Sign in to follow this  
Hemp420

Airsoft sniper tactics.

So my friends are starting to get better with there AEGs and we are getting more players with aegs. Thus making my role as the sniper harder... I think last weekend I got only ONE kill with my pistol out of 6-7 games. When you guys are sniping what methods do you prefer? We play on my friends moms property. There are some pathways, really dense woods, not so dense woods, a stretch of open land with small cover and a old :censored2: barn two story.

I usually stick to the barn and the surrounding area but its hard to get a shot through the dense woods. Would I be better with my ghillie on closer to them (lets say in a defense game) or what? Sniping is hard but fun :/

The barn would be a stereotypical place for a sniper, so people will avoid it naturally. I would find an area overlooking the open grass area in my ghillie. If you use the barn a lot they will suspect you in the barn and will stay away from it and go to the dense wood and open grass area more. any more info on your area would be awesome!

hope my advice helps.

Capture-3.jpg

Thanks! Yah there is a pretty bomb spot in the barn looking towards the lake/trails but its toooo easy to get pinned down up there. I like your thinking about the grass part although that is pretty much the actual yard grass section with the tree line towards the top. Some good woods to hide in though coming towards it.

Also there is so much random scrap on the property its crazy. Pretty much were I labeled scrap and barrels there are a bunch of random piles of pipes, window pains, piles of telephone wire, and trash cans and stuff.

Edited by Hemp420

Thats looks like a pretty small field, it seems like sniping would be difficult there.

But on topic, I agree with what others have said about sticking with team mates. I usually do that at least. Providing cover fire and taking out long distance targets while your team engages is usually the most helpful thing in my opinion.

Otherwise you are just "camping" Nothing wrong with that though. Just less hands on and not as helpful in my view.

I wasn't kidding about the teammate following bit. the point of that would be to 'snipe' the person who is targeting your teammate. at the very least you should be able to avenge your teammate. I'd rather go down with one 'kill' than with no 'kills'

I was refereeing to the BACKYARD AIRSOFT haha, but yah I might give that a go tomorrow. Thanks yall.

the BEST tactic you can employ in this situation is to be the "eye" of your teammates. being a sniper is not all about kills. if you want to rack up as much kills as the other grunts who wield AEGs, swith roles. the essence of being a sniper is recon. stealth. its seeing without being seen. thats the mystique of the sniper. use it to your advantage.

be sure to wear protective gears when playing to avoid disasters where you play. Goodluck and happy hunting!

Edited by S n a k e™

I was actually thinking about posting something about tactics as a new thread, but when I got on, this topic was here

so on the topic of tactics, I was wondering today, what would you do if you were in ghillie, and a team of 5 guys are walking right towards you, and don't know you are there yet, but WILL see you if they get too close?

thinking about this made me come up with the idea of a smoke grenade holder right on my hip, my smoke grenades work very well, but I would need one where I can get to it quickly

So my friends are starting to get better with there AEGs and we are getting more players with aegs. Thus making my role as the sniper harder... I think last weekend I got only ONE kill with my pistol out of 6-7 games. When you guys are sniping what methods do you prefer? We play on my friends moms property. There are some pathways, really dense woods, not so dense woods, a stretch of open land with small cover and a old :censored2: barn two story.

I usually stick to the barn and the surrounding area but its hard to get a shot through the dense woods. Would I be better with my ghillie on closer to them (lets say in a defense game) or what? Sniping is hard but fun :/

Did you just imply that you are sniping with a pistol?

I was actually thinking about posting something about tactics as a new thread, but when I got on, this topic was here

so on the topic of tactics, I was wondering today, what would you do if you were in ghillie, and a team of 5 guys are walking right towards you, and don't know you are there yet, but WILL see you if they get too close?

thinking about this made me come up with the idea of a smoke grenade holder right on my hip, my smoke grenades work very well, but I would need one where I can get to it quickly

Well if they WILL see you then you need a better ghillie suit :p or a better spot..

You should be able to spot them early enough to engage effectively. A sniper in a ghillie suit will still be able to remain hidden relatively well after taking a shot, assuming they don't spot you or hear you.

A smoke grenade is iffy, as you would have to throw it quite a distance. If you throw it right infront of you they'll spray in to that cloud and definitely snag you at some point.

