yayapfool

barrel spacers

from what I've read, it sounds like they're just rings that contact the inner barrel and the outer barrel that absorb vibration

is this correct?

is it more effective with springers than gas rifles?

and what should I make em out of?....anything shock-absorbing right? I mean there's a lot of options layin around the house..

That's exactly correct. Someone obviously has done their research so kudos to you. Most people use electrical tape in a budget situation. But P* (or any other company's) are understood as ultimately the best option.

haha, thanks shifty, I've looked around

polar star spacers? funny, I have that tab open right now, haha

so, my mom basically lives on ebay, she has TONS of packing material; peanuts, foam, other hard to explain padding that would work great

gunshot, you're saying basically wrap my entire inner barrel in padding?

EDIT:

wow, quite a bit of silencing on the gun in that thread, I'm sure that works amazingly

..but I'm already building a silencer to cut down on noise, and the gun I ordered is gas, so I figure there won't be nearly as much vibrations affecting BB travel

am I right? or no

Edited by yayapfool

haha, thanks shifty, I've looked around

polar star spacers? funny, I have that tab open right now, haha

so, my mom basically lives on ebay, she has TONS of packing material; peanuts, foam, other hard to explain padding that would work great

gunshot, you're saying basically wrap my entire inner barrel in padding?

EDIT:

wow, quite a bit of silencing on the gun in that thread, I'm sure that works amazingly

..but I'm already building a silencer to cut down on noise, and the gun I ordered is gas, so I figure there won't be nearly as much vibrations affecting BB travel

am I right? or no

barrel spacers really are meant for spring guns. Because when the piston hits it causes lots of vibration which causes inconsistency so barrel spacers are supposed to absorb that and in gas guns the power source is from gas so there is not as much vibration. It would be a good precaution though.

Polarstar spacers ONLY, and I mean ONLY, work with EdGI inner barrels. This is because the EdGI sniper rifle barrels are "bull" barrels, barrels with a larger outer diameter than other barrels. The Polarstar spacers are matched for this so they too have a larger inner diameter to match.

You COULD possibly make ANOTHER spacer to fit the Polarstar spacers, if you don't have an EdGI barrel. Catch my drift? Home make a small spacer so your normal barrel's outer diameter is the same as an EdGI, at least in the sections you want to put the spacers on, and then slide the Polarstar spacers over.

OR you can make your own. Spacers don't need to be precise. They just need to make sure the inner barrel DOESN'T move. As long as they keep the inner barrel in the same spot, the shot will be consistant.

I wonder if you could oil the outside of your barrel real good and then use like a spray foam insulation?

The oil would be so that the foam didnt stick to your barrel. I only pull my barrel from the breach side, so Im not concerned with pulling out out the front. So, I wonder.. .. .. hmm, may have to experiment.

Don't waste your time, it's pretty useless on a gas rifle. Been proven, do some research.

Were talking about barrel spacers on Spring guns. Read the whole thread. don't be rude.

yes its a hardening foam. Like they doin insulation in homes, or in specific packing material.

At a shop I used to run, we did silver replateing. People would bring in their tea set, and we would have it re-silvered. Anyway, it would come back and the factory had wraped the stuf in plastic, and sprayed foam all around the item which would fit perfectly to the item and keep it safe in transit.

So my thought is the same kinda thing. I just don't know if it will break down over time and crumble. I suspect it will. But I need to do more research before I put it in my barrel.

However I think it would be amazing as a sound deadening material in stocks.

[/color]

Were talking about barrel spacers on Spring guns. Read the whole thread. don't be rude.

yes its a hardening foam. Like they doin insulation in homes, or in specific packing material.

At a shop I used to run, we did silver replateing. People would bring in their tea set, and we would have it re-silvered. Anyway, it would come back and the factory had wraped the stuf in plastic, and sprayed foam all around the item which would fit perfectly to the item and keep it safe in transit.

So my thought is the same kinda thing. I just don't know if it will break down over time and crumble. I suspect it will. But I need to do more research before I put it in my barrel.

However I think it would be amazing as a sound deadening material in stocks.

Ronin,

I'm trying that probably tonight or after the holiday.

Here's what I plan on doing...

1) Re-install my original stock barrel (which I plan on wrapping with a some paper. (Maybe even wax paper)

Cover the hopup area, etc.. with Saran wrap.

2) Remove front cap to the sniper rifle (ASR)

3) Fill entire space between inner and outer barrel with spray foam, and allow to harden.

