Old Fogey

Minimum Age For Owning Airsoft Gun -

What do you think should be the minimum age for owning an airsoft gun?  

1,078 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be the minimum age for owning an airsoft gun?

• no limit

I think anyone should have the right to own one. It's not like they're realy deadly! I know they CAN seriously hurt someone, but they're not made for that. The only thing I think is that you shouldn't carry them around on the streets without a case covering them. I had a $200 scarr taken away from me by a cop because I was walking on the streets with it Dx

I had a $200 scarr taken away from me by a cop because I was walking on the streets with it Dx

Erhm, derp derp derp. That's why you don't do that.

Anyways, if I had a son (or sons) and they wanted to play, I think twelve is the appropriate age to allow them to have some sort of a BB gun or an airsoft gun. The level of access they would have to it if they were younger would of course be limited and would need parental supervision while using it.

It's also a lot around the responsibility and maturity of the kid, so sometimes age doesn't really matter.

Edited by Fatboy 589

In New Mexico we can drive at 15 and a half and I feel if you are permitted to handle a car at that age, well :censored2: you better be able to handle a gun (especially a toy gun) with a mature attitude. I think that it should be premitted at that age with a gun safety course required and enforced.

I vote for age 13. I'm 14, and I just started airsoft last year. Even though a lot of the people in my grade are immature about airsoft guns and the sort, I am not. But I don't think I would be into airsoft when I was 10 or 11 really. So at least this would restrict the idiots from getting their own guns before 13.

I voted no limit and I shall provide a valid reason: its all about maturity. lets say an 8 year old is mature enough to handle an airsoft gun (I doubt this would occur though), give him a gun. if at 16, the person is mature enough, then give them a gun. its all from person to person. im 13 and have decent knowledge about airsoft guns (sniper rifles specifically... kinda hazy on AEGS and shotguns) and im mature enough to use one. thats why my parents let me airsoft in the first place. there shouldnt be a limit because its all depended from person to person.

I voted 12 and over for the fact that many kids that are under 12 are usually pretty immature and sometimes very stupid. It doesn't just depend on the maturity but the responsibilty aspect.......Oh and the guy who got his $200 gun taken away from him, well it serves you right for the fact that you could scare a lot people and if the orange tip is off the cop wouldn't know if it was real or not......this applies especially in an urban area.

I think it is impossible to put an age on it. It should be the task of the parents to know whether their child is mature enough at that point.

I don't say there are many, but there are persons from begin twenty who are less mature than another 16yrs old kid.

It's not all about overall maturity neither. I do play airsoft, and to be honest, I do not find myself mature at all (yet). But I respect rules and play in a nice way.

Another reason why too young kids shouldn't being allowed to play airsoft is because it can hurt. Playing with some toddlers who go crying to their mommy (bit exaggerated :p ) when they're hit, are not exactly nice to play with.

Too young kids probably aren't capable of understanding all rules and safety measurements yet.

I say 18. I played paintball on my own property with some friends, and once in awhile some kids I know from not to far away come down to play. One is 16 and one is 17 and I make them both sign waivers when we're playing on my property. I've had 13 and 15 year olds ask me if they can come and play and I won't let them. For one, I'm 22 and feel a little odd playing with kids that much younger than me, and I also don't feel that at that age you're mature enough to handle it.

+1, I Just feel airsoft requires a sense of responsitbility and respect to own and play IMO. Most kids under 18 do not possess this and think the world revolves around them. Remember, I did say most not all, so do not get all defensive children.

I say 18. I played paintball on my own property with some friends, and once in awhile some kids I know from not to far away come down to play. One is 16 and one is 17 and I make them both sign waivers when we're playing on my property. I've had 13 and 15 year olds ask me if they can come and play and I won't let them. For one, I'm 22 and feel a little odd playing with kids that much younger than me, and I also don't feel that at that age you're mature enough to handle it.

