Sign in to follow this  
maniacmotomouth

Need help with a sniper rifle

I have 200-250 dollars to spend on a sniper. I was looking at the UTG L96 black ops. Heard a lot of good things about it. I would really like to have something different tho because it seems like ever sniper has an L96. Any other good ideas would be great

200 to 250 dollars will not be enough for you to snipe.

You need at least 600 dollars.

End of story.

200 to 250 dollars will not be enough for you to snipe.

You need at least 600 dollars.

End of story.

Now how about not being so uptight when someone asks a question? That's how flame wars start. Let's keep criticism to a minimum. He asked a question, and you should either answer politely or not at all.

To answer the OPs question, the L96 is a very good starting platform. Notice how I said platform because it is not very good gun compared to upgraded sniper rifles. Instead of focusing on a good gun out of the box, I think you will find it better to get a good platform and upgrade from there. $250 is a good starting price for getting and upgrading a gun.

If you don't want the L96, the only other real option you have for a good platform is a VSR-10 series gun. Here is a good list of things to get:

BAR-10 (Cheap VSR-10 clone that can be upgradable easily)

PDI Raven 6.01 (Can get a 6.03 instead, but Raven parts have pretty good quality for cheap.)

Nineball Bucking (Nice cheap bucking that can dramatically improve consistency over the stock bucking).

The BAR-10 also has a LOT of DIY mods you can do. If you upgrade it right then you can get a good 175-200' consistency. However, it will start getting very expensive after it.

I agree with Neotyguy. one way or another we were also like the OP asking the same question when we were just starting. if you didnt get a good answer before, its not fair to treat newcomers the same way.

anyway, as Neotyguy said, choose a good base gun and start upgrading it by stages depending on your budget.

however, since your just starting on the role, I would suggest that you borrow a friend's sniper rifle first and try the role first. most new airsoft snipers jump head on in getting a rifle and immediately upgrade it then they'll realize that the role is not that fun to play. some get bored and end up selling their rifle and quit the role altogether.

ofcourse it doesnt apply to every new airsoft sniper. you might be one of the exception. still, it would be beneficial for you to try the role first then choose a base rifle that you will upgrade when you decide to get serious with the role.

and while your at it, it would also be a plus if you also study and try to acquire other skills that will help you become an effective sniper like fieldcraft, camouflage, stealth, map reading, land navigation, etc.

hope our little advice will help you in the transition on this new role. happy hunting!

CA or TM make the spring guns everyone copies. You have the budget, get a original. You'll save money at first by starting with good gear.

The BAR-10 is for people who plan on gutting the gun on day 1 or cannot afford a TM/CA. The others are for the rest of the spectrum :) There is no shame in not being able to condone spending $200-250 on a toy gun. You can buy a pretty nice RS .22 for that. (You'll go to jail for shooting your friends with it - minor downside :) )

There are numerous worthy guns besides TM and CA - don't get me wrong. The UTG L96 and M28 are two obvious choices, as are the Echo1 ASR, the SG R700, and numerous others. The list changes daily, it seems. And if you want to go gas, you have a few more choices in your budget.

If you spend $600 on your gun before you are done, good for you. But only a fool would drop $600 on a rifle and parts before buying and shooting their stock gun. Much less before tearing apart and rebuilding their stock gun, clean, oiled, and tightened down. Far better to spend a few hundred bucks max and then shoot, research, and make rational choices. The whole process of buying, tuning, and upgrading is a learning process, not a checkbook.

Edited by 40oz

CA or TM make the spring guns everyone copies. You have the budget, get a original. You'll save money at first by starting with good gear.

The BAR-10 is for people who plan on gutting the gun on day 1 or cannot afford a TM/CA. The others are for the rest of the spectrum :) There is no shame in not being able to condone spending $200-250 on a toy gun. You can buy a pretty nice RS .22 for that. (You'll go to jail for shooting your friends with it - minor downside :) )

There are numerous worthy guns besides TM and CA - don't get me wrong. The UTG L96 and M28 are two obvious choices, as are the Echo1 ASR, the SG R700, and numerous others. The list changes daily, it seems. And if you want to go gas, you have a few more choices in your budget.

