Sign in to follow this  

Okay so I really want to start a dmr project. And I'm wondering if anyone could give me some ideas for which base gun I should start out with. I was thinking an sr-25 style gun with the elongated v2 gearbox. The limits for the field I play at are 550 fps on .25's for semi only sniper rifles, so I need a gun that will be capable of taking the upgrades needed to reach that fps.

I'd get an m14 for a 550fps setup just because the v7 gives me the peace of mind of not having my gearbox explode :3

Hm I don't have any experience working with a version 7 gearbox. I'm sure I could learn although I really like having a pistol grip to hold on to though.

I like the looks of a H&K G3 style dmr. Is the version 3 gearbox any better for high fps setups?

Hm I don't have any experience working with a version 7 gearbox. I'm sure I could learn although I really like having a pistol grip to hold on to though.

I like the looks of a H&K G3 style dmr. Is the version 3 gearbox any better for high fps setups?

You could buy my TM M14EBR! :D

Less than 40 rounds thru it. Lawlz

Get a G&G ebr then. You will get the pistol grip but you get the v7 gearbox at the same time. v3's are also strong so they are safer for high fps. If you really want a sr25ish looking gun get a KWA sr12 and drop in a new spring and maybe a new motor and youre good to go

G3 with a V3 box???? Huh?

Did I miss something? I thought all G3's out there had V2 gearboxes.

Granted, my first DMR back in the day was a TM G3SG1 that lasted 50,000 rounds before breaking the box...

And I personally like the V3 box for building a high powered gun (like my current DMR) I like my CA8-2... and I don't have it really REALLY cranked up (but I am also still have a full auto option... which makes some DMR guys cringe... tough) I can still hit a man sized target at 300+ feet (and a soda can at 225 ft hard enough to dent and knock down)

The elongated v2 boxes (SR25 etc) seem to be doing quite well for holding up under high power... other stuff breaks, but not the gearbox...

Nothing wrong with a V7 box, just more spendy...

G3 with a V3 box???? Huh?

Did I miss something? I thought all G3's out there had V2 gearboxes.

Granted, my first DMR back in the day was a TM G3SG1 that lasted 50,000 rounds before breaking the box...

And I personally like the V3 box for building a high powered gun (like my current DMR) I like my CA8-2... and I don't have it really REALLY cranked up (but I am also still have a full auto option... which makes some DMR guys cringe... tough) I can still hit a man sized target at 300+ feet (and a soda can at 225 ft hard enough to dent and knock down)

The elongated v2 boxes (SR25 etc) seem to be doing quite well for holding up under high power... other stuff breaks, but not the gearbox...

Nothing wrong with a V7 box, just more spendy...

Ah my bad I guess I was just thinking that the g36c has a v3 gearbox in it so the g3's may also have that gearbox in it, but looks like I thought wrong. My bad.

The g&g ebr is nice! A little bit pricey though unless I happen to find a used one to upgrade somewhere..

Are the kart or cyma M14's any decent?

Edited by cypher235

The TM M14 has, hands down, the best hopup unit of any AEG on the market IMO. The V7 gearbox itself is easy to work on and very storng. However, getting to the gearbox is a MAJOR PITA.

The TM M14 has, hands down, the best hopup unit of any AEG on the market IMO. The V7 gearbox itself is easy to work on and very storng. However, getting to the gearbox is a MAJOR PITA.

Yeah I looked at the takedown guides for v7 gearboxes. Very complicated trigger assembly and selector plate plus like a million springs you could lose when taking that thing apart lol

I'd get an m14 for a 550fps setup just because the v7 gives me the peace of mind of not having my gearbox explode :3

what brand of internals do you pack in that m14, I hardly know any high end brands that make a ftk or parts that could take that much strain for an m14

what brand of internals do you pack in that m14, I hardly know any high end brands that make a ftk or parts that could take that much strain for an m14

guarder, prommy, element, matrix.... most make v7 gears and other parts

instead of getting a gun and then upgrading, why don't your just get a kwa sr12, drop in a 20 dollar 600fps spring, and a 30 dollar 509 tighbore (although they already come with 6.05's) and a 12v bat if you don't already have one. instead of getting a base gun, installing a new motor, new gears, re shimming everything, and all the other stuff I don't feel like typing, the sr12 will give you the best performance with the least amount of upgrades

instead of getting a gun and then upgrading, why don't your just get a kwa sr12, drop in a 20 dollar 600fps spring, and a 30 dollar 509 tighbore (although they already come with 6.05's) and a 12v bat if you don't already have one. instead of getting a base gun, installing a new motor, new gears, re shimming everything, and all the other stuff I don't feel like typing, the sr12 will give you the best performance with the least amount of upgrades

Because getting a base gun and upgrading is much less expensive, and you can make it better than a KWA. Not to mention if you want to upgrade the KWA, you're SOL.

if you wanna go for an sr-25 type but are on a budget or want to be able to also afford the proper needed dmr upgrades necessary to get you quickly into the dmr role then I reccomend the a&k or the jg

I have the a&k and all I needed was a good battery, hop unit, bucking, and tb. it shoots pretty well

it comes stock with a solid nickle cylinder, metal bushings, and metal bearing spring guide, plus good wiring and a really powerful motor comparable to a matrix 3k magnum

I also added a g&p long piston and head set to mine for durability

ive seen pics of the jg. it has some differences externally and ive also seen its gearbox on khm. the jg sr-25 gb looks to be better than the a&k's

on the high end gun side... the tan ares m110 with crane stock is pretty sweet looking

Edited by Dusti69

instead of getting a gun and then upgrading, why don't your just get a kwa sr12

~

the sr12 will give you the best performance with the least amount of upgrades

I totally disagree.

Because getting a base gun and upgrading is much less expensive, and you can make it better than a KWA. Not to mention if you want to upgrade the KWA, you're SOL.
I totally agreee.

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=491

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=493

Would either one of those be decent guns to upgrade? Those are 250 dollars cheaper then a KWA sr12 which would mean 250 dollars that I could use for upgrades.

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=491

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=493

Would either one of those be decent guns to upgrade? Those are 250 dollars cheaper then a KWA sr12 which would mean 250 dollars that I could use for upgrades.

Yes, the CYMA M14s are great. For a DMR, I'd go with the full size, since you're limited to a red dot scope with the SOCOM.

So if I spend the 150 on the gun, actually on airsoftgi 133 with a ten percent off code. Would 250 in upgrades be enough to get me a very functional dmr shooting consistently at 550 fps on .25's reliably? Also how big of a battery can the stock hold? I'd prolly go for a 9.6v large type if it fits.

So here's what I came up with from airsoftgi

1 x Guarder SP150 Spring $18.00

1 x Modify Cylinder Set for TM M14 Series $50.00

1 x Modify Version 7 Spring Guide with Bearings $13.00

1 x JBU 6.01mm Precision Inner Barrel for M16 / VN/ AUG (509mm) $45.00

1 x AMP High Torque Motor (Short Type) $45.00

1 x CM032 M14 Black Airsoft Gun $145.00

1 x Prometheus Hop Up Bucking (Hard Type) $15.00

Add an scs nub in there for six bucks, use the coupon code and it will come out to 307 somethin dollars. Would I need anything else for upgrades besides possibly a mosfet and obviously good battery? Only thing that's not really covered in the list above is a gearset and tappet plate.

Edited by cypher235

The thing is, even if you throw in a bunch of high quality parts into the CYMA M14, you still may not get as good of performance as a KWA or some other high end brand (with upgrades). Clones can be made to shoot pretty well, but there are some problems you just can't fix without spending a lot of time and effort. (sometimes the problems can't even be fixed)

The tolerances may be off quite a bit with the M14, so you could have a lot of space between the outer barrel and inner barrel, causing a lot of wiggle room for the inner barrel. (which will make the barrel vibrate more than normal, throwing off shots) Trying to make a DMR (or at least a very good one) out of a clone can be a gamble. While clone companies have gotten a lot better with QC, they still can be pretty inconsistent and will likely have different tolerances compared to a TM. (and aftermarket parts are typically based off the tolerances of TM parts) This can lead to fitment issues and poor performance.

Shredder purchased a CYMA M14 and while they are pretty decent guns, there were a lot of things he had to tinker with to get it to shoot well. (there was a lot of inner barrel wobble on his)

Can you make a DMR out of a clone? Yes. Will it shoots as well as a high end base with the same/similar upgrades? Most likely no. I've spent hours trying to get my G36K (SRC/JG custom gun now essentially) to shoot well. While it does perform better than a lot of stock guns, it is easily out shot by a totally stock KWA that probably has never had a barrel cleaning in its life. lol

KWAs are made with extreme precision. With clones, you really don't find very much precision at all. They can be tuned to shoot pretty nicely and will definitely be able to keep up with some high ends that have a few upgrades. However, once you try to get them ready for a DMR status, you end up spending a lot more money than you would have on upgrading a high end and usually end up with something less satisfactory. Using a good high end brand as a base (KWA and G&Gs are usually the favorites on this forum) will save you a lot more money in the long run and the end result will typically be much more satisfying.

Edited by Stealthmaster14