Sign in to follow this  
varma1339

Best range on a stock aeg?

O.K so my CA MP5k crapped up on me, for some strange reason the stock range on this thing was incredible - a little over 200 ft.

Basically I am looking for a new gun that has similar performance - I don't care about power, just the range or a really nice hopup system

What AEGs have you guys tried that have really amazed you with their effective range? (at least 180ft)

I won't believe that claim of 200ft on an MP5K until I see documented proof.

KWA M4s have great range stock due to their bucking design.

Why shouldn't an mp5k have good range?

If its the short barrel you're thinking of then you should be aware that barrel length has no effect on range.

Why shouldn't an mp5k have good range?

If its the short barrel you're thinking of then you should be aware that barrel length has no effect on range.

I think the issue is whether the 200ft is effective range at which you can hit a man sized target, or you can just lob bbs through the sky like a javelin and get you to 200 feet. Since mp5ks have really short barrel lengths, it seems like it would be difficult to keep it accurate past 60 or 70 feet. Of course you can upgrade an mp5k to shoot 650fps full auto if you wanted to spend that kind of money, but it still wouldn't be getting m16 range kills without some ridiculously serious accuracy upgrades (and what all can you do to a 110mm barrel?)

Anyway, I think the KWA has decent ranged ability for the above mentioned reasons, and a TM AUG with a couple minor upgrades can get you out very far.

I have been upgrading guns for a while, and I know for a fact that a stock CA MP5K will never have an effective range of 200ft. Like Angelust said, there is a difference between effective range and maximum range. If you can lob bbs 200ft, thats one thing. If you can hit a torso-sized target 80% of the time at 200ft without angling your gun, that's another.

Some guns have better hop up systems then others. There are many factor that affect range- namely hop up bucking, nub, chamber, and consistency of FPS. The TM M14 is known to have an amazing chamber, as well as the AUG. I love P90 hop ups as well. M4s are lacking, but can be upgraded. BBs also play a HUGE role in effective range. Maruzen SGMs or Biovals will get you a hell of a lot more range then other brands such as AE.

Stock, its hard to beat the new KWAs, but most stock guns are not too much different from each other. Once you start upgrading is when you see major differences. AEGs are very limited as consistency is extremely hard to achieve. Personally, I'm working on a 300ft gun at 400fps. However, I'm using old-school guns that work on CO2. AEGs just can't have the range, generally.

Edited by NinjaTurtle

For an AEG rifle (AK, G3, G36, AR, m14 etc) You looking at 120'-180'.

Yes barrel length does take a factor in it as these are smoothbore barrels and the longer they are, the longer the BB can stay on a straightened path (just look at 1700's style muskets)

For shorter style (submachine guns) look from 50'-150' anything past that and it's going everywhere.

And for handguns or machine pistols 0'-100' ACCURATELY

Smoothbore muskets had long barrels because they needed them to use all of the slow-burning powder, they didn't have double-based powders like modern rounds use. A short barreled gun can have great accuracy in airsoft, a VSR G-spec has a barrel shorter than an M4. I seem to remember that you can use it in a Mk. 23 with the suppressor on.

On the other hand, no way you are getting 200 feet effective range on a stock CA MP5K, unless you mean find your elevation and fire a good burst, hitting at least once.

I've got a G&G m14, and I could easily believe 180ft or more 8/10 times on a normal-sized sheet of paper if it didn't have the stock spring. The Veteran would almost certainly get over 200 feet by the same standards, it has some upgraded parts (all I can remember off the top of my head is the piston head) and an M130. An SCS nub and a systema bucking would make the range absolutely amazing.

Most stock, premium AEGs have a ranged accuracy (able to hit a man sized target 9 hits out of 10 shots with a level BB flight trajectory) of about 125 feet. Some models, like the TM M14 and AUG are longer.

The hop up unit design of the MP5 and AK47 are not as good, so they tend to be less accurate then other models.

Edited by namloot

I have to agree with everyones posting about the 200' shots with an MP5K. Id also agree to say the KWA M4s seem to be pretty nice stock. If your looking for something a little different, try an M14, the CYMA M14 is a very decent budget rifle with good accuracy!

