Sign in to follow this  
TechnoMagi

Getting an unexpected charge to stay in the Authorized Seller group

So, I paid the $2.95 a month back for a 30 day seller account.

A few nights ago, Paypal yanked another $2.95 from my account, saying it was renewing my seller account. Nowhere on ASF's pages does it say the account will automatically renew. It actually hints I must do it manually or be unlisted as a paid seller. (http://www.airsoftforum.com/about/authorized-seller-for-30-days)

"Once your subscription expires, you will be automatically moved back to your original member group if you do not renew"

I don't mind paying $3, but the money was taken without my consent, and I only had .22 in my account, so the rest was pulled from my bank (also without consent), which only had a little over $1... so now I face some great overdraft fees.

I cancelled the 'subscription' crap on Paypal. I've also noticed I'm not a paid seller on here. So I have had my money taken, for no reason.

I have PM'd a few moderators, but the only ones who can help (NGOB, admin) have not replied. NGOB hasn't replied, and admin has his inbox clogged.

Anyone have an idea what to do here? I'm on the verge of filing a paypal claim. A BST seller account here isn't worth the $20-$30 in overdraft I get to pay.

Edit by Airborne101:If you do not know how to unsubscribe in Paypal, do a quick search of "subscription" in Paypal's search bar.

Edited by airborne101

If I were you, I would use his personal number. He is very friendly and reasonable. Plus, I would assume it is for serious reasons like this that he lists his number. In a way, you will be doing us a favor by alerting him to this problem, so he can fix it. That way, future issues like this won't come up.

I'll speak to Robert. This surprisingly passed under my radar that there isn't a clause about automatic renewal. Maybe it's a PayPal thing? I'm going to ask Robert why this is the case. From the options I have here, our system currently has no option to "auto-charge" members, which gives me suspicion it's a PayPal option, not an ASF option.

And I don't recall ever "blowing off" PMs from my members. If I did, it was unintentional. Perhaps it got buried under the dozens of PMs I get a day. I apologize if I did not answer your PM.

Robert's personal number is there for your convenience. If you refuse to use it, then that is your choice, but sometimes contacting him directly gets things sorted out faster because I can only give information. I have no control over the bank account. Only Robert can issue refunds.

My records indicate you were never charged for the payment, nor did you accept it, and there's no Seller Status for you. That's what I'm seeing. I need to see the PayPal charge, because from my end, you're subscription expired the 8th and nothing past that was charged. If you cancelled the PayPal charge, I still should have seen something like a "Failed" charge from my end, but again, there's nothing past the original subscription you purchased back in July.

-------------------

Update:

I texted Robert and got an answer within 6 minutes. ASF does not issue an automatic charge. PayPal does. PayPal reads it as a subscription. So you need to disable this in your PayPal account.

Also, we found inconsistencies in your account. We need a phone number and valid email from you. Without this information, we cannot issue any refunds or even begin to search among the transactions for your payment. We're trying to locate the extra charges, but from what the Admin and I see, there are none. Which is why we need your valid email to check and see.

Also, Robert is editing the description to include the clause that you need to disable the PayPal auto-renewal if you choose to do so.

Edited by NGOB

I removed my phone number as it for whatever reason was publicly visible on my profile. Noticed that after my seller status was removed. Removed my email as well. My email was also in the PM I had sent you. Either case, I'll add them back to my profile now.

I believe disabling auto-renewal removed me from the seller list. If that's the case, then payers will need to cancel the subscription the very day before it renews on its own. What the crap.

Edited by admin
removed image with personal contact info in it

I removed my phone number as it for whatever reason was publicly visible on my profile. Noticed that after my seller status was removed. Removed my email as well. My email was also in the PM I had sent you. Either case, I'll add them back to my profile now....

#1, you are failing to mention that I refunded your $2.95 as soon as I was made aware of your problem. As NGOB pointed out - my phone number is on public display for member issues. I can't really help if people don't call or text me to clue me in about their issue.

#2, a "subscription" is auto-renewed by paypal according to the terms of the "subscription". if it is a 30 day subscription, then it auto-renews every 30 days. If it is a quarterly subscription you pay every 3 months. If it is a yearly subscription, then you pay every 12 months according to the terms of the agreement that "you have agreed to"

The wordage that you are referring to was misunderstood by you so I have edited it for complete clarity. The previous comment "...if you do not renew" was not intended to mislead or confuse - it was simply there to make it clear that if your subscription expires and you do not renew it you will be automatically placed in your previous member group. I thought that it was pretty clear the first time, but I can see how you may have been confused about it...

On the paypal page where you actually begin the payment process, it did not say "if you do not renew". What it actually said was:

Authorized Seller for 30 Days - $2.95 USD for each month

For complete clarification and as you have quoted,

...Once your subscription expires, you will be automatically moved back to your original member group if you do not renew...

What this means is that WHEN your SUBSCRIPTION expires (regardless of the cancel method), your account will be automatically and immediately placed back in your original member group. Subscriptions can expire in many ways:

Subscriptions can expire if a member has insufficient funds in his account,

Subscriptions can expire if the member manually cancels it at any time,

Subscriptions can expire if an administrator manually cancels it for the member at any time and for any reason (namely violating our terms of service),

regardless of how it is canceled... Once that happens, accounts do not remain in the member group in which they have upgraded to with these subscriptions. I hope this clears up any confusion for future members / subscribers.

....I believe disabling auto-renewal removed me from the seller list. If that's the case, then payers will need to cancel the subscription the very day before it renews on its own. What the crap.

Yes, that is the very reason for the quote you pasted. I wanted to make it crystal clear that once your subscription expires, you will be immediately placed back into your previous member group. In order to stay in the member group of which you have "subscribed to" you must be current with your payments according to the terms of that particular subscription. (every 30 days, quarterly, yearly, etc). Members at their option, can cancel their subscription the day prior to the next billing instance or they can continue to support us financially and remain in the member group that they have upgraded to.

#3 I am sorry for your over draft fees, but I can not accept the financial responsibility of all members who refuse to pay attention to their bank accounts. I too have had overdraft fees and typically they are my fault just as over draft fees on your account are generally the fault of the account holder (you). I know that sucks and I know it sucks to have to pay the bank for overdraft fees when you were not aware of a re-occurring charge. The best advice I can give you is: be careful what you sign up for. We have not made any effort to confuse or mislead our subscribers in any way so I apologize for your misfortune and I am addressing your issue here publicly as opposed to deleting or hiding it.

#4 and lastly, neither your phone number, nor your email address is displayed publicly here on the forum to anyone but YOU. We take great effort to protect the privacy of our members. I believe what you are referring to is YOUR info being shown ONLY TO YOU (and administrators). Only the member himself and an administrator can view a member's email address or phone number. Regular members, guests, visitors and advertisers CAN NOT view that private information. You can confirm this by logging out of the forum and then trying to view your private info... You will notice that it will disappear as soon as you log out. Additionally you can confirm this by noticing that while you are logged in to the forum you can NOT view anyone else's phone number or email address either.

Edited by admin