Sign in to follow this  
bgm66@msstate.edu

Halo Reach Shotgun

SO guys,

If you saw my question about the Spas 12 you will know that I have really got into airsoft shotgunning. I wanted to get a good quality airsoft shotgun, but I've run into a problem. The industry has no tri-shot shotgun that is appealing to me. SO I'm going to build my own. I want a shell fed tri shot, because I'm going to be using this thing as a woodland primary. I have had a fun time playing the newest installment of Halo, so I'm going to try to build the Halo Reach shotgun.

final_left_right.jpg

The TM M3 Shorty Shotty will be my base gun

tm_m390s.jpg

The stock will be a Blackhawk NRS stock

2020349.jpg

The rail system will be from the upper reciever of a FN 2000 (probably JLS version)

FNH_CB_FS2000_Right.jpg

The stock will also get a crane stock eventually

airsoft_E1_cqb_crane_stk_BLK.jpg

If I have the money and this thing works out as planned then it might get a Magpul UBR stock

Magpul%20UBR%20Black.jpg

I'm going to be looking into some rubber gaskets to make the ridges on the pump but we will see how that works out.

RUBBER-GASKET.jpg

SO that is going to be the build I will update you as everything goes along.

If you have any ideas or suggestions then let me know. Although the shotgun loads from the top down in the game I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to flip the internal mechanism of the gun yet. If I do get brave enough I'll probably stay cautious and get myself a DE/UTG/TSD version of the gun.

Edited by Grady the Scot

I'm getting kind of excited about this build. The M3 Shorty was ordered today. I found a JLS FN2000 for sale used but the guy has yet to answer any of my emails. I'm still looking at different stock options. The Blackhawk NRS has a slight kant to it so I'm going to have to do some more work on it to put the stock in line with the bore if I want to use that stock. Most other AR shotgun conversion kits are SUPER expensive because they are made for real shotguns and there isn't a big market for them. I'm also looking into some plastic to use to make the do dads and seams and rivets on this thing. Any suggestions are welcome.

You should look into pepakura. Most all of the Halo armor sets are based off of a paper model that's then coated with resin and fiberglassed. That'll at least give you most of the shape.

Pepakura Plans4837128826_9147fdcd4b_m.jpg

Edited by Automobilie

I'm getting kind of excited about this build. The M3 Shorty was ordered today. I found a JLS FN2000 for sale used but the guy has yet to answer any of my emails. I'm still looking at different stock options. The Blackhawk NRS has a slight kant to it so I'm going to have to do some more work on it to put the stock in line with the bore if I want to use that stock. Most other AR shotgun conversion kits are SUPER expensive because they are made for real shotguns and there isn't a big market for them. I'm also looking into some plastic to use to make the do dads and seams and rivets on this thing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Even thou I'm not a video game fan the concept gun actually does look pretty good. Just saying, You got a bunch a work on your hands (like a bunch, I've done some minor external renovations and those took 15+ hours)... but I really hope you get it done and it turns out well. :) Good luck! - BC

I get the feeling that epoxy putty or auto body filler will be your best friend with this project. Halo's shotgun has always had so many weird, rounded edges.

The halo shotguns are unique in that the magazine is on the top of the gun, rather than the bottom, like most modern day shotguns. Do you plan to replicate this?

top rail looks more like a g36 imo

The halo shotguns are unique in that the magazine is on the top of the gun, rather than the bottom, like most modern day shotguns. Do you plan to replicate this?

Yeah I said earlier that the magazine loading on top was awesome but could be a very costly mistake for my TM M3. If the build works out well I might grab a DE/UTG/TSD model and try flipping the loading system.

top rail looks more like a g36 imo

I never really thought about a G36 Rail. That is a good idea. The vent holes and iron sights reminded me of an FN 2000 but it might be easier with a G36 rail. Definitely cheaper.

I'm going to be using a lot of epoxy and probably a lot of acrylic (plexiglass) to get the bolts and panels and such. I'm not yet sure how far I can go with this thing. I know its going to be a lot of work and I'm not scared of that. I am scared of the kind of detail that I might have to put into it. When I get the majority of it put together we will see how I feel about it. I'm not a big video game fan usually but I've played Halo since it came out and since I wanted a shotgun I thought I would do a fun thing to pay homage to the shotgun from the game.

MUCH better base gun would be a CAW M1014, pump action with 200' stock range using good BBs, I'm not exagerrating, and it comes with a rail.

Edited by Kavurcen

I'm going to be using a lot of epoxy and probably a lot of acrylic (plexiglass) to get the bolts and panels and such. I'm not yet sure how far I can go with this thing. I know its going to be a lot of work and I'm not scared of that. I am scared of the kind of detail that I might have to put into it. When I get the majority of it put together we will see how I feel about it. I'm not a big video game fan usually but I've played Halo since it came out and since I wanted a shotgun I thought I would do a fun thing to pay homage to the shotgun from the game.

coming from someone who has a massive collection of Warhammer 40k stuff, details are never difficult.

