bnoji

PolarStar Drop-In HPA System for V2 Guns

Hmm this system looks really great. So with the final product what is the FPS we would be getting out of this? I wanna use this at my airsoft fields but they are all like 400fps max with .2

You can adjust it to whatever you wish.

Amart, I'm done talking with you.

Edited by Amorton94

Alright. I'm turned off of AEGs. Permanently. Had to replace a 40 dollar stripped piston on top of a 20.00 main spring. Just going to sell the darn 'box. Anyone want to buy a m150 version 2? 270 takes the whooole thing Gearbox, motor, and battery.

Die Marui man..DIE

HPA can't get here fast enough.

Edited by sniperelite7

What kind of output pressure should we look for in a tank?

If I understand the system correctly, your looking at a standard paintball hpa or co2 tank, which would have an out put pressure of about 700 I think. You would plug that into regulator, however, which would bring the pressure down to about 100 or so.

Bnoji: have you tried using this system with a buffer tube lipo? Do the ECU and lipo both fit in the buffer tube?

Also, I noticed the red "high flow nozzle" on the latest pic on facebook. Does this bring velocity up to the previously stated limit, or beyond it?

Edit: 2nd question is answered, previously stated maximum velocities are WITH the high flow nozzle.

Edited by dASm

It's a little humorous, that airsoft moved away from HPA for several reasons, and now showing signs of partly going back to it, although now flavored by electronics, or not really just flavored, they are in very important role making this system desirable. We often point out how paintball is so much more different from airsoft, but this would be big step towards paintball. I also wouldn't compare AEG vs electro-pneumatic, as that is misleading. I would put the comparison as spring versus HPA and internal vs external power source.

I mean, I think it's kinda silly to be overly excited about this and think it revolutionizes everything, as it's "old" technology and "paintball" technology, it's pretty much the exact opposite of being new, -airsoft- revolutionizing thing. I'm not going to claim though, that it doesn't have it uses and isn't desirable for many dedicated players. I could be interested too, but I really don't know if I want to carry tank and hose + it might have increased effect on tightening airsoft related laws or site specific rules, due to people using them wrong or just not being able trust people use them correctly. I'm happy, that the company behind this is Polarstar, I can't quite think of company of which quality I trust as much.

In the future I'd like to see lowcap EBBR's becoming mainstream and electro-pneumatic systems being a niche choice for some people, who don't mind being slightly shunned upon in milsim events. As long as internal source GBBR's aren't taking the cake! Those combine all impracticalities together into an ugly mess of unreasonableness, if you ask me. This is good time for companies to milk some money as there's all these different options, though.

Edited by Vorch

I think Vorch makes an interesting point; we aren't treading new ground in terms of technology, just in terms of application. I think KWA and Real Sword's EBBRs have real promise of being decent competitors against gas in mag GBBRs in terms of a compromise between reliability and realism.

Back to a general question: when can I finally buy the GB?! Seriously, haven't bought any GB parts since December since I'm not planning on needing them, but one by one my V2s keep failing...

It's a little humorous, that airsoft moved away from HPA for several reasons, and now showing signs of partly going back to it, although now flavored by electronics, or not really just flavored, they are in very important role making this system desirable. We often point out how paintball is so much more different from airsoft, but this would be big step towards paintball. I also wouldn't compare AEG vs electro-pneumatic, as that is misleading. I would put the comparison as spring versus HPA and internal vs external power source.

I mean, I think it's kinda silly to be overly excited about this and think it revolutionizes everything, as it's "old" technology and "paintball" technology, it's pretty much the exact opposite of being new, -airsoft- revolutionizing thing. I'm not going to claim though, that it doesn't have it uses and isn't desirable for many dedicated players. I could be interested too, but I really don't know if I want to carry tank and hose + it might have increased effect on tightening airsoft related laws or site specific rules, due to people using them wrong or just not being able trust people use them correctly. I'm happy, that the company behind this is Polarstar, I can't quite think of company of which quality I trust as much.

