to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
freespace535

I'm skinny

So I said it. But I don't want to be a bodybuilder per se, not that I have anything against them etc, but I want to have muscles while remaining kind of lean (ie I don't want to be beefy). A couple times over the years I've tried to start routines but never really keep them going, because it seems to take really long to get results that will motivate me. So I have a couple kind of generic questions -

Are all those supplements and whatnot necessary to become at least mildly muscular? I don't have lots of money to go spending, but if there are certain foods that I should be eating regularly I could get those more easily than vitamins and supplements.

Is it possible/practical to get results without going to a gym? I have some freeweights and a pull up bar, and of course the floor for sit ups and pushups.

So if its possible to basically DIY muscle build, I'd like to know. And I understand that it won't be as effective as it would be if I were to use a gym and supplements, but I just want to look fit.

Mainly what I'd want: Pecs, biceps and abs.

If it helps, I'm 17, 6'1 and 140 ish.

Starting light is the best way to start, its easy to add pounds You just need to EAT! Supplements arent really good except more protein. In a average persons results 90% are form hard work and 10% from supplements , sure they help the best get better and get every edge they can but its not a magic pill.

It will take a long time but at your height you can carry 180 pounds solidly, but it takes time to add muscle. Eat 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight daily, so around 280 grams of protein. The basic idea is to just eat a lot of healthy food with protein being up to 35% of your diet.

Working out at home is easy I can name 18 bodyweight exercises off the top of my head to work every major muscle. The best muscles youll notice gains in are the arms( triceps and biceps), CAlf ( small but impressive muscle) and just overall core thickness.

If you can do the no gym required test in the exercise section and pm me your time or post here. And getting bored of your workout wont happen if you know enough varations!

Guest Luftwaffe

I was/am in the same boat as you. 17, 6'2" and between 135-140lbs depending on the day. There's a required weight minimum for a person's height when enlisting, and for me that's somewhere around 145-150lbs. I'm glad I'm 10 pounds under instead of 10 pounds over, though.

Anyways, over the summer I did some P90X stuff with my uncle. We didn't have the program itself on DVD, so we followed videos on YouTube. My arms grew about an inch in about a month, and my muscles were more noticeable. My stomach was also more clearly cut. I'd say check out P90X and just try their upper body workouts. They DO work.

try being 29 and 5'9'' and 135lbs is the most ive ever weighed in my life with clothes on

im skinny. I dunno if youre like me but I cant gain weight no matter how hard I try

you need high protein with carbs and fats

im drinking carnation instant breakfast mixes. they advertise two times the protein of an egg among other things like vitamins and minerals

you wanna eat things like meat, eggs, peanuts and peanutbutter

I have nothing heavy to lift where ive been at lately so what im doing is pushups and throwing a towel over top a door and doing pull ups with my biceps and triceps. I can tell what muscles are being worked because they hurt. pretty much my chest and the top half of my abs along with all the muscles in my arms and shoulders

ive been at all this as much as I physically can all day and night every day for two weeks so far. I go and do ten pull ups ten pushups and some different reps with my svd til it feels like its too heavy to hold. then take a rest and do it all again a little bit later

this has been going on for two weeks now and im seeing next to no results. like ok my triceps may be a tiny bit bigger

I have a feeling no matter what I do or how much I do it I wont get any results because back when I was in highschool I lifted weights for a whole summer and then joined the weight lifting club the following school year and never got anything out of it period

I skated and biked really hard core for a spring, summer, and fall a few years ago and I swear thats the only time in my life that ive ever seen my muscles grow although it was still pathetically minute. it was more like gaining muscle tone and definition. probly the best shape ive ever been in, but then I lost it all over the winter. maybe my body is just supposed to be skinny. like a fat person trying a new diet and losing weight but then gaining it all back as soon as theyre off it. or maybe like a rubber band. you can stretch it but it always goes back to the way its supposed to be

Edited by Dusti69

My fight weight back in 1997-1999 was 160. I only weighed about 155, and I only stand 5' 7". Right now I weigh in between 190-195 lbs and my bodyfat percentage stays around the 10% mark. The heaviest I've been was 215, with about 15% bodyfat.

The key is too lift heavy. However you have to do that progressively! Don't jump on the bench press and try to work with 300 lbs! Heavy is relative and you have to work with what's heavy for you. Rep schemes should stay between 6 and 8. Never settle for a lesser weight than you did during the last workout!

