Sign in to follow this  
deputy865

Just got a Tanaka M700 pre-ban

Anything specific or special I need to know? I have a PSG-1 Tightbore, will it fit/work in this gun? I plan on running it at maximum fps with .36's, what distances should I be looking at? I've read through a bunch of other threads about upgrades and such, but from what I'm getting, most seem to be post-ban stuff.

Shane

unless you have a barrel/hopup conversion kit in it already, it needs a tanaka barrel.

don't use .36's use higher quality .3's

there is no difference between "pre ban" and "post ban" rifles except for a small washer pressed into the nozzle and a "PCS" system which is nothing more than a setscrew and creates gas flow turbulence which hurts accuracy so everything you read here is still accurate for the most part.

As an owner of a PCS system, get a G&G power bolt and a hop-up conversion kit for AEG barrels. Find the G&G heavy outer barrel and run a 550mm-590mm 6.03 inner barrel. I use to fire .29 SMG's back in the day but had crap results then recently tried .36. The range sucks with .36's but they are accurate at about 200-220ft. I found a box of the SMG's laying around and now they are fantastic for some reason.

Here's an "In my opinion..." summary for consistent & effective results w/o converting to HPA:

Stock: I have an M24 and M40A1 stock, the M24 is great for posting up and doing observation, it's heavy, adjustable & it's stable. The M40 is better for running around like a wild chicken. Just how I hold rifles, it sights in very quick and is a pleasure to fire from kneeling.

Trigger: It's adjustable but don't mess with it unless it needs cleaning.

Outer barrel: Get a G&G heavy barrel. This fits the M40 like a glove, straight and flush on the stock. It still fits the M24/M700 stocks but it kinda free floats and could bust your reciever if you hit that barrel against something bad enough. That being said it makes the M24 a VERY heavy platform, but this kit was single handily responsible for curing my inner barrel flex issues. This kit comes with a G&G 6.04 tightbore, if you are shooting over 450fps, drop kick this thing ASAP.

Hop-Up: From what I can remember, people had nothing but crap things to say about G&G hop-up rubber. I found a little "dime bag" that had my old upgrade parts: G&G bolt seal, hop-up rubbers and barrel seal. While a PCS bolt doesn't fire the gas "as smooth" as a Power bolt or modded Tanaka bolt, this little kit cured a few other gremlins I had, one being worn hop up rubber.

Inner barrel: First and foremost, use a 6.03 and nothing but. Idc what anybody has to say, this diameter is pure magic if the barrel is quality made and your shooting 475-525. Second, for lengths I've had best results using a 550mm, again mostly shooting right on the border of 500 mostly. If your FPS is closer to 550fps, a slightly longer barrel wouldn't hurt your chances. I have a cut down PSG-1 barrel but it's too long stock IMO. At range, that longer barrel in conjunction with a tuned hop-up with give you way better results than pumping the FPS. On this last note, don't get something stupid long, keep it real.

Ammo: .36's are great for wind, but if it's an ok to calm day. .29's rule the world. I haven't tried .30's yet but will post up a test when I do. I've used Super Grand Master .29's forever and a half, and they use to not get along with my gas rifles but the one I just built LOVES these little things.

To some it up:

G&G heavy barrel (optional but highly recommended)

KA hop-up with G&G red rubbers

550mm-580mm 6.03 TB (quality, quality, quality, don't buy cheap)

PCS is nice, stick with a Power bolt. More consistent and not as hard to find OR put G&G springs and seals in your stock bolt.

Screw green gas, Propane with that magic silicone drop every 3-5 refills (or purge the green gas out of the mag and THEN fill with propane).

:EDIT: Almost forgot, don't be afraid to apply teflon tape around the barrel/HU junction and barrel seal. You can get very crafty, just don't get carried away.

Edited by 2-Tall S.E.A.L

Outer barrel: Get a G&G heavy barrel. This fits the M40 like a glove, straight and flush on the stock. It still fits the M24/M700 stocks but it kinda free floats and could bust your reciever if you hit that barrel against something bad enough. That being said it makes the M24 a VERY heavy platform, but this kit was single handily responsible for curing my inner barrel flex issues. This kit comes with a G&G 6.04 tightbore, if you are shooting over 450fps, drop kick this thing ASAP.

im glad you mentioned the G&G heavy outer barrel. Okay not kidding this thing is really really heavy. I have this on my m700 and it fits great with very very very little movement. Another + with this outer barrel is that it increases accuracy because when you shoot the gun the inner barrel doesn't vibrate. its pretty much a big barrel spacer if you want to look at it that way. I like this outer barrel because it helps balance the gun out because with the stock outer barrel the stock is much heavier and uneven.