In the future I'd like to see lowcap EBBR's becoming mainstream and electro-pneumatic systems being a niche choice for some people, who don't mind being slightly shunned upon in milsim events. As long as internal source GBBR's aren't taking the cake! Those combine all impracticalities together into an ugly mess of unreasonableness, if you ask me. This is good time for companies to milk some money as there's all these different options, though.

Nothing like people commenting on a topic when they have zero idea what they're talking about. Tighter airsoft restrictions because of high pressure tanks? Really? If I didn't already know, I'd ask you where the heck you pulled that from. BTW, what are these "several" magical reasons for why airsoft moved away from external air? Your post pretty much amounts to someone saying "All of these DVDs are stupid... I mean, information on a disk? There's a REASON why we moved away from Laserdiscs, people!"

BTW, for anyone who knows anything about classics... we are treading new territory. Look your standard BV system, the same system that was used in at least 2/3 of classic airsoft guns. Then look at the concept diagrams for the HPA "gearbox". What's that? They're radically different due to the newer pneumatic and electronic technology that we didn't have access to on a consumer level back in the 80s and classics were more prevalent? That means this system is largely more efficient, practical and has higher performance than any classic GNBBR that came before it? Very observant, Doctor Watson!

Edited by Kavurcen

Guest OpSic66

Careful now Kav. You could have illustrated your point without being nearly as offensive as you had.

The poster is indeed incorrect on the New vs Classic "blowback". Having an HP rig, running a gun is nothing new. Yet there has been major advances in technology in air regulation and parts machining. Which has given us smaller and lighter regulators, that are way more consistent.

We are not treading on new territory as far as technology goes. This thing is basically an electropneumatic paintball gun system in the shape of a gear box. The means to do this has been around as long a electropnumatic paintball guns have, its just that no one has bothered until now. What is new is the ability to use standard AEG parts around the system.

Its not a bullet valve, but its not new.

Can someone explain why closed bolt is better for this? It seems completely illogical to me.

Edited by ServedConsistently

I'd believe that there is a lot of specific factors in manufacturing that go into it that would have to be figured out first.

Still, something broad like '100-200' or '200-350' would be nice.

I read on Airsoft GI that the gearbox is gonna be $415 and to get it in an Armalite M4 body is 650-750 depending on the body.

Yeah, the owner of the field said no. While he admitted that you can lower and raise the velocities of practically all aeg's and gas guns. Many of them quickly. In his eye's the hpa system would be another thing to police. Nevermind my mentioning of paintball tourny locks. :rolleyes: I don't want to give the place a bad rep. Its a well run and fantastic field to play at. But that was just disheartening. Still want to get this setup. But maybe not as soon as I hoped too. :(

But onto the gearbox. So with say a 363 length barrel you wouldn't be getting 500fps w/.2g BB's?

I know that they have a 1J nozzle that is not affected by the pressure of the HPA tank into the gun, so I would assume that it could be done for higher energy limits as well.

We are not treading on new territory as far as technology goes. This thing is basically an electropneumatic paintball gun system in the shape of a gear box. The means to do this has been around as long a electropnumatic paintball guns have, its just that no one has bothered until now. What is new is the ability to use standard AEG parts around the system.

Its not a bullet valve, but its not new.

Can someone explain why closed bolt is better for this? It seems completely illogical to me.

Closed bolt is more applicable to semi auto DMR style applications.

The normal AEG cycle loads the round, then fires milliseconds later.

Closed bolt will fire first, then chamber the next round so any movement of the nozzle happens after the shot. The BB being fired was placed there after the previous shot and has had the time to feed and seat properly into the bucking. Trigger response is essentially instantaneous as well since we're not waiting on the BB to feed first.

In a hopup/mag system where placement of the feeding BB is unpredictable, the time required to return to battery can vary per shot. Since the AEG piston release is fixed in relation to the tappet plate release, it cannot account for the variations in RTB times. Even in "AEG Mode" in the Fusion system, our timing is adjustable, but not on a per-shot basis. Closed bolt just allows more time for things to "settle" after chambering the round.

I'm seriously considering buying a full PR-15 kit, but I'm saddened that the HPA rig isn't included. If it was, I would be sold on the spot. I guess I'll have to go back and finish my own rig.

