Sign in to follow this  
Irock13

M4 Upgrading

Ok, so I have a CM M4 with about 40k-50k round through it. I have never opened the gearbox, or the gearbox of any other gun for that matter. But anyway, I want to upgrade it for mainly range, the rof is plenty already, and a slight fps boost and would like some suggestions. If anyone has a good dissasembly guide (I know how to get the gearbox OUT of the gun, but not apart.) they would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, so I have a CM M4 with about 40k-50k round through it. I have never opened the gearbox, or the gearbox of any other gun for that matter. But anyway, I want to upgrade it for mainly range, the rof is plenty already, and a slight fps boost and would like some suggestions. If anyone has a good dissasembly guide (I know how to get the gearbox OUT of the gun, but not apart.) they would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Gandg-Sp...ch-t137805.html post#25

Two of the cheapest upgrades are installing a Systema Hop Up BUcking and an SCS (Shredder's Concave Spacer) Nub into your hop-up. I did this to my M4 as well, and it boosted the accuracy like I couldn't believe. Also, if you don't use them already, .25's are more resilient to wind so they will travel straighter, as long as you have a decent FPS. Another thing that you can do is install a Tightbore Barrel, which only involves messing with the hopup.

Those three things will get you the best accuracy. The only thing you could gain by opening up the gearbox would be a higher FPS and maybe RoF if you upgraded other things. Since you said you're happy with the RoF, and only need a slight FPS boost, those three upgrades above should do it. Installing a TBB I believe slightly increases the FPS because less air escapes, since the barrel is close to 6mm (the size of the BB) in diameter.

However, if you want even greater FPS, you can do a few DIY mods in the gearbox. Make sure that you have good compression in the cylinder, following this guide for reference: http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?t=30907 . I used this test to find out that my own gun was lacking in compression, and fixed it using Teflon Tape and some lubrication in the cylinder. It fixed my gun right up.

Edited by IHazLPEG

Two of the cheapest upgrades are installing a Systema Hop Up BUcking and an SCS (Shredder's Concave Spacer) Nub into your hop-up. I did this to my M4 as well, and it boosted the accuracy like I couldn't believe. Also, if you don't use them already, .25's are more resilient to wind so they will travel straighter, as long as you have a decent FPS. Another thing that you can do is install a Tightbore Barrel, which only involves messing with the hopup.

Those three things will get you the best accuracy. The only thing you could gain by opening up the gearbox would be a higher FPS and maybe RoF if you upgraded other things. Since you said you're happy with the RoF, and only need a slight FPS boost, those three upgrades above should do it. Installing a TBB I believe slightly increases the FPS because less air escapes, since the barrel is close to 6mm (the size of the BB) in diameter.

However, if you want even greater FPS, you can do a few DIY mods in the gearbox. Make sure that you have good compression in the cylinder, following this guide for reference: http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?t=30907 . I used this test to find out that my own gun was lacking in compression, and fixed it using Teflon Tape and some lubrication in the cylinder. It fixed my gun right up.

Well, I already have a tightbore, and a systema bucking, but I need a SCS spacer. I also want to install an M120 into the gearbox to put my FPS up to right under 400. I already use .25's... but theyre matrix, so I need to upgrade my BB's as well. Thanks man.

Well, I already have a tightbore, and a systema bucking, but I need a SCS spacer. I also want to install an M120 into the gearbox to put my FPS up to right under 400. I already use .25's... but theyre matrix, so I need to upgrade my BB's as well. Thanks man.

lol then I guess I fail. Then with that I would just recommend upgrading the spring and motor like Fatboy said. What is the FPS on it now? I'd just make sure that you don't go over 400 if I were you, since some fields might not allow it.

So your saying to get an SP110 over an M120? I also want to replace my cylinder head and o-ring. What would be good for that?

Replacing the o-ring makes sense, use a #14 (duracon brand works great), stretch it over the cylinder and pass it over a light flame to give it a more permanent stretch. Some like to soak it in silicone oil overnight too.

But why do you want to replace your cylinder head?

I would recommend that if it's not broken, don't replace it. If you're having compression issues, wrap the CH in teflon tape and use silicone sealant.

The reason is that the stock nozzle works nicely with the stock CH, and you might have some real problems with your nozzle (and possibly your cylinder too) if you replace your CH.

Replacing the o-ring makes sense, use a #14 (duracon brand works great), stretch it over the cylinder and pass it over a light flame to give it a more permanent stretch. Some like to soak it in silicone oil overnight too.

But why do you want to replace your cylinder head?

I would recommend that if it's not broken, don't replace it. If you're having compression issues, wrap the CH in teflon tape and use silicone sealant.

The reason is that the stock nozzle works nicely with the stock CH, and you might have some real problems with your nozzle (and possibly your cylinder too) if you replace your CH.

^ +1. Great advice.

If you want your CM to last, I wouldn't recommend putting in more than a M115. With improved compression that should be ample. (SP110 ~= M120)

^ +1. Great advice.

If you want your CM to last, I wouldn't recommend putting in more than a M115. With improved compression that should be ample. (SP110 ~= M120)

So how does this sound for a setup? This: Matrix 6.03 Tightbore, PDI M115 Spring,SCS / PCS Nub, Systema Bucking, a #14 o-ring, G&P M120 Motor, Anything I'm forgetting?