dooodstevenn

scopes: fixed zoom vs variable zoom

what are your guys' thoughts on scops? with (say a 4X zoom scope) a fixed zoom, you can still have the magnification and only have to get used to mill dots on ONE zoom and adjust accordingly...how do you guys who use a variable zoom scope adjust to the constant different zooms? or do the majority of you guys just use a fixed zoom scope? I don't see the need for anything more than 4 or 5X zoom for airsoft

I hav a 3-9x zoom scope, but I mainly use the 8-9x powers for plinking, like paper etc. at 50+ yards. Also good for zeroing, making fine adjustments.

how do you adjust to mil dots when everytime you zoom it messes it up? is there a certain pattern? like per ever 1 u go up you double mill dots?

how do you adjust to mil dots when everytime you zoom it messes it up? is there a certain pattern? like per ever 1 u go up you double mill dots?

im pretty sure that mildots are set to be used at highest magnification. in that case, if the scope is 3-9x then use mildots at the 9x magnification. although I would still go with a fixed zoom scope at 4 or 5x magnification.

im pretty sure that mildots are set to be used at highest magnification. in that case, if the scope is 3-9x then use mildots at the 9x magnification. although I would still go with a fixed zoom scope at 4 or 5x magnification.

I am always at 3x zoom, although I can go up to 9. having more then a 4x zoom has its problems.

A) you see farther then you shoot, so you would seemingly always be short lol

B) When you see the person with your eyes, you go to scope in, but the heavy zoom has you staring at trees and you cant find the target.

stick to low zoom my friend.

I agree with greg, with one caveat. Use the higher powers in the field to get smaller targets, etc.

Story Time.

I was in the field, this was my first scenario-type game, and I was using a borrowed l96 (Tux hadn't shipped yet), which was shooting around 550 with a .2, and was a laser with .43s. Anyway. I was with a squad in the start of the game, before I separated, with my spotter, to go and hunt the other team's sniper. There was a guy with a hand sticking out of cover, shooting at our squad. I was the only one with a long range rifle, and we couldn't advance, he didn't have to get cover (so he thought :dev: ). I had to get him. I had a 3-12x scope, and I used the 8x setting to get him, etc.

Moral of the Story;

Variable power is useful sometimes, the option is good to have. It's sort of like a sidearm. ;)

I use a P4 Sniper reticle (very similar to mil-dot), and I found out that for full unit you zoom out (going from 6x to 5x, 5x to 4x, etc.) the units on the reticle are exactly twice of 2 zooms above it.

So if I need to aim up 2 units and left 3 units at 4x zoom, I need to aim up 4 and left 6 units at 6x zoom.

I found this out by zeroing my scope at 2 units leftwards at 3x zoom, and then zoomed in to 4x, 5x, and 6x to see what the damage was. I am not sure if this is for every P4 scope, and I highly doubt it is the same for mil-dot, but that is something to take into consideration...

I'm pretty sure most airsofters use 3-9x scopes, as it is the most common among for airsoft scopes. I have a JG 3-9x 40mm scope on my BAR-10, because it came with the gun. Personally, I want to find a 3 or 4x fixed zoom real steel scope to put on my gun, but it's not high on my priority list so I'm not willing do dish out on one right now.