The most important thing is consistency! Too many people want the quick fix, or to depend on supplements. Be patient, use good technique, and keep going even if you don't think you're getting bigger, stronger, or better!

Check out Skip LaCours website as well! Skip has been the top amateur bodybuilder for over 10 years. He's actually refused his IFBB card 3 or 4 times.

http://www.skiplacour.com/

I wish I had all y'alls problems. I'm 22 6'4'' and sitting at 275 right now. I got up to 290 but it was fat. I've lost weight being a broke college kid. I can't afford to buy fast food anymore. but because of not eating junk food or sodas I have lost 15 pounds in 2 months doing nothing.

Just remember manicured muscle is better then lots of muscle.

Thanks for all the input. Lonewolf I think I sent you a PM, did you get it? It didn't show up in my outbox...

Anyway I might as well say it here, what kind of routines should I be doing? The main things I want are upper arms, pecs, abs and I'll add calves to the list but I do run so those might just come by themselves.

I did the Fitness Test that lonewolf made, and I could do 50 crunches, 50 squats and 25 jumping jacks no problem, but I can't really do 50 pushups in any short amount of time. What type of pushup anyway? Because my chest doesn't hit the ground unless I pretty much lay down flat haha.

And Satallite if by manicured muscle you mean lean looking instead of huge hulking masses, that's exactly what I'm going, for so if anybody has suggestions, perhaps keep that in mind if it makes a difference.

Edited by IHazLPEG

You DO NOT want to lift heavy.

More reps, less weight.

Do push-ups, pull-ups, and chin-ups, of all different variations and you'll be golden. No need for the fancy workout machines or anything else. The most "high tech" thing that you'll need might be a resistance band or a pair of dumb bells.

Everyone thinks P90 is magic, but in all reality, it's all body resistance: different variations of push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

They have it sorted out in a way that will create a stimulus one day, and then recovery the next, yet the recovery day isn't laying on your couch and chilling out, it's something easier that will loosen you up for the next day and keep your body in the fat burning/muscle building mode.

I'd have to say that protein whey or other supplements are 90% mental. Because you take them, you might have your mind set that you can work harder or something and put out more when you workout. I take protein whey and even though I believe that it's just mental, it still affects my thinking when working out.

One more thing. It won't help you really gain muscle and mass, it'll probably burn more fat than gain muscle, but running is the best workout if you want to get in overall better shape.

It's tough mentally and physically and you feel like a boss when you run by a hot chick.

I'm a runner, so I have a similar issue. My main advice for getting stronger without having giant, hideous muscles is more with less. That is, do more reps with less weight. For cross-country, our workouts include a core workout, which really help with abs and pecs. We usually do about 4 sets of 20 pushups (different styles, I.e. diamonds, one-legged, frogs, etc.), and 4 sets of situp variations (bicycles, jack-knives, crucifiers, etc.). These are great for getting solid abs and decent pecs, too. For your arms, I would recommend a pull-up bar. Do as many pull-ups as you can, rest, do as many as you can, rest, until you can't do anymore. You can do chin-ups for your biceps as well. The main thing to avoid beefy muscles while building strength is to avoid the power exercises. Just remember that a lot of reps will help a ton. More reps with less weight!

Edit: PM me if you want to know more about each of the exercises above, different people probably have different names for each one).

Edited by ch1ma3ra

BOOM! 120lbs at 5'11" and 18 years old. I've been this weight for about 4 years now.

Actually, I guess that means I lose....... :C

Edited by Automobilie

Lionhard64.... I don't agree with your statement entirely. Multiple reps increase endurance, not muscle. True, it does build muscle, but not as fast. It "adjusts" your body to the work load you are doing then re adjusts when you increase weight. it is a personal preference. You want a lot of reps with body weight exercises such as situps, pushups, pull-ups, chin ups, ect.

