Sign in to follow this  
PeaceShaker

Face / Head Protection

I plan on playing airsoft soon for the first time and I am wondering what face/head/ protection I need.

I come from playing paintball, so do I need a helmet and full face mask like a paintball mask? I would

rather have full face protection, and throat, from incoming bb's but would I be the only person at the field with a face mask, and

do I really need much protection beyond eye wear?

Here is some protective gear I was looking at:

- http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=1669

- http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?...roducts_id=3262

- http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Hakkotsu_Wid...ack_p/49565.htm

Which one(s) would you guys recommend?

Edited by PeaceShaker

The shemagh is good, but get these goggles instead.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZRW118-1.html

They're very high quality from what I hear, and almost completely to milspec.

Edit: in fact, just get this if you're buying the linked goggles.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/KEY308-1.html

Edited by Hobosaur

I'd definately get some sort of hard facepro. I used to not wear facepro, and this was the outcome:

5215_110.jpg

I personally use this: http://www.amazon.com/Hakkotsu-lower-airso...3/dp/B003C4KQI2

It doesn't look all that pretty, but it works and I can shoulder a rifle with it. The big thing with facepro is that you have to get something that will allow you to get a cheek weld.

BTW, the flakjaks ARE milsurp. That's why they're cheap. And you can get the ESS goggles for pretty cheap too on ebay.

Edited by hawkeyes39

I personally use ESS Turbofans, a Bitter End Lower Face Mask, and an UnderArmour HeatGear balaclava. Total cost: $232. How much is your face worth?

Granted, this is an extremely high-end face protection set-up... and let's not forget my $400 SDS MICH 2000...

I'd buy the Revision. ESS, Revision, and Oakley make the best eye-protection equipment. They are used by the US military and I'd recommend them anytime of the day. The shemagh won't do much for you protection wise, but if you want it, then go ahead. The Hakkotsu mask is probably your best bet for full face protection, especially for your mouth and eyes which are the most vulnerable and expensive to fix. If you can afford it, buy some of the stuff I have.

I have an Arena FlakJak goggle as well. They work fine, but personally I prefer my ESS. Mainly because they can take a .22 to the lens and not give way and because they NEVER fog.

I personally use ESS Turbofans, a Bitter End Lower Face Mask, and an UnderArmour HeatGear balaclava. Total cost: $232. How much is your face worth?

Granted, this is an extremely high-end face protection set-up... and let's not forget my $400 SDS MICH 2000...

I'd buy the Revision. ESS, Revision, and Oakley make the best eye-protection equipment. They are used by the US military and I'd recommend them anytime of the day. The shemagh won't do much for you protection wise, but if you want it, then go ahead. The Hakkotsu mask is probably your best bet for full face protection, especially for your mouth and eyes which are the most vulnerable and expensive to fix. If you can afford it, buy some of the stuff I have.

I have an Arena FlakJak goggle as well. They work fine, but personally I prefer my ESS. Mainly because they can take a .22 to the lens and not give way and because they NEVER fog.

I saw a video where a guy shot 2 flakjaks with a .22 revolver and shotgun. Both shots did not penetrate at 10 ft away; and it looked like the goggles could take a whole clip of the revolver.

Edited by Izak

So how come I see so many players with JUST glasses or goggles on and not full face protection?

Is it out of the norm to have a full face mask, because I can image the pain and trouble of having your

teeth chipped?

So how come I see so many players with JUST glasses or goggles on and not full face protection?

Is it out of the norm to have a full face mask, because I can image the pain and trouble of having your

teeth chipped?

It matter where you play at.

I would recomend mouth and eye protection at least.

And it dosn't matter if it is "out of the norm" as long as it dose the trick if you ask me.

They don't wear full face protection because they don't truly understand the risks. That's their decision, and they may or may not pay for their ignorance some day. The question is: Do YOU want to take that risk?

Just get the shemagh and the flakjaks. Great eye protection, great full face protection, and you're able to shoulder a rifle.

5215_110.jpg

I did that once. I shattered 5 front teeth before a baseball game. We were practicing in the outfield and we were throwing fly-balls. I turned around just in time to see the fence. Needless to say, I took some Tylenol and played the game. I pitched and played first and my teeth were quite intimidating.

PP

I'm thinking about getting this. A guy on my team has one and its pretty sick

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=30025

In my opinion, that's not worth it at all. First of all, you need to wear safety glasses underneath, since BB's have a chance of shattering on the mask and shards hitting your eyes.

It's black, which is the most easily detectable color in nature.

It's 90 freaking dollars. That can be spent in much better ways.

In my opinion, that's not worth it at all. First of all, you need to wear safety glasses underneath, since BB's have a chance of shattering on the mask and shards hitting your eyes.

It's black, which is the most easily detectable color in nature.

It's 90 freaking dollars. That can be spent in much better ways.

Listen to the hobosaur.

Hes half hobo half dinosaur... where could you possibly get better advice?