Agreed. You should be able to pick one off way before they get to you. Generally if you make a shot on an enemy and hit them the others won't know where you are which causes them to take the closest cover and shoot randomly and as they do you can keep picking them off. I know some people don't like having a spotter around (I know I don't) but if something like that happens often then one option is to get a new ghillie, or have a spotter. In airsoft thats pretty much the only use of a spotter, which should help to slow the enemy down while you retreat and you can just give eachother cover as you retreat. (the leap frog tactic)

yeah I am deffinately a lone wolf kinda guy, and I would really never get into that position

I can't wait to get a ghillie suit, as long as they don't see me shoot, I'll be invisible

a few weeks ago in an airsoft match at my friend's house, I shot someone next to a grassy opening/clearing near the house, he was in, while he talked casually to out-ed players, there was no noise, just a thud on his chest, he'as a funny guy and just frowned and looked down at the ground, everyone was laughing and apperantly (I was told after) they yelled into the totally wrong direction of woods "nice shot Miles, lol"

it was a good time telling them I was to the south-west when they thought I was east, lol

that's honestly the only reason I got a gas gun, to make a silencer, I love it so much, lol

Any suggestions on what to use to make one? I know pvc but what'd you use to put it all together. That is why I like my Kjw, because it is gas and a silencer will actually muffle the noise. I'm going to get a ghillie about 2 weeks before halloween because of the fact that every year that I've lived in colorado (all my life) there hasn't been a single halloween without snow. Should be a fun winter season. This is usually the time that my team gets really active in the sport.

well this was my earlier version, slides onto the barrel:

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/y...suppressor1.jpg

it explains the internal stuff that's mostly the same on my new silencer

this is how my new one screws on:

003-2.jpg

do-it center PVC pipe atatchments :a-thumbsup:

I'll make a little drawing of my new one in a bit

here is how my new one works, it's been flawless and is sealed with loctite epoxy (the only thing is that it doesn't look professional, but some like it, some don't)

the problem with silencers is the cotton getting in the way of the BB, I used chicken wire and some mesh to stop it from happening, while the chicken wires serves as stability for the "inner barrel" of the silencer

silencerv2.jpg

I stopped using cotton on my home-made silencers. I have replaced them with dense foam. works way better than cottons.

on the topic of tactics, I hope I wont come across as arrogant or a mr.know-it-all, but sniping and/or being a sniper is not all about kills. its not about long range head shots. for me atleast, being a sniper is about recon, relaying intel to your team mates and only shooting when the situation calls for it. thats when you become deadly. feared and a very sought-after member of the team. the power to spot others before they spot you. our rifle are just tools. it iss not what makes the sniper. its still his fieldcraft and skills thats important.

on ghillie, wearing one will not make any of us airsoft snipers invisible. it will just help us blend in more with the area thus making us "hard to spot". not really invisible.

just like what I placed on my sig, its the sniper's skill thats deadly. anybody can wield a sniper rifle. anybody can wear ghillie. anybody can hit opfors 300ft out (well, not really all). in the end, it all boils down to the snipers fieldcraft and skills. thats what makes an effective sniper.

just my 2 bbs on the topic of tactics. hope I did'nt offend anyone. Happy Hunting! :a-salute:

I stopped using cotton on my home-made silencers. I have replaced them with dense foam. works way better than cottons.

on the topic of tactics, I hope I wont come across as arrogant or a mr.know-it-all, but sniping and/or being a sniper is not all about kills. its not about long range head shots. for me atleast, being a sniper is about recon, relaying intel to your team mates and only shooting when the situation calls for it. thats when you become deadly. feared and a very sought-after member of the team. the power to spot others before they spot you. our rifle are just tools. it iss not what makes the sniper. its still his fieldcraft and skills thats important.

on ghillie, wearing one will not make any of us airsoft snipers invisible. it will just help us blend in more with the area thus making us "hard to spot". not really invisible.

just like what I placed on my sig, its the sniper's skill thats deadly. anybody can wield a sniper rifle. anybody can wear ghillie. anybody can hit opfors 300ft out (well, not really all). in the end, it all boils down to the snipers fieldcraft and skills. thats what makes an effective sniper.

just my 2 bbs on the topic of tactics. hope I did'nt offend anyone. Happy Hunting! :a-salute:

Snake, I know no one becomes invisible with ghillie :a-thumbsup: lol

also what foam exactly? I have tried a few and they seemed to hard or air just kinda blew through em

and I agree on pretty much all you are saying, after all that IS what a REAL sniper is supposed to be like

Nice snake. But isn't the point of airsoft to kill the enemy. I kind of think that airsoft snipers need to adapt to that in a way.