To build Muscle, you tear muscle(that's what you do when you work out-don't believe me? LOOK IT UP). Lifting heavier weights is what you want. about 3 sets of ten each. You should just be able to do ten with the weight you'll need(so for example, if you can just do 10 reps of 60 pounds, stop at ten and repeat in 10-30 seconds). Also, my personal preference is to get my main muscle groups in shape. Normally, these exercises will help build supporting muscle groups at the same time. (such as biceps triceps ect.)

as for abs? I just do an insane amount of crunches, obliques, situps ect.

also, you can't cheat on working out. I agree with lionhard on this one. It's a commitment that you are going to have to keep for an amount of time. but once your done. you won't be sorry when s hot chick runs into you.

check out http://www.crossfit.com/ it's a great site

Edited by SilentStrike

With building muscle the key like mentioned before is tearing and pumping blood into the muscle, if you don't do this it wont grow. You need to do atleast 8 reps with good form or drop the weight. As for what muscles to train when theres many splits , I like

Chest Triceps Shoulders- Basic pushing muscles

Back Biceps Legs(hamstrings , glutes , quads, callves ect...) Basic pulling muscles plus legs

This routine works for me but you may prefer others , find a popular one you like. Also rest periods can very from none to 3minutes. 90 seconds is my favorite becuaue I aim for heavy weight every set and need that time to move it. The less time you have to rest you have the more it involves Cardio and is better for conditioning. The more you have ( a maximum of around 3 minutes) the more your focusing on strength.

There are 1000s of successful methods and combos of these basic variables( Rest, Reps,Sets) and It depends on your overall goal. With Pure Muscle building you need a combination of heavy weight at 8+ reps with 60 + seconds of rest to ensure you can recover enough to move enough weight to start stimulating the muscle again.

I'm a runner

PR's?

Lionhard64.... I don't agree with your statement entirely. Multiple reps increase endurance, not muscle. True, it does build muscle, but not as fast. It "adjusts" your body to the work load you are doing then re adjusts when you increase weight. it is a personal preference. You want a lot of reps with body weight exercises such as situps, pushups, pull-ups, chin ups, ect.

To build Muscle, you tear muscle(that's what you do when you work out-don't believe me? LOOK IT UP). Lifting heavier weights is what you want. about 3 sets of ten each. You should just be able to do ten with the weight you'll need(so for example, if you can just do 10 reps of 60 pounds, stop at ten and repeat in 10-30 seconds). Also, my personal preference is to get my main muscle groups in shape. Normally, these exercises will help build supporting muscle groups at the same time. (such as biceps triceps ect.)

as for abs? I just do an insane amount of crunches, obliques, situps ect.

also, you can't cheat on working out. I agree with lionhard on this one. It's a commitment that you are going to have to keep for an amount of time. but once your done. you won't be sorry when s hot chick runs into you.

check out http://www.crossfit.com/ it's a great site

I agree with what you're saying. However, these guys aren't body builders, and I thought that more reps with less weight would simply tone their muscle and get them ready for heavier weights. Heavier weights build muscle much faster, but the risk for injury is also increased if you're not in proper physical shape to lift heavy things.

If I were you guys that are looking for advice, I'd do body resistant things or more reps with less weight and see how it goes.

If you start to notice a slight gain or toning in muscle and maybe some increase in endurance, then I would start going a bit heavier with the weights until you begin really building the muscle.

This isn't a week long process though. Toning took me like a year, and ever since then, I've been gaining muscle.

As a side note, you can lose muscle pretty fast. In my 8th grade winter, spring, and summer, all I did was go to my school's field house and lift with the football players. I became pretty muscular for my age, and recall "MAXing" out at a 165lb bench press. Since high school started, all I do is run. I never really have much time to work solely on upper body, and because of this, I lost a lot of my muscle mass in my arms and pecs. I'm overall in much better shape now, but my muscles aren't as big. This past summer, I benched for fun at the field house and could barely get a 145lb bench press up.

So, just keep working on your muscles even when you're off, as it will pay off and keep your muscles growing at a constant rate.

What you want is exactly what I try for as well. Abs pecs and bicpes. Pushups and crunches (crunches NOT situps. situps work your hip muscles believe it or not) is all I have been doing, and getting results trust me. If you want to take it a step further, curl as well. Maybe I just don't have enough experience with pullups but they never show results for me.

2 things that I cannot stress enough. 1. You have to want it. Not just stay with it. but you have to WANT it. You have to be able to come home from school and be like "I want to work out to get bigger and get b****hes". This attitude helps you to push yourself past the number you had in your head when you got down on the floor. Ex: I do 50 situps in one set. Today I kept working myself and telling myself "Cmon 10 more" and I made it to 130 before I had to stop. Plus this attitude will help you keep with it everyday. Trust me it will kick in sometime that your tired of being small and it will work for you.

