Sign in to follow this  
xXHiTMaNXx

Scope Advice?

Hey, my names Josh, and I just ordered a JG Snow Wolf M99-1 Airsoft Sniper Rifle. I was wondering what a good scope for it would be since it doesnt come with one. I was looking at 3-9X40 ones, but was informed that the more you zoom in, it decreases your accuracy. If anyone has a good idea on a scope that has covers, is a decent size and zooms in and out, please tell me. (Also, I have been looking for an Airsoft team for a while, preferably based in Rhode Island, so post for that to if you want me and ill tell you what type of equipment I have). :a-salute:

Edited by xXHiTMaNXx

Well, if the scope is properly zeroed, I don't think it's going to decrease your accuracy any. But, take into though that a 3-9 scope can see further than your bb will go, then again, you can always use the extra magnification to scout.

I've done research on this, and heard the cheapest multi-zoom scope from Airsoftgi will do. 3-9x40 NC Star scope?

This beauty right here sounds like it meets all your needs. I don't know who told you that zooming decreases accuracy. I guess it could look that way since the bb's look like they go off target more due to a closer image. That scope is illuminated, comes with rings and flip-up covers, and probably has a mil-dot reticule.

The Field of View is what diminishes drastically with higher magnification. With a good scope the impact point should not change. But if the scope quality is poor the impact point may drift with different magnification.

I would avoid the NC Star as I have read in some reviews that their impact point may shift, but as in the previous post I would recommend a Leapers (they make UTG). Their scopes are high quality for the price and are made for RS guns. I would recommend you get a 1-4X adjustable scope or something similar. I have a 1.5-4.5 scope and the magnification range is just about perfect for airsoft.

Having a low magnification of 1-1.5 lets you use the scope like a red dot while moving around, and having 4-4.5 is just right for scanning underbrush at the limit of an aeg's range. If your minimum magnification is 3x it makes a much smaller field of view even at its lowest setting.

Leapers illuminated 1-4x scope

Edited by Anachro12

This beauty right here sounds like it meets all your needs. I don't know who told you that zooming decreases accuracy. I guess it could look that way since the bb's look like they go off target more due to a closer image. That scope is illuminated, comes with rings and flip-up covers, and probably has a mil-dot reticule.

The crosshairs do not necessarily indicate the point of impact at 10x when you zero for 3x and vice versa. Hence "zooming in" doesn't increase accuracy but rather can increase the degree to which your point of aim deviates from the "zero point" of the scope.

Consider that you zero at 100 feet at 3x by adjusting the crosshairs a few clicks up and left. Then zoom in 10x to the same target. Unless the scope manufacturer designs the zoom mechanic to operate central to the crosshair X (don't know how to say it otherwise) you might well be turning what appeared to be a very slight difference between the aimpoint and center of grouping into half the length of a crosshair simply by magnifying the view. So now when you put the crosshair on the bullseye you are actually aiming way off to the bottom right.

This can be marginally addressed by zeroing at max zoom. Then the difference between the crosshair X and center of group should get progressively smaller. But "should" and "does" are not necessarily the same thing.

And mildots are only "mildots" at max zoom. You can still use them for hold-over, but you have to remember what mag you have the scope at and how many dots to hold-over for that mag for that range. And they no longer function as rangerfinder tools. On top of that, in order to accomodate the zoom function there are more pieces of glass between the objective and eyepiece. And the more pieces of glass between you and wha you are looking at the more you lose image clarity and image brightness. Which means it takes you longer to tell if that is somebody's back or a tree trunk in the shadow of that bush.

Any zoom-type scope suffers from these issues.

IOW, it is far more reliable/accurate for some people to just use a 4x scope :)

And fixed-power scopes are far simpler, cheaper, and easier to make well. I'd have no problem trusting a $30 4x32 fixed power, but a >$100 3-9x40 is questionably cheap. As in probably not a "good deal" at the end of the day compared to the fixed power.

Variable-power scopes do have their uses and fans, however. Leapers makes decent scopes and the one in Anachro12's link is an economical choice for airsoft if you want variable power. The 30mm tube in that zoom range gives you a better field of view than youd get with the standard 1" tube on most 3-9x40mm scopes. I'd still go with a fixed power 4x32, but for ~$30 each, you can always buy one now and try another kind later without breaking the bank.

Edited by 40oz

Illumination, silly tacticool reticles, and high powers are all unnecessary features for airsoft sniping. For simplicity and mechanical reliability I would recommend a nice fixed low powerrimfire riflescope. These typically have decent eye relief and 50 yard parallax, perfect for typical airsoft applications.

here's my scope for example: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-4x32-rimfire.html

As far as brands go, any company that makes only scopes for real firearms will be absolutely solid (Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, BSA Optics). I've had my gun fall scope first on concrete (not my fault, cheap sling mount broke) and the point of impact didn't even move. Companies that make airsoft riflescopes generally fill them with gimmicks like illumination, silly reticles, and high zooms. These scopes are much weaker and have much poorer lens quality. Go for clarity, simplicity, and repeatability instead.

edit: 40oz nailed it

Edited by Bomb has been planted