Sign in to follow this  
LoneSniperSG

Pre-game preparations

Heya all.

I'm looking for some input from veteran airsofters here, and I couldn't think of a better forum to post this in.

I admit, I'm a chairsofter at this point. I don't have all the equipment I would like to have (namely, a competitive gun, and I'd rather not borrow one.) so I spend most of my time talking about the sport. I've got the advantage of having fired real-steel, so I have a good grip on my gun safety. I've run through the lists of what tools are commonly and uncommonly needed.

I know a few guys who are or were in the National Guard, the Navy or the Army, and I posed the question of how someone can prepare himself for battle with little to no training. Their advice was to run personal training stuff as often as I can. Start with my rifle and pistol and the tools and equipment I need to keep them going on the course and get used to handling myself with the added weight and bulk hanging off me.

To this end, I spent a day at my aunt's farm crawling, running, ducking and weaving and grabbing cover, getting myself used to my load and trying to program my body and mind to compensate for it.

What I don't know is how often I should do this, and if it's even the right way to go about it. So what do you veteran airsofters do?

Ideally the answer would be every day I'd think.

Realistically, a few times a month should be plenty for an airsoft game. Consider the fact that many players do not practice anything at all between games, and you're already a step ahead of the competition.

Physical fitness training is great, but it's worthless if you can't hit your target. I place weapon function and accuracy training on a much higher tier than running laps. Practice shooting targets at the furthest possible distance you can, from various positions. Play with your hopup and ammo selection. See how efficient your magazine changes and other gear functions are. This is how you really get to know your gear's limits and strengths in my opinion.

Guest OpSic66
Physical fitness training is great, but it's worthless if you can't hit your target.

While I some what agree with this statement. I can not fully support your idea behind it. You don't always need "the best gun on the field", depending upon your mission in the game. There's plenty of times I walked on and off the field with nothing more then a couple of grenades and a pistol.

However, your comments on Physical Fitness, is a solid point. Being physically fit, is not only helpful to you in the game. But it is beneficial for you over the long term of your life. Granted I'm no fence post, but I've cut back on weight over the last couple years. Enough so that at 5'8" and 199 pounds, My endurance is through the roof compared to what it was years ago. And in comparison to others in my weight and age bracket.

As for the gun, what's holding you back? Some of the "chinese knock off" guns in the $150 range rival some of the couple year old middle end guns.

While I some what agree with this statement. I can not fully support your idea behind it. You don't always need "the best gun on the field", depending upon your mission in the game. There's plenty of times I walked on and off the field with nothing more then a couple of grenades and a pistol.

However, your comments on Physical Fitness, is a solid point. Being physically fit, is not only helpful to you in the game. But it is beneficial for you over the long term of your life. Granted I'm no fence post, but I've cut back on weight over the last couple years. Enough so that at 5'8" and 199 pounds, My endurance is through the roof compared to what it was years ago. And in comparison to others in my weight and age bracket.

As for the gun, what's holding you back? Some of the "chinese knock off" guns in the $150 range rival some of the couple year old middle end guns.

So a physical fitness regimen would be what, focusing on cardiac strength? Meaning lots of running and walking more than anything else. Being as muscle-bound as a brawler probably doesn't matter much as much as your endurance, right?

Now while we're on it, what's probably the best way to go about getting your mind prepared to account for all your gear? Holsters and pouches hanging off your person tend to add a difference to how your body has to behave when crawling around in cover and such.

Edited by LoneSniperSG

Cardio is probably the best. Having muscle is good only if you see yourself lugging around a support gun or other front heavy gun.

Best way to prepare with gear is to run around and train with it. Hell if its something small like a holster just wear it around the house (inside) to get used to the feel and stuff. Or heck do some chores in your loadout to familiarize yourself with your stuff.

TDWP, A Day to Remember, Breaking Benjamin, Bullet For My Valentine, Creed, NothingFace, and some Haste the Day.

I like metalcore, hardcore, post-hardcore and alt rock just as much as you do, but honestly it makes me lose focus even though it's fun to listen to. imo getting into line-of-sight fights is like studying or driving- it requires all your concentration, so you shouldn't listen to music while or before you do it.

I like metalcore, hardcore, post-hardcore and alt rock just as much as you do, but honestly it makes me lose focus even though it's fun to listen to. imo getting into line-of-sight fights is like studying or driving- it requires all your concentration, so you shouldn't listen to music while or before you do it.

I get where you are going with this, but these songs relax me, therefore making me calm and concentrated.

Guest OpSic66

Lets try to steer clear of too much "what music do you listen to....." There's already a couple of threads on this site, that cover that.

right-o

I think OP could practice reloading and going from a low ready to a shouldered position - very slowly and smoothly at first, and then picking up the pace over a couple days.

psychobunny was right about cardio training. making a wide flanking maneuver can yield great results, and being able to do it quickly saves time.

Edited by TheJawn

Improving cardio will help in the very begining of the game when you may have to sprint distances to gain initial advantageous position. Alot of times Ill get to my spot and Im sucking pond water, and wish I had done some training.

With any new activity you will find out which muscles are doing the most work by how sore you are the next day. For me, I found out quick that my thighs were doing all the work. Popping up and down behind cover over and over with short violent movements, while adrenaline from the firefight causing you to push further than normal without pain. So, some training squats with weights might help.

