to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
sniperx2s

bullet shaped projectiles

For the sake of achieving the kind of tolerances you’re talking about, you’re going to have to lathe the bullet completely, or have a CNC made mold.

So if I were going to try and do this, I wouldn’t even bother using an airsoft barrel. I would probably take a 6 mm rifle barrel and fix that to what would have to be a custom HPA airsoft receiver. You would have to design the magazine from the ground up, unless you were doing a single shot bolt action. I suppose you could use spring instead of HPA if that were the case, but it would almost certainly have to be an M220 to get enough fps/energy, or perhaps a custom spring.

The chances of getting tight enough tolerances to avoid just having a tumbling projectile are pretty slim, but I bet it could be done.

You could be looking at a cheaper production expense on the guns themselves, as the entire concept of hop up and gets thrown away. That means a rifled one piece barrel fixed directly to the receiver without having to create access to a hop up, accommodate the hop up next to the feeding mechanism, or worry about milling in spaces for the hop up in the inner barrel.

Ammo however would be slightly more expensive a production process. Yes, you can still injection mold it and run it through polishing, you can still run it through the same drop machines that test for thickness consistency, but you’d be using twice the material. One advantage would be the ability to increase the weight dramatically.

You’d also be looking at a significantly more dangerous projectile as getting hit with a pointed bullet means a lot more energy transferred to a lot smaller surface area which equals much greater damage to said point. That could be negated partially by rounding the tip within reason, by doing so would cause a loss of efficiency. Yes, it has been proven time and again that larger projectiles equate to greater safety in fire sports. Surface area and energy transfer.

One other thing to consider is a massive increase in reload times. You now have a one directional projectile. You now have to make sure every single round that goes into your gun is facing the correct direction. For a single shot, no issue. For anyone using a magazine, that could be a real pain! The upside to that is that every bullet then passes through your hands giving you as a user the opportunity to final QC it before it goes into your gun.