If you spend $600 on your gun before you are done, good for you. But only a fool would drop $600 on a rifle and parts before buying and shooting their stock gun. Much less before tearing apart and rebuilding their stock gun, clean, oiled, and tightened down. Far better to spend a few hundred bucks max and then shoot, research, and make rational choices. The whole process of buying, tuning, and upgrading is a learning process, not a checkbook.

sorry for the off topic but I just want to clear some things.

its not that we cannot afford to buy a TM. we just don't see the need to do so. Bar10 users like me just don't see the logic in buying an expensive base rifle like a TM if you can get the same sh*t from a clone. why would I buy an expensive base rifle if ill be upgrading/replacing its whole innards eventually anyway? after a TM is fully upgraded, the only "TM" that will be left in there is probably just the hopup and its stock and outer barrel. I don't think those 3 parts are worth the extra dollars.

it really ticks me off when somebody would immediately say that the "original" is better than the clone without even having personal experience from using a clone.

at the end of the day, when all is said and done, what matters most is getting the job done. be it by using an "original" or a clone...

You can snipe with $125, I can snipe with $125, anyone can snipe with $125, but noone can snipe effectively unless they just straight up are invisible.

There's no way anyone can outrange an AEG with a stock sniper rifle. No way in the world, and the reason we snipe is so we can OUTRANGE. If you can't outrange an AEG, then why make it so you can fire at a .5 ROF, only be able to take out single targets and not groups, and still have the chance of getting way outgunned by an AEG since you're close in their range. Why not just get an AEG if you want to be that close? At least you have the chance of taking the guy out and more, suppress enemies, and have a chance to bail out, instead of having guys see you, maybe have one of them getting taken out, and then having the rest of the group charge you while you have no way to keep them under cover so you can bail, and getting your butt lit up since your nicely in their range.

In order to outrange... you need a minimum amount of parts. A TBB, good amount of fps, and good hop up. You need at least 200 ft. range. Many guns come with good fps, and a decent hop, but those 2 alone will only get you maybe 150 ft. A good TBB costs about $80, a better one about $100. A gun costs $100-150. On top of that, there's maintenence problems. With the type-10's, specifically slam firing, which WILL happen. So new sears to replace the stock crap cost $50. In the Type-96's, the hop up sucks because the arm breaks incredibly easily, so there's really no choice but to get a new chamber or reinforce the old. New chamber's are $60 (if you're thinking HP, don't forget shipping), then you'll need a new bucking as well. That's already $300 at minimum, and you may be shooting 200 ft. That's the straight up minimum for an effective GUN alone. Then there's scopes, which are $40 for a cheap one, sniper grade ammo like Bioval which is $20-something, and maybe some extra mags for like $10. You're near $400 if you want to play the role.

That's only for the MINIMUM. If you want to get more range, you'll need more consistent, perfect airseal, meaning a new piston, push 500 fps, which means new spring, and at such a hot spring, you'll need a new spring guide. You'll need maybe even a new trigger or higher quality sears, and you'll need to put in hours of work for things like ABB rings, spacers, etc. That puts you near $600.

That was just a brief explanation. There's many details I didn't include. Straight up, basically, unless you have money, you can't buy good parts, and without good parts, you can't outrange, and if you can't outrange, there's no point crippling yourself with a springer while going up against AEG's.

