Ronin055

6.01 or 6.03 barrel

OK, Number 1 right off the TOP, Please do not tell me about another barrel that I "should" buy if I have the $$. Im not getting a Promy, EDGI or what ever. Im getting a Madbull barrel. Done. Thank you.

The thing is Ive got a Well G96D gas sniper rifle that Im building up. And I ordered a Madbull 6.03 x 650mm barrel from my local vendor on Friday.

Well today (saturday) the tech called me and said that they actually have a 6.01 x 650mm Madbull barrel in stock. I could have that one, or I could wait for the 6.03 to come in this week.

Ive read the debates back and forth about the "air cusion" effect.

So far Ive had great results with my Madbull 6.03 x 509mm barrel in my ASR. Im getting out to about 240 feet at 540fps.

SO. . . does anyone have any hands on experience with Same barrel different bore size? Id love to hear your experience.

Edited by Ronin055

I'd suggest you buy the one you want, not just whatever they have in stock. There is a reason you made the choice you did. If you didn't care you wuldn't have made a conscious choice for a 6.03.

I'm all for buying from your local shop. And it doesn't look like anyone in the US has a MB 6.03 650mm inner in stock except for possibly a PSG-1-only version. So you might want to ask your local shop to inquire with madbull about how long the wait will be, or perhaps source a 6.03 from another maker.

If you are set on a madbull, which for a bolt action sniper rifle I'd never consider putting near my rifle, get the 6.03.

Barrel bore and diameter perform differently for gas guns and BASRs then on AEGs.

Tolerances are key, and that's why I will always recommend EDGI, otherwise you are throwing your money away.

Tobi, what would you say to Prometheus? Is that also throwing away your money? Given than an EdGI is going to cost $120 + shipping (where a Prometheus will be closer to $70), it's in a completely different price bracket than a Madbull, not that it matters, since the OP specifically mentioned that he's going with a Madbull. Some people might rather pay $30 to improve the stock performance to a reasonable level rather than pay possibly 5 times as much to marginally improve that performance. I mean, at what kinds of distances will you necessarily see appreciable gains in performance, and how does that value compare to the typical ranges you'll actually be using the gun at?

As for the 6.01 vs 6.03, what BBs do you plan on using with it, and do you want or need the extra increase in velocity you will inevitably gain by having an even tighter barrel? Also, is the 6.01mm that your local shop has going to cost you $45 compared to the $30 that a 6.03mm would generally run (and would that price difference even matter to you)?

My own personal thoughts on the matter would be that I'd wait for the 6.03mm barrel. If I didn't already have a Madbull 6.03mm in mine, I'd still probably go cheap and spend $30 on a 6.03mm rather than ~$50 for the 6.01mm, especially given the fact that that German barrel test awhile back suggested that the Madbull 6.03mm barrels already run a bit small at about 6.016mm, if I recall. I can only imagine their 6.01mm barrel could be sub-6mm in diameter. Now, if I were exclusively using Bioval .27s (or maybe BB King .32g black BBs) with it, I might spring for the 6.01mm given that the size of the BBs.

I've read a lot of those debates about whether a tighter bore is better or worse, and I don't think I've actually seen any conclusive "proof" one way or the other. It seems to me that it's just a lot of "my gun has this barrel and shoots better than another gun that has this other barrel, so therefore I make a conclusion that agrees or disagrees with PDI's advertisement and an arbitrary graphic someone made to show a theoretical bouncing in a barrel." There might be valid tests mixed in there, but they must just get lost with the bunches of anecdotal evidence that leans one way or the other. And, given the fact that there aren't all that many companies that make more than two different bores so you can reduce as many extra variables as possible (where the only two I can think of would be EdGI and PDI) that you could actually test side by side by side and see if you actually get constantly improving "performance" (however you define performance, since everyone's opinions differ anyway) by widening or tightening the barrel diameter. And, given that these two brands can get expensive if you want to buy 3 barrels of the same length and different bore, I doubt most people would actually test it, and if they did, there will undoubtedly be people who will say that the test was flawed and therefore not valid so therefore the opposite conclusion is true. If you were to do it with EdGI, you're going to run up a $200-350 bill, and with PDI, you'll probably run $200-$450 bill depending on what length you test with, which in itself will probably introduce another variable into the mix.