..but personally it depends on field size and amount of players, if it's 5 on 5, sure I'll tell my team mates what's going on, but I will take more shots, as compared to a larger game, it might be better to go around collecting intel

So what'd all the materials end up costing you? I'd love to know so that I can make one later on this week possibly.

oh man, idk, like $20? lol

PVC pipe is VERY cheap, cotton balls are super cheap, teflon tape is not bad and not fully necisary, that mesh and/or chicken wire is extremely cheap, loctite is not bad, spray paint and washers differ and are usually still cheap

almost everything is from my local hardware store, it's the do-it center (yay for sexual inuendo..?)

also, for anyone who the the silencer is too home-made looking for their tastes? I designed another silencer, it'll be made of thin metal pipe and screw on with no visible threads or anything attatched to the barrel like my current silencer, it'll be a while before I make it

it should work better too, I am going to test foams

Edited by yayapfool

Snake nailed it guys...

You need to be felt by the enemy, from your teammates rifles. If you should be able to get close enough with out being seen to be able to hear them talking.

Many times while wearing my ghillie I have had people no more than 5 feet from my position. A big part of this role is being able to hold your shot and let them walk by. A kill isn't always a good thing. If there is a group of people around you and you get one of them out.... you just screwed yourself. Instead learn where they are going and how they are planning on getting there. Relay this back to your team and have them set an ambush. Then when they try to run away you can get them when they are worried about the bbs from your guys.

I have played games that have lasted 3 days...... I think the most kills I have gotten ..... was around a dozen. Now this doesn't count all the points I earned for my team by compleating Recon objectives, or relaying info back to my team so they can either drop motors or set an ambush.

A snipers most effective weapon is his mind. Learn to use it and apply it to where you play.

Snake nailed it guys...

You need to be felt by the enemy, from your teammates rifles. If you should be able to get close enough with out being seen to be able to hear them talking.

A big part of this role is being able to hold your shot and let them walk by. A kill isn't always a good thing. If there is a group of people around you and you get one of them out.... you just screwed yourself. Instead learn where they are going and how they are planning on getting there. Relay this back to your team and have them set an ambush. Then when they try to run away you can get them when they are worried about the bbs from your guys.

A snipers most effective weapon is his mind. Learn to use it and apply it to where you play.

absolutely, I mean you and snake have put into words quite well, hopefully most hard core snipers know how to play recon, not just SNIPEr

I think a lot of people have a totally wrong judgement on the idea of being a sniper

<AT>Hemp420 - I also agree on that point. you'll eventually get your fair share of kills in a game. it all depends on how the team wants to use you. you may be used to shoot VIPs, the guy spraying that m249, the leader of the enemy assault team, etc. But you also need to adapt to the fact and accept that you may be asked to just sit there and wait all day and just relay info to your team for that perfect ambush. you will often find yourself clad in your ghillie, hiding in the bushes, silently, patiently watching enemy movement with your binocs and your rifle just sitting beside you. Being an airsoft sniper is a very fulfilling role. kills or no kills.

<AT>yayapfool - IDK if this is legal there but this is the guide* I followed for my working silencer. You will need to replace the thing that looks like a barrel spacer in the pic with foam from old sofa, bed, etc. The more foam you use, the better. Works a ton better actually from commercially available suppresors.

