dooodstevenn

spring vs. gas...but UPDATED!

im sure everyone in the sniper section has gone through the spring vs. gas debate when chosing a first rifle, but now with the cheaper echo1 m28 shooting about 525 fps out of the box, do spring guns now have an advantage? before we had to upgrade a ton of things to get a spring sniper shooting over 500 fps. I quit airsoft a while ago, but my friends continued to play, and sucked me back in...I had a tanak m700 police version pre-ban. which I loved. easy pull bolt, huge power, etc. but a giant problem I had with it was that even on warm sunny, southern california days, it was still very inconsistent. and before I even began to look into spring rifle, I had already sold my rifle and quit the hobby. now being back, I was wondering with spring rifles like the echo1, could the m28 slightly moded hold up to a vsr-10 that someone put 5,600 into?

I was thinking take the stock m28, throw in a mock silencer to increase barrel length and get a .03 tb barrel that extends out to the mock silencer, and get some make shift spacers for the silencer, I figured people spend most money on trying to get their internals and triggers to withstand a 500 fps spring. what do you guys think?

im sure everyone in the sniper section has gone through the spring vs. gas debate when chosing a first rifle, but now with the cheaper echo1 m28 shooting about 525 fps out of the box, do spring guns now have an advantage? before we had to upgrade a ton of things to get a spring sniper shooting over 500 fps. I quit airsoft a while ago, but my friends continued to play, and sucked me back in...I had a tanak m700 police version pre-ban. which I loved. easy pull bolt, huge power, etc. but a giant problem I had with it was that even on warm sunny, southern california days, it was still very inconsistent. and before I even began to look into spring rifle, I had already sold my rifle and quit the hobby. now being back, I was wondering with spring rifles like the echo1, could the m28 slightly moded hold up to a vsr-10 that someone put 5,600 into?

I was thinking take the stock m28, throw in a mock silencer to increase barrel length and get a .03 tb barrel that extends out to the mock silencer, and get some make shift spacers for the silencer, I figured people spend most money on trying to get their internals and triggers to withstand a 500 fps spring. what do you guys think?

Since when did gas sniper rifles ever have an edge over spring guns? I mean, classic guns arguably did, but today's propane or CO2 guns don't seem to be nearly as consistent as spring guns.

Don't quote me on this, as I'm by no means a spring rifle expert, but it seems that for your money, you can get a better performing spring rifle, seeing as how velocity is not the end-all factor in a sniper rifle.

Since when did gas sniper rifles ever have an edge over spring guns? I mean, classic guns arguably did, but today's propane or CO2 guns don't seem to be nearly as consistent as spring guns.

Don't quote me on this, as I'm by no means a spring rifle expert, but it seems that for your money, you can get a better performing spring rifle, seeing as how velocity is not the end-all factor in a sniper rifle.

im not arguing for or against gas, just read some other forums and the pro gas people always said higher fps, faster cycling (short stroking the bolt and no resistance) and that springs were not as good because you have to spend crap tons of cash to get them to shoot 500+ fps

gas rifles always will have a huge advantage over spring guns

1. with an HPA rig, gas guns will be just as consistent as spring guns

2. cheaper- the cost of a fully upgraded gas sniper rifle will be less than a fully upgraded spring sniper rifle, including price of gun

3. stealth- you don't have that piston smacking the cylinder head creating noise. all the sound is the crack of the air leaving the barrel. add a "silencer" and we kno whats the effect. plus we don't need to move our entire arm just to pull a bolt back, vs. in a gas, all one would have to do is move their finger

4. accuracy- with out the piston hitting the cylinder head, there are no vibrations

x2s is right, with the gas design, fewer components need to be upgraded, and consistancy can be achieved with an hpa rig. Gas will almost always have a slight advantage over spring, but I disagree about the cheaper part. They will always be more expensive; you have to buy gas AND ammo.

x2s is right, with the gas design, fewer components need to be upgraded, and consistancy can be achieved with an hpa rig. Gas will almost always have a slight advantage over spring, but I disagree about the cheaper part. They will always be more expensive; you have to buy gas AND ammo.

well disregard the gas and ammo, it would be slightly cheaper to do a gas build than a spring build

gas rifles always will have a huge advantage over spring guns

1. with an HPA rig, gas guns will be just as consistent as spring guns

2. cheaper- the cost of a fully upgraded gas sniper rifle will be less than a fully upgraded spring sniper rifle, including price of gun

3. stealth- you don't have that piston smacking the cylinder head creating noise. all the sound is the crack of the air leaving the barrel. add a "silencer" and we kno whats the effect. plus we don't need to move our entire arm just to pull a bolt back, vs. in a gas, all one would have to do is move their finger

4. accuracy- with out the piston hitting the cylinder head, there are no vibrations

arnt hpa rigs pretty pricey? few hundred dollars extra?

also when comparing spring's to gas with internal mags shooting green gas. the spring still seems to be more consistant, unless u spend the extra cash on the hpa rig but you do make an excellent point when saying without the huge spring hitting you're less prone to moving your barrel, I really liked the tanaka I had before, but I never had the cash to go for a hpa rig.

arnt hpa rigs pretty pricey? few hundred dollars extra?

also when comparing spring's to gas with internal mags shooting green gas. the spring still seems to be more consistant, unless u spend the extra cash on the hpa rig but you do make an excellent point when saying without the huge spring hitting you're less prone to moving your barrel, I really liked the tanaka I had before, but I never had the cash to go for a hpa rig.

