Sign in to follow this  
dragunov123

airsoft barrel argument

ok someone told me a 650mm 6.03 bore barrel will not perform as well as a 590mm 6.03 bore barrel. they say a barrel can be TOO long...

is this possible? if so how and why does the 650 perform less accuratly then a 590. will the longer barrel lower my fps?

ok someone told me a 650mm 6.03 bore barrel will not perform as well as a 590mm 6.03 bore barrel. they say a barrel can be TOO long...

is this possible? if so how and why does the 650 perform less accuratly then a 590. will the longer barrel lower my fps?

That depends on your gun, honestly. Most guns don't have the capability to force a BB through the whole 650mm barrel and still maintain range and accuracy.

An example of this would be something like the Real Sword SVD Dragunov - the barrel is 690mm long, so the company had to make a special type of gearbox just to get the BB to keep going because most guns of it's type aren't capable of doing that unless they are heavily upgraded.

It'd be a lot easier for the members here at ASF to help you with your problem if you said what type of replica you own and the upgrades that are associated with it. I know you are probably talking about your A&K Dragunov, but I can't be completely sure.

Edited by Admiral*Fury

That depends on your gun, honestly. Most guns don't have the capability to force a BB through the whole 650mm barrel and still maintain range and accuracy.

An example of this would be something like the Real Sword SVD Dragunov - the barrel is 690mm long, so the company had to make a special type of gearbox just to get the BB to keep going because most guns of it's type aren't capable of doing that unless they are heavily upgraded.

It'd be a lot easier for the members here at ASF to help you with your problem if you said what type of replica you own and the upgrades that are associated with it. I know you are probably talking about your A&K Dragunov, but I can't be completely sure.

yes A&K dragonuve and I added washers to my spring guide to make like 490+ fps. I use .25 gram bbs with the stock bucking. some say with light ammo and little hop up it shuld work

I think I have enought power to get the bb through the barrel.

yes A&K dragonuve and I added washers to my spring guide to make like 490+ fps. I use .25 gram bbs with the stock bucking. some say with light ammo and little hop up it shuld work

I think I have enought power to get the bb through the barrel.

Take a look at this

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Barrel-L...Af-t152887.html

I don't think the extra 60mm would really help, unless you want to put a short little mock suppressor on the end.

Take a look at this

I don't think the extra 60mm would really help, unless you want to put a short little mock suppressor on the end.

wow that is very very intresting... however it doesnt proove a barrel can be too long. being a longer barrel increases fps I think I should go with the 650mm then.

it depends on the cylinder-barrel air ratio. if a cylinder has the capacity to push a BB out of a 650 mm barrel, then, no it will not decrease the FPS. barrel length does not determine accuracy. its all about the quality and tolerance

it depends on the cylinder-barrel air ratio. if a cylinder has the capacity to push a BB out of a 650 mm barrel, then, no it will not decrease the FPS. barrel length does not determine accuracy. its all about the quality and tolerance

how can I measure my cylinder-barrel air ratio. I know im pushin at least 490 fps if that helps.

how can I measure my cylinder-barrel air ratio. I know im pushin at least 490 fps if that helps.

well after a little research I decided to get a bravo steel 6.03 550mm barrel. steel will last longer and I figured why risk a 650mm that will portrude into my flash hider so ah well.

does bravo make good steel barrels?

When I bought my Ares CheyTac M200 had a 800mm 6.08 I think with bad results so I went and put in there a Deep Fire 800mm 6.03 tbb ... Well it has improved the accuracy at mid distances (40-60m) and has increased the range but on long distances ( more than 80m) I'm not so sure.

George

Long story short, you need to fill the volume of air of the barrel with the volume of air from the cylinder. If you have less volumen in the cyl than the barrel, then, you will have problems.

And not all the air from the cyl go to the barrel, so keep in mind that have the Cyl. Volume close to that of the barrel is a risky bet.

well after a little research I decided to get a bravo steel 6.03 550mm barrel. steel will last longer and I figured why risk a 650mm that will portrude into my flash hider so ah well.

does bravo make good steel barrels?