*PM me for the diagram

Edited by S n a k e™

haha, oh snake, you havn't learned what I have, lol

I got a thread deleted and 10% warn for posting a how to silencer thread, haha

and also, I honestly like just being around the enimy, my woods is very thick, and I have always been the stealth type keeping my [almost] DMR M4 on semi, precision shooting, many times have I been close enough to hear conversations, it's exciting to me, being unseen, and able to take them all out :a-wink:

haha, oh snake, you havn't learned what I have, lol

I got a thread deleted and 10% warn for posting a how to silencer thread, haha

and also, I honestly like just being around the enimy, my woods is very thick, and I have always been the stealth type keeping my [almost] DMR M4 on semi, precision shooting, many times have I been close enough to hear conversations, it's exciting to me, being unseen, and able to take them all out :a-wink:

agree. I get the same natural high from that too. :a-wink:

absolutely, I mean you and snake have put into words quite well, hopefully most hard core snipers know how to play recon, not just SNIPEr

I think a lot of people have a totally wrong judgement on the idea of being a sniper

That's why im switching to a semi-auto for most games. A 300' shot is not needed 95% of the time, but providing quick,accurate, long distance fire while at the same time providing valuable information is needed in every game. Most of the time, we(my spotter and I) would relay intel to our team while overlooking the opposing team's base,and the highly accurate bolt gun would be useless, because we couldnt risk giving away our position. Recon can be done with pretty much any weapon, and a semi-auto gives the sniper team a tremendous firepower advantage in the event of compromise.

I don't think anyone adressed tactics on long ops, which is where a sniper could be most effective as far as recon goes.More time to observe, and usually a slower pace of gameplay. I usually go out during long games(>4 hours) not as one 2-man team, but a six man unit, with 2 sniper teams, and a support team. We all carry aeg's in additon to sniper weapons, and it allows us to operate more as a reconnaissance patrol than a sniper team if needed.

During movement to an objective, the sniper teams will move to observe, while the security team hangs back close enough to support both teams if compromised.

Having two sniper teams in different positions wreaks havoc on the opposing team's mindset. after a couple of hours of harrassing shots from different locations they seem to think that there are snipers in every bush and tree. After a game one guy couldnt believe there was only two snipers shooting, he thought there were at least four shooters.

I totally agree with you guys but I guess my dudes play a little more laid back. We don't really have recon patrols. Its more of 3 people start at one end and 3 other at one side, or defend the base kind of thing.

Im still having trouble with getting pinned down by Hi-cap mag aeg fire though... I was snipping through a wedge with a loop hole just big enough to snipe through and a aeg zeroed in on me, unloaded like 30bbs on to my position and I got nailed. Pretty good day though, got some good shots in. Its always great when the guy you snipped is flabergasted by your shot haha.

As for that recon stuff, most of our skirmishes end up in the woods/barn area so its pretty much a sure thing you know where they are.

on long OPs, I usually go out solo as the recon sniper unit of my team of 10. 8 grunts, 1 medic and me. I usually only bring the essentials, ghillie, water, binocs, radio and my rifle.

for infiltration missions, I exclusively act as the eye of the team. relaying intel in 10-15min intervals. Our usual tactic is: I relay intel, they setup ambush, ill pick out reloading enemies from behind. that is usually the only time I fire my rifle unless Im asked to take out a VIP or something.

There was this one OP where I was asked to take out a VIP. I spent almost 4hrs crawling/crouching/tracking/finding the m%^&f#$@er while still being careful not to be spotted by them and/or other patrolling elements. when I finally found my target, I still have to spend another 1.5-2hrs stalking and watching him while still relaying intel to the others and setting up a good position to take my shot.

I was only able to take out my target 30mins before the game ends. this happened when the target (our enemy's CO) ordered the final assault. everyone except his 4 security detail and 1 machine gunner were left in the camp. I took the shot and waived at them. Obviously I was taken out but I took their CO with me. There's really no point in staying as our team/camp's mission from the start is to eliminate the enemy's CO. besides, ill eventually get taken out anyways (and I don't wast to get a BB bath from that mean and brandnew m249 that the gunner is holding). mission accomplished for us that day.

oh, and I have to endure lots of hours of ants crawlin' up my pants, face and neck and only eating 2 bananas and 3L of gatorade that day. hard but very fulfilling.

man I wish I had long OPS like that, I have been to countless events but nothing like that, when I have all my sniper gear I would love to do some of that

I am seriously going to keep my sniper rifle at 350-450 FPS for my friend's field, it's THAT close of woods, you don't need a very high FPS

Look around at the area you live at yay....

I drive 9 hours to get to the big game I talk about. And it is well worth the drive.

wow, that's crazy, but for multiple day OPs that sounds well worth it

yeah once summer comes around again I may have the option, but I'm kind of buisy with school and everything else, and every break of school I'm going out of state to see my girlfriend, so I really only have weekends to airsoft