"Since mp5ks have really short barrel lengths, it seems like it would be difficult to keep it accurate past 60 or 70 feet"

Barrel length has no effect on accuracy, this is a common misconception. This idea stems from the fact that the increased sight radius provided by a longer barrel allows for more precise aiming. Neither does it have an effect on range. I did make a mistake when I said effective range, what I meant was maximum.

I have to agree with everyones posting about the 200' shots with an MP5K. Id also agree to say the KWA M4s seem to be pretty nice stock. If your looking for something a little different, try an M14, the CYMA M14 is a very decent budget rifle with good accuracy!

Agreed.

KWA if you have the money, CYMA M14 if you're on a budget.

"Since mp5ks have really short barrel lengths, it seems like it would be difficult to keep it accurate past 60 or 70 feet"

Barrel length has no effect on accuracy, this is a common misconception. This idea stems from the fact that the increased sight radius provided by a longer barrel allows for more precise aiming. Neither does it have an effect on range. I did make a mistake when I said effective range, what I meant was maximum.

You have evidence? You are partially correct. After a certain point, increasing barrel length will not increase range or accuracy. There will be a negligible difference in effective range of a gun with a 363mm barrel or a 509mm barrel, assuming all factors are exactly the same.

Actually, now that I think about it, you are half correct. In terms of distance, I could see your MP5K reaching 200ft. Would you be able to hit the broad side of a barn? I highly doubt it. Maybe you could reach that distance, but your spread would be ridiculous. Who cares if you can reach 500ft if your shot goes a mile off from where you aim? Maximum range means nothing.

I know the TM Mp5K - very accurate and good for CQB, but hitting someone 200 ft away? You cant hold this thing so still.

Comparing a 110mm MP5K barrel and a 509mm AUG/M16 barrel and saying "barrel length has no effect on accuracy" is stupid.

Guess why snipers don't use short barrels?

I know the TM Mp5K - very accurate and good for CQB, but hitting someone 200 ft away? You cant hold this thing so still.

Comparing a 110mm MP5K barrel and a 509mm AUG/M16 barrel and saying "barrel length has no effect on accuracy" is stupid.

Guess why snipers don't use short barrels?

The spring sniper rifles have CQBR length barrels.

I actually proved you wrong in a science fair project I had to do this year. The difference is so tiny that it had to be wind deviation. This was tested in the same exact vsr-10.

I was hitting out to 175ft easily with my G&G m14 with just an scs and systema bucking. THose two things can do wonders for your range and accuracy

really? on a kwa sr10 I could get no better than 100 feet accurately, anything after that was too much of a spread for my to consider accurate (about 4 inch spread)

really? on a kwa sr10 I could get no better than 100 feet accurately, anything after that was too much of a spread for my to consider accurate (about 4 inch spread)

you're complaining about a 4in spread past 100ft?

P1012602.jpg

that was with airsoft elite .2g bb's at 350fps with a scs and systema bucking <AT>175ft

Edited by sergantsnipes

you're complaining about a 4in spread past 100ft?

P1012602.jpg

that was with airsoft elite .2g bb's at 350fps with a scs and systema bucking <AT>175ft

no im an accuracy junkie, anything over 4 inches I consider inaccurate and would be your effective range. my sniper rifle's effective range is about 200 feet mykwa's about 100 (just because I had one guy behind a bunker and his arm was out and didnt know it, and I tried and tried, but could not hit it and I was out probably 150 feet with bb's going everywhere

Edited by dooodstevenn

no im an accuracy junkie, anything over 4 inches I consider inaccurate and would be your effective range. my sniper rifle's effective range is about 200 feet mykwa's about 100 (just because I had one guy behind a bunker and his arm was out and didnt know it, and I tried and tried, but could not hit it and I was out probably 150 feet with bb's going everywhere

Trying to hit an arm at 150 feet is going to be difficult for almost any airsoft gun I think, unless the arm is freakin huge.