The second thing I cannot stress enough is this: Perfect form. 10 perfect form pushups do more than 100 "grunt pushups" where you suddenly force yourself up with tremendous energy. In other words you should never stop in the middle of your workout sets and you should be going the same speed all the time. smoooooth. consistent. When you can no longer do any more perfectly, time to stop. But push yourself. You should be feeling the burn, and going PAST it. THATS what builds muscle. don't be mad if you can only do 10 or so like this to start with, I could only do like 12. This rule goes with any workout, situps including.

With these tips you will gain the muscle you want. Remember. Push yourself, don't forget to increase the amount you do overall, and in each set every week or two, when you feel you are ready, when you stop feeling the burn.

This is all without equipment though, a gym is ALWAYS prefered... sadly I do not have acces to one, so I must make do.. anywhoooo. gym equipment these rules still apply but the general thing in a gym is 3 sets of 10 reps. Instead of increasing the amount of reps, you increase the weight.

Edited by hmg9194

A discussion popped up over on another forum and for some fairly easy routines people were suggesting 30-50 pushups a day and 100 situps, etc, with running etc. I think I'll start with something like this, and add chin-ups off and on. I always rock back and forth when I do chin-ups haha, but I'll work on form once I start doing them.

So probably something like 30-50 pushups, 100 situps, a dozen chin-ups every other day? (or every day once I get better at them)

Or should I make this one circuit and then repeat the whole thing once or twice a day?

A discussion popped up over on another forum and for some fairly easy routines people were suggesting 30-50 pushups a day and 100 situps, etc, with running etc. I think I'll start with something like this, and add chin-ups off and on. I always rock back and forth when I do chin-ups haha, but I'll work on form once I start doing them.

So probably something like 30-50 pushups, 100 situps, a dozen chin-ups every other day? (or every day once I get better at them)

Or should I make this one circuit and then repeat the whole thing once or twice a day?

don't run. Its pointless and it will make you not want to do anything. Your already skinny why make yourself more skinny? I do my workouts in a circuit (pushups, crunches, curls) with no breaks in between. I suggest you do the same. And you have to do them all at one time don't do a set then 5 minute break. This will cut down on effectiveness. And to start, do it every other day but work your way up to everyday.

To be honest I only go on runs twice a week with my dog since its parts of a chore list that my dad made lol. But he's a long haired fatty (my dog, lol), and given the heat I've been walking him lately, perhaps I'll just leave it to walks only.

I think I'll add in some weights to this, so here's what I'm thinking now:

I'll see how many pushups I can do with good form and pace, and start with that

Crunches I can do very easily, still I'll see how many and make a baseline

Chin-ups, possibly

Curls, 10-15 lbs

Wrist curls

?

I'm 5'9 and 120ish pounds 14 years old lol. You would be amazed how much easier working out and pushing your self is if you do it with a friend or group of people at our school you can replace one of you elective with weight trianing. I'm a runner and want to get more uper body strength for the 800m next year.

If lionhardt wants to know PRS here you go:

Only 5000 I've done was. Fun run thing in 90 degree weather got 19:50 I've been injured for most of xc season but should be in high 17s when I get back.

Yes I know my 3k sucks lol

For school track:

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athl...AID=2595643#tT0

For USATF track:

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athl...spx?AID=1903675

Sorry for being off topic

To be honest I only go on runs twice a week with my dog since its parts of a chore list that my dad made lol. But he's a long haired fatty (my dog, lol), and given the heat I've been walking him lately, perhaps I'll just leave it to walks only.

I think I'll add in some weights to this, so here's what I'm thinking now:

I'll see how many pushups I can do with good form and pace, and start with that

Crunches I can do very easily, still I'll see how many and make a baseline

Chin-ups, possibly

Curls, 10-15 lbs

Wrist curls

?

Like I said, everything past pushups and crunches is extra in my opinion, read my other message I sent you and tell me what you think. Nobody said extra is bad, But it often discourages you to want to start at all.

don't run. Its pointless and it will make you not want to do anything. Your already skinny why make yourself more skinny? I do my workouts in a circuit (pushups, crunches, curls) with no breaks in between. I suggest you do the same. And you have to do them all at one time don't do a set then 5 minute break. This will cut down on effectiveness. And to start, do it every other day but work your way up to everyday.

