Sign in to follow this  
F1609

Tanaka Or Sun Project?

Im still looking to get a sniper rifle but I was wondering which one is better Tanaka or Sun Project M40A1 or Tanaka M24 SWS

Depends if you want a Gas rifle or a Spring Rifle.. if your new I would suggest a diffrent gun until you know what your doing. the M40s can be a pain to work with. The M40A1 isnt a good choise. They are getting harder to find parts for, The SP M40 XB is your best bet if you want a spring Rifle..

Ross

Im still looking to get a sniper rifle but I was wondering which one is better Tanaka or Sun Project M40A1 or Tanaka M24 SWS

Reply:

Given the two choices, I'd say you go ahead and buy the Tanaka M40A1 if you're really into the M40A1 SWS thing. The Sun Project M40A1 spring-powered rifle is a nice piece. It's well-made, solid as a bat and the nice wood stock alone is enough reason to warrant owning one. However, the Sun Project M40A1 has been discontinued and is no longer in production. Parts and aftermarket accessories are in short supply. Get the Tanaka M40A1 instead. In case something breaks on your rifle, you won't break your heart.

My project gun right now is a bolt-action gas powered sniper rifle. I used to consider the Sun Project M40A1 myself but I decided to go for the Tanaka M40A1 at the last minute. The Sun Project M40A1 has a fixed hop-up. Out of the box, the Sun Project M40A1 rates at around 285 fps while the Tanaka scores an impressive 360 fps. Some Tanaka rifles like the Mauser K98k could do better than that - 435 fps. If you want the Sun Project M40A1 to shoot better, be prepared to spend USD $129.00 for the Gas Conversion Kit. Once converted into a gas rifle, the SP M40A1 could handle Red Gas and shoot .43g BBs at around 550 fps. The Tanaka M40A1 being a gas rifle out-of-the-box could easily break 650 fps without a sweat. By the way, the stock trigger on the Sun Project M40A1 is not as smooth as that on the Tanaka M40A1 due to a primitive trigger mechanism design. Be prepared to spend another USD $36.00 for the aftermarket Japanese SP M40A1 trigger upgrade. On the Tanaka M40A1, the trigger pull is adjustable out-of-the-box.

When Tanaka introduced the M40A1, their focus was already on the realism factor instead of the rifle's gas system since this has already been accomplished when they released their groundbreaking Remington M700 rifle. Like the M700 and M24 SWS, the M40A1's gas system was based on the famous Pegasus Gas System. As you already know this guarantees stable muzzle velocity regardless of the gas type you're using. Tanaka's M40A1 sports a Monte Carlo type slim stock with fixed butt plate. The cheekpiece and grip are symmetric, making the rifle easy to hold both from right and left. The cheekpiece may not be adjustable just like the M24's but it's an all-around design for general purpose use. The Tanaka's version of the real steel M40A1's synthetic stock is also more resistant to dents, dings and scratches. I can't say the same for the Sun Project M40A1's wood stock.

So if you what you want is a collector's piece, get the Sun Project M40A1. But if what you're looking for is an excellent bolt-action sniper rifle that delivers superb out-of-the-box performance, you'll never go wrong with the Tanaka M40A1.

Good day!

PS

The only modification I could think of with the Tanaka M40A1 would be the First Factory M700 precision barrel. This will increase the rifle's power and imrove its accuracy especially with heavier BBs. Accessories? The G&P M3 3.5-10 x 40mm scope mounted on G&P 30mm diameter high-mounted scope rings affixed to a Guarder M40A1 1-piece scope base sounds like a winner. Of course, I won't forget the Tanaka genuine M700 leather sling and Harris bipod. I'll keep you posted for feedbacks once this project gun's done.

Edited by Shadowfox