I do some marksmanship training, but like this: I set up some cans in the backyard. Then I get on the back deck and crouch behind cover with my weapon. I peek or get in my mind's eye which target Im going to engage. Then I pop-up, snap off a burst on the target, and then drop back into cover. This helps train you to fire almost immediately after you expose yourself, without taking time to aim precisely. Developing instictive shooting techniques rather than deliberate aiming.

Also, train yourself to pop-out from differnt parts of the cover. If you went over the top one time, try high or low from the side. Almost never come back up in the same spot. Keep the enemy guessing.

Disengageing from a covered position and running to a new position can also be practiced.

Practice firing left handed as well. Covering a left corner can be difficult for right handed shooters.

To be ready for airsoft the main thing is to have the fundamentals down. Practice reloading, taking cover, transitioning, taking corners, moving while shooting, and of course shooting. If you can't master those it doesn't matter what condition your body's in, you will not be good at airsoft. Physical fitness is great though so if airsoft is a motivation to hit the gym go for it! As for mental preparation, since I play airsoft for fun and don't take it too seriously so the car ride up with my friends is full of joking, heavy metal, and humorous predictions for the game. Do we excel at the games? No we're a middle of the road squad most of the time, but everyone knows us because we always have fun with everyone we play with. So I suppose part of the mental preparation is the right attitude. It's a game, treat it like one and go out with the goal to have fun with friends and meet a few new ones!

Now gear preparation is another matter entirely. That you should take seriously because you need to have the right equipment to be able to even participate. Here's a standard checklist:

-Full seal eye protection

-Gun

-Magazines

-Water

-Food (I find peanut butter and jelly to be an ideal airsoft lunch break food LOL)

-Dead rag

-Boots (You will be one sad airsofter if your feet start hurting because you didn't wear a good pair of boots)

-Team appropriate colors

-WATER WATER WATER!

-Plenty of ammo (Don't want to be THAT GUY who bums ammo off people)

-Something to carry extra ammo, water, kill rag, and possibly an extra battery

-DID I MENTION WATER!?

If you don't have those things you are not ready to play so make sure you have at the very least those things every time you go to play.

As many have stated, having a fun experience with your buds is the primary goal; a primary idea to keep in mind could be to be prepared to be a team player and a good sport.

Now, if you really want to make an impact...

Eat a good breakfast, think like a marathon runner. If you're going to be playing any where near a full day, you'll want some carbs; I always have a big bowl of oatmeal along with anything else I can find like fruit. If you drink coffee every day, do that, but later on grab a cup of hot tea. There's not so much a surge of energy with tea and it'll definitely help you keep going.

On that note, endurance is huge in my opinion. You don't ever want to be the guy who surrenders because he can't run any more. So yeah, cardiovascular stuff is great and also just a plain healthy thing to do. You may also want to learn how to keep your head on straight as more serious games can lead you to get a bit stressed (this is, of course, a positive of airsoft).

Work out any kind of command structure with your team, plans of action, "navy seals" hand signals and the like. You don't have to go commando, but having organization adds a lot, makes the game more intense, and making up awesome call signs is, like, 43% of the game.

Oh, and to get pumped just listen to Ride of the Valkyries or watch the scene from Apocalypse Now...."I love the smell of plastic in the morning."

Edited by foxtrot_MGS

I never prepare before a game, at all. Infact, there's days I don't even eat breakfast, or go out on 6hrs of sleep, or both. I dunno, airsoft IS my PT basically. I've never had a problem either, I'm always the first one out of the gates because I run pistol only. Only issue sometimes is if I haven't gone for a couple weeks, running real hard gets me anemic. I can feel it in my gums, so I gotta relax a little.

PSH! I WATCH THE PREDATOR! Only way to prepare in my opinion :)

Before anybody has a chance to yell at me for that I'm being serious. That's my pre-game ritual. I've watched the predator before every match I've ever played. I'm a sniper at the moment though so it helps me get my mind into stalk, hunt, kill mode. Yeah sounds dumb but it does honestly work. But as for you OP don't worry about that right now. Worry about your role on the team. Everybody will tell you different roles play different ways and do different things. Your role is your #1 concern other then not walking out infront of Popcorn89 and his SW M99 ;)

Here's my Pre-Game Prep:

The night before:

1. Gear and batteries checked ad charged.

2. Watch 1 of these movies: Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, or more recently Battle: LA

3. Sleep

On the drive up:

1. Last gear check

2. Listen to Vietnam-era anti-war songs (Paint It Black, Unfortunate Son, etc.)

3. Sleep

At the field:

1. Load up,

2. Shake off jitters by taking a leak.

I'm dead serious about the last one. ALWAYS take a leak before you step foot on the field. It's strangely calming.

As for fitness:

Usually I do some treadmills at extreme inclines for 5-10 minutes. Or I'll run around the block a few times while carrying a sack full of water. Anything to simulate the conditions you'll experience. But, mind you, I do live in a city, so I don't get as much space to do these things.

Just remember: have fun, stay safe, and TAKE A LEAK before the first game.

Minus all of the getting gear together stuff, because that's a given. This is my "ritual

5 minutes before I leave the house I watch this movie

On the ride up I listen to some heavy rock.

And I highly agree with using the restroom, if the field has one there, or at home just before you leave.