to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Break up Your Thoughts into readable statements

This is something that many people seem to have a problem with, and that is: BREAK UP LONG WINDED POSTS

A proper and correct "paragraph" is a group of (NO MORE THAN) 3 to 5 sentences to convey a thought.

When you have a lot to say, you need to break up your thoughts into paragraphs. When you type a huge long run-on story, #1 people are intimidated by that and generally DO NOT want to read all of it and they sort of skim through it if they read it at all... and #2 a long run-on story is difficult to read and very overwhelming for most people.

I've touched on this before and here is the example... The following is a copy and paste where I explained this in another post. I am going to paste it twice here so you can see the difference. Once as a huge long run-on message and then again as a more readable, (properly broken up into paragraphs) message.. See for yourself which is easier to read and which one inspires you to actually read it all... ??

Ok Second thing I wanted to suggest for you Demonx0 is this... "Run-On Sentences”: those are a problem so here is how you fix them. Run-on sentences are words and words and words without commas or periods. You have to break up thoughts into chunks of information that the reader can absorb and understand. You do this basically by describing a thought or a statement and then end it (give the reader a chance to catch his breath). Then you give them the next bit of information and if it’s a long thought, you can separate the two ideas in that same sentence with a comma such as I have just done in this sentence you are reading right now. Another very important thing is to break up long-winded posts, or long winded stories. It is very difficult for a reader to tackle a large block of text, reading word after word; sentence and sentence without a break. So what you do is; you break up your thoughts and stories into paragraphs of no more than 3 to 5 sentences each paragraph. Once you have said what you wanted to say in a sentence, start a new one. Once you have 3, 4 or 5 sentences in your story or message, start a new paragraph – just as I am doing right now. Also, take note that you are in no way the first person to have a problem with this. This is pretty much an ongoing problem around here where people post unintelligible messages all the time and I think this probably tries the patience of a lot of other members (which is why it seems that they are cracking down on you too hard. For that I apologize and this is the very reason I wanted to take a few minutes to explain this as opposed to let you go off half cocked after just having your new topic crapped in and a number of members attacking you personally. They don’t mean to be attacking or insulting you personally, I promise. Also, I can pretty much guarantee to you that there are hundreds of other people reading my words right here thinking, “Interesting, I did not know that.” So mark my words, you are not alone and don’t take the above comments personal.

See what I mean? who wants to read all of that and believe me, I've seen way worse than that... But try this, here it is again more readable...

Ok Second thing I wanted to suggest for you Demonx0 is this... "Run-On Sentences”: those are a problem so here is how you fix them. Run-on sentences are words and words and words without commas or periods. You have to break up thoughts into chunks of information that the reader can absorb and understand. You do this basically by describing a thought or a statement and then end it (give the reader a chance to catch his breath). Then you give them the next bit of information and if it’s a long thought, you can separate the two ideas in that same sentence with a comma such as I have just done in this sentence you are reading right now.

Another very important thing is to break up long-winded posts, or long winded stories. It is very difficult for a reader to tackle a large block of text, reading word after word; sentence and sentence without a break. So what you do is; you break up your thoughts and stories into paragraphs of no more than 3 to 5 sentences each paragraph. Once you have said what you wanted to say in a sentence, start a new one. Once you have 3, 4 or 5 sentences in your story or message, start a new paragraph – just as I am doing right now.

Also, take note that you are in no way the first person to have a problem with this. This is pretty much an ongoing problem around here where people post unintelligible messages all the time and I think this probably tries the patience of a lot of other members (which is why it seems that they are cracking down on you too hard. For that I apologize and this is the very reason I wanted to take a few minutes to explain this as opposed to let you go off half cocked after just having your new topic crapped in and a number of members attacking you personally.

They don’t mean to be attacking or insulting you personally, I promise. Also, I can pretty much guarantee to you that there are hundreds of other people reading my words right here thinking, “Interesting, I did not know that.” So mark my words, you are not alone and don’t take the above comments personal.

........just something to think about there because if you are like me and you generally have a lot to say, how you convey your words with text - says a lot about your education. Try what I am suggesting here once in a while and see if it makes a huge positive impact for you....