I mean, I understand if you're PLANNING on upgrading over time, that's just fine. If you're doing that, I can be one of the most helpful guys around. But TOO MANY, and I mean WWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too many, people I know get sniper rifles, thinking they'll kick butt since they have a scope and a bit more fps, and once they don't see immediate results with their stock guns they dumped a good amount of money in and end up getting lit up by guys with Wal-Mart Crosman's, they drop and get an AEG. They don't understand a sniper rifle needs its parts to function. No matter what anyone wants to say, they can't deny that if anybody runs out with a stock L96 or a stock Bar-10, they'll have a slim chance of survival, unless they're straight up invisible like I said.

its not that we cannot afford to buy a TM. we just don't see the need to do so. Bar10 users like me just don't see the logic in buying an expensive base rifle like a TM if you can get the same sh*t from a clone. why would I buy an expensive base rifle if ill be upgrading/replacing its whole innards eventually anyway? after a TM is fully upgraded, the only "TM" that will be left in there is probably just the hopup and its stock and outer barrel. I don't think those 3 parts are worth the extra dollars.

it really ticks me off when somebody would immediately say that the "original" is better than the clone without even having personal experience from using a clone.

at the end of the day, when all is said and done, what matters most is getting the job done. be it by using an "original" or a clone...

I think you understood what I was saying but argued as if I didn't understand your position.

If a person isn't planning on upgrading and has the budget, why buy a clone? You said yourself "why buy the original if I'm going to be upgrading?" I just said it the other way - buy the original unless you KNOW you are going to be upgrading. Does that make sense?

The difference is a hundred bucks. You can make that back selling your stock TM/CA to someone with a BAR-10 wanting a new stock, outer barrel, and TM hop-up. When you decide you don't like the role.

I own a clone because I didn't want to spend real steel money on a "toy gun." It's not so much I didn't have the money for a TM or CA, it's that I couldn't condone spending the money. I know I am not alone in that regard, and I said as much in my post.

And obviously the original is better than the cheaper clone, otherwise the clone wouldn't be cheaper and you wouldn't buy with the intention of gutting it and rebuilding it before you even took delivery. How much is an upgraded stock? More than the price difference between a TM and clone. How much is a new outer barrel? More than the price difference. And you get the better TM hopup thrown in. The economics for clones are a hard sell if you care at all for the externals that you look at and hold in your hands every time you use the gun. Hard to argue they are non-relevant, IMHO, when they are how you interface with the weapon.

It's not an argument. I was not trying to piss people off. I was trying to suggest that unless the OP had owned and upgraded a spring airsoft rifle before and knew what upgrades they wanted, a TM/CA was probably a better use of money than a BAR-10.

Edited by 40oz

I have 200-250 dollars to spend on a sniper. I was looking at the UTG L96 black ops. Heard a lot of good things about it. I would really like to have something different tho because it seems like ever sniper has an L96. Any other good ideas would be great

I would recommend the CA m24 civilian. having held one myself, its a SOLID rifle. it's high FPS stock means that you can use heavier gram BB's as opposed to bar-10's where their low FPS means the most you can use is a .28. also, the CA m24 comes with an AEG cut barrel thats 509MM long, the standard m16 length barrel, which means if you want a little bit more accuracy, all you need to do is by a Madbull 6.03 barrel which isnt very expensive. the ca M24 is 220 dollars I think, and the madbull is like 30-40 dollars so you might go a little bit over your budget. listen, you do need to spend around 600-800 dollars if you are REALLY serious about sniping, but it isnt necessary. the easiest way to think about it is a power drill vs. a screw driver. one gets the job faster, but the other one still gets the job done, but it takes more effort. if you are just doing some fixing up around the house, a screw driver will suffice, but if you a doing professional remodeling of an entire house, you will certainly want a drill. granted, with enough time and effort, you can still get the job done with a screw driver. remember, the sniper rifle is just like the drill and screw driver. you can definitely snipe effectively with a DIY sniper rifle, it just takes more time and effort. remember that the sniper rifle is just a tool. what makes a sniper effective isnt his rifle, but his skill. it doesnt matter if you have the best power drill in the world, you cant use it if you don't kno how to plug it in.

snipe calm yourself my man, im sure no one meant offense. TM or clones either way its personal preference. Its like the parts my family and I make for our rc cars. they are all billet aluminum, they cost a pretty penny but are much higher, stronger and better than the cloned version of our parts. Im not saying its true for all clones of any type, but generally the clones are of worse and cheaper quality.

