to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
mario1286

Tacoma Tactical no longer worth it

Back in the old days before they moved location, Tacoma Tactical in WA used to be a friendly, guest oriented place. They used to talk ask for input from guests, change up the rules for more advanced groups, and have a variety of fun and interesting games.

Me and my team used to play frequently there. They moved location, during which time my team didn't go. We finally visited for the first time at the new building, and it sadly will be our last.

Most important of all, ALL of the employees there were extremely rude. The desk people were incredibly condescending, treating our veteran airsoft team like we were a bunch of ten year olds when we were unclear on their new rules.

That's the next gripe; their new rules. No longer do they allow .25g ammo, which was an extreme annoyance because all of my guns are calibrated for .25g, their excuse being "you don't need them for our facilities distances". It became quite clear throughout the day that some of the employees there know little to nothing about airsoft. They also insisted on everyone wearing brightly colored sweat headbands. Not only does this make wearing a headset and full seal goggles together uncomfortable, but it was unsanitary to say the least, with everyone swapping headbands constantly. At the start of the day, there were only four of us present, and I politely asked an official "if we all four agree to not use headbands just for now, would it be ok?" I was answered with "Why don't you just follow the rules?".

The ref's explinations of blind firing varied greatly. Some considered firing without seeing what you are aiming at blind firing, and at least one other considered any shooting whatsoever without using your sights blind firing. This means point shooting, firing from the hip, or placing your stock on above your shoulder instead of against it was blind firing.

At some point during the end of the day, two refs began playing as civilians, who would open fire if you shot them on accident. They were invunerable. This was fine, except when they decided that the game was taking too long, so they began hunting campers. This was fine too, if they were truely hunting "campers". Instead of hanging out near the starting points like they should have (where the little kids camping were) they roamed all over the place, and ended up killing my small group that had just eliminated three people and was most definately on the move. What's more, the official that shot us was wearing a headband for our team. We hesitated to even run from him because we saw him coming well in advanced, and thought he was a teammate.

I was personally shot on accident by a ref that was pretending to shoot me, and it was actually loaded. Instead of an apology, all I received was "Woah, that's weird" because he didn't think it was loaded.

Their chronograph is messed up I'm pretty sure, chronoing low by 10-20fps. Not really a big deal I suppose if I'm right, but it does kind of throw their fps limit out the window.

I saw a ref from the observing balcony shooting down into the field. I don't know if he was shooting players or just shooting at walls to cause confusion, but either way it seemed strange to me.

Me and my team will never go there again unfortunately. It used to be good fun and a friendly environment, and now it seems like for whatever reason the place is nothing more than a rude paintball field, littered with rude staff and tons of young call of duty players that don't call their hits and don't understand surrender or die rules.

Back in the old days before they moved location, Tacoma Tactical in WA used to be a friendly, guest oriented place. They used to talk ask for input from guests, change up the rules for more advanced groups, and have a variety of fun and interesting games.

Me and my team used to play frequently there. They moved location, during which time my team didn't go. We finally visited for the first time at the new building, and it sadly will be our last.

Most important of all, ALL of the employees there were extremely rude. The desk people were incredibly condescending, treating our veteran airsoft team like we were a bunch of ten year olds when we were unclear on their new rules.

That's the next gripe; their new rules. No longer do they allow .25g ammo, which was an extreme annoyance because all of my guns are calibrated for .25g, their excuse being "you don't need them for our facilities distances". It became quite clear throughout the day that some of the employees there know little to nothing about airsoft. They also insisted on everyone wearing brightly colored sweat headbands. Not only does this make wearing a headset and full seal goggles together uncomfortable, but it was unsanitary to say the least, with everyone swapping headbands constantly. At the start of the day, there were only four of us present, and I politely asked an official "if we all four agree to not use headbands just for now, would it be ok?" I was answered with "Why don't you just follow the rules?".

The ref's explinations of blind firing varied greatly. Some considered firing without seeing what you are aiming at blind firing, and at least one other considered any shooting whatsoever without using your sights blind firing. This means point shooting, firing from the hip, or placing your stock on above your shoulder instead of against it was blind firing.