Why not? Running builds mental toughness and gets you in crazy good shape. Plus, running doesn't mean you are automatically going to stay skinny forever. If he tries the various workouts mentioned and works hard, he can still build muscle while running. To OP, just make sure you eat a lot if you run. If you don't eat enough while running and doing workouts, you will absolutely stay skinny.

<AT>lionhardt64: This is my first official year of both cross-country (middle of the season right now) and track (end of last school year). My PR's are 17:54 for a 3-mile and 5:38 for the mile. How about you?

Doing 50 pushups a day and low volume bodyweight will get you results , but if you want to do a bare ordinary program you will get ordinary results. Ill pm you and we can work something personal out for you.

lingling, nice PR's man. I was looking at those sites, and those are some pretty good times for an 8th grader.

It seems like your a middle-distance runner like me. The 800 is by far the toughest race IMO. Keep working hard and you'll be the guy to beat come around track season.

I'm assuming that you're a freshman now and those were times from the past spring, correct?

Chimera, those are also nice times, especially the 3 mile. If you convert that into a 5K, it should be somewhere around an 18:20-18:30 depending on your kick.

My PR's as a freshman in track were:

Mile- 4:52

800- 2:07

5K- 18:35 (As my first sophomore XC race.)

Not really into the 5K or mile as I am into the 800. I just love the race- it's the perfect balance of speed and endurance, and boy, does it hurt when you're winging around that 700 meter mark and you go all out. Can't wait for this track season, really hoping to break 2 in the 800 this year.

I'm in the same boat as Dusti. I'm 18, 5'11, and 120-130 pounds and have been since I was a freshman....

rofl. im still keeping up with the high protein and vitamins and crap ....all the pushups and reps ....still a few weeks later

and not one single tiny bit of improvement ....at all ....period ...whatsoever

infact I know im not gaining any muscle at all because muscle weighs more than fat and I have 0% body fat (measured with that pliars clamp thing)

and I actually weigh over ten pounds less than before I started

im wondering why im even bothering

Edited by Dusti69

&lt;AT&gt; lionhardt yes all those times were from early last summer, I'm a freshmen now. We have an meet this Saturday and I'm feeling a bit more "recovered" so ill update yall with that. did you run that 800m as a freshmen our school record is 1:56 I hope to break that and go under 4:00 for my 1500m in my four years of highschool the hs record is 4:04 for 1500 I'M COMMING FOR THAT RECORD lol.

ON TOPIC today as a work out in xc we did a circuit where you run a 800m course then come into the weight room and do

15 push UPS

15crunchs

15 things where you lift a 30 pd weight over your head

15 calf raisers (not necessary for you , you can replace it)

15tricepe dips

Then we run in place for 1 minute with 10pd weights ( you can replace it)

That's one set you go run 800m do all that again and its two sets I did 7 sets then some 200s so you could probably do more sets. the key to that is speed in-between the lifting you literally run from station to station.

rofl. im still keeping up with the high protein and vitamins and crap ....all the pushups and reps ....still a few weeks later

and not one single tiny bit of improvement ....at all ....period ...whatsoever

infact I know im not gaining any muscle at all because muscle weighs more than fat and I have 0% body fat (measured with that pliars clamp thing)

and I actually weigh over ten pounds less than before I started

im wondering why im even bothering

Sorry bro you measured wrong with the "calipers" . You need 3-4% body fat as a male to live.

There's no way that you have 0% body fat.

Sorry bro you measured wrong with the "calipers" . You need 3-4% body fat as a male to live.

then maybe the guy who measured it was just an idiot. like people at walmart working in the electronics section who know nothing about electronics and sell you a 512mb zen nano for the price of a 1gb zen nano

he did it on the back of my arm and I have so little of anything that it really hurt like somebody pinching me and holding on

Im 19 5'6 140lbs but I can bench press at least 270lbs. Ive been lifting my entire life on and off supplements. One thing your missing is that you don't want to have a set amount of reps for each set. each set should be until failure or until you cant possibly do another rep.

I.e for my bench press I do 225 for 3 sets and each set I do until I fail. *use your spotter thats what hes there for*

last time I had my body fat checked I was 7% body fat and that was months ago and iv lost weight since then. As far as supplements go I don't really think its mental thing because with the supplements im taking now I can litereally feel a difference. I work 12 hours a day at least 5 days a week and I work out almost right after so I need a little something to help me thru my workouts. without the workouts im lazy and sluggish.