Anyway, continuing on my thoughts about the barrel choice... I would probably go with the 6.03mm also because I generally think of 6.01mm barrels being used most commonly with guns that have all their other parts tuned such that it's already outputting a very consistent velocity in the first place. That's not really a scientific reason to pick one or the other, but just a mindset. With a stock Well G96, as I'm sure you're aware, you don't have the best velocity consistency with propane. You likely don't even have regular consistency within ±5fps anyway, especially when you consider the difference between your first shot and a quick follow up shot if necessary. Now, if you're waiting sufficiently long between shots, maybe that consistency will improve, but I doubt it would be similar to if you had an air rig. So, unless you're going to also convert it for use with a regulated air source, it's possible that having "too tight" a bore might adversely affect performance, as you might not have consistent enough gas output, so having an even tighter bore could then make velocity swings even greater.

In the end, I went with a Madbull 6.03mm because MAdbull hadn't released their 6.01mm barrel yet. What I said earlier about going cheap and just getting the 6.03mm was only partially true. In reality, when I have the spare funds, I will likely buy a Prometheus barrel for it, and then when more funds are available, I'll get the 6.01mm barrel as well and then basically test all of them, see which is actually best, then leave that one in. The next best will go in my second one, and the other one will probably sit in its packaging, kind of like the stock barrel.

Some other food for thought, but in those frequent debates about bore size, I wonder if anyone has considered if there's a difference regarding the energy level you're shooting. Perhaps, shooting at lower velocities, like say stock TMs might have different results as shooting with a typical 400-450fps AEG, which then could have different results as a 600+fps gun. Now, it's likely that there's a difference between spring powered and propane powered, but maybe there's also something about BB velocity or muzzle energy. And, I mean BB velocity being different from energy because perhaps, if you're shooting a .20g at say 700fps and a .43g at 475fps, which are both about the same energy but drastically different velocities, there might be different results with different bore sizes (disregarding the inherent differences in performance due to the weight of the BB, and also assuming identically sized BBs).

In the end, just pick one and go with it. You'll never know which one is actually better without trying both in your gun. I'm also often of the mindset that it doesn't really matter how something performs in someone else's gun because how it performs in yours will not necessarily be the same. A very simple example of this would be that I've had better performance with AE .25s than with KSC .25s, but there are people who claim to have had the exact opposite results.

TL;DR - Wait, what was the question? Was it if anyone had experience with two barrels from a given company, just with different bores, and if so, how does that necessarily tell you which of the two Madbull barrels to choose? The only way to know which barrel you want is to test both and pick which one to keep in the gun based on the results. That store will likely not let you do so, so flip a coin. :a-grin:

Tobi, what would you say to Prometheus? Is that also throwing away your money? Given than an EdGI is going to cost $120 + shipping (where a Prometheus will be closer to $70), it's in a completely different price bracket than a Madbull, not that it matters, since the OP specifically mentioned that he's going with a Madbull. Some people might rather pay $30 to improve the stock performance to a reasonable level rather than pay possibly 5 times as much to marginally improve that performance. I mean, at what kinds of distances will you necessarily see appreciable gains in performance, and how does that value compare to the typical ranges you'll actually be using the gun at?

A Prommy for a BASR, yes you are throwing your money away. See below

$120+ shipping where in hell did you get that figure? EDGI barrels are around the same price of Prommy barrels. EDGI charges only on length and ported barrels. The only way you would have to spend $120 is if you bought a 650mm plus barrel.

The main point is that, eventually you will want better results, and you will further upgrade, going with the better parts. You always get what you pay for when it comes to BASRs, that's why if you have a small budget I don't recommend anyone even attempting to build the loadout.

I work on a budget and I say Go for it. I hate when people :pain: on cheap stuff. A good player can make any gun work for them. So please Tobi-Kun, let up on the poor people shouldn't snipe ritual.

Remember some people get bent barrels in the mail. I'd go with the 6.01 just because it wouldn't be the least precise part on the gun.

I work on a budget and I say Go for it. I hate when people :pain: on cheap stuff. A good player can make any gun work for them. So please Tobi-Kun, let up on the poor people shouldn't snipe ritual.

Remember some people get bent barrels in the mail. I'd go with the 6.01 just because it wouldn't be the least precise part on the gun.

Nope, not going to do it.

Know why?

I tried that once, I tried to budget myself building my first VSR. Didn't work, and left a bad taste in my mouth for BASRs for about 2 years.

