Sign in to follow this  
shlunka

Portable Skirmish fort

Okay, in the woodland areas around my house there are very few large areas of cover, mostly small Poplar trees only big enough for one person. And the other areas are simply fields and a large creek area. So, to save time from having to build a fort and have to take it down when hunting season is in and we have to take a break from airsoft, I built a portable one. It's not easy to carry, around 50-70 pounds. Made from large peices of leftover wood from when I helped build a chicken house. The lengh of the boards is roughly 5ft, all of which are connected by hinges and are foldable, and each have a height ranging from 18-40inches. There are three main pieces 5ft long, on one of them is two 18" by 18" fold up shields for the support gunner. It has 4 poles on it, these are about 4-5feet from the ground tall, and are used to tie a camo tarp on for the roof. The tarp also provides moderate protection and leaves about 6-12inches of space for a bb to find it's way through. This "portable fort" provides complete protection for about 180 degrees, and unless you were flanked, is pretty much impervious to bb's unless an unseen skilled player could get a shot through the open space. You are probably interested in how it is carried. This model can be carried via two slings, it also locks onto a push mower with no engine and you can wheel it around. If you were strong enough, you could easily carry it in the field and set up a base of operations wherever and whenever you needed it. But, do you guys think that it will be accepted at an airsoft arena? Keep in mind it is quite heavy and will soon be painted a woodland camo.

Edited by shlunka

Pics please.

Anyway, would it be accepted at an arena? If you mean bring your own fort, then no. I don't think they'll let you bring it in, but for personal use, yes. You mention taking a break from airsoft for hunting season? You mean people hunt on your land? If they don't have your permission, kick them out, and surround the playing field with blaze orange tape. Also, in some areas it is illegal to hunt on sundays, so check your state and local laws, to see if it's safe to play on sunday. Or do you hunt and just take a break because of hunting? If so, you can still hunt and play airsoft at different times. Just some thoughts.

Yes I do hunt, and so does the rest of my family. So on hunting season it is unsafe to go in the woods. I also don't hunt on sundays. Nobody that I know of hunts on there that isn't supposed to. I'll have some pics when I finish it in a week or so. So far only the base is together. The woods I'm talking about is 400-600 acres, and most of it is family, but the rest is owned by friends. It's not necessarily "my land" as it belongs to 3 generations of my family, we just use it for weekend airsofting.

You mention taking a break from airsoft for hunting season? You mean people hunt on your land? If they don't have your permission, kick them out, and surround the playing field with blaze orange tape.

Bullets and buckshot don't stop at property lines. Most of the fields in my area close during hunting season for that reason. (And the field owners and many players are usually out hunting as well.)

Edited by WeeGee

What WeeGee says is true, but also the risk does decrease. If there is a deer on your side of the property and they see the orange tape, they can't shoot it because it's on your land, correct? Also, most people won't go onto your land (and if they do, they can be prosecuted for trespassing). The only real dangers are poachers and stray rounds. However, I would either wear blaze orange or just play on sunday. Now, I know people will be like "It'll decrease my ability to be stealthy." Well, would you rather be DEAD!? Safety first!

What WeeGee says is true, but also the risk does decrease. If there is a deer on your side of the property and they see the orange tape, they can't shoot it because it's on your land, correct? Also, most people won't go onto your land (and if they do, they can be prosecuted for trespassing). The only real dangers are poachers and stray rounds. However, I would either wear blaze orange or just play on sunday. Now, I know people will be like "It'll decrease my ability to be stealthy." Well, would you rather be DEAD!? Safety first!

That would work great, but where I live there are alot of disrespectful law-breaking rednecks around that hunt on sundays and road hunt, and also trespass, we actually caught one last year on our property. In fact, within 1000 yards from my house, someone was shot and killed in a hunting accident. People over here completely disregard the land owners property, Iv'e also had one of my airsoft target dummies ran over with a four wheeler on my grandfather's land, and I know who did it too. But, I'll have some pics of the fort in a few days, the builds going slow because of poor weather and long hours of school.

Opsic, what do you mean? It seems like a completely practical idea to play on his own land. Protable, stable, seems like it would work to me. Now, playing is different, but the fort itself seems like a good idea.

That would work great, but where I live there are alot of disrespectful law-breaking rednecks around that hunt on sundays and road hunt, and also trespass, we actually caught one last year on our property.

+1 to this. I am surrounded by disrespectful law-breaking rednecks. We caught a guy last summer on our shooting range and when we asked him what he was doing he just made a grunt and drove off. I now attend a field which is much better. Shlunka I'm not quite sure if your arena will allow a portable means of cover, but I do know mine does. There was a dude last year that literally was carrying a tent/mini-fort on his back. Probably one of the fattest fellows I've seen in my lifetime too. Good luck!

That would work great, but where I live there are alot of disrespectful law-breaking rednecks around that hunt on sundays and road hunt, and also trespass, we actually caught one last year on our property. In fact, within 1000 yards from my house, someone was shot and killed in a hunting accident. People over here completely disregard the land owners property, Iv'e also had one of my airsoft target dummies ran over with a four wheeler on my grandfather's land, and I know who did it too. But, I'll have some pics of the fort in a few days, the builds going slow because of poor weather and long hours of school.

Alright, then I can understand why you don't play durring hunting season, good idea too. If somebody was killed on your property (or near it) then it seems pretty dangerous.

The fort sounds good, but it obviously depends on the site whether they will allow you to use it.

As far as airsoft during hunting season, where I live you have to wear blaze orange if you are in the woods, whether you are hunting or not. And if you are in the woods or a field in camoflage carrying a gun without a hunting license or orange hat and vest, you are going to get your gun confiscated and a huge fine. Has zero to do with considerate neighbors or colored tape. Has to do with hunting regulations. And common sense.