And another thing I only work out one body group a day. I.e chest- monday biceps- tuesday triceps -Wednesday back- thursday and shoulders -friday. I don't do legs because im lazy =]. and I do abs every other day.

Your best bet is to do rotations of 2 different work out programs every 2 months to shock your body. otherwise your body will get used to your workout program and you'll plateau.

Im 19 5'6 140lbs but I can bench press at least 270lbs. Ive been lifting my entire life on and off supplements. One thing your missing is that you don't want to have a set amount of reps for each set. each set should be until failure or until you cant possibly do another rep.

I.e for my bench press I do 225 for 3 sets and each set I do until I fail. *use your spotter thats what hes there for*

last time I had my body fat checked I was 7% body fat and that was months ago and iv lost weight since then. As far as supplements go I don't really think its mental thing because with the supplements im taking now I can litereally feel a difference. I work 12 hours a day at least 5 days a week and I work out almost right after so I need a little something to help me thru my workouts. without the workouts im lazy and sluggish.

And another thing I only work out one body group a day. I.e chest- monday biceps- tuesday triceps -Wednesday back- thursday and shoulders -friday. I don't do legs because im lazy =]. and I do abs every other day.

Your best bet is to do rotations of 2 different work out programs every 2 months to shock your body. otherwise your body will get used to your workout program and you'll plateau.

This along with most of the other BS in this post shouldn't be listened to... I have a degree in Exercise Science and work as a trainer for fighters, power athletes, and contact sport athletes.

The main staple of your program could very easily begin as a 5x5 routine. NEVER TO FAILURE.. Lifting lower weights for higher reps will build muscular endurance with lightweight, giving you no benefit at all. 5 sets of 5 reps per set will do you just fine. Bodybuilders use a routine for purely adding mass of 7-12 reps, but why add mass if it doesn't work?

Adding mass via strength training is the best way. Also if you don't do the 3 core lifts, nothing will work up to potential. Squats, deadlifts, and bench press are the 3 core lifts. Doing them with heavy weight will promote hypertrophy. Your body recognizes that more and more dense muscle fibers will recruit the strength necessary to adapt, without this effect, you will not grow. This also becomes a shock to your nervous system, and after a while it will be capable of recruiting neuromuscular synapses firing in time and on time, allowing you to push/pull harder which = more weight. So, lift heavy, otherwise your body will adapt quickly, and it won't help you.

Change your program every 3-5 weeks.. working out 4 days a week will more than suffice for the first 4 months. I'd do something like.. Mon-deadlift, tues-rest, wed-bench, thurs-rest, fri-squat, sat-rest, sun-pull-ups(can be switched with lat pull-downs, push-ups, sit-ups).

Eat.. Not junk, but food. All of it.. Not just protein. Carbs, fats, protein. Get your vegetables, eat yogurt and cottage chese for the added protein and probiotics.

So, in review.. Lift heavy, 5x5 will do you wonders. NEVER TRAIN TO FAILURE. That is all a myth and if your body doesn't have high enough lactic threshold and you aren't able to workout the next day with your newly ridiculous DOMS(Delayed Onset Muscle Sorness) then it won't do anything but hurt you. Eat good food and lots of it.

This coming from a hard gainer by the way. 6'3" 165lbs 6% BF.. Deadlift 1RM 345lbs, Bench Press 1RM 185lbs, Squat 265lbs(not in a long time, have had a re-occurring knee injury.). Oh also, certified kettlebell instructor, and martial arts instructor.

I guess I'll update this.

In the past week or two I've started doing pushups every day at different times. Some days if I play MW2 I do either 20, 25, or 30 pushups between most games. Otherwise I just do them at random times from around 4 to 10 pm. Added up I often do over 100 every day, but either way I try for at least 100 per day. And then I do 6 dead lift chin ups right before I go to bed, more later if I can't sleep. I'll increase this number when the last one is as easy as the second to last one. To be honest I am not getting a lot of protein, but I think tomorrow I will ask if my parents can start buying some protein drinks, which I may or may not pay for. They like that I'm doing this so its a possibility.

My main reason for updating is to ask which type of pushups is best/should I be doing. Right now I do ones with my hands pretty much directly below my shoulders, thumbs a couple inches apart. I hear that this is mainly for arms and chest, and the farther out you space your hands works your shoulders and back more. I would prefer to build up my chest first, so is this the best type then?