Cheap "stuff" has it's limitations. You get what you pay for, PERIOD!

As far as accuracy goes, Madbulls aren't that bad if your heart is set on them. They're not the best but still not that bad compared to any stock barrel. Just remember that if you do go with a Madbull, you will need to run about 500 - 1k bb's through it to break it in. This is because the hard anodizing which provides a slick surface and protective surface over the aluminum is still rough. If you look inside of a new barrel you will see concentric, even rings running the length from the basic machine polishing. In order to achieve a smooth polished "pattern" a large number of bb's will need to be run through in order to "planish" the inside. You will start to see more consistency when this is done.

Here's a bit more about hard anodizing.

http://www.aplusanodizing.com/what_is_anodizing.html

I would still recommend saving up and getting a quality barrel.

Edited by Brainplay

As far as accuracy goes, Madbulls aren't that bad. They're not the best but still not that bad. Just remember that if you do go with a Madbull, you will need to run about 1k bb's through it to break it in. This is because the hard anodizing which provides a slick surface and protective surface over the aluminum is still rough. If you look inside of a new barrel you will see concentric, even rings running the length from the basic machine polishing. In order to achieve a smooth polished "pattern" a large number of bb's will need to be run through in order to "planish" the inside. You will start to see more consistency when this is done.

Here's a bit more about hard anodizing.

http://www.aplusanodizing.com/what_is_anodizing.html

1k will take a very long time for a BASR, not to mention the wear on all the internal parts, just breaking it in. Again, another reason not to cheap out....

$120+ shipping where in hell did you get that figure? EDGI barrels are around the same price of Prommy barrels. EDGI charges only on length and ported barrels. The only way you would have to spend $120 is if you bought a 650mm plus barrel.

Yes, I got that figure from the fact that the Well G96 takes a 650mm AEG cut barrel. It is listed as $120 on their website. Anyway, what you consider to be trowing away money is just your opinion and not fact. I do not consider the $30 I spent on my Madbull to be money that I just threw away. I mean, the net cost of mine was $150, $200 if you include the scope. I just need to get some time to do some testing with its actual performance at range, and because I will probably never get an EdGI barrel for it, I'll never know how much better it could have been, and I'm okay with that.

Also, 1000 rounds wouldn't be too bad. I mean, you could go and stick it in an AEG and just run a whole bunch of rounds through it in a few minutes before ever putting it into the rifle, right? It's not like it knows whether you're putting rounds through it in your rifle or in a different gun...

Yes, I got that figure from the fact that the Well G96 takes a 650mm AEG cut barrel. It is listed as $120 on their website. Anyway, what you consider to be trowing away money is just your opinion and not fact. I do not consider the $30 I spent on my Madbull to be money that I just threw away. I mean, the net cost of mine was $150, $200 if you include the scope. I just need to get some time to do some testing with its actual performance at range, and because I will probably never get an EdGI barrel for it, I'll never know how much better it could have been, and I'm okay with that.

Also, 1000 rounds wouldn't be too bad. I mean, you could go and stick it in an AEG and just run a whole bunch of rounds through it in a few minutes before ever putting it into the rifle, right? It's not like it knows whether you're putting rounds through it in your rifle or in a different gun...

I never said it was fact, I just don't know anyone who actually takes sniping seriously who wouldn't want the best out of their rifle.

Using it in an AEG is very different. In a BASR the bb travels through the barrel differently. For one most AEGs don't shoot 500 FPS(or at least what most serious snipers have their rifle set to). Second even if they did shoot the same FPS, a BASR has an airtight seal, something an AEG doesn't. In the end it wouldn't make much of a difference, but for a sniper, anything that makes the rifle marginally better is worth doing right.

Hey Tobi, Dude, Knock it off.

I specifically said I didnt want to know about this or that barrel or how much someones opinion of what I should spend on a barrel is or why YOU don't like madbull.

I want to know peoples experience between 6.01 and 6.03. You have successfully turned my thread into a debate about quality of the barrel brand you happen to like.

Dude, stop, seriously. What a total lack or respect and a spetacular display of thread jacking.

Hey Tobi, Dude, Knock it off.

I specifically said I didnt want to know about this or that barrel or how much someones opinion of what I should spend on a barrel is or why YOU don't like madbull.