At some point during the end of the day, two refs began playing as civilians, who would open fire if you shot them on accident. They were invunerable. This was fine, except when they decided that the game was taking too long, so they began hunting campers. This was fine too, if they were truely hunting "campers". Instead of hanging out near the starting points like they should have (where the little kids camping were) they roamed all over the place, and ended up killing my small group that had just eliminated three people and was most definately on the move. What's more, the official that shot us was wearing a headband for our team. We hesitated to even run from him because we saw him coming well in advanced, and thought he was a teammate.

I was personally shot on accident by a ref that was pretending to shoot me, and it was actually loaded. Instead of an apology, all I received was "Woah, that's weird" because he didn't think it was loaded.

Their chronograph is messed up I'm pretty sure, chronoing low by 10-20fps. Not really a big deal I suppose if I'm right, but it does kind of throw their fps limit out the window.

I saw a ref from the observing balcony shooting down into the field. I don't know if he was shooting players or just shooting at walls to cause confusion, but either way it seemed strange to me.

Me and my team will never go there again unfortunately. It used to be good fun and a friendly environment, and now it seems like for whatever reason the place is nothing more than a rude paintball field, littered with rude staff and tons of young call of duty players that don't call their hits and don't understand surrender or die rules.

That blows. Was planning a trip up with some army buddies.

Lame

Don't bother. Their new slogan on their website, "It's like a video game in real life", should end all decision right there.

I'm sad to see it go, really I am. It used to be such an awesome place. Other things that really bothered me that I thought of since I posted the first post;

The ref talked to ALL of us like we were stupid. He'd constantly tell people to shut up in a harsh tone when giving instructions (don't be confused, these were not safety breifings, they were nothing more than "ok the game is starting" or "five minute break"), and in between rounds would give general statements about how the guests didn't play correctly because of our tactics and some campers. I was both confused and offended at this; I didn't pay thirty bucks to get told to shut up and that we can't play correctly.

No more scenario games except for a small timeblock on saturdays for a higher price. This is really upsetting to me, since one of the best parts of tacoma tactical was the staff's willingness to make up scenarios randomly through out the day to mix up the gameplay.

One of the desk workers got snooty about filling gas guns in the front room or ready room. He told us we weren't allowed because he didn't like the smell of propane, so we have to do it in the feild our outside. I don't recall this being a rule anywhere on their website or their instructional safety video, and coupled with the attitude the guy flipped at us, it seemed more like a power trip because he didn't want to bother with it.

Another employee commented on how me and my teammates were foolish to use propane. He told us (again, condescendingly) that green gas was better and that "well, MY guns won't be drying up". He told us that propane was dangerous and ruins guns. Obviously he didn't know that I've researched the matter extensively, and that his facts were quite false.

The refs didn't even know what the current game's condition was half the time. More than once I was shot by a ref because they didn't realize the game was over and I did, so I broke cover and put away my gun. At least one of these times was when I, myself, killed the last bad guy, which irritated me.

A new rule that they didn't do before is no green lasers are allowed. Red lasers are. Both cause eye damage. Green lasers a little more possibly, but if safety was really the concern, then why not ban all lasers? The only reason I bring this up is because for one, the only worthwhile laser I have is green and I was planning on using it that day, and two, I remember in the past one of the refs talking about how those kind of lasers freaked him out and he wished no one used them.

And the granddaddy of all my disappointments: all of the things I've stated in this thread, never used to be this way.

This is unfortunate, as I was planning to go there soon, you all present legitimist concerns but do you think perhaps you may be exaggerating their behavior? For instance, Karland, I personally would like no lasers in airsoft, save for the low-powered types that you would use simply for aesthetic appeal; however the issue of enforcing low-powered types only would be difficult so I would just exclude them all, same opinion on training flash bangs due to the high decibel count.

Over emphasis on safety I consider a huge plus, but if you guys are claiming that the refs themselves are being arrogant and disrespectful to their customers, then I’m disappointed. Shooting people from the observing balconies?! Are there any other indoor airsoft facilities in Washington State, I would like my first CQB experience to be positively memorable.

I am not exaggerating in the least bit. In fact, I may even be under-stating my experience, because I may be forgetting other things that happened while we were there.