Another thing, and be bleak if its the truth, to what extent and how soon should I expect results? I notice that my arms look more muscular, but I assume thats "pump".

Thanks

I guess I'll update this.

In the past week or two I've started doing pushups every day at different times. Some days if I play MW2 I do either 20, 25, or 30 pushups between most games. Otherwise I just do them at random times from around 4 to 10 pm. Added up I often do over 100 every day, but either way I try for at least 100 per day. And then I do 6 dead lift chin ups right before I go to bed, more later if I can't sleep. I'll increase this number when the last one is as easy as the second to last one. To be honest I am not getting a lot of protein, but I think tomorrow I will ask if my parents can start buying some protein drinks, which I may or may not pay for. They like that I'm doing this so its a possibility.

My main reason for updating is to ask which type of pushups is best/should I be doing. Right now I do ones with my hands pretty much directly below my shoulders, thumbs a couple inches apart. I hear that this is mainly for arms and chest, and the farther out you space your hands works your shoulders and back more. I would prefer to build up my chest first, so is this the best type then?

Another thing, and be bleak if its the truth, to what extent and how soon should I expect results? I notice that my arms look more muscular, but I assume thats "pump".

Thanks

It only took a week for my to show noticeable results, to me anyway.. you will get there eventually! when you get to like 30 set pushups you will find it is very tiring and they feel useless. then switch your hand location to down at your side. Here is a video.

they won't feel like your doing much use, but they are very hard to do (it's weird) and DO yield results with less reps, which is nice. I am up to being able to do 20 a set.

I'm in the same boat. I still haven't gained any weight, and I've been working out on and off for 2 years now.

The best I can do is tone out. It's ok, I think its just my crazy high metabolism. I'm still trying, but I really think that I just need to wait for my metabolism to slow down (I'm the kind of person who gets hungry 2 hours after a meal).

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't work out. You'll still be able to get some nice hard muscles and some definition, even if they're not bulky. And that's better than nothing.

And because our bodies are built light, might as well make the most of it. Running does help! But don't run the same day you lift, that's just counter productive. Lift MWF, run TRS. You'll feel definition in your legs, and you'll feel a lot better. I used to just lift only, and I still felt like crap. Now that I run, I feel way healthier as a person, even if my muscles aren't big.

And eat!! If you're like me, the reason why we stay skinny is because our body is using up all our stores as soon as we can. Eating 3 meals a day is not for people like us. You were born with your body's furnace set to high, so keep fueling it.

I'm in the same boat. I still haven't gained any weight, and I've been working out on and off for 2 years now.

The best I can do is tone out. It's ok, I think its just my crazy high metabolism. I'm still trying, but I really think that I just need to wait for my metabolism to slow down (I'm the kind of person who gets hungry 2 hours after a meal).

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't work out. You'll still be able to get some nice hard muscles and some definition, even if they're not bulky. And that's better than nothing.

And because our bodies are built light, might as well make the most of it. Running does help! But don't run the same day you lift, that's just counter productive. Lift MWF, run TRS. You'll feel definition in your legs, and you'll feel a lot better. I used to just lift only, and I still felt like crap. Now that I run, I feel way healthier as a person, even if my muscles aren't big.

And eat!! If you're like me, the reason why we stay skinny is because our body is using up all our stores as soon as we can. Eating 3 meals a day is not for people like us. You were born with your body's furnace set to high, so keep fueling it.

For you, eat a :pain: ton, and for everyone, you have to stay with it. "Off and On" doesn't help.

Edited by hmg9194

For you, eat a :pain: ton, and for everyone, you have to stay with it. "Off and On" doesn't help.

Well, off and on for me was basically on for 3 months, off for 3 months, on again for 3 months. Basically, I kept on trying until I got tired of the lack of results.

I do need to eat a :pain: ton, though.