I would go with an EdGI. You can get a custom length barrel with very good tolerances. The only people who beat EdGI is PDI, but you can't get custom barrels from them (at least I don't think so...)

Here's a simple little trick to check to see if you barrel is too long.

1. Find a Compression Tester. This is basically a pressure gauges with a rubber nib attached so you can fit it to a hole and test the pressure.

2. Make sure you have no bb's in your gun. Dry fire it just to be sure.

3. Fit the compression tester to the muzzle of your barrel, must be the actual muzzle, not the flash hider. If you can get it to the muzzle of the inner barrel, that is ideal.

4. Fire one shot. This should give a reading. The ideal pressure to see would be two atmospheres, about 29.3 psi total at sea level. The compression tester will give a pique reading. Press the nib to release pressure once read.

You want two atmospheres of pressure because you are measuring the air that would be in front of the bb and behind it. With too much pressure there will be more push behind the bb after it has left the barrel, resulting in turbulence and messing with backspin. Too little pressure and there will be a vacuum behind the bb before it leaves the barrel resulting in deceleration and messing with backspin.

With this test you do not have to worry about the volume of anything. Ported inner barrels will not give a proper reading but are not as effected by this problem as barrels without ports. This test should be repeated and the results averaged.

EDIT: I'm not getting into the barrel length/ accuracy argument.

Edited by The Last Mohawk

There are two conflicting limits on barrel length. You would prefer the barrel to be long enough to ensure all the air in the cylinder is used accelerating the BB. On the other hand, you want the BB to leave the barrel as soon as possible so the vibrations/impacts/etc. of firing has little time to affect the flight path of the BB.

On one hand, you want as long a barrel as needed to match the air air the piston displaced. This could be as long as 800mm for a sniper rifle cylinder.

On the other hand, you want the BB to leave the barrel before the piston hits the cylinder head so your aim isn't thrown off by that impact.

Ideally the BB leaves the barrel just before the piston hits the head. Too long a barrel and your aim is killed by the piston impact. Too short a barrel and your velocity is killed by the BB leaving the barrel before the piston has gone even halfway.

If a 650mm TBB was less accurate than a 590mm, I'd say you need to use heavier BB's. That will slow the piston so it might not hit the end of the cylinder before the BB leaves the barrel.

Or use a weaker spring. Same effect - a weaker spring won't shove the piston so fast, so the BB has a chance to leave the barrel before the whole gun is shocked with the piston-cylinder impact.

The longer barrel will almost always result in a higher fps as the BB is being pushed longer. But without knowing the volume of air displaced by your current piston/cylinder combination, nobody can say if you'd see an fps increase.

There is no "simply put..."

But in general a longer TBB will give you higher fps for the same BB, and/or better accuracy over longer range with a heavier BB. Same energy coming from the piston, but less waste. Heavier BB is less affected by wind, so more accurate relevant to fps.

Here's a simple little trick to check to see if you barrel is too long.

1. Find a Compression Tester. This is basically a pressure gauges with a rubber nib attached so you can fit it to a hole and test the pressure.

2. Make sure you have no bb's in your gun. Dry fire it just to be sure.

3. Fit the compression tester to the muzzle of your barrel, must be the actual muzzle, not the flash hider. If you can get it to the muzzle of the inner barrel, that is ideal.

4. Fire one shot. This should give a reading. The ideal pressure to see would be two atmospheres, about 29.3 psi total at sea level. The compression tester will give a pique reading. Press the nib to release pressure once read.

You want two atmospheres of pressure because you are measuring the air that would be in front of the bb and behind it. With too much pressure there will be more push behind the bb after it has left the barrel, resulting in turbulence and messing with backspin. Too little pressure and there will be a vacuum behind the bb before it leaves the barrel resulting in deceleration and messing with backspin.

With this test you do not have to worry about the volume of anything. Ported inner barrels will not give a proper reading but are not as effected by this problem as barrels without ports. This test should be repeated and the results averaged.

EDIT: I'm not getting into the barrel length/ accuracy argument.

ok wow that was very helpful and u didnt just throw ur opinion at me thank you... im reading way high like 40psi!! does ur preasure vary relative to ur FPS? so if I lower or raise my fps it should increase preasure. so I can fine tune my gun for my barrel correct?