Yeah I wouldn't let 8 year olds play with me. But on a sidenote, I am 15, and the rest of my team is between 14-16. We've been playing together since elementary school, and only had a couple of childish people so far. Age does not equal maturity, or toughness for that matter. I may not be as hardcore as some of the other older guys, but me and my partner "squad leader and DM" have spend hundreds of hours practicing maneuvers, sighting in guns, target practice, cqb and field drills, and once went on an all day recon mission "and by all day I mean from morning to nightfall after 8pm. We are serious about playing airsoft, and the fact that we are younger keeps us from playing it with older people, when we probably have spent more time practicing than they do. We do practice together at least once a week for 3 hours or more. And much more personal training alone.

If people would actually do what the law says (have an adult supervising if you are under 18), then I don't think there'd be any real discussion about this law. The problem is when kids are running around on their own without any proper supervision. Yes, I'm sure there are lots of kids out there who are mature to handle an airsoft gun properly (I sure hope that's what people thought of me when I was younger) but I see many many more kids who are just complete idiots.

People may argue that "you can be driving by 16, why can't you own an airsoft gun?", which makes sense on the surface. You also though have to take in mind that these same kids (age 19 and under) get in higher accident rates BY FAR than any other age group. Most people's minds haven't developed enough to adjust to being in constant control (or lack thereof) of a 2,000 lb+ projectile by the age of 16 or so. So this argument when you go a bit deeper into the data falls apart.

Just wondering what you all think.

I think it should be 18, with an exception perhaps down to 16 if someone has a special permit given for passing a safety course.

I think that you should have to take a course/test and carry a license with you but keep the 18 to buy rule

I am 15 and I know how to use a airsoft gun and to be honest some teenagers are quite (putting it blankly) uneducated in airsoft and would shoot them selfs I think you should get tested. so you in a match would get supervised by a martial and gived a licence like a ukara to buy or own airsoft guns. most of the (uneducated) other people might not be arsed to go through the test. + most of them get their parents to buy them for themselfs. if you want to reply privatly email me at bobjoejeff<AT>hotmail.co.uk (I know it is a random email but it is real)

I am 15 and I know how to use a airsoft gun and to be honest some teenagers are quite (putting it blankly) uneducated in airsoft and would shoot them selfs I think you should get tested. so you in a match would get supervised by a martial and gived a licence like a ukara to buy or own airsoft guns. most of the (uneducated) other people might not be arsed to go through the test. + most of them get their parents to buy them for themselfs. if you want to reply privatly email me at bobjoejeff<AT>hotmail.co.uk (I know it is a random email but it is real)

You make a really good point in that. Being tested & given a license seems appropriate.

...most of them get their parents to buy them for themselves...
I feel quite strongly about this. I have to do chores to earn any money whatsoever, either that or earn it in the ol' report card, $10 an A, $5 a B, and probably into the negatives once we get to D's and F's, lol. While I'm doing this my friends are having everything bought for them. One got an M4 with an RIS (Didn't tell me the manufacturer), and the other an AK (An Echo 1, I think). They both can act a little spoiled and the one with the M4 is really competitive, whenever I mention a gun I'm eyeing at, he'll start saying he has the money to get it. Well, of course he does! He's got 800 *expletive* dollars...

You make a really good point in that. Being tested & given a license seems appropriate. I feel quite strongly about this. I have to do chores to earn any money whatsoever, either that or earn it in the ol' report card, $10 an A, $5 a B, and probably into the negatives once we get to D's and F's, lol. While I'm doing this my friends are having everything bought for them. One got an M4 with an RIS (Didn't tell me the manufacturer), and the other an AK (An Echo 1, I think). They both can act a little spoiled and the one with the M4 is really competitive, whenever I mention a gun I'm eyeing at, he'll start saying he has the money to get it. Well, of course he does! He's got 800 *expletive* dollars...

lol I never got paid for doing chores or getting A's on my report card. That was just expected. I had to find other ways to earn money, (such as a paper route).

Age limit should probably be 12, if they are intelligent enough. Although I have met some amazingly intelligent little kids who were probably capable of playing, but I'd feel bad shooting them lol.

Edited by Airsim14

lol I never got paid for doing chores or getting A's on my report card. That was just expected. I had to find other ways to earn money, (such as a paper route).

