to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
socosniper

Airsoft toolbox

I've recently received a wooden workbench from my grandfather and so I'm putting together a tool set to use when I work on my guns. I'm just wondering what tools I should get and also other items such as what types of lubes to purchase.

I was planning on gathering the following:

A set of screwdrivers( Allen's head, flathead, and torx) in different sizes

Assorted sizes of Allen/hex wrenches most likely in metric

Several hook and pick tools

Needle-nose pliers

Hammer

locking forceps

tweezer

Assorted plier styles

locking clamp to hold gun in place

tamiya connector remover

Soldering Iron

rotary Dremel Tool

Multi-tool

Mini-screwdrivers

Some sort of cloth to use to clean the barrel

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Gcommando36
+ set of punches with punch hammer. There are lots of pins of different sizes that need to be punched out.

Not really necessary IMO, I get by fine without one. I use my screwdrivers as punches and my fold out allen wrench set works as a mallet.

Guest Gcommando36

I've heard good things about Mad Bull chronos, they seem to be pretty popular. I use Mad Bull gear and piston/cylinder grease, and I plan on trying some ICS silicone oil out soon.

Teflon grease from G&P for AEG gearboxes, and Silicone oil (100%) from ICS (nice big bottle for $8) for any lubing on metal guns where metal meets metal etc. I would highly reccomend that you get some sort of cloth table or covering so as not to scratch any of your guns when working on them. Also put the parts on a blue towel or white one so that you can see them easily. Ummm besides that I don't have much to add.....I am able to access all of my dads tools as long as they are put back correctly so thats not a problem really.....chronometers are not needed in my opinion unless you got $50 to spend.....just take the gun toy your local airsoft place and they should have one for you to use....hope this helps and good luck

magnets!!!

easy to set screws on and not to lose, plus if one drops in a tight spot a thin magnet on a stick can retrieve it fairly easily, learned this when I worked as a mechanic, screws, nuts, bolts can fall in some of the most unreachable places, but thanks to a magnet, they are reachable.

yes chrisnupp......I forgot to add that. Just get like a pair of those 2 magnets at any toy store or shell out $10 and get one that looks like a metal detector that has 50lbs pull strength from Ace Hardware...........the ICS silicone oil is very good too (I have used it alot). Any other questions shoot me a pm and I will try to answer them as best I can

Thanks for all your guys help I'm trying to learn how to do my own mechbox work because the according to several people I know the nearest airsoft store to me doesn't do very good mechbox or gun work. Also I would like to have the satisfaction of knowing that I made my gun work better and didn't pay someone to do it. Also I was thinking of buying an assortment of shims to keep in case I need to adjust my gearbox. Also I was wondering if they sold sets of o-rings anywhere or if they just sold them in bulk at like home depot.

Guest Gcommando36
magnets!!!

easy to set screws on and not to lose, plus if one drops in a tight spot a thin magnet on a stick can retrieve it fairly easily, learned this when I worked as a mechanic, screws, nuts, bolts can fall in some of the most unreachable places, but thanks to a magnet, they are reachable.

Just use your motor, it has a magnet in it that's strong enough to do the job.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this helps but this is just what I personally have in my tool kit:

2x Rags

Goof Off

Metric allen wrench set (doubles as a mallet)

Phillips and standard screwdrivers (double as punches)

Extra O-Rings

Extra fuses

30W Soldering Iron

Solder

some capacitors

Mad Bull Gear Grease

Mad Bull Piston/Cylinder Grease

ICS Silicone Oil

Extra shims

Cleaning rod

Cleaning patches (made from a cut up T Shirt)

Really long large phillips screwdriver (for buffer tube screws, grip screws, etc)

Swiss Army Knife

Extra wiring

Deans connectors

Q-Tips

Tooth Picks

Edited by Gcommando36

the motor picks up metal particles as well as screws, and that can damage the motor if too much gets in. I just gave up on fuses as they are expensive and its just easier to use silicone wire and tamiya connectors to make a new one. That's something else to add: 14g silicone wire, deans connectors, and tamiya connectors (if you are going to use them). The silicone wire from MAXX products is amazing and is very nice for the price. any soldering wire even the cheap ones from Hobbico ($10) are fine as long as you are using flux (from radioshack) which draws the solder to the wire (also add solder). you don't really need all that stuff but its if you are working on an AEG......the dremel is probably the #1 tool you will use and just buy 1 of those big kits with all the attachments for like $20 because in the end you will save more with that than trying to buy the attachments seperately.

Edited by AKAKman

I not sure what gearbox you plan on working on but magnets also help with the ar latch and trigger mech in ver2 gearboxes. so a magnet other than your motor (works best if its some what flat)

he needs to specify what he will be working on.....AEGs or Gas Guns....or Springers.......that list is for all types of gun parts. Why spend the money on replacement parts that he will never use? just get the things for what ever type gun you are working on.

Edited by AKAKman

Guest Gcommando36
I just gave up on fuses as they are expensive

A pack of five glass fuses is $1.87 at a local hardware store. I also got 3 30A Mini Blade ones for $3 at radio shack.

I will be modifying AEG gearboxes. For now just my M4 and my P90. The only work I will do on gas guns is maintenance such as replacing non-functional items or repairing mags. As of now I have no spring guns that I would work on. The only work I will do on my P90 as of right now is to downgrade the spring in order to get it down to CQB approved levels. I will be doing more extensive work on the m4.

yup then just get all the stuff we mentioned for AEGs.......gease, magnets, soldering iron, allen wrenches, small hammer, screwdriver set, teflon tape, puches, q-tips, toothpicks, mineral sprirts (for removing dust and dirt), paintbrushes (get cheap ones as you won't be painting per say), shop towels, a swiss army knife would be nice but I never used one for airsoft stuff, cleaning rod, maybe extra fuses, tamiya and deans conncetors, MAXX silicone wire, silicone lube,flux (for soldering), solder, extra shims, extra O-rings,......you get the picture.....hope this helps

I use a big tackle box for fishing to hold all my tools and parts in. it has three seperate organizers that fit in like shelves and on top of that a big bin area and on top of the big bin theres a small organizer

I use the small organizer for small tools and the big bin for larger tools and parts and the three organizers I have internal parts then screws and springs and pins and things and then the third one just has random bits in it

its a huge help to have

a better thing to use would be a vice with rubber vice grips to grip things without scratching them. A tackle box might be nice to have but I have never used one at my workspace.

To store the tools in a have a workbench that was a gift from my grandfather so I will be using that for storage. as for gripping the gun I was planning on putting a vice on the side of the bench that could be used to hold the guns in place and keep them steady

A tackle box might be nice to have but I have never used one at my workspace.

I don't really have an actual work place. so the tacklebox keeps the part of the house I use neat and tidy

plus I can easilly take all my tools and parts with me wherever I go if I want to work on things. like if im going to my gf's for two weeks and have stuff I wanna do. I just box a gun up and grab the tackle tool box

Make sure to pick up a valve key should you work with gas guns. Also, the Tamiya connector remover is somewhat superfluous. Once you take off Tamiyas, you shouldn't be putting them back on... ever. Snippy snip with the scissors gets the job done just fine.

Edited by eckoman11