Serious questions:

What is included in the full PR-15 option? I'm leaning towards the 10.5" over the 14.5", but that's mostly a preference thing.

What are the internals like? Granted, the P* gearbox, but what is in the hopup and barrel?

VFC is the OEM of the receivers, I assume this is true for the entire outer as well?

Is it possible to buy an HPA rig with the complete rifle?

I'm sorry if this information is available somewhere else. I've been sifting through the info on ASGI, your Youtube, Facebook, and Website.

Thanks for your responses. I'm really, really excited for this.

Edited by p4ndora

I'm seriously considering buying a full PR-15 kit, but I'm saddened that the HPA rig isn't included. If it was, I would be sold on the spot. I guess I'll have to go back and finish my own rig.

Serious questions:

What is included in the full PR-15 option? I'm leaning towards the 10.5" over the 14.5", but that's mostly a preference thing.

What are the internals like? Granted, the P* gearbox, but what is in the hopup and barrel?

VFC is the OEM of the receivers, do they make the barrel/upper as well?

Is it possible to buy an HPA rig with the complete rifle?

I'm sorry if this information is available somewhere else. I've been sifting through the info on ASGI, your Youtube, Facebook, and Website.

Thanks for your responses. I'm really, really excited for this.

What is included is what you would get with a high end AEG: gun, accessories, no power source.

As far as I know, they make everything except the GB. I do know, however, that the hopup unit is going to somehow be custom fitted to the GB to help airseal/velocity/accuracy/whatever.

They have hinted at having plans for a complete setup in the future, but it will doubtlessly be cheaper to cobble one together yourself. Theirs will probably work better, but cost + wait = get one together now.

Hey can we get a range test for the 700+ fps that this is capable of? With like some .43s or something as well.

Lol. Planning on doing some long range plinking? Also, range is far more dependent on the barrel setup than the gearbox setup. Just look for some other 700ish FPS gun that uses an AEG hopup.

So who here has actually gotten an order in/received a gun?

I was one of the first people to contact them, but I STILL haven't been able to actually pay the (due to their lack of response).

I'll have been emailing them for 2 months tomorrow.

I understand they're busy, but still....

I would love this a lot more if they incorporated some form of internal tank, even if it is a buffer tube with a molded crane stock on it similar to what paintball guns have been doing for ages.

Ultimately though I don't like the idea of throwing a paintball remote with compressed air tank on it, especially not for 2000 shots (which was a figure mentioned on one of their youtube videos, though they did not mention the CI of the tank or if it was 3k,4.5k etc)

I REALLY like the sound and not having crapgas in leaky mags and all in all I really like that a company is taking steps to advance our sport drastically and give the consumer options. Too often the people are content with stagnation.

I would love this a lot more if they incorporated some form of internal tank, even if it is a buffer tube with a molded crane stock on it similar to what paintball guns have been doing for ages.

Ultimately though I don't like the idea of throwing a paintball remote with compressed air tank on it, especially not for 2000 shots (which was a figure mentioned on one of their youtube videos, though they did not mention the CI of the tank or if it was 3k,4.5k etc)

I REALLY like the sound and not having crapgas in leaky mags and all in all I really like that a company is taking steps to advance our sport drastically and give the consumer options. Too often the people are content with stagnation.

The uselessness of internal tanks was seen only too often in classics. The external tank is necessary for a system like this, or any other gas system, to be a true performer. With an internal tank you lose the ability to adjust FPS as well as they would never build a regulator into the gun. There is a reason airsoft guns are for MILSIM and paintball guns look like toys.

A hose can be easily hidden anyways- a lot of people complain about the hose and 99% of them haven't even used one in a match. You forget about it instantly.

This system WAS built for performance, and that is what they did.

I do have two questions:

1. Can CO2 be used if a sub-regulator is incorporated into my air rig?

2. What's the deal with the selector plate? A LOT of V2 guns have different selector plates/ selector switch mechanisms (MP5/Masada/SCAR). Will those guns be able to use the system somehow?