But in general a longer TBB will give you higher fps for the same BB, and/or better accuracy over longer range with a heavier BB. Same energy coming from the piston, but less waste. Heavier BB is less affected by wind, so more accurate relevant to fps.

:rolleyes: There is no evidence that suggests that a longer barrel equates to more accuracy. As long as you don't go super stubby, assuming same BB weight and velocity(via a properly balanced cylinder) accuracy will remain unaffected.

:rolleyes: There is no evidence that suggests that a longer barrel equates to more accuracy. As long as you don't go super stubby, assuming same BB weight and velocity(via a properly balanced cylinder) accuracy will remain unaffected.

then assuming I have a big enough cylinder and my gun is tuned properly said barrel (650mm) will just give me more fps then 590mm and such

then assuming I have a big enough cylinder and my gun is tuned properly said barrel (650mm) will just give me more fps then 590mm and such

"In theory"

The only way you can find out is by actually getting it.

But I think (correct me if I'm wrong), that would mean more negative pressure too. Right? That will put more turbulence on your BB and create less accuracy. Unless you get a ported EdGI barrel and somehow create some sort of vacuum piston for your SVD... Then I think you should stick with the length they give you. It's not like you will be lacking in FPS in the first place...

Yea, that would cancel the negative pressure from a long barrel. However, the OP is using an A&K SVD, so he doesn't have the option of a vacuum piston.

ok but I think you guys have failed to realize I have a huge cylinder... waaaaay bigger than any AEG ive seen and im pretty sure its big by sniper standards so im moving alota air so I shouldnt have vaccuum problems. right?

and im gunna order it soon so ill be sure to report its performance so check this forum in a few weeks so I can check its performance.

Edited by dragonuv123

ok but I think you guys have failed to realize I have a huge cylinder... waaaaay bigger than any AEG ive seen and im pretty sure its big by sniper standards so im moving alota air so I shouldnt have vaccuum problems. right?

We ALL have bigger cylinders than an AEG. From what I can tell from the SVD I have here (my friend let me borrow it, it's A&K), the cylinder is a little bigger than my BAR-10 cylinder from first looks. However, when I pull the cylinder back I can tell that it definitely isn't getting pulled back as far as normal snipers. It actually seems like it is getting pulled back as far as my M14 AEG (which it possibly is considering the SVD uses an AEG spring). I would say that the SVD is pulling in slightly less air than a VSR rifle (which uses a 430mm barrel). I think it would benefit a lot from a vacuum piston. However, I don't think anyone has made one before for that SVD. That might be a good project you could try to make. I'm certain it will improve your accuracy.

We ALL have bigger cylinders than an AEG. From what I can tell from the SVD I have here (my friend let me borrow it, it's A&K), the cylinder is a little bigger than my BAR-10 cylinder from first looks. However, when I pull the cylinder back I can tell that it definitely isn't getting pulled back as far as normal snipers. It actually seems like it is getting pulled back as far as my M14 AEG (which it possibly is considering the SVD uses an AEG spring). I would say that the SVD is pulling in slightly less air than a VSR rifle (which uses a 430mm barrel). I think it would benefit a lot from a vacuum piston. However, I don't think anyone has made one before for that SVD. That might be a good project you could try to make. I'm certain it will improve your accuracy.

how do vaccum pistons work how do I make one... and I have like a 540mm barrel in it now I think is the stock length but definitly more than 490 so a longer barrel cant hurt. and you are saying that the absense of enough air will create a vaccume in my barrel as the bb increases the volum of space behind itself therefor it will be pulled on my this vaccum twords the end of the barrel? what if I ported it? only like halfway down the barrel so before the vaccume starts to happen air is alowed to enter behind my bb. and porting seams like a logical idea and is worthy of testing. But are you guys saying not even ur bar10s and vsrs and stuff couldnt throw a bb through 650mm? and if I ported it id make very small holes as little as I could becuase too big a port and turbulance could cause the bb to want to go into the ports slightly (not that itd entirly fit but some would) and cause drag and ruin my backspin. just enough for a tiny bit of air to travel.

