to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
mike_mcnair

sig 552 Commando took a crap

this is my first AEG, and I bought it for my son. it was an absolute BLAST to shoot for the first 30 minutes, then, it started doing this......

I don't even know what to do, how to get inside this thing, what to look for, I am lost. I am however VERY WELL VERSED with RC cars, and I see some of the parts are similar, so that MAY HELP in my understanding of whatever you guys suggest.

I appreciate your help in advance!!!!!

please click on pic to see video of what its doing. this is with the motor pulled back from the gears, and the sound it makes when the motor is pressed up against the gears (nor hard tho) and I tried to get a shot in the little hole up top where I can clearly see a gear spinning.

th_b6f235e0.jpg

this is my first AEG, and I bought it for my son. it was an absolute BLAST to shoot for the first 30 minutes, then, it started doing this......

I don't even know what to do, how to get inside this thing, what to look for, I am lost. I am however VERY WELL VERSED with RC cars, and I see some of the parts are similar, so that MAY HELP in my understanding of whatever you guys suggest.

I appreciate your help in advance!!!!!

please click on pic to see video of what its doing. this is with the motor pulled back from the gears, and the sound it makes when the motor is pressed up against the gears (nor hard tho) and I tried to get a shot in the little hole up top where I can clearly see a gear spinning.

th_b6f235e0.jpg

I believe your motor height is off. There should be a little screw on the bottom of the grip to adjust the motor height. Search on YouTube on how to do it.

see, that's what I was trying to show in the vid, when I move the motor closer and further away it makes no change.

I adjusted it in EVERY TINY increment I could, and still the same.

do I need somethign like this...

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/produc...catid=&cat=

or something like this?

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=6948

or, does anyone know how to actually disassemble this dam thing so I can find the broken part? I am down to the just the handle and the trigger and the mech box, but can't figure out how to get that stuff apart :(

Guest alberty

Those are not the parts you're looking for.

I also think that it's a motor height problem because your very first press of the trigger made the gearbox cycle, or at least something moved correctly. After that first shot, it kept sounding worse. The screeching is when the pinion is scratching something incorrectly (the worst sound), and the "freely spinning" sound sounds like you just let the motor go so low that it was completely away from the gearbox.

Try to adjust it close to where it started in the video and fine tune from there. If it's still bad, then you should disassemble the gearbox to see if anything is misaligned or needs replacing.

I think another possibility is that if there's some kind of disc that adjusts the motor height, maybe it got misaligned from the motor plate.

If you've checked, and ruled out the motor height, the only other thing I can think of is maybe your piston is stripped. My old SPR made a similar sound, and was in fact the piston. Since it sounds like the motor is turning at least one or more gears, Id guess the piston. The only way to tell for sure, is to completely disassemble the rest of your Sig. Examine the pinion gear when taking the motor off, for wear and tear. Next open you GB and check all the parts.

Opening your GB shouldn't be to difficult. There are tons of videos online to walk you through, step by step. Mechbox.com is a good place to start, if you need assistance. Good luck.

thanks guys! I will double check, but I swear I have tried EVERY SETTING POSSIBLE on the motor height, so I fear it is the "piston".

where does one find parts for this? it is a swiss arms sig 552 commando, if that means anything.

For parts I usually check out khmountain, eHobbyAsia, Evike or Redwolf. Any standard AEG piston should work. You can find disassembly videos on youtube.

The SIG uses a V3 gearbox.

Also, two of the better guides that I know of for disassembling a SIG are http://www.858airsoft.com/howtos/sig552disam.html and http://www.airsofthacks.com/2007/11/tm-sig...-upgrade-guide/. Once you get down to the gearbox, there are plenty of other videos and guides of how to deal with the internals of the gearbox. Do be aware that the SIG 552's disassembly is a little more involved than some other guns. Once you figure out all the little tricks about opening it up, it's not anywhere near as bad as some people will lead you to believe. Also, when you take it apart, take note of the way all the gears and stuff are assembled on the outside of the gearbox.

ok, I found the issue. it appears that the axles on the gears are sliding out, so I put a piece of tape over the holes and they are staying in tight.

is there anyway to prevent this from happening PROPERLY? I am sure duct tape is not the normal solution.

By the way you worded that, it sounds like your gearbox needs a "shim job". There are plenty of guides on how to do it online. Evike has some good quality shims (G&P).

By the way you worded that, it sounds like your gearbox needs a "shim job". There are plenty of guides on how to do it online. Evike has some good quality shims (G&P).

thanks bro, I have shims, so lemme see what I can do. BUT.......

I found another issue, and I need parts FFAASSSTTTTTTT, it looks like the bar in the bottom of this pic....

Gears_AK_Selector_lg.jpg

c9a23bca.jpg

it is the gear and shaft (and screw and OTHER gear) that connect the ambidextrous selector. mine is DEAD. like, not repairable. I need it fast!!!! I will pay for overnight shipping I don't care.

please HALP!!! wherre do I find this?

Sadly, there are not too many places you can get spare SIG parts, like the selector mechanism. There are very few places that even sell the spare parts for the TM version, and that particular piece I don't think is really sold separate from the whole gearbox (which is going to be expensive to get as well, and for the same amount of money, you could almost buy a new JG SIG). The best bet would be to find someone with a boneyard or cheap JG SIG that they're selling, whether or not it functions. The other option would possibly be to buy the complete JG SIG gearbox on Evike: http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=31745. It's possible that's not even in stock despite saying it is, and at $65, it might be worth it to try to just find a broken or used JG SIG, since they sometimes sell in the $70-80 range. Make sure not to buy the DE SIG 552 (I.e. the DE M82), since it's an LPEG that doesn't use the same selector assembly.

Sadly, there are not too many places you can get spare SIG parts, like the selector mechanism. There are very few places that even sell the spare parts for the TM version, and that particular piece I don't think is really sold separate from the whole gearbox (which is going to be expensive to get as well, and for the same amount of money, you could almost buy a new JG SIG). The best bet would be to find someone with a boneyard or cheap JG SIG that they're selling, whether or not it functions. The other option would possibly be to buy the complete JG SIG gearbox on Evike: http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=31745. It's possible that's not even in stock despite saying it is, and at $65, it might be worth it to try to just find a broken or used JG SIG, since they sometimes sell in the $70-80 range. Make sure not to buy the DE SIG 552 (I.e. the DE M82), since it's an LPEG that doesn't use the same selector assembly.

thanks man!!! the seller told me he may have an extra for me, so I sure as hell hope so!!!