Sign in to follow this  
sniperx2s

new idea for bolt action sniper rifle

in the midst of my random daydreaming that happens every couple of hours and can sometimes last 15 minutes long, I thought about an idea that could remove bolt springs, and hpa rigs. but still have it consistent.. I hope :) the idea is that, instead of having a spring or HPA rig, you have an internal compressor and tank. when you pull the bolt back, it pulls on the compressor... which is basically like a bike pump. You pull it, and it fills the tank with pressurized air and a one way valve keeps it from escaping. at this point, the hammer is cocked, and the bolt is sent forwards, loading a BB. Then the when the trigger is pulled, the hammer strikes the valve, releasing the air and propelling the BB. no spring causing vibration, and no big HPA tank to carry around. what do you think? im I crazy or is this something doable?

in the midst of my random daydreaming that happens every couple of hours and can sometimes last 15 minutes long, I thought about an idea that could remove bolt springs, and hpa rigs. but still have it consistent.. I hope :) the idea is that, instead of having a spring or HPA rig, you have an internal compressor and tank. when you pull the bolt back, it pulls on the compressor... which is basically like a bike pump. You pull it, and it fills the tank with pressurized air and a one way valve keeps it from escaping. at this point, the hammer is cocked, and the bolt is sent forwards, loading a BB. Then the when the trigger is pulled, the hammer strikes the valve, releasing the air and propelling the BB. no spring causing vibration, and no big HPA tank to carry around. what do you think? im I crazy or is this something doable?

Except pumps require more than one pump to work.

What you are thinking of is a gas ram.

Do a google search for them ;) They are in quite a few pellet rifles, and they work great. Though getting one to work in an airsoft gun may be a little bit of a stretch.

no I wasnt thinking of a gas ram. I had the idea for a gas ram ages ago when I saw a video on the remington/crosman nitro express. its different. The bolt actually compresses the air but the air is stored in a different chamber. and the hammer releases the air. so its quite different. and yes, you would need alot of pumps... unless you have a really big cylinder and a small tank.

So is the compressor electric? If so, then it isn't really much different than an AEG sniper we have today, except it would be louder even with the extra consistency.

However, I always thought that using the force of the bolt being pulled back and forward could generate enough pressure inside a chamber to propel the BB. No need to buy gas, no electricity, silent, and no vibrations.

So is the compressor electric? If so, then it isn't really much different than an AEG sniper we have today, except it would be louder even with the extra consistency.

However, I always thought that using the force of the bolt being pulled back and forward could generate enough pressure inside a chamber to propel the BB. No need to buy gas, no electricity, silent, and no vibrations.

actually thats a pretty good idea. The chinese developed a pump a long time ago for the porcelain furnace that pumped air with every stroke. So that means, if we can incorporate that, the bolt will be pumping air into the tank when you pull the bolt back, and when you push it forwards. And no, it wont be electric.

Why would you need a bigger anything? It would be compressing the same amount of air as a basr, would it not? I may not have a firm grasp on this concept...

im saying that there will be a internal compressor. when you pull the bolt back, it pushes the air into a small tank where the PSI increases. The larger the cylinder for the compressor, the larger the PSI, the higher the FPS, and the longer barrel length could be used

im saying that there will be a internal compressor. when you pull the bolt back, it pushes the air into a small tank where the PSI increases. The larger the cylinder for the compressor, the larger the PSI, the higher the FPS, and the longer barrel length could be used

Correct me if I am wrong but are talking about a straight pump, are you not? I think you are, based on your earlier bike bump comparison, in which case you are already answered your own question on why it won't work. A straight pump won't work because one pump won't build up enough pressure to do squat. Hook your bike pump up to a tire and give it one pump. How much pressure did it build? I don't really do the spring side, but I can tell you on the gas side, you are normally looking at 120-150psi for sniper rifles. You would need one heck of a large chamber to build that much travel with a single pump only utilizing the standard length of pull of a bolt.

If you are thinking of basically taking a spring powered rifle and effectively removing the spring, that won't work either as you would have to be able to push the entire piston assembly forward at the same rate the spring does (nearly instantaneously). Not to mention the gun would also effective have no trigger system at this point.

Edited by XavierMace

Are you looking at more of a PCP air rifle is what it sounds like.

Do a search for an " FX Independance air rifle" That is what I think you are looking at.

Either that or a Crosman 13xx

that is awesome... if only we had that for airsoft. and I realized that this wouldnt work at school today.

Sounds like an air gun...

If this idea was adapted for airsoft, I would think that the guns would be considerably more expensive than the spring type, because the gun would be more complicated than a standard spring gun.

The tank/reservoir would have to be made of high-quality metal (or at least hard plastic) to prevent the compressed air from cracking the body the gun, due to pressure.

I think that the gun would have a higher FPS compared to most spring guns, but it might require multiple pumps to shoot.

The gun would also be more dangerous. If your seven-year old brother pulled the pump back too many times...

Edited by Fudge911

The gun would also be more dangerous. If your seven-year old brother pulled the pump back too many times...

Any gun/replica is dangerous if some idiot doesn't teach his siblings/children proper gun safety, before handing them said projectile throwing device.

Some of the multi pump air rifles still have regulators inside of them. So you can only fire at so fast an FPS. So that really isn't a problem.

But yes cost would be a large problem. As well as the pumping needed ot work the rifle.

LOL.... when did cost pose a problem in the world of airsoft sniping? when our guns are already couple of hundred dollars. hell, for the amount I put into my vsr-10, I could buy a 50 caliber air gun (yes they exist).

PCP+semi auto=ultimate DMR

also had an idea about the hpa gearbox. Theres a HPA tank and a motor. The only thing the motor does is open and close the valve and operate the tappet plate. maybe this is what P* is doing with their HPA gearbox.

pneumatic pump airguns work that way. You pump the gun one to ten times before firing. It's a decent solution, especially as for airsoft, it probably wouldn't take more than one pump.

I don't imagine cost would be much of an issue as Daisy sells similar guns for ~$50, and they shoot lead pellets at 800+ fps. The only "cost" issue would be swapping for a 6mm barrel.

pneumatic pump airguns work that way. You pump the gun one to ten times before firing. It's a decent solution, especially as for airsoft, it probably wouldn't take more than one pump.

I don't imagine cost would be much of an issue as Daisy sells similar guns for ~$50, and they shoot lead pellets at 800+ fps. The only "cost" issue would be swapping for a 6mm barrel.

Exactly.

When you think about it, it's really not to hard to make. All you need is someone who knows a lot about airsoft and air guns, and there are a bunch here at this forum. With some sort of regulator and a lot of modding to an air gun, someone could easily get a 6mm BB to shoot somewhere from 400-600 fps without any problems whatsoever.

The most expensive part is going to be a very accurate and well made regulator.

The reason why daisys are only $50 is because they are spring, and suck to be honest.

I have owned from .177's to the .50's, in every power plant there is.

It wouldn't be that hard to do, and I have been working on something that will work just like that.

For the semi auto, take a look at the Logon Solo ;) Same concempt.

It wouldn't be that hard to make, would just need to be made right, and out of very good materials.

well that and putting a magazine and hop up inside.

well that and putting a magazine and hop up inside.

I have a 2 Daisy Red Riders and a Grizzly and Buck and the Red Rider shoots 230 FPS. and it is not accurate and goes no where.

I personally think spring is going to stay in airsoft sniper rifles for a long time.