Considering regulators can be very small, especially in the absence of a gauge(though it would make things more touchy) there is no reason an on-board regulator couldn't be used.

It definitely depends on the gun, most m4 variants would have a decent sized stock that could double as an air tank, but it would look a bit rough. Squad weapons have room that could be used to hide a tank, though in those cases you're expected to fire a lot of rounds(being a true machine gun) and as such the tank would need to be very large indeed. I was thinking more along the lines of custom tanks, different shapes than the standard round that could be designed to fit with specific guns in specific places, though I imagine the cost to be prohibitively high.

I just cant imagine following as close to milsim as possible and at the same time not being able to put the gun down.

While I see it as being less parts to foul up inside the gearbox, especially at those higher fps settings, it still feels clunky to me.

Does anyone know how many shots per C.I. of 3k or 4.5k air you get?

Like I said, until you have used an external air rig on field, you have no idea how it works. Can't put the gun down? That's bogus- my line consists of coiled hose that will easily stretch as far as the gun will go. Not to mention I can detach it from my tank at the flip of a switch as I have QD connectors.

Like I said, until you have used an external air rig on field, you have no idea how it works. Can't put the gun down? That's bogus- my line consists of coiled hose that will easily stretch as far as the gun will go. Not to mention I can detach it from my tank at the flip of a switch as I have QD connectors.

Also, if you run the coiled remote over your shoulder instead of under your armpit, It makes the remote much less likely to get caught on stuff and makes it easier to shoot off hand.

Finally got mine, very much in love with it. As consistent as I expected it would be, now I just need to pair it with a better bucking for an even better airseal as I destroyed my only good one experimenting with different hopup styles.

I also got a nozzle to go with my gun for higher fps. I recall a video where polarstar was showing how to remove and replace the airnozzles. Can't seem to find it though. Anyone remember?

Update: Found out how, the video had thrown me off and I was thinking it popped right off after you removed the 2 screws. In the version I have, the front section screws off after the 2 screws are removed. The silver nozzle is putting out 530 fps.

Edited by sniperelite7

aaaaahhhhhh EVERYONE HERE IS TALKING ABOUT :pain: AND NOBODY HAS A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. STOP.

First off if you haven't used the system and are somehow comparing it to the "classics" feel free to remain silent. Its not comparable.

Someone asked about tank pressure: you are using a paintball than and YOU NEED TO USE HPA TO RUN THE SYSTEM SAFELY. If you run CO2 you can get liquid CO2 into the line and spike the pressure. Technically speaking CO2 is possible to use, but its really not a good idea. Tank pressure OUTPUT should be 800PSI but nitrogen paintball tanks, what you use, are pressurized to 3000-4500PSI and run an integral reg which brings it down to 800psi. From there you need to drop it to max 120PSI for the production version of the fusion engine. This is done with one or two regs.

Next up the production version isn't the high power free for all that most of you think it is. If you have little skill working on a GB then you'll find that you can achieve comparable powers to the production version of the Fusion engine.

Finally having used de-restricted versions of this system, and having worked with P* on this one, I can say this really is a serious product. Consistency is extremely high, as is reliability. Really if you have the skill to build the rest of the rifle well this thing will easily blow any other system out of the water. Power output is just so much better than the old BV tech HPA guns. (like the famous Right Hook fabrication rifles) So you can look at it as an expensive toy, but if you take a step back you'll notice you just got better precision than any of the BASRs but now you can do it effortlessly in full auto.

Someone also asked about power sources. The voltage input range has been published, so I'm not going to repeat it, but this system can be powered off of buffer tube lipos, 9v radio batteries, or just about anything else. It doesn't require much power to function, and it is in fact possible to get a small enough lipo to fit next to the PCB in the buffer tube and get a tank's worth of shots out of it.

So before you ask yes I've been working with this system for a couple months now. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

CO2 is a big no-no for one other reason- it gets *really* cold when it expands, so if you get a small amount of liquid CO2 in the internals, it will expand and freeze delicate internal parts (most notably the orings).

I haven't use the P* but I do know my way around paintball guns. Don't use CO2 in the P*.