they are pricey, but the cost of piston, spring guide, and new trigger is a lot more than an HPA rig

It also depends on which platform you want to upgrade from, right? I mean, I could upgrade my Well AW338 (where a new one would cost you about $250, though I got mine for less) with a Madbull barrel and a new bucking and nub (already did both to mine) for about $40-50, and then an air rig would cost about $150 including a tank, so, the new price for that particular gas system with all the upgrades you really need comes to about $450. You could also go ahead and spend a bunch more and get an EdGI/Prometheus/PDI barrel as well. Even without the air rig, the gun can be reasonably consistent on propane and hit up to about 4.5J (about 700fps with a .20g, though it will only shoot a .20g about 550fps, it's just when you use heavier BBs that the energy goes up). Now, if you want to start with a Tanaka or ARES, you're going to be paying more initially than you'd pay for the fully upgraded Well, or if you wanted a different model of gun, that will change the pricing a bit too. Other variants of guns will have different upgrade paths. You might want to go with a KJW M700 for something which starts about $50 cheaper than a Well AW338, but has a couple other internals that need to be replaced, so it may cost more depending on what needs to be replaced.

Now, how much money would it take to get a spring rifle to shoot at about 4J, or say about 650fps with a .20g? You'd need to start replacing a lot more of the parts, likely including the trigger mechanism, where not all variants necessarily have compatible trigger upgrade assemblies. You also might have more wear and tear on the system when it's shooting that hard. And then, there's the "issue" with the bolt pull. A gas rifle is pretty much always going to have an easier bolt pull.

As I see it, a gas rifle is going to be much easier and cheaper to get shooting harder. Some people might not want or need that capability, so a spring rifle might be perfectly acceptable given the application.

For gas expenses costing more, that also depends. If you're using propane, it's what, like $5-6 for a pair of the propane tanks? And each tank will give you how many shots? I'm not really experienced with spring rifles, but don't the springs eventually lose their power over time as well, especially the heavier ones? And, if so, how many rounds does that take, and how does that compare to how many tanks of propane you could get (or how much it costs to refill a CO2/HPA tank) for that same amount of money as a new spring costs?

The pricing could go either way depending where you start and where you want to go. Looks can push it either direction as well. And, another side thought, but is there any "value" in being able to adjust your velocity to whatever you want, as opposed to being stuck at certain values (unless you go and trim a variety of springs because you want it to be however many fps lower than the spring you bought gives)? I mean, if you want your rifle to be able to shoot at say 3 different velocities, you're going to spend how much money on the springs, and how does that compare to the $150 for an air rig?

You also need to figure where you are going to fill your HPA tank. Not all fields will have a fill station for you, in which case you will need a SCUBA tank, or something of the like. A SCUBA tank, 88 cubic foot with K valve, yoke, hoses, and fittings will cost around another $300 or so, depending on what brand and what not you choose.

And you also have to look at a regulator cap. The same thing that is needed for the tourny paintball guys use. This makes sure that you can't change the PSI durring a game. And these can add to the price as well, again depending on what style you get. I know alot of places that will only alow you to use a gas run gun if you have this lock on it.

So yes there is a little bit more to it. The thing with spring.... is you don't need to worry about a gas. If you have rounds in the mag then you are good to go. One less thing you have to worry about.

I'm currently upgrading a WELL L96 and I'm buying a new spring, spring guide, piston, trigger sear, barrel and a new firefly hop up for under $200. Plus spring sniper rifles are consistant in all weather. I'd go with a spring rifle since they are easier to upgrade and better out of the box.

You also need to figure where you are going to fill your HPA tank. Not all fields will have a fill station for you, in which case you will need a SCUBA tank, or something of the like. A SCUBA tank, 88 cubic foot with K valve, yoke, hoses, and fittings will cost around another $300 or so, depending on what brand and what not you choose.

And you also have to look at a regulator cap. The same thing that is needed for the tourny paintball guys use. This makes sure that you can't change the PSI durring a game. And these can add to the price as well, again depending on what style you get. I know alot of places that will only alow you to use a gas run gun if you have this lock on it.

So yes there is a little bit more to it. The thing with spring.... is you don't need to worry about a gas. If you have rounds in the mag then you are good to go. One less thing you have to worry about.

yeah ive thought about that, thats why if im going for gas (I have a jewish friend thats still waiting for his Hanukkah money and wants to buy my sniper rifle) I would go with Co2. Nice and cheap and always available

Don't forget practicality, in mass the weather isn't always...stable, and my friends gas guns are always messed from day to day with. Also our fall/winter is pretty long getting to the mid 10's sometimes so a spring is great for me, it is extremely consistent, and my rifle is only around 350$ in and im only planning on spending another 250$ on it so, price isn't that bad for a sniper rifle 600$. this is with a polarstar piston, prommy barrel, systema bucking, scs, sp 150 spring, and trigger assmebly. So it really isnt that bad as is because without the piston, with a wayyy to strong spring (600 ish I have herd from my friend) and my stock sears (haven't broke after 1k rounds),and madbull barrel I'm getting head shots at 50 yards. Also I don't even really need a new trigger set. So I don't know about price, it all depends on how good u r with prices :a-shocked:

Edited by mtd3w

It's always gas vs. spring... But what about electric?

There has to be an electric semi-automatic sniper out there. Other than the loud noise from the gears, wouldn't that be a pretty good choice?

electric costs, a lot in some cases, and thats a DMR position, not really a sniping position.