I want to know peoples experience between 6.01 and 6.03. You have successfully turned my thread into a debate about quality of the barrel brand you happen to like.

Dude, stop, seriously. What a total lack of respect and a spectacular display of thread jacking.

You get what you pay for, sorry that's FACT!!!

As I said before, it has little to do with the bore size, its tolerances. Get both at the same length, and you will see little to no difference.

I'm sorry you don't comprehend.

ok, on my ASR, I have a Madbull 6.03. But thats a springer and I really like the way it functions for the $ Ive got into it. I set out to make a 200ft spring sniper rifle, and I ended up with a 250ft gun.

SO Here I am on my build of the G96D and Im looking to hit that 250 mark again.

I have a madbull barrel and I like it. I don't have unlimited ammounts of money to throw around and Im not looking to be the most awesomeest LEET player on the field.

None of my guns are what would be considered TOP of the line. and I don't care. I play about twice a month from spring to fall and I usually play as a rifleman. But Im getting into the sniper role more and more.

Ive got the opportunity to get that barrel for like 45$, or I could wait and get the 6.03. And so Im stumped. Get the 6.01 and slap it together, or just go and wait for the 6.03. And someone above posted that there is a shortage of the 6.03 x 650mm barrels. So maybe Im just better off with the 6.01 and moving forward.

There is no replacement hop up chamber available, so it kinda is what it is on that respect. But Ive got a fair bucking and a nice H nub, so all I need is a fair barrel and the gun that started out in the boneyard for 99$ could start tagging at a fair distance.

Anyone else know about the diff and effect between 6.01 and 6.03?

None of my guns are what would be considered TOP of the line. and I don't care. I play about twice a month from spring to fall and I usually play as a rifleman. But Im getting into the sniper role more and more.

AS you play it more an more you WILL care, I promise you.

You get what you pay for, sorry that's FACT!!!

As I said before, it has little to do with the bore size, its tolerances. Get both at the same length, and you will see little to no difference.

I'm sorry you don't comprehend.

I really don't care about your opinion. And thats a FACT. Please stay out of my thread if you don't want to contribute to the topic. If you want to debate, and promote your favorite product, then start your own thread.

But really, your opinion isnt welcome here.

Stay on the main topic or leave. You don't HAVE to post, you WANT to.

Please, knock it off.

I really don't care about your opinion. And thats a FACT. Please stay out of my thread if you don't want to contribute to the topic. If you want to debate, and promote your favorite product, then start your own thread.

But really, your opinion isnt welcome here.

Stay on the main topic or leave. You don't HAVE to post, you WANT to.

Please, knock it off.

I'm sorry you still don't understand that I'm trying to help you.

I've been there, I've owned this stuff before and used it allot.

Very little of this is my opinion, eventually you will learn that.

And someone above posted that there is a shortage of the 6.03 x 650mm barrels. So maybe Im just better off with the 6.01 and moving forward.

I've heard the PSG-1 specific barrels will work in a normal AEG, and they just have slight differences to let them fit in the PSG-1 hop up chamber, and I have no idea where 40oz is looking, but there seem to be plenty of places in the US that carry the 6.03mm or supposedly have it in stock. Some of those places with a quick search would include ASGI, Evike, eBay, Airsoft Outlet NW, Fox Airsoft, Parafrog Airsoft, and likely others. I'm pretty sure it's not out of production, so I don't see why there would be a shortage of them, and not that you'd buy from overseas, but other international retailers have them in stock.

Lol.

I will agree with Tobi. You get what you pay for. If you can, get an EdGI. However, your not getting an EdGI, your getting a Madbull.

Ive seen people try a 6.03, and ive tried the 6.01. 6.03 from stock AEGs were like "meh", however in my real sword, the 6.01 was like "Woah, did I really hit that?"

For a bolt action, I have no clue.

I would say since you're not going to get a straight answer from anyone, get both of them. Since they're like $30 a piece, why not? That way you can do your own tests and see which one is better.

Tobi you're a....butt. For lack of "better" forum appropriate word...

Do you even have any experience with allot of different barrels?

I already know I'm an :censored2:, I'll say it. Sometimes it takes being one to get through to people who don't listen, especially when they have little experience on the subject.

I'm going to say this, and then I'm going to be done.

Buy what you want, it's your money.

You ask for advise, I gave you you excellent, money saving advise, even though it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

When in the future you decide you want better results(might even be on a different rifle) and start looking for a better barrel among other things, don't say you weren't told in the first place.

