Sign in to follow this  
Kemp

Ghillie Question

So I'm planning on building my own ghillie suit, and thought I had it all set out. I was going to build a full ghille suit, until I read how difficult it was to low crawl with a full suit on. So after watching a video with a few different types of ghillie suits on it, I thought about making a different kind of ghillie. Instead of a full suit, or just a poncho type, why not combine them? I was thinking about using a ghillie that covers about half my chest, and on the back, covers all the way down to my feet. I want to wear normal BDUs and make the entire thing out of netting. That way, it would slip over me, and would be much easier to remove. Any ideas if this would work? I also need some ideas for supplies too. I want to find a woodland camo flight suit to go under the ghillie, so I'm looking right now. Anything else I should consider?

The only ghillies that are hard to crawl in are the ones that have ghillie on the front, which is kinda dumb because you should always be prone in the presence of bad guys. If you have a suit that has ghillie on the back but nothing or (recommended) has pads on the front, then you shouldn't have a problem with crawling. If you want a quick remove thing you could always make a ghillie blanket, so you get into your position and put it over yourself, and when it's safe just roll it up and put it in a GP pouch or buttpack. Personally my ghille is BDU's with Ghillie on the back and wool with canvas on top on the front, so comfy you could fall asleep in your firing position, also don't put any material on your arms, it is awkward and will twist your sleeve and you cant use a sling or shoulder strap.