Edited by dragonuv123

how do vaccum pistons work how do I make one... and I have like a 540mm barrel in it now I think is the stock length but definitly more than 490 so a longer barrel cant hurt. and what is a ported barrel?

I'm not completely sure how vacuum pistons work, but I do know they cancel out negative pressure, which would lower the turbulence on the BB. But I am planning on ordering one for my BAR-10 soon, so I may be able to help you out with that. And I said 430mm, not 490.

A ported barrel is a barrel that has some holes near the nozzle that allow the air to dissipate. This allows the barrel to stay just as long, but removing some turbulence and silences it a little bit. However, there hasn't been any actual comparison between a ported and non-ported barrel yet, and as far as I know only EdGI makes them. However, EdGI is one of the best manufacturers of inner barrels, so I strongly recommend and trust him.

I would stick to the length that your original barrel is. There isn't any reason for making it longer at this point, and it would just cause more trouble in the long-run. Not to mention that they're more expensive and you are facing a serious possibility of losing precision already.

I would suggest getting an EdGI custom barrel with these stats:

- 540mm long

- Standard AEG hop-up

- 6.03 Inner diameter

- Ported

For the outer diameter, measure your current outer-diameter and use that. However, if possible try to see if you can get an OD profile of 9.70mm. However, make sure that the 9.70 thickness starts AFTER the hop-up chamber and BEFORE whatever your gun uses to keep the end into place. This will drastically reduce vibrations and give you more precision.

EDIT:

OH and does BRAVO make a good barrel? on ASGI its 60$ for a 650mm 6.03 bore barrel. stainless steal btw... is bravo a good company?

You don't really hear about them alot, but from the little that you do hear about them they are really good. I am completely sure they don't make as good of barrels as PDI or EdGI, but they aren't bad. However, like I said above I highly recommend you do NOT get a longer barrel than you do now. It's not worth the risk.

PS. I'm going to see if I can create a resource out of this and make a guide on barrel lengths. I think I have an idea of what to do. You want to get the volume of the cylinder to approximate to the volume of the barrel.

A 6.03 ID barrel at 590mm long will create a volume of 16850mm^3

I don't have access to a SVD at the moment, can you measure your cylinder?

Edited by Neotyguy40

I'm not completely sure how vacuum pistons work, but I do know they cancel out negative pressure, which would lower the turbulence on the BB. But I am planning on ordering one for my BAR-10 soon, so I may be able to help you out with that. And I said 430mm, not 490.

A ported barrel is a barrel that has some holes near the nozzle that allow the air to dissipate. This allows the barrel to stay just as long, but removing some turbulence and silences it a little bit. However, there hasn't been any actual comparison between a ported and non-ported barrel yet, and as far as I know only EdGI makes them. However, EdGI is one of the best manufacturers of inner barrels, so I strongly recommend and trust him.

I would stick to the length that your original barrel is. There isn't any reason for making it longer at this point, and it would just cause more trouble in the long-run. Not to mention that they're more expensive and you are facing a serious possibility of losing precision already.

I would suggest getting an EdGI custom barrel with these stats:

- 540mm long

- Standard AEG hop-up

- 6.03 Inner diameter

- Ported

For the outer diameter, measure your current outer-diameter and use that. However, if possible try to see if you can get an OD profile of 9.70mm. However, make sure that the 9.70 thickness starts AFTER the hop-up chamber and BEFORE whatever your gun uses to keep the end into place. This will drastically reduce vibrations and give you more precision.

EDIT:

You don't really hear about them alot, but from the little that you do hear about them they are really good. I am completely sure they don't make as good of barrels as PDI or EdGI, but they aren't bad. However, like I said above I highly recommend you do NOT get a longer barrel than you do now. It's not worth the risk.

PS. I'm going to see if I can create a resource out of this and make a guide on barrel lengths. I think I have an idea of what to do. You want to get the volume of the cylinder to approximate to the volume of the barrel.