Yes, they were definately firing off the observation balcony down into the field. As I said, I am not sure exactly what they were targeting, but I don't think that really matters.

Reading that disturbed me as an off again on again ref for the past decade no self respecting ref should ever carry a gun onto a field of play let alone shoot players.....If I lived in the area I would certainly not play there.

I have posted these same concerns on airsoft forums in the PacNW. These criticisms were not taken well by their owner, Hellmutt, and he ultimately responded by banning me from the facility (after I made a very jokingly, ":censored2: his guys for taking all the Ranger spots" at a local impression game), and threatened to ban the rest of my team because of me. Funny thing is, my team used to go there weekly. Now, because of the behavior of the staff and there blatant disregard for their OWN rules, they now play there rarely. In fact, we prefer playing with a group of new players who have major hit-calling problems than going to TacTac and suffering there.

To add a similar story of Karland getting shot by a ref; at their old facility, there was a ref (a 17 year old who always walked around in ACUs, wearing US Army tapes), who was screwing around in the ready room (where no loaded weapons are allowed) with a pistol. The pistol ended up being LOADED, and he was pointing it at people that were not wearing eye protection. He was confronted about it by two US Army soldiers, who had recently returned from deployment in Iraq, and he merely talked down to them, shrugged them off, and walked away.

It's a waste of money, simple as that. Like you, I stopped going there because I don't want to pay $20-30 to get talked down to by some teenagers and 20 year olds who think they know everything there is about airsoft, when they regularly show that they know next to nothing. The fact that they have made 12 year old kids act as refs because the actual ref couldn't be bothered to do his job shows the caliber of this facilities staff.

There are a couple guys that I like there, and are extremely helpful, but the overwhelming majority are arrogant and condescending. It's unfortunate, as it seems that because they are the only CQB facility in Western WA, they feel like they can get away with doing whatever they want, because they have a monopoly on the market.

Karland, I would highly suggest that you post this on local forums such as 1st-Sword, AirsoftPacific, and TacomaAirsoft, because a lot of the Western WA community does not frequent this forum.

Edited by OPD Explorer Day

As has been said, the facility has been going downhill. Do not get me wrong, I enjoy the trips for the most part, and there are a couple guys there that I would like to say are my friends. I still go occasionally, but that might change due to my latest experience:

My last trip was fairly...eh to say the least. When I first walked in, I was greeted by those who knew me, whom I greeted in return, and went to pay the fees, and walked out onto the field. It was at that time that I realized that one of the people walking around behind the counter could be no more than about 12 or 13. By no means am I making a judgement call based on age, but I simply noted it as odd. Later on, that same 13 year old ended up reffing the games, during which I was disappointed. He did a fairly poor job of reffing to say the least, and I think everyone out there was happier when one of the more tenured staff members came out to take his place.

About the attitude towards out-of-game dialogue, I would have to side with the refs there. People have a tendency to not listen when the ref is explaining the game, so a little force is needed, and a little force never killed anyone. I admit it did get annoying when a couple people wouldn't shut up so the rest could hear what the plan was.

Another thing (minor for me), is that for a short time during the day I decided to ditch my kit and run around with a rubber knife to see what would happen, and just for lolz. I left my wep and kit on the sidelines of the field. During a game, I got "killed", and it was a die-in-place game, so I laid down on the floor to await my resurrection. As I sat there, I noticed that the admin on the platform overhead had my gun in his hands, and was shooting at campers (people staying in-place too long, prolonging the game). It wasn't a huge issue for me, and I suspect that he only had my gun because we did in fact know each other, so it very probably wouldn't have happened with anybody else, but it would have been nice had he requested that he use my gun and painfully-bought bbs. :/

Aside from that, there was at least one other issue that sorta struck me. I had no problems with it directed at me individually (I'm assuming because I'm a known face there), but I did notice that some of the staff members were displaying somewhat condescending behavior towards some of the other customers, such as "check again, I'm right", etc. It didn't happen very often during that 6 hours (twice or thrice maybe), but it is something to be improved.

Again, I will be a return customer to TacTac, I simply propose that these issues be rectified for future experiences.