Sign in to follow this  
Soylent

Is this the new Midcap Mag blues?

I have had a few issues with my VFC scar that I felt were a combination of low compression, hopup, and/or using a highcap mag. My shots were getting weaker and weaker with a few BBs just rolling out of th barrel. The rifle was stock except for a Guarder steel cylinder head, bearing spring guide, Prometheus gears, and proper shimming and greasing.

I took the gearbox apart. Installed a Systema M120 non-linear spring, Guarder polycarb piston, piston head and new cylinder. Replaced the cylinder head pad with a sorbo pad and set the AOE correctly. I teflon-taped the cylinder head and cylinder junction, and also under the air nozzle, and demonstrated good compression. Replaced the VFC bucking and teflon-taped it to the barrel. I replaced the stock motor with an AMP high torque motor.

I purchased 3 VFC midcaps and loaded/unloaded them 3 times.

When I initially fire the rifle on semi-auto a get shots that curve down after 50-75 foot. Once I set it to auto and fire a few bursts I get a straight rope that is pretty impressive. Now, if I switch back to semi I get single shots that are also powerful and straight. I wouldn't imagine that I am still having compression problems unless it is sporadic at the junction of the bucking and the air nozzle. Is this just the midcaps not being broken in yet? Thanks.

p.s. Aligning the selector gear correctly while sliding the gearbox in is a MAJOR pia.

Have you tried full auto from a full mag? From a half filled mag? Semi?

I have only used a full brand new midcap mag. I shot semi with a few weak shots, switched to full auto and it started to shoot long and strong, then switched back to semi and then it shot strong in semi as well. I did this in the same order a few times. I can try a few of the other combos of half-filled mags, shooting full auto first, etc, tonight.