Here's my feelings.

I agree with Tobi 100%. You get what you pay for. That goes for anything in life. So, with that said, I would go with the 6.03. A Madbull barrel will definitely be better than your stock barrel, but as mentioned before, the Madbull doesn't have very good tolerances.

Keep this in mind. Your barrel on your sniper rifle is going to be one of your most important accuracy upgrades....

Goodluck,

Slider993

From what I know, the inner barrel is the most important upgrade you can do to your gun. All other upgrades you want to conform to fit the barrel.

That said, the barrel bore does not matter very much. There is very little difference, but from what I can tell, the difference between a 6.01 and 6.03 are so small that it wouldn't even matter.

Theoretically, a 6.01 will give better compression of air, but not much. You may experience between 1-10 FPS gain if you pick that.

A 6.03, on the other hand, is said to give you better accuracy, due to the BB not bouncing around in the barrel as much.

Now this has never actually been tested before, so I can't say for sure, but the difference (if there IS a difference) would be Range or Accuracy.

Personally, I would go with the 6.03 barrel, just because FPS is very easy to increase with any number of other upgrades, while accuracy is pretty difficult.

Now, I am one of the very few (if anyone) who answered your question directly, however, they are not incorrect in asking you to get another brand. Here is my argument of it, but if you don't care, then you don't need to read it (hence the spoiler tags):

The type of barrel is 10x more important than the bore size. The reason is because the of the material used, the tolerance of the barrel, and the quality of how it was made.

The tolerance of the barrel is the most important part, and even though they are more expensive, PDI/EDGI/Prometheus will ALL have at least twice the quality of tolerance than Madbull.

The material is the next most important. Most barrels are made out of either Brass (stock barrels), Aluminum (poor quality, but better than stock), Chrome (good quality, but not the best), or Steel (the best of the best). Madbulls use Aluminum, which will be very hard on the vibrations, the barrel will be damaged easily, and worst of all, they coat their aluminum will some sort of Anodized coating, which will actually DECREASE quality. Which is worse than Aluminum by itself.

Madbull is also infamous for it's poor quality. Their BBs kill your gun, their pistons break quickly, and in this case, their barrels will have imperfections all throughout their barrel, which will make the BB stray away as soon as it comes out of the barrel.

Now, I can't force you to change your mind. However, I can't in good conscience let you buy it without you knowing that you are wasting money. They say you get what you pay for, but unfortunately you are getting LESS than what the $30 is worth. Go get whichever barrel you want, but don't be surprised if you find it is barely any better than your stock barrel.

Ok...my turn to interpret what tobi is saying......

At the price and quality of Madbull barrels, 6.03 and 6.01 isnt that much of a difference because the quality of the barrel greatly affects the performance more than the inner diameter.

But IF (IF is the keyword here) you choose to upgrade to a better barrel in the future, the quality of the barrels will be pretty much as good as it can get, so the only other factor then in the difference in performance (in barrels that is) is the inner diameter.

Thats my interpretation :D

Edited by Aznspartan

right, no way I'm reading all of this, but an EdGI barrel is not $120, I bought one from him, it's like $70

but with $55 shipping it is a bit pricey

What length did you buy? A 650mm AEG barrel is listed at $120 on his site.

EDGI barrels can be 650mm+ and can run up to $120+

Barrel length is the main factor for price, the only thing that makes it more expensive, is if it's ported or not.

Honestly no one needs anything past 600mm for skirmish airsoft guns.

Speaking of which, I am going to be ordering an edgi barrel soon for my tanaka. Should I get ported or not?

Personally I would for sniper rifles. It doesn't make a big difference, but every little bit helps with sniper rifles.

As for the original topic, I'm having the same issue also. I can't decide between a madbull 6.03 or 6.01

Main difference is, I'm planning on using it in a GBBR DMR that is going to be ran on CO2 only with 3rd-Burst

I'd like to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of the gun, and have used the 6.03 with very good results. Would the upgrade to 6.01 make it even better?

As for the original topic, I'm having the same issue also. I can't decide between a madbull 6.03 or 6.01

Main difference is, I'm planning on using it in a GBBR DMR that is going to be ran on CO2 only with 3rd-Burst

I'd like to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of the gun, and have used the 6.03 with very good results. Would the upgrade to 6.01 make it even better?