A 6.03 ID barrel at 590mm long will create a volume of 16850mm^3

I don't have access to a SVD at the moment, can you measure your cylinder?

umm well I wont lye I don't rly know how to get a good mesurment of my cylinder but ill take a ruler to it and get some measurments but is there a better way to measure my volume OTHER than measuring it and math... and I put a psi to the end of my inner barrel and got like 40-48psi. is that alot?

my cylinder is AROUND (a VERY ROUGH mearument) is 105mm long byt 22-23mm diameter.

and I still wanna go with the 650 as it may increase fps. I would only CONSIDER a 550mm by bravo edgi is too expensive. so what your saying is the 650mm may create a vacuume and thats my only issue? how tight a seal does my cylinder head have in my chamber cant air be sucked in through there?

Edited by dragonuv123

umm well I wont lye I don't rly know how to get a good mesurment of my cylinder but ill take a ruler to it and get some measurments but is there a better way to measure my volume OTHER than measuring it and math... and I put a psi to the end of my inner barrel and got like 40-48psi. is that alot?

I'm not a very pneumatically person, so I can't really tell. However, measuring the cylinder is easy. Just find the diameter and the depth with the ruler. Make sure it's the depth of the end of the cylinder to where the piston locks into place (as if you cocked it).

I'm not a very pneumatically person, so I can't really tell. However, measuring the cylinder is easy. Just find the diameter and the depth with the ruler. Make sure it's the depth of the end of the cylinder to where the piston locks into place (as if you cocked it).

well like I said its a rough measurment but 105mm depth and 22-23mm diameter... lets say 90mm depth to be safe counting for compression loss and such. or even 85. whats the math like 3.14times11^2? times 90?

well like I said its a rough measurment but 105mm depth and 22-23mm diameter... lets say 90mm depth to be safe counting for compression loss and such. or even 85. whats the math like 3.14times11^2? times 90?

Your barrel volume is about 16850mm^3

Your cylinder is about 34211mm^3

Now you can use that to calculate what your PSI should be, and compare that to the PSI you are getting.

Your barrel volume is about 16850mm^3

Your cylinder is about 34211mm^3

Now you can use that to calculate what your PSI should be, and compare that to the PSI you are getting.

OKOK WAIT I HATE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS BUT LET ME GET THIS STREIGHT... I JUST DID THE MATH MY CYLINDER IS ACTUALLY 70MM DEEP AND 22MM DIAMETER. even if I totally UNDERCALCULATE my cylinder to 20mm diameter and 60mm depth im getting over 18800cubic millimeters. thats MORE THAN THE 650MM BARREL so a VACCUME IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!

so I could even use somthing as big as a 800mm barrel. cuz with this shorter 550mm(aproximate) barrel being the stock one im getting that "vortex" effect decreasing accuracy do to the rush of air that folows my bb. I almost need ports just to let that extra air out in my opinion. so a 650mm barrel not only is NOT to long but is closer to correct barrel length

Edited by dragonuv123

neotguy, the vacuum piston works by using a one way valve, very similar to that of a bike bump. when you release the piston, the one way valve closes, providing a good air seal, and if the barrel is too long, once the BB reaches a certain point, the valve will release and all the air behind the piston will rush out behind the BB, basically cancelling out negative pressure. Im not sure if its a good alternative to Bore Up though. and ive also heard that they are quite fragile and prone to breaking mostly on the o-rings.

yh that was my initial plan but I cant seem to figure out how to remove the cylinder from my SVD... its ok though when I take measurments I unermeasure it becuz undermeasuring is not bad overmeasuring is and even when I measure it my cylinder has at least 100^3mm MORE than the 650mm 6.03 bravo steel barrel. so please answer my question... ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET A VACCUM (NEGATIVE PREASURE) IF I HAVE WAY MORE AIR IN MY CYLINDER THAN MY BARREL?????

yh that was my initial plan but I cant seem to figure out how to remove the cylinder from my SVD... its ok though when I take measurments I unermeasure it becuz undermeasuring is not bad overmeasuring is and even when I measure it my cylinder has at least 100^3mm MORE than the 650mm 6.03 bravo steel barrel. so please answer my question... ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET A VACCUM (NEGATIVE PREASURE) IF I HAVE WAY MORE AIR IN MY CYLINDER THAN MY BARREL?????