With luck because the inner barrel is wrapped, it should slide out smoothly.

If not, I can punt and just srape all the crud out from the outer barrel.

Then I'll just reinstall the new TBB, and I should be vibration free, and hopefully a little quieter.

I thnk useing the old barrel is a great idea. Push all the spacers you have down to the hop-up end of your barrel though, and use that as a buffer for that end. And maybe use vaseline to coat your barrel, Not paper. Then you can just slide it out.

Im debateing if this will help enough, or if I should just spend the 20$ on plastic and rubber spacers.

Edited by Ronin055

I thnk useing the old barrel is a great idea. Push all the spacers you have down to the hop-up end of your barrel though, and use that as a buffer for that end. And maybe use vaseline to coat your barrel, Not paper. Then you can just slide it out.

Im debateing if this will help enough, or if I should just spend the 20$ on plastic and rubber spacers.

The only problem I've had with existing spacers is that they tend to bunch up when sliding them in.

USing the existing spacers towards the hop-up and the vaseline are great ideas! Thanks.

Just take the barrel off the gun, and put the inner barrel in from the breach side instead of the muzzle end.

If this works half way decently, I think I know what Im doing this weekend.

I really suspect that it will. But Im just wondering if the firmness of the plastic bushings is superior. Or if the Whole barrel support of the hardened foam would be better. Hmmmmm.

Thank you though for trying my idea. Together we may revolutionize the Getto barrel spacer mod concepts. LoL

Yea Ive got barrel spacers coming in tomorrow.

So Im going to pick up some foam tonight or tomorrow on the way home from work.

Then this weekend Ill put it all together. Probably two spacers and foam in the middle.

I was going to go foam, spacer, foam, spacer, foam. But I decided that if I need to , I want to be able to get the foam out.

So, two spacers, and some foam.

Yea. . . um tried the foam.

WAY BAD IDEA !!

My advice. don't DO IT!

Maybe it was the foam I used. But it sucked. Badly. I would have to try different foams. But this one was for plumbing and it was 1/2 inch expanding. It turns to the rubber kinda crap. I got it everywhere. And although I used airtool oil for the length of the barrel.. . it stuck to the barrel.

If I were to redo it. . IF. Then I would probably wrap the barrel in news paper. One wrap, where ever there was going to be foam.

So thats the bad news.

The good news. I got some barrel spacers for my ASR. I got some nice L96 spacers and they work great. I believe that I can tell a measurable difference. Ok I only fired 5 rounds at 130 ft. But it seems to have stabalized the system a bit.

So thats where we are on that.

Yea. . . um tried the foam.

WAY BAD IDEA !!

My advice. don't DO IT!

Maybe it was the foam I used. But it sucked. Badly. I would have to try different foams. But this one was for plumbing and it was 1/2 inch expanding. It turns to the rubber kinda crap. I got it everywhere. And although I used airtool oil for the length of the barrel.. . it stuck to the barrel.

If I were to redo it. . IF. Then I would probably wrap the barrel in news paper. One wrap, where ever there was going to be foam.

So thats the bad news.

The good news. I got some barrel spacers for my ASR. I got some nice L96 spacers and they work great. I believe that I can tell a measurable difference. Ok I only fired 5 rounds at 130 ft. But it seems to have stabalized the system a bit.

So thats where we are on that.

well we learned our lesson, lol

probly should've just gone with buyin the spacers, haha

but it's good to try new things

I do remember that foam being pretty messy stuff when I used it around the house.

I think I'll hit Michael's and get furniture foam. Maybe try spacers, solid foam, spacers, foam, etc...

I still want to fill as much empty space in the gun as possible with foam (both for stability and noise).

I do remember that foam being pretty messy stuff when I used it around the house.

I think I'll hit Michael's and get furniture foam. Maybe try spacers, solid foam, spacers, foam, etc...

I still want to fill as much empty space in the gun as possible with foam (both for stability and noise).

I wish I knew where the material I have came from, I have a few different packing materials that work very well, they're like, thin wrap, that's squishy

I wrapped my barrel in it so that it tightly fit, contacting inner and outer barrel

don't be smug. #1 I did buy spacers. I have them. Read my post compleatly. I use them.

#2 I did the foam in a piece of PVC pipe with an old stock barrel. Not my gun.

And again, it may just be the foam I used. And the oil I used. I still think this is a credible theory. It just has to be worked out.

Like Thomas Jefferson. I just found one way that didnt work. Now I log that and move forward.

