Ronin055

Two Hundred Foot Shot

Ok. Ive gotten my Echo1 ASR.

Admittedly its a 100$ gun. And its a clone. I understand these things.

Right now Im shooting about 130ft Maybe 140. Im going out to a field this weekend, where I can do better range setting on a suitable target. So I'll have a morre accurate idea then.

What I want to know is, is a 200ft shot a realistic goal for this gun? Not today, not now. But as a build goal.

If so. What are your (experienced only) thoughts on this.

What do you think I should do to my gun to improve it. Ive read the L96 upgrade on this board. And Ive looked at the build improvements on the Echo 1 board as well.

Im going today to pick up some .28 Echo 1 bbs from a local store to test the diff in accuracy and hop effect vrs the .20 (all I have) that Ive been shooting. Im expecting to end up with a .30 or so in the end. And I would like to be able to reach out to 180ft or 200 ideal.

So what do you think. Am I off base? Or is this reasonable?

**Edit I don't want to build a 1300$ super gun. I want a part time sniper rifle that will do the job. And although I own my own bussiness, I want to keep this reasonable in regards to the amount of $$ I put into it.

Edited by Ronin055

Well I have two AEG that both shoot in about the 400FPS range.

And on a ranged target pratice I get about 40yards out of them for accurate fire, not Lobbed high arced dropped in rounds. And that comes out to about 120 ft.

So yes, scoped 200ft target shooting is an accomplishment. Especially if its accurate consistant shooting.

Please Im trying to get the help of people who do this. Not just random opinions.

First and cheapest upgrade is the upgrade kit made for it $30. Then look for a tight bore barrel but not to tight 6.05 to 6.03 ($40 - $70) should be fine. I have or am dumping all my 6.01's and going to the larger bore because at longer range they are more accurate.

With just those 2 and a accurate adjustment to the hop up and you should be able to reach 200' no problem. May not be super accurate but should give you a high chance of hitting a torso sized target at that range.

Hope that helps a little. I have not used the gun myself but I have seen a few in action and with the cheap upgrades I mentioned and a full understanding of the gun the guys were able to use it quite effectively at the last skirmish I was at.

I agree that shooting at about 200ft at under 400fps is possible. It might not have pinpoint accuracy, but it is possible to get BBs out that far at that velocity with reasonable consistency if you do it right. Since the ASR shoots stock at like 450fps if I recall, I would imagine 200ft should be fairly simple with some tuning.

Also, a big factor in accuracy at range is the type of BB you're using. It's no so much that you try to use as heavy a BB as your gun can manage, but it's more a matter of finding more consistent ammo to fire. Echo 1 .28g BBs might be okay, but there are likely other brands of BBs in similar or heavier weights that will perform much better.

First and cheapest upgrade is the upgrade kit made for it $30. Then look for a tight bore barrel but not to tight 6.05 to 6.03 ($40 - $70) should be fine. I have or am dumping all my 6.01's and going to the larger bore because at longer range they are more accurate.

With just those 2 and a accurate adjustment to the hop up and you should be able to reach 200' no problem. May not be super accurate but should give you a high chance of hitting a torso sized target at that range.

Hope that helps a little. I have not used the gun myself but I have seen a few in action and with the cheap upgrades I mentioned and a full understanding of the gun the guys were able to use it quite effectively at the last skirmish I was at.

Hang on you're stating the fact that larger inner diameter barrels are better as if it was actually proven...

So far it's been accepted that a tighterbore will get better groupings.

Hop up and bbs are the factor.

I could hit a 50 yd (150 ft) shot consistently with my old MP7 AEP... it shot 270 fps. So power is not the factor here. Hop IS.

A good quality barrel, and a good, functioning hop up are CRITICAL. Spend your money on your hop up bucking, unit etc before any other thing for this gun.

Add in a good quality 6.03mm barrel (6.04 or 6.05 is a little big for long range accuracy. 6.01 is too finicky) Although I know there will be others who disagree, that's been what I have found.

BTW, my spring rifle right now shoots 360 fps and is not buildable (crappy Cybergun Super 7 clone) BUT doing the teflon mod and working over the hop up has made it capable of 175-200 ft man size target shots.

So, yes, it can be done. And fairly easily.

Hang on you're stating the fact that larger inner diameter barrels are better as if it was actually proven...

So far it's been accepted that a tighterbore will get better groupings.

At shorter ranges that maybe the case but at longer ranges it is becoming accepted by a majority of the hardcore snipers that 6.03 to 6.05 are actually better over range. I didn't believe it either until I tested in myself repeat times with different rifles and my groupings are about the same, but with the sightly larger bore my hit rate is more consistent.