I mean that, seriously. If you really want something to look a certain way, it's much easier for you to go that extra mile to get it that way.

I've got no doubt in my mind that this project is possible. While you might not get the toploading function, that would be a minor tradeoff for all the minds you will blow when you bring it out for show and kill.

One tip for the screws: Figure out which ones will be the actual body screws and make those real. For the others, get plastic screws and cut off the head, then glue the head onto the gun's body where needed.

This thread is really making me think about buying a shotgun again...

Edited by LoneSniperSG

MUCH better base gun would be a CAW M1014, pump action with 200' stock range using good BBs, I'm not exagerrating, and it comes with a rail.

Matter of opinion. IMO an airsoft shotgun should shoot more than one bb per shot for it to be a shotgun and I'll take that over another 50-75' of range.

coming from someone who has a massive collection of Warhammer 40k stuff, details are never difficult.

I mean that, seriously. If you really want something to look a certain way, it's much easier for you to go that extra mile to get it that way.

I've got no doubt in my mind that this project is possible. While you might not get the toploading function, that would be a minor tradeoff for all the minds you will blow when you bring it out for show and kill.

One tip for the screws: Figure out which ones will be the actual body screws and make those real. For the others, get plastic screws and cut off the head, then glue the head onto the gun's body where needed.

This thread is really making me think about buying a shotgun again...

Cool. Well thanks for the encouragement. I will try to make it as good as I can. The screw idea is very helpful. I really made it hard on myself going with this shotgun over the a shotgun from the other HALO games. This one is SO detailed. I've got a friend who was into 40k and it looked really good, do you have any suggestions for materials. I was thinking lazercut plexiglass would be pretty easy but I'm not sure if that is going to be the best moneywise or timewise.

The reason I mentioned Papercraft.

Seriously, it'll save you a dozen steps and look a bit nicer.

Edit: Ok, maybe not a dozen, but still......

Edited by Automobilie

The reason I mentioned Papercraft.

Seriously, it'll save you a dozen steps and look a bit nicer.

Edit: Ok, maybe not a dozen, but still......

Yeah that looks good. I'm not sure I need anything but that top rail and I'm not sure if I want to make the rail out of paper. I might make the papercraft model just to have a to scale halo shotgun to scale mine next to. If they come out with the reach shotgun in papercraft I might go for it though.

I've got the G36 Rail now and I've ordered the Blackhawk NRS stock kit. The only things left are the gasket for the pump and the crane stock. The detail stuff will wait until I've got the bigger stuff taken care of.

It won't fit the build as well as a crane stock but a UBR stock would look #%@*^% amazing on there.

Well you don't just leave it at paper. The top you'd coated with resin, then fill up the underside with fiberglass and resin. Sand it and then paint it and you won't know the difference.

do you know anyone that is a good artist or sculptor. get some clay or foam. make the design youlr looking for on the gun as in sculpt it there and then go to an auto paint shop or somewhere that they can spray an acrylic spray over it. then take the clay or foam off and you have an acrylic cover

I understand that you cover the paper with resin, I'm just not sure if the paper is a good enough reinforcing for the resin. We shall see. I was more excited at making the TM shotgun look like the Halo shotgun than I am about making the Halo shotgun that happens to be an airsoft gun.

Actually I am a good artist or sculptor (not tooting my own horn). I should be able to do that as well. We shall see how everything goes when the gun comes in. Most likely I will not attach any of the body work (except for the stock of course). I will probably make a few different versions so that I can put one on and see how it looks an then put another one on and see how that looks/feels/weighs/performs.

Looks like there are lots of options for the body work on this thing. I encourage you guys to try this out. You might be more in favor of papercraft. You might be better at foam. I hope you guys will buy a DE clone shotgun and give it a try yourself. Get this thing going. We need some more Halo airsoft weapons and the more the merrier. Hopefully not only will this build show you it can be done but will also give you some ideas on how to build your own.

actually what ive done in the past is get that black foam that is very dense and solid and cut the base shape then carefully carve or sand the shapes I want works well and is light. also you can :censored2: a coat of a harding agent to it. giving it a shell..or if you make a good foam or what ever parts you can take it some where and make plastic molds and so on

I can, and will attest to that.

Had two, 210 feet was the farthest shot. It's still a shotgun, no matter what anyone says about it.

It shoots slugs.

That actually looks REALLY sick!

I've never seen a Halo shotgun up close, or the actual design of it. I say go for it. If this can work and you can make a decent, functional replica, I know a LOT of Halo fans will be down to get this.

absolutely, and plenty of non-halo players also, thats a sick design. I am an AEG user but im more of a stealth operator so im considering a shotgun to mix in for more mobility and this would be perfect

That actually looks REALLY sick!

I've never seen a Halo shotgun up close, or the actual design of it. I say go for it. If this can work and you can make a decent, functional replica, I know a LOT of Halo fans will be down to get this.

absolutely, and plenty of non-halo players also, thats a sick design. I am an AEG user but im more of a stealth operator so im considering a shotgun to mix in for more mobility and this would be perfect