Sign in to follow this  
Dusti69

Non linear spring

I got a black coated dream army oil tamper wire non linear m120 spring here

I used to know how this worked, but ive forgotten over the years. which way does a non linear spring go? do the looser coils go on the spring guide end or do the two sets of tighter coils go there? ........im thinking the two tighter sets go inside the piston

oh and I used to hear that non linear springs werent good for full auto. I think it was only something somebody was saying back then, but is this a proven fact?

if so then what are the reasons?

Tighter coils go around the spring guide.

I don't know why someone would say that non-linear springs aren't good for full auto. They are designed to be easier to pull back and thus allow you to achieve a higher ROF, so one could say they are designed for high ROF, and thus perfectly fine for full auto use.

I don't know why someone would say that non-linear springs aren't good for full auto. They are designed to be easier to pull back and thus allow you to achieve a higher ROF, so one could say they are designed for high ROF, and thus perfectly fine for full auto use.

maybe it was in regards to a systema non linear m120. because that was the spring I had then. it was really stiff and powerful for an m120. it was more like an m130. the gearbox I wanted to put it in back then cycled sort of fine on semi with it but had too much trouble cycling to fire in auto ...well it didnt at all

im curious as to what kinda rof and fps im going to get with the dream army spring pairing it with an element wire kit and a dream army high torque motor or a matrix 3k magnum. its about one of the thinnest wired springs ive ever seen

Edited by Dusti69

Non linear springs are easier for the motor to pull in the early stages of a firing cycle. They put less stress on the back teeth of a piston and only start to put on a lot of stress when more teeth are engaged. This is supposed to make AEGs more reliable.

Linear springs are supposed to be more consistent, giving better overall performance.

I've never done tests, so I can't verify that.

Your RoF will depend on your battery, gear ratio, spring and motor.

I run an SHS M120 in my G&G M4 with the stock gearset on an Element Max Torque motor (same as the Matrix magnum). With an 11.1v 1500MaH 20C and 16AWG wiring it runs 25rps.

I'm fairly familiar with how that motor interacts with different setups, so if you give me the other details of your setup I could give you an idea of what kind of performance you can expect.

I cant even get the spring into my gun. like the tighter coiled end of the spring compresses but it doesnt seem like the other end will budge at all.

its really stiff on that end. plus the spring is a lot longer than the stock spring. ....I dunno, maybe by an inch or so

the farthest I can get the spring to push in before it "S" bends the tighter coiled end is nearly fully pressed together

maybe I should clip some coils from one end? I have no idea which end, I never use these non linears

seems as though this is a lot stronger spring than what an m120 is averagely rated. im only looking for like 370 to 380 fps ....hm as I believe it was advertised as its fps rating

I might end up having to stick with the stock d-boys spring but its fps was kinda poopy after being settled

Edited by Dusti69

I just put the Systema non-linear M120 in my VFC SCAR. It was slightly longer than the stock spring but went in fine. Hold the screwdriver/springuide assembly with your left hand. Place the base of you right palm and thumb over the cylinder and exposed spring and push with the left hand. Make sure you have the other half of the gearbox ready :a-grin:

couldnt because of the bevel and arl being too loose. ....it was hard enough just getting the stock spring back in. I think it was actually at least 2 inches longer than the stock spring

I was tryin with all my strength and couldnt get that non linear in there. seemed like everytime it was almost there, the arl popped out

its not often I have issues like this when working on guns .....maybe ill try stickin it in another gun sometime

Edited by Dusti69

you know how I said the stock spring seemed harder to get back in? well its settled and was originally having some average fps probly 360

along with this set up I installed a dream army airseal nozzel, element stainless ...I think type c cylinder, element double o-ringed metal cylinder head, and I put a fresh from the hardware store #14 o-ring on the g&p explosive piston head

now the fps is about too high. it shoots straight through the bottom of a soda can. must be the upgraded compression parts

so I didnt even need that upgrade spring, but thanks for all the help

Edited by Dusti69