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

im glad you mentioned the G&G heavy outer barrel. Okay not kidding this thing is really really heavy. I have this on my m700 and it fits great with very very very little movement. Another + with this outer barrel is that it increases accuracy because when you shoot the gun the inner barrel doesn't vibrate. its pretty much a big barrel spacer if you want to look at it that way. I like this outer barrel because it helps balance the gun out because with the stock outer barrel the stock is much heavier and uneven.

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Yeah, I figured my M24 was pushing 12 pounds, thought I was going nuts lol. So it fits the 700 with no issues huh? Idk, not that it didn't fit the M24, just free floated like I said but I don't trust it.

Not sure if this matters, but how heavier is the full barrel to the fluted version?

The inner barrel doesn't vibrate with the stock outer barrel. We don't have a large piston system vibrating the entire gun. The benefits are largely from the lack of barrel flex which can be addressed in other ways. To be honest you get more reduction of flex from the alloyed chamber required to hold the barrel than the barrel itself. But then you can shim the stock barrel if flex is an issue.

Nice looking rifles by the way.

The inner barrel doesn't vibrate with the stock outer barrel. We don't have a large piston system vibrating the entire gun. The benefits are largely from the lack of barrel flex which can be addressed in other ways. To be honest you get more reduction of flex from the alloyed chamber required to hold the barrel than the barrel itself. But then you can shim the stock barrel if flex is an issue.

Nice looking rifles by the way.

The whole system IMO plays a pretty large role in the accuracy. Either way, it's well worth the coin, function & looks on par and it's V E R Y beef. Idk, for me this barrel system is just one of those things that I HAVE to have on a rifle after using it, u know?

Like when you find those mags or bb's that feed so well, that hop-up rubber that just makes s*** fly straight, etc. :a-thumbsup:

How heavy exactly is the G&G outer barrel? Is it fluttered? Is the aluminum outer barrel flexes? Why wouldn't place several spacers in the stock outer barrel to hold better the inner barrel?

(1). No Idea but it's a slightly larger diameter than stock, 25" long and it's a solid metal rod with just enough room for the inner barrel (couldn't even get a single layer of teflon to stay on the inner barrel when sliding it in).

(2). There are SOME that are fluted but mine and every unit I've seen have been smooth finish.

(3). If you're asking what I think you are then no, this thing WILL NOT FLEX. The OEM barrel slides over the outer barrel and it's cranked on to the front of the stock which usually causes flex since there's no anchor point on the receiver for the outer barrel. However, the G&G heavy barrel free floats over the stock (on my M40 it's perfectly flush, on my M24 it's a true free float) and gets pressure clamped to the receiver by a VERY heavy duty set screw that clamps it's between the inside and outside of the front receiver. Now with this setup if you whack the end of that barrel against something hard enough you could damage the receiver and/or stock, but you don't throw these around like an MP5 and the improved accuracy and weight was worth every coin IMO.

(4). You very well could do that, and also place washers on the barrel mount to prevent flex when you tighten the screw. Not saying the stock one is crap, just saying the G&G one is world's better. One of the many ingredients if you will.

:EDIT: If you REALLLLLYYYY like the stock outer just do the washer trick to the barrel mount, and just line up as many spacers as you can inside it. It's way cheaper and the results should be the same. It just won't be as strong and you can't fit the gospel perfect 650mm long inner in it w/o it poking out.

Edited by 2-Tall S.E.A.L

How heavy exactly is the G&G outer barrel? Is it fluttered? Is the aluminum outer barrel flexes? Why wouldn't place several spacers in the stock outer barrel to hold better the inner barrel?

The stock barrel only flexed when it was over tightened to the point that it was damaging the stock by indenting the material. This was common with people getting overzealous about attaching a bipod securely. A single spacer or shim was enough to prevent it from happening.

Of course, using the nut behind the one in front which is not attached to the barrel is a better idea and lets you use your ultra extreme two handed death grip to tighten down a bipod all you want.

The stock barrel only flexed when it was over tightened to the point that it was damaging the stock by indenting the material. This was common with people getting overzealous about attaching a bipod securely. A single spacer or shim was enough to prevent it from happening.

Of course, using the nut behind the one in front which is not attached to the barrel is a better idea and lets you use your ultra extreme two handed death grip to tighten down a bipod all you want.

QFT. Common m40a1 problem. Unfortunately this led me to trade my m40 in 04 for a pair of speakers. :a-wink: