Sign in to follow this  
Soylent

AOE spacing

I'm in the process of upgrading some of the internals in my SCAR and want to set the AOE correctly. I shaved off the 2nd tooth and half of the third. The stock AOE is quite a bit off as you can see in this first picture. Note the black mark on the piston rail:

IMG_1931.jpg

When I slide the piston out to correct the AOE it moves a distance of about 4 mm, or 1/8":

IMG_1929.jpg

Is this typical? Seems like it is quite an adjustment and you can see that the sector gear is not perfectly parallel. If I accomplished this with spacers there would not be much of the piston head sleeve remaining in the piston. Sorbothane would be the alternative but I can't find anyone that sells the nice pre-cut pads. Should I be correcting the full 1/8"?

Upgrades include: Systema M120 spring, polycarb piston, prometheus high-speed gears.

The aluminum one will just cause more wear and tear on your gearbox. Not really a good thing until you get into super high power levels where poly carb would possibly fail.