to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Words & How you Speak

The words you use and how you speak tell people how smart you are (or are not). If you want people to think and believe you're smart, then you need to act and speak as if you are.

I heard a commercial / advertisement a long time ago (maybe 15 or 18 years ago) for an audio program that was designed to help people build their vocabulary and in that commercial, they said,

When you speak, please listen! And the words you use tell them about your education

I find that statement to be very true and I have tried to live by that for a long time now. If you want to sound like a hood rat, then speak 1337 talk or Ebonics but I promise you that while you may sound cool to your buddies, you definitely do not sound cool to business professionals. Try to take the time to learn a new word here and there and commit to using them. I'm not talking about trying to use words that only a few people use or understand... I'm talking about common words that you don't use often... Maybe invest a few bucks into a pocket thesaurus and try to incorporate new words into your sentences when you can and as you do this - pretty soon those new words will become common knowledge to you.

You're friends will think you've been paying attention in school.

...just something to think about...

• Upvote 1

I speak clearly and explain things in detail and sometimes use words most people don't or don't know

dumb people threatened by my intelligence often call me stupid or a dork or an idiot. makes sense that if I can think up things and invent stuff or have a profound thought that they never would that makes me a stupid idiot ......right?

I hate how people use bad grammar/words in the wrong place all the time

like I know so many people who say theyre bored of something. its bored with not of

people who say they passed out and spell it past

people who say lol when theyre talking ....yea with their mouths

people who half of their vocabulary are homophobic insults and racial slurs

people who get all pissed off angry if I try to explain simple things they don't understand

white people who try their hardest to talk black. y'know im white, I say what crap means, not some dumb sounding made up word or a word that means something else but now were gonna try to look cool and apply it to something else that it wasnt intended for and change its meaning

people who get ridiculously angry if I correct them. I get that people don't like to be corrected but im a people too and I don't like to look like an idiot either

adults older than myself who say all forms of the f word nearly every other word they say

the list goes on and on

I am a very intelligent person and have a high IQ.

I got to Cosmo school, and I must say that I thought people in high school were dumb. this is a whole new area of idiocy. Since I have been there I have had to explain to a few of the girls that not all Mormons are polygamists, that Ted Bundy is not from Married with Children, and that not all things are as easy as they see them.

Nothing kills my professional respect for someone like misuse of words, improper spelling, or horrible grammar. I guess on a forum, sometimes, it's excusable. However I've been horribly disappointed when I see fellow "professionals" with misspelled words and horrible grammar in my work e-mails. I really fear for the younger generations raised with texting, IM, and spellcheck. It won't be long until people's resumes read:

"I worked 4:

My rents (lol), McD's"...

At which point I will promptly vomit.

If you want to sound like a hood rat, then speak 1337 talk or Ebonics but I promise you that while you may sound cool to your buddies, you definitely do not sound cool to business professionals.

I realize that this is four years old, but I'm just seeing this and come on... Ebonics?