Well I must be thinking of the wrong idea of cylinder-barrel volume ratios. Though that would be theoretically correct, I know that it isn't really correct (otherwise, why do any snipers get negative pressure?). I must think this through more, but I do have a thread you may want to look at:

Just some things I found when I was researching barrel lengths. You may want to read the thread throughput and see what it says.

Well I must be thinking of the wrong idea of cylinder-barrel volume ratios. Though that would be theoretically correct, I know that it isn't really correct (otherwise, why do any snipers get negative pressure?). I must think this through more, but I do have a thread you may want to look at:

Just some things I found when I was researching barrel lengths. You may want to read the thread throughput and see what it says.

ok well im chooseing NOT to beleive any of this crazy mess of opinions. theres like 50 OPINIOns... some say barrel length has NOTHING to do with accuracy some say it has everything to do some say its all about volume ratios some say its all about vacuums and vortexes.

When it comes down to it I mathematicaly prooved there is WAY MORE air in my cylinder than my barrel so a vaccume is non existent. as far as im concerned a nice quality TBB is going to make my gun perform better and there is NO ABSOLUTLY NO REASON why a 650mm barrel will decrease accuracy. I have more than enough psi, air volume, and fps to push a .25 outa 650mm. so why not just go with the 650. if it hurts my accuracy ill tell everyone and if it increases accuracy then you are all wrong :P and im better than you nanananabooboo stick your head in doo doo. neotyguy you have actually been the best help of all here. im going with the bravo steel 6.03 bore 650mm barrel. for $60 and the reason I don't buy a prometheus is airsoftgi isnt selling promethius barrels over like 550mm I think it was.

coupla quick questions...

1)when bravo advertises a 650mm barrel is it measuring from end to end or from one end to were the bucking would start?

2)I used a cleaning kit for a .22 long rifle. it has a plastic end I put a cloth through but the rods are made of brass... is it safe to clean my barrel or will

these brass rods scratch my inner barrel?

3) does bravo flute their barrels? if not does fluting really add THAT much more performance?

I would just wrap the cleaning kit pole in some toilet paper, one layer all around. That should keep the scratches away. Don't know answers to the other questions though, sorry.

yh ok will do. I do like the real steal cleaning kits and the cleaning kit for a .22 longrifle works like its frigin made for 6mm. only thing is what chemicals to use... I think rubbing alchohal should work. just keept it away from my bucking. no silicon spray in the barrel right ruins consistancy?

neotguy, the vacuum piston works by using a one way valve, very similar to that of a bike bump. when you release the piston, the one way valve closes, providing a good air seal, and if the barrel is too long, once the BB reaches a certain point, the valve will release and all the air behind the piston will rush out behind the BB, basically cancelling out negative pressure. Im not sure if its a good alternative to Bore Up though. and ive also heard that they are quite fragile and prone to breaking mostly on the o-rings.

I don't think I will have negative preasure as my measurments even when totaly unermeasured for tolerance purposes my lowest possible cylinder volume STILL excedes my 650mm barrels volume. so negative preasure should be non existant correct?

I don't think I will have negative preasure as my measurments even when totaly unermeasured for tolerance purposes my lowest possible cylinder volume STILL excedes my 650mm barrels volume. so negative preasure should be non existant correct?

The idea that a barrel should have the same volume as a cylinder was just me being an idiot. I don't really know what causes the vacuum, but from what I am thinking is that if the barrel volume is equal to the cylinder volume, you will actually get a larger vacuum, which would slow the BB down a lot and add much unneeded turbulence.

Although, let's just say for the sake of argument that there was no vacuum. Your hop-up would still be underpowered and there would be a lot more bouncing in the barrel. The stock barrel that comes with the dragonuv is long enough, even for a sniper rifle. I would get an EdGI or other high-ranking barrel with better tolerances at the same length. If you go too long, you would need to get a barrel extension, which would make your gun bigger, heavier, and possible very ugly if you don't know what you're doing with machinery. Not to mention the difficulty of installing a barrel almost 20% longer than the stock, and the price would be very high compared to shorter barrels.

What would be the point of doing that?