Age limit should probably be 12, if they are intelligent enough. Although I have met some amazingly intelligent little kids who were probably capable of playing, but I'd feel bad shooting them lol.

You make me feel spoiled :< lol

It really depends. I think I got my first aeg around 12 or maybe before. Since I was 9 I had springers. I never had parental supervision while using them, because I simply did not need it. I am just a responsible kid and I know the importance in safety. But on the other hand, some kids may need supervision their whole life. It really depends. Im now 16 and I have, well, many guns. I do a lot of shooting by myself and with instructors. My yard is now a airsoft training area lol.

Bottom line, it depends.

I like the whole permit Idea. I would say age you can get it is 15 1/2 for permit. 16 for Liscense. WHats the difference? Permit allows you to play in games with friends guns, Rental guns, etc. And Liscense gives you full control. Much like a drivers liscense. Of course, you woulld have to go through REAL STEEL gun training to make sure that everyone is completely safe.

As for being unsafe and getting liscense revoked, I would rather have them get fined or have tickets issued. If you fail to pay the money, Liscense is revoked until money is payed and the gun that was used is locked up (by police or whoever) until fine is payed. Things liek having black tip DO NOT MATTER as orange tips only need to be on the gun for shipping and sale of the gun. Brandishing the gun in public should be a warning with the gun being destroyed (or sold) but things like brandishing it for a movie should have NO consiquences so long as the party who is shooting the movie (film) has told everyone in the area that they are going to be using REPLICA firearms to shoot a film. Safty glasses comming off should be a ticket with a fine. If you get charged with the same offense 3 times in a year, your liscense is revoked for 6 monhs until and you have to get your permit again and then pay for the liscense. Playing without a permit/liscense will be a 6 month wait until you can apply for one. If found playing again, a fine of possibly $500. Selling an Airsoft gun to a person WITHOUT a liscense is an IMIDIATE 1 year suspenssion. (maybe even more) And Anyone that owns Airsoft guns without a liscense will be banned for a year aswell. (banned meaning they will have to wait a year.)

Maybe something like that would make this sport be more REAL with REAL consiquences and this way, we won't have kids running around giving airsoft a bad name.

13 to own if you have had experience with any type of firearm, be it airsoft or real, and know how to be safe. A game of 20Q would solve that.

People are doubting minors. And that's mean. Unless they're 12.

I'd go with lower ages, but honestly, I'd make the parent have to sign a form making sure that they are also in part responsible for the irresponsible actions their children may partake in, and to assure that they will make sure to provide safety equipment and make sure the guns are used legally. I'd say at 16 kids can be trusted with it, but with the same things made aware to them, and at an age lower than 13, there should be parental guidance, as in close parental guidance, during the game. But honestly, I think it just has to be made well aware what is safe for eye protection, and where it is safe to play at.

Can someone please tell me why this thread was revived? There are plenty of other posts that already show the same concern that you guys have stated as well as problems with it.

18+, no exceptions.

Says the pseudo 'BOSSMAN' toting around a heavy handed age policy- that is the very soul of maturity; prejudgements based on age...

Says the pseudo 'BOSSMAN' toting around a heavy handed age policy- that is the very soul of maturity; prejudgements based on age...

Heh, yeah. Explains a lot.

More like experience bud. Been in this game for awhile and I have my reasons. I also worked at our local shop for 8 months and I definitely stand by what I posted.

More like experience bud. Been in this game for awhile and I have my reasons. I also worked at our local shop for 8 months and I definitely stand by what I posted.

Not all children are created equal dude.

Not all children are created equal dude.

Very true Coyote, but with all of the instances and events I have encountered and endured, you are not going to get me to change my mind anytime soon.

I and my buddy plan on taking his little nephews and brothers to play with us this year, but does that mean my view has changed, nope. It also is a void issue since they do not own any airsoft guns, but are only going to play with them. Playing and owning airsoft are two entirely different concepts. Just remember we are all entitled to our own opinions. Do you see me slandering or badgering you guys because of your views on the issue?