With a 430 6.01 I was hitting 6 out of 10 on a torso sized target with 4 fliers at 225' when I switched to the 6.03 I jumped to 8 and this has been true across the board on all my rifles. Under 150' there was no difference but over that point I have noticed it.

I was trying to find the link to the big article and some of the forum post on it but my googlefu has failed me today... Really should have bookmarked them :a-blushing:

A lot of this info I have gleamed from here ... Sniper Forum?

Thank you guys for the advice.

So my plans are to find out what aftermarket bucking system there is for this. get that and a madbull 6.03 barrel for it. and then lastly the upgrade kit.

I went to the local shop today and purchased 1000 .25 and 1000 .28 bbs.

Ill try those tomorrow and see what kind of effect I get.

Now I just have to find a nice BB that will do the job and not kill the budget. and get dialed in for the right weight for me and my gun.

If you guys have any more advice Im open for it.

Yes I was reading the BB king review and I think that it sounds like a good intermediat BB in both price and quality.

Like I said, Im not trying to be the Carlos Hathcok of the airsoft world. Just have fun with it and make longer than usual (aeg) shots.

OK so my set up is the following.

Echo1 ASR

Echo1 ASR Upgrade kit

Badbull 6.03 455mm TBB.

I ported the head and lightened the piston. Im reaching out to 200ft mark consistantly. Now I just have to dial in the scope and wait for some calm wind around here. or wait for calm, then. . . yea.

Anyway 200ft. Total cost above gun. $70.00

What 200 ft looks like. Range measured with GPS.

Shooting at a life sized maniquine torso. 200ft in average conditions.

What GPS are you using that it's accurate enough for this application? Even high end (not military, but high end) GPS's only get withing 20-30 ft. There's a good chance that's more like 250 (hard to tell in the pic but that looks long compared to the measured 200 ft shots I've taken.)

Im useing a Garmin Map60 GPS and at the time I had about 8 sats locked. My error was down to about 10 ft and I remeasured it three times and had it down to + or - 5 ft.

And about 8 years ago the 30 - 50 ft rule was true. But the DOD removed a good amount of the dithering from the GPS system. So GPSs became a bit more accurate. Ive been useing GPS equipment since about 1998, and I have noticed not only a good improvement in the quality of the equipment, but a substantal improvement in the Sat service.

This is the same GPS that I use geocacheing and usually gets me within 10 ft of a given cache.

So yea, Im betting on the 200 foot mark on this shot.

Additionally I paced it off.

Im useing a Garmin Map60 GPS and at the time I had about 8 sats locked. My error was down to about 10 ft and I remeasured it three times and had it down to + or - 5 ft.

And about 8 years ago the 30 - 50 ft rule was true. But the DOD removed a good amount of the dithering from the GPS system. So GPSs became a bit more accurate. Ive been useing GPS equipment since about 1998, and I have noticed not only a good improvement in the quality of the equipment, but a substantal improvement in the Sat service.

This is the same GPS that I use geocacheing and usually gets me within 10 ft of a given cache.

+1 on this...my 3 year old Garmin USB GPS receiver(with updated firmware and software) is accurate in my carPC up to 5ft..and its got a 50ms delay which is very fast.

Here is a pic of me setting the target, so you have an idea of what your looking at at that range.

It is a black and brown torso only. No arms, head, or legs. It was used in a Tux shop. So you get the idea.

post-51097-1278289348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ronin055

Ok, I'll take your word for it. I mostly use GPS for running cross country, so I don't need it to be terribly accurate and I guess mine just isn't. Of course, the fact that the woods I'm running in pretty much completely block out the sky and block out most of my satellite reception doesn't really help.

I can see how that would make a difference.

But after you replied, I got a complex. LoL And so I pulled up google earth, and took my GPS and went out front. I set a waypoint at my mail box. And paced off 200 ft watching the goto waypoint distance. When I got to 200 I looked for marker and couldnt find one. So I paced to 209. there was a grate on the street at the curb.

I hustled back in and addressed this on google earth and it was about the same. Maybe 2ft difference in measurement.

However when I went back outside. in all honesty the gps bobed about at the start point. about 5 - 7 ft difference. So while I have proven the accuracy to a point. I also had a point of inaccuracy. Could have been that I went in and out of the house. Who knows.

Pin point accuracy? Nah. But within 5 - 7 ft Id say its good to go. And as long as you tripple check, you should be ok.