening (or something along those lines). I had a mag that was filled with green gas for two years and it still works fine.

How long did the gas stay in your mags guys? I have an issue with leakage in my KJW mags. Not a real big problem but it bothers me that over the course of a few hours my mag empties.

How long did the gas stay in your mags guys? I have an issue with leakage in my KJW mags. Not a real big problem but it bothers me that over the course of a few hours my mag empties.

The gas in my non tapped mags stays there until I use them. I had a mag that held gas for 2 years before I used it again, and right now I have three mags sitting next to me that have been filled for about a year now.

You may want to try a Tanaka mag, as the quality would be better than KJW. You may want to open your mag and check to see if you need new o-rings.

If your mag is leaking then you need to do a full maintenance procedure on the thing.

Disassemble the mag. Apply silicone oil LIBERALLY to the knocker rod o-ring, main gas route valve from both sides, and to the large o-ring which seals the back of the mag. You may want to replace the large rear o-ring if it looks worn. Let the part sit overnight. Re-lub again then reassemble. Gas up the mag. Apply soapy water to the areas where gas my leak. Look for any bubbles.

Leaky mags happen to all gas guns. Preventative maintenance helps keep these things sound.

If your mag is leaking then you need to do a full maintenance procedure on the thing.

Disassemble the mag. Apply silicone oil LIBERALLY to the knocker rod o-ring, main gas route valve from both sides, and to the large o-ring which seals the back of the mag. You may want to replace the large rear o-ring if it looks worn. Let the part sit overnight. Re-lub again then reassemble. Gas up the mag. Apply soapy water to the areas where gas my leak. Look for any bubbles.

Leaky mags happen to all gas guns. Preventative maintenance helps keep these things sound.

One method that I have used time and again when looking for leaks in my mags is to walk into a bathroom (or anywhere else with a sink), fill the sink with water, then fully submerge the magazine after gassing it up. While this method is generally wetter, it is just as effective at pinpointing leaks. I use soapy water when I'm working with non-submersible parts of my rig (IE the side with the regulator on it), but for the mag itself, it works well enough. I use this method because I used to bike a lot, and this is the method of choice when looking for a leak in a bike tire (I usually forget about using soapy water until its too late).

Also, soaking o-rings overnight in silicone oil (I've also heard of using transmission fluid, but if I remember correctly that also starts degrading the integrity of the o-rings, which results in a reduced overall lifespan) should help to swell the o-rings some, thereby helping to create a better seal.

Thanks for the info, my mag holds a 24 hour seal after an injection of lubed propane- I silicone sealed the back of the mag and didn't want to open it again. I used locktite on the joints going from my CO2 to my reg and after 48 hours set time they would leak and spit locktite in my face. I added teflon to all the joints (including the one directly on my mag) and have no leak issues. I'm unsure if the leak was fixed by teflon or silicon or both.

Thanks for the info, my mag holds a 24 hour seal after an injection of lubed propane- I silicone sealed the back of the mag and didn't want to open it again. I used locktite on the joints going from my CO2 to my reg and after 48 hours set time they would leak and spit locktite in my face. I added teflon to all the joints (including the one directly on my mag) and have no leak issues. I'm unsure if the leak was fixed by teflon or silicon or both.

Regular Loctite is a thread locker, not a sealant.

Also, over time CO2 can degrade certain materials causing embrittlement.

Regular Loctite is a thread locker, not a sealant.

Also, over time CO2 can degrade certain materials causing embrittlement.

48 hours after application, I turned on the gas a it started spitting. I was using "Form a Gasket Seal" the old label for locktite. It stopped getting used as a gasket because it is semi soluble in lots of substances.