Edited by CiTRxJ

I started doing this since the end of last summer. I just said to myself "hmmm, I think it'd be pretty cool to have deh muscles"

so then I did

50 sit ups

50 push ups (or as many as I could do in one sitting [with good form])

100 arm circles (all I had were 20s and 30s, and I was to weak to use them at first) I later replaced this with 12 arm lifts with 20s and maybe 8-13 push press same weight (I just want to end on even #)

12 or 20 or 25 or 30 curls (I'd get lazy) started doing this with 20s too, now use 30s to get to 12, lil' break, then get to 25 or 20, if I want to go to 30, I use 20s after initial 12

50 forearm curls with 30s (I don't always do these)

100 arm circles (or 12 arm lifts with 20s once I could)

50 sit ups

50 pushups

almost everyday before going to bed, the soreness stops from repeated workout of the same muscles over a long period of time (assuming you're not trying to kill yourself each time you do it)

good job on the random pushups throughout the day. hands closer= more triceps, just to prove this, do a diamond push up or a pushup with your elbows against your side, further away= more chest, though it still works triceps and shoulders a bit, I do regular pushups, I also keep my head up to work the muscles around my neck.

best pic of it 'regular' pushup could find

Smith_082405-1.jpg

I'm 5'11 and 3/4" 160 pounds, I'm not a huge monster size wise, though, for my build (most would look at me and assume I'm skinny/normal) I'd say I'm prwww.airsoftforum.comly, I look the same as before with a shirt on. This is about 8 months later, but I'd say I started getting somewhere in maybe 5-6 months.

Edited by Dogs

I've been in those shoes before. Here is how I started:6.0ft &lt;AT&gt; 17 I weighted 130lb, started to work out 4-5 times a week for about 1 hour, chest + triceps one day, back + shoulders, and legs + biceps. Low reps and a spotter is a must for some exercises. Within 4 weeks I gained about 17lbs. I was eating about 250g of protein daily meals and shakes (nitrotech). Calorie intake in the 5000 range. I also took cell-tech by muscletech for 8 weeks to give me a strength boost ( worked for me, may not work for others) . My bench press went from 145 max to 245 in 12 weeks or so. Within 3 months I was at 170lbs, 5% body fat. The key is to understand your body, in my case my metabolism is very fast and if I skip a meal I loose weight, so if your metabolism is fast, eat and don't skip meals or you WILL loose muscle mass. Stick to a workout plan and find a friend to jump in with you to help you stay motivated. Motivation is the biggest thing... and if the summer beach trips are in your mind full of pretty girls looking at you, work those abs out as often as you can!

If you want to get big... A good friend of mine became a bodybuilder in 1 and a half years going from 160lb to 255 13% body fat. He got second place in the Knoxville classic competition after leaning down to 215lb. He was skinny his metabolism was fast and from day one he was fully motivated. He worked out 5-6 times a week (really specific workout plans, bodybuilding.com is full of info on that) and if he wasnt sore the next day he would get pissed! He ate like a mule though... He took protein shakes all day and ate turkey and ricotta cheese for lunch almost every day! So, that is just to tell you that your body will adapt to whatever situation you may put it through.

When I started a workout regimen, I was 5'3' and 110 pounds. After 4 months or so, I weigh 120 pounds and am much more fit. Here is my regimen.

one set of 300 sit-ups

2 sets 100 crunches

2 sets of 100 10 pound curls

2 sets of as many pushups that I can do

grip machine"this has done wonders with my grip and forearm size, I can grip over my body weight."

100 30 pound squats

1,000 one pound punches

100 5 pound punches

100 10 pound punches "these work upper arm, forearms, shoulder, elbow tendon, and neck braces."

Do some running

Jump rope, and take in alot of calories, but healthy calories, no Mcdonald's or anything like that. It takes months to see major results, so be pacient.

If you want to add muscle mass without adding a bunch of fat, you need to eat clean and get a lot of protein - that is where protein shakes are useful. They are not all mental - you have to have specific amino acids to build muscle. You also have to have a higher caloric intake. You need a mixture of resistance training and cardio training to effectively build muscle while staying lean.

If you want serious workout advice, I strongly suggest that you start reading bodybuilding forums as they have the science down and have crafted muscle building into an art. Most are not limited to just bulking and have subsections for specific workouts and enhancing different types of performance (like MMA workouts, workouts for triathletes, etc.) Look for threads related to natural muscle building and proper nutrition. Otherwise, you will likely come across threads recommending routines that contemplate taking different anabolic steroids, growth hormone and a number of different performance enhancing peptides like IGF-1, MGF, etc. (umm...yeah, bodybuilders & most professional athletes use those - don't believe otherwise) which is nothing you should consider at 17, 18 or even 23 unless you have unusually low free testosterone levels or you have abnormally low levels of hGH by clinical standards (blood test required to determine).