That's an entirely different matter all together.

Bore and barrel length will affect your FPS dramatically. Are you looking to keep it under 400, or go over and use it more as a DMR?

Either way, don't get a madbull I mean you can, but it's not going to be your best option for price.

That's an entirely different matter all together.

Bore and barrel length will affect your FPS dramatically. Are you looking to keep it under 400, or go over and use it more as a DMR?

Either way, don't get a madbull I mean you can, but it's not going to be your best option for price.

My field limit is 450w.2's or 400w.25's (unless I can convince my Captain to use the DMR limits)

I'm not too concerned with having to clean my barrel, because I am using CO2, and as long as it doesn't jam up during a day of gameplay I will be happy to clean it once a week

The benefit of going over 400 is that I can tune the NPAS to have a lower FPS and benefit from more recoil

And I'm going with the Madbull because I have the ability to buy them localy and I know they work well

Again, aiming for Accuracy above all else (those 40 rounds don't last very long) and I know you have GBBR experience Tobi, so I would appreciate your input

Edited by TyGuy94920

My field limit is 450w.2's or 400w.25's (unless I can convince my Captain to use the DMR limits)

I'm not too concerned with having to clean my barrel, because I am using CO2, and as long as it doesn't jam up during a day of gameplay I will be happy to clean it once a week

The benefit of going over 400 is that I can tune the NPAS to have a lower FPS and benefit from more recoil

And I'm going with the Madbull because I have the ability to buy them localy and I know they work well

Again, aiming for Accuracy above all else (those 40 rounds don't last very long) and I know you have GBBR experience Tobi, so I would appreciate your input

Don't buy Madbull just because you can get them locally and know they work in AEGs. In GBBRs barrels are VERY different.

If you want the best accuracy for the money get either an EDGI or a Prommy, and stay around the 300mm length mark(regardless if you outer barrel is much longer) or down to 250 if your barrel won't fit 300. The right BBs and Hopup will contribute to accuracy as well, but barrel quality is just as important. The way you are emphasizing on accuracy, $10-15 extra for a better barrel is going to give you that accuracy.

Personally I went with PDI(for my GBBR), but that may be a bit much, and I honestly should have gone with an EDGI.

I'm just going to flat out say it, I don't like madbull barrels, I've used one in an AEG and wasn't impressed with it(the only thing we swapped was the barrel, and it was swapped with a JG barrel). I can only imagine what would happen if we had put it in my GBBR. But like I said above, it's your money buy what you want. I can only give you advise on what I know.

Aside from that, are you using a hopup chamber that accepts AEG barrels? This is important as I'm sure you know GBBR barrels differ greatly, and each system uses it's own design.

To be more specific, what do you have, or what are you going to have for sure?

I think you mistook the beginning of this thread and are now labeling me as someone who doesn't know what they're doing

Yes I am using a hopup that uses AEG barrels. I am also using a Madbull silicone bucking and a SCS.

Why do you recommend staying at the 300mm range? I was going to use a 509mm

Again, in a GBBR is the tighter bore more effective?

I think you mistook the beginning of this thread and are now labeling me as someone who doesn't know what they're doing

Yes I am using a hopup that uses AEG barrels. I am also using a Madbull silicone bucking and a SCS.

Why do you recommend staying at the 300mm range? I was going to use a 509mm

Again, in a GBBR is the tighter bore more effective?

When you said you knew I had experience and wanted my input I thought you may or may not know what you are getting into.

DON'T get a 509, even with an NPAS that's just asking for trouble. Think about what it takes for a TM hi-capa to reach 500FPS marks, they use 7inch barrels, that's only 177.8 millimeters(they don't use NPAS's). 300mm will safely keep you within your fields legal limits, and if you were to push those limits, I wouldn't touch anything past 400mm(I used a 395, but my limits and my build was to have something a little different than what you need).

The NPAS is a very finicky device. During shooting depending on how low/high a setting, and your overall FPS, the NPAS tends to un-adjust itself causing great FPS loss and/or consistency.

I assume from what you are telling me you are using the Magna based gas system(WA)? If so, my advise is to also invest in the NEWEST RA-tech NPAS, it's much more "durable".

To answer the last question. With a proper quality length barrel, to a degree, a tighter barrel is better. Don't go under 6.01mm. I recommend staying around the 300mm mark, at 6.01mm.