If I were a jerk, or afraid of critisism, I wouldnt have posted my results, and allowed someone to ruin a gun. But Im not that kinda person.

don't be smug. #1 I did buy spacers. I have them. Read my post compleatly. I use them.

And again, it may just be the foam I used. And the oil I used. I still think this is a credible theory. It just has to be worked out.

Like Thomas Jefferson. I just found one way that didnt work. Now I log that and move forward.

If I were a jerk, or afraid of critisism, I wouldnt have posted my results, and allowed someone to ruin a gun. But Im not that kinda person.

woa, it's all good dude, I'm not tryin to be a jerk, I agree with you, I think that rubber foam stuff would be one of the best ways to reduce vibrations

and I know you bought spacers, I read that, I was just kiddin around, like in the first place..and that's why I said it's good to try new things, because with trial and error, you'll probly end up with the best way to minimize vibrations

and I did read that you used an old barrel, I'm not ragging on your experiment at all, you did everything right, I mean even if you used your better barrel and your actual gun, it could probly be cleaned out anyway, this was in no way a failure

Good call on using PVC as a test piece instead of your real external. I don't have any experience with the oil you used, but I've got a feeling that you're dead on about not using an appropriate oil/grease and the foam. Since you've got yourself a test piece of PVC and an old barrel, it may be worth giving another go.

I'm not sure about the various options in spray foam, but I do know that there is a 2 part liquid foam that will expand and become something like a high density styrofoam. It drys a tannish color or can be dyed. Unfortunately thats all I know about it- no product name or description or anything, was something some guys were doing at college when I was there. It's easily shapeable, has a quick working time (I think they were filling latex gloves to make foam hands and they were setting up in about 5 minutes tops, cure w/in 24 hours I imagine)

I would also advise using a grease instead of an oil for coating the gun barrel, you need something thick that will stay in place instead of running around the barrel and pooling/dripping at the bottom. Vaseline sounds like a solid candidate (Check if petrol products will interact with the foam though; if so you may need to find a silicone grease or use dielectric grease)

Now that all thats said... I'm not sure foam is a good idea. Not because of how much of a pain it appears to be, but it's form and function. In order to transfer the vibration and deaden the movement, there needs to be direct contact. Otherwise, the TBB will vibrate, convert the energy into sound, and be dissapated by the foam instead of stopping the originial vibration. Thats why spacers work- they have direct contact but because it's an energy absorptive material (Rubber o-rings) it deadens, then transfers the vibration through the spacer, into another o-ring, and finally to the outer barrel. The foam is going to surround the TBB but not have direct contact patches to properly transfer the energy.

With this in mind, I posit that the best homemade spacer must contain within its design:

1) Direct TBB Contact patch with a flexible material (Rubber o-ring, rubberbands, rubberized gasket, etc)

2) Filler material. I think we're dealing with sufficiently small amounts of energy and we can dissipate all of it instead of transferring to the outer barrel. I think REALLY TIGHTLY PACKED upholstry/pillow foam would work wonders here. The tighter its packed, the more firm it becomes, but because it is still an open celled foam it's going to do a great job of dissipating the energy. Added bonus of it being light so you don't create a barrel heavy rifle by wrapping tons of tape around the barrel.

I bought this to make rubbery silicon seals everywhere it might leak around my hop up and inner barrel area

0710102055-00.jpg

well to test it first, I just put a glob on a piece of paper, and when it had dried, it was the perfect rubbery seal I was looking for

....but I realised something, they have this stuff in large quantities for caulking guns, and I am very confident this would be the BEST way to reduce vibrations in the inner barrel

you seal the back of the inner barrel to outer barrel area way back near your hop up, then put the gun aiming up, and just pour this stuff down around the inner barrel, when it cures, it is so perfect for absorbing vibrations, I really think someone should try this

I bought this to make rubbery silicon seals everywhere it might leak around my hop up and inner barrel area

0710102055-00.jpg

well to test it first, I just put a glob on a piece of paper, and when it had dried, it was the perfect rubbery seal I was looking for

....but I realised something, they have this stuff in large quantities for caulking guns, and I am very confident this would be the BEST way to reduce vibrations in the inner barrel

you seal the back of the inner barrel to outer barrel area way back near your hop up, then put the gun aiming up, and just pour this stuff down around the inner barrel, when it cures, it is so perfect for absorbing vibrations, I really think someone should try this

It'll take a couple weeks if not longer to properly set...