That was just a brief explanation. There's many details I didn't include. Straight up, basically, unless you have money, you can't buy good parts, and without good parts, you can't outrange, and if you can't outrange, there's no point crippling yourself with a springer while going up against AEG's.

the point of using a stock bolt action against AEG's is to save money

I think you understood what I was saying but argued as if I didn't understand your position.

If a person isn't planning on upgrading and has the budget, why buy a clone? You said yourself "why buy the original if I'm going to be upgrading?" I just said it the other way - buy the original unless you KNOW you are going to be upgrading. Does that make sense?

The difference is a hundred bucks. You can make that back selling your stock TM/CA to someone with a BAR-10 wanting a new stock, outer barrel, and TM hop-up. When you decide you don't like the role.

I own a clone because I didn't want to spend real steel money on a "toy gun." It's not so much I didn't have the money for a TM or CA, it's that I couldn't condone spending the money. I know I am not alone in that regard, and I said as much in my post.

And obviously the original is better than the cheaper clone, otherwise the clone wouldn't be cheaper and you wouldn't buy with the intention of gutting it and rebuilding it before you even took delivery. How much is an upgraded stock? More than the price difference between a TM and clone. How much is a new outer barrel? More than the price difference. And you get the better TM hopup thrown in. The economics for clones are a hard sell if you care at all for the externals that you look at and hold in your hands every time you use the gun. Hard to argue they are non-relevant, IMHO, when they are how you interface with the weapon.

It's not an argument. I was not trying to piss people off. I was trying to suggest that unless the OP had owned and upgraded a spring airsoft rifle before and knew what upgrades they wanted, a TM/CA was probably a better use of money than a BAR-10.

point taken bro.

its just that, for beginners, buying a more costly "original" may be a waste of money in the long run if they would quit the role in the end. more often than not, atleast here in the Philippines, new airsoft snipers would immediately buy a rifle and upgrade it insanely only to end up selling it at less than half its price afterwards. that is why I always advice them to try the role first by borrwing a friend's rifle then decide which route they will choose. I just don't want them to experience what I have experienced when I was starting.

anyway, you get my point, I get your point. and you've own a clone. I guess that settles it. in the end, whatever we tell the OP its still his decision which route to take... :a-wink:

the point of using a stock bolt action against AEG's is to save money. no money spent on a battery and charger, and less spent on bbs

http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=27598

Comes with battery and charger. BBs cost like $10 and one bag will last the average person at least a few days of playing. This gun will also shoot better than any Sniper rifle under $175 and it only cost $120 after discounts.

(I recommend this gun BTW if you are on a budget) I have nothing against sniper rifles. I just think everyone should start with an AEG...

Edited by -JOE-

1.JG Bar10 $150

2.Bioshot 4k .30gram bb's $16

3.Nineball bucking $20

4.Edgi Inner bull tightbore barrel $90 (I think that's the price)

Total: Approximately $300 with shipping/tax

That will give you around 200 or so feet of range. Then, once your sears break, which they will, get either Deepfire sears, P* sears, or an entire trigger box if you want.

If you can't try the role because none of your friends have a BASR, then just get the rifle and the bb's. Then if you like the role upgrade after.

the point of using a stock bolt action against AEG's is to save money. no money spent on a battery and charger, and less spent on bbs

Thank you for being logical.

I think everyone's first guns should be AEG's. The fact is that sniper rifles require PATIENCE to use. I am known to be the most patient person ever in airsoft. I play with guys in our neighborhood by this huge plot of woodland forest in the middle of nowhere, really nice place. I made them quit because they couldn't find me, and I would always pick one of them off, bail the frick out, go stealth, and make them super angry because now I'll be hiding for another 20 minutes.

I don't expect any newcomer to ever do that. I couldn't do it as a newcomer until I realized I have a thing where I, for some reason, can never hit anyone with an automatic gun, and am very trigger happy with one as well. Hehehe. It's all a learning process. Then I tried just hiding.... found my place in airsoft. You got to find your niche, and that depends on the type of person you are. But it's always better to start off on an AEG because that's where the majority of the people are and are more comfortable with.