Sign in to follow this  
da killa

8mm vs 6mm

Hi everyone,

As you can see in the Topic Description I would like to know if an 8mm Gun is better to use as a Sniper Rifle than a 6mm gun. the bbs are heavier and bigger so they should fly more stable. But then I heard of the problem with the air resistance. So is it right that you have to crank the fps up to maybe 800 to 900fps with .2? And can you say me any other advantages and disadvantages of an 8mm gun, please.

I read a good thread about this topic here in the forum but I can not find it anymore...so it would be nice if anyone who knows show me this Thread

da killa

Hi,

That 8mm bbs are more expensive and harder to find does not interest me very much because when 8mm guns are better I would buy them. So you say that 8mm bbs are less accurate. Why? I would say that they are more accurate on short distances than 6mm. The main problem with them I think is the range. Because of the air resistance the 8mm bb lose much faster speed than a 6mm. So you have to crank up the fps. When you do it I would say that the 8mm guns would perform better...also on higher distances like 300ft and higher.

DO YOU THINK THAT I AM RIGHT HERE?

So my main question would be if an 8mm can perform better when you think of fps up to 650 in the aspects of range and accuracy.

When you want to go with fps like 900fps with 0.2 an 8mm would perform better than a 6mm right???

da killa

Because an 8mm has a lot more surface area than a 6mm bb. And because you can't get an 8 mm bb that is heavy enough for a sniper rifle. You would need something that would be twice as heavy as they offer now.

That and where will you find all the parts for an 8mm sniper rifle? Unless you can do a ton of fabrication and everything like that.... there really isn't much of a plus when it comes to an 8mm sniper rifle.

Hi,

That an 8mm has a lot more surface area is clear...thats the problem with the air resistance I think. But why isnt the ammo heavy enough. 8mm or 6mm. I would say it is the same thing. It depends on how fast you are shooting. So I do not understand what you mean when you say the ammo have to be much heavier...

And because of the " There arent any tuning parts"...I am a guy that thinks that you can all do and when you cant do yourself you find a guy who does it for you.

6mm ammo you can get anywhere from .12 all the way to .88. Though the .88's aren't able to be used on any field, due to them being metal. But there are a ton of little changes between ammo weight. .20, .23, .25, .28, .29, well you get the idea. So you are able to more fine tune your rifle.

There really isn't that option when you start to look at the 8mm side of things. Now if there was more of a demand for a wide range of 8mm ammo you may start to see alot more 8mm sniper rifles. But as of right now there really isn't that many. T

The one place that an 8mm will really excell is in pistols and shotguns. I loved my 8mm pistol that I had, there wasn't a bush that could stop that round. But you only got I think 8 or 9 shots with it. Same with the shot guns. Great for close range and shrub isnt going to stop it.

If you can make the stuff, then more power to you. And if you can't and can pay someone to make it for you..... well even more power to you.

But it will still come down to finding a "sniper grade ammo" in the 8mm that will be a pain.

But it will still come down to finding a "sniper grade ammo" in the 8mm that will be a pain.

In other words high quality solid BBs without many bubbles, and polished correctly and evenly and are actually to the .01g accurate diameter.

Ok,

So the main Problem are the BBs...And is it right now that you have to crank the fps up to maybe 800 to 900fps with .2 to get lets say the same range as an fully upgraded Tanaka? And when it is right that would show us all that you can not play with such a gun anymore...that is all I want to know...RIGHT or NOT RIGHT???

8mm BBs generally only come in weights up to .45g, though there are apparently some up to .60g. Anyway, when you consider that an 8mm BB has about 2.4 times the volume of a 6mm BB, you realize that the heavy .45g 8mm is about as dense as a .20g 6mm. Bioshot makes an 8mm .45g BB (as well as .34g). I forget which weight I have, but the bag that I got for use in my Marushin G21 had reasonably good tolerances if I recall my brief measuring of a few of them. If I recall, they weren't any better or worse than a lot of "sniper grade" ammo a lot of people use, as Madbulls aren't necessarily the greatest with tolerances. So, with the volume and density, when you look at what we have in 6mm, we have BBs weighing .30g-.43g in non-metallic options that would be equivalent to about .7-1.0g weights. I agree with woogie_man that basically we need like double the weight we have currently. Getting those sorts of weights up to enough power that they would outperform a 6mm could get dangerous.

Here's a page that has some information about basically why 8mm BBs aren't going to be as good as 6mm BBs in general. The questions relevant to the 8mm ones are closer to the bottom. Basically, due to the size, they are going to experience a lot more air resistance, and so with the current weights of 8mm BBs we have, they are basically not going to be as effective.

http://msed.bbbastard.com/ATP/08-a-01.htm

At one point, I was considering what would happen if I could go and convert my Well AW338 to 8mm, but in the end, it didn't seem worth it. It would definitely be possible if I spent enough money, but the difference in performance between a good 6mm compared to 8mm seemed like it wouldn't be worth converting it for actual use. I think to make the actual conversion, it would just need 5 or 6 things made.

Ok,

So the main Problem are the BBs...And is it right now that you have to crank the fps up to maybe 800 to 900fps with .2 to get lets say the same range as an fully upgraded Tanaka? And when it is right that would show us all that you can not play with such a gun anymore...that is all I want to know...RIGHT or NOT RIGHT???

From some calulations using this, I estimate that you would need a frightening 10 joules of force to have roughly an effective range of 200 feet. That would be a .2 gram BB going 1000+ FPS, which is impossible for a BB that is .2 grams.

Hi,

In a German Forum I asked the same question and it was the following waht we have found out now:

A big diameter is negative for the accuracy

A high weight is positive

So you mean that the 8mm bbs are better because there are 8mm bbs with a higher weight as the 6mm BBs

When there would be an .8 6mm BB it would outperform a .8 8mm BB.

So, The BB should be small and heavy. Then youll get much accuracy.

Now I will summarize what I think now about it... and I would be happy if you can say me if it is right:There are 8mm BBs that are heavier than 6mm BBs(The 6mm BBs are not there in those heavy weights). The heavier 8mm BBs have more accuracy but not much range. When you would crank up the fps now( to maybe 1000fps) it would probably get the same range as a fully upgraded Tanaka or VSR 10 with a better accuracy. And because you cant play with those high fps anymore you can say that an 8mm is bad to use as a sniper rifle.

IS IT RIGHT?

da killa

Heres the link to the german forum:

http://www.700fps.de/x2/wbb2/thread.php?th...er=0&page=1

I remember that TCF was very interested in a custom 8mm sniper rifle a few years ago. I don't know what became of it. It would be cool though if you could make an airsoft 50BMG type rifle (barret) that did shoot around 800-1000 fps. You could set up their MED at around 250 ft. Then it would truly be a long range weapon. I imagine that with good ammo and that kind of speed it would be capable of 400ft shots or maybe even 450ft shots accurately. A laser range finder would be important for safe MED verification. It would have to be gas for sure. I also think the hopup, if made properly would be more accurate than a 6mm bb just because it would be easier to apply even hop to an 8mm bb than a 6mm. But that is all just theoretical.