Edited by Izak

wow buddy trust tryin to help. flakjak goggles are ok. I got some and they fog up after 5 mins unless you keep moving. I haven't tried to take out the vents though. or you could get some 100 dollar tactical oakley goggles that have real thermal lenses.

what he said about the mask is true...

Just get the flakjaks...if they fog remove the top vents (mine haven't yet...and I play in 100% humidity).

Then get a balaclava/shemagh and you have full seal eye-pro and face protection, for no more than $40....

You don't need a full face mask for airsoft (aka, paintball style masks) A shemagh or balaclava is enough for protecting your teeth...and paintball style masks almost always interfere with looking down your sights.

I wear flakjaks and a balaclava, along with my boonie hat....thats is plenty of protection for airsoft.

If you worried about the hits hurting your face.....nut up and shut up...the sting goes away after a few seconds...

Edited by jonathanMP5

(mine haven't yet...and I play in 100% humidity).

I'm pretty sure that means you play underwater........Get a spear gun with BB's on it! :D

In any case, any hits on your face will heal up fine, it's just your teeth and eye's that you need to protect. I don't like to use a full face mask because it keeps me from shouldering my guns, but I always remember to never grin. I was thinking about getting something like a neoprene face mask or some kind of mouth guard.

Maybe I should get the braces my mom was hassling me about.....

I would suggest the Arena Flakjak goggles with the Iron Face Mask. I use this combo and I like it a lot.

I'm pretty sure that means you play underwater........Get a spear gun with BB's on it! :D

In any case, any hits on your face will heal up fine, it's just your teeth and eye's that you need to protect. I don't like to use a full face mask because it keeps me from shouldering my guns, but I always remember to never grin. I was thinking about getting something like a neoprene face mask or some kind of mouth guard.

Maybe I should get the braces my mom was hassling me about.....

haha..,Sometimes here in the summer time (Florida) it does feel like you are underwater!! The humidity here sucks....along with the 100 degree temps..

I have a zan neoprene facemask, but I don't like it...too hot. I just wear a balaclava (and keep my mouth shut!) My girlfriend uses the zan mask, she likes it, and she has really expensive teeth (braces...) And I don't want to date a girl that looks like a hockey player :D

how do your flakjaks not fog. I'm in RI and they fog within 10-15mins of playing. I even put some antifot on em. unless removing the vents really make a huge difference?

Removing the top vents make a big difference. It allows the hot moist air to rise up and exit your goggles. But I really haven't had any trouble with them fogging...

Has anybody thought about one of these for the "protecting the teeth" part of the equation?:

http://www.protechguard.com/product-p/ptd-cb-1.htm

Also a video about them:

-Josh

Has anybody thought about one of these for the "protecting the teeth" part of the equation?:

http://www.protechguard.com/product-p/ptd-cb-1.htm

Also a video about them:

-Josh

I think a shemagh would do just fine for protecting your teeth. If you wanted to go any farther, you could just get a sports retainer for <$10.

how do your flakjaks not fog. I'm in RI and they fog within 10-15mins of playing. I even put some antifot on em. unless removing the vents really make a huge difference?

Mine fog like mad, but only if I sprint somewhere and then stop moving. If I crouch or lie down after working hard they fog pretty quick. I took the vents out because I had heard that it reduces fogging, and although it did a little, THE VENT HOLES ARE LARGE ENOUGH FOR BBS TO GET THROUGH. That completely negates the advantage of full seal goggles. needles to say, I put the vents back in.

Im getting some ESS this weekend.

as for the face protection, check these out http://downtowntactical.com/store/index.ph...products_id=929

Heres a review http://forum.mnairsoft.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=27904

if that isn't appealing, don't worry about wearing a paintball mask. Its not as badass, but neither is getting rocked in the bare face.

I use ESS goggles or Revision glasses for my eye protection...and from reading this, I should be using mouth protection. Hmmm...

For fields that require full face protection I use Iron face

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=32187

and a flakjack or ESS profile combo. Vented correctly I get no fog at all. It also doesn't hinder your aim down the sights or scopes like most paintball masks do.

If you want glasses Oakley, Revision, Wiley X, and ESS make some great stuff.

If you want goggles Revision has some nice stuff, Wiley X is great, I haven't realy looked at any goggles from ESS, flakjaks are what I lot of people love but I hear about them fogging all the time.

For face masks (I've used a JT Proflex in my last 2 games, I play on a 170 acre field so it's just exhausting wearing it so I'm switching to glasses) But CQB wise face masks are great, JT makes some nice stuff, empire also makes face masks. If you want to be original you can always get a russian praetorian mask ;)

If you chose to wear goggles or glasses I HIGHLY reccomend using a mouthguard or some kind of shemagh/scarg or a balaclava to protect your mouth. I've seen people get their teeth shot out.

For goggles ESS rocks. I was rollin with my flakjaks but they fogged so bad I decided I'd rather run ESS with dark lenses in woods than have clear lenses but fog. My ESSs didn't fog once, my Flakjaks didn't not fog once. With ESS goggles you can remove the foam, with Flakjaks, it is inadvisable to remove the vents since a bb can get through