baobamonk

The Well AW. .338 neverending supressor nightmare

So this will be my 2nd or 3rd month long search of trying to find a solution to the thread protector replacement for the flashider, it is ... 1.5 pitch-- it's 18 tpi (threads per inch) it's 15-16 mm deep and the Outer Diameter is (17mm) So I search and search, NO luck on just the thread protector part, I THINK I finally find it and Order one... and it's just a rubber codom type thing, I send that back and just say I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the whole Guarder brand ( L96 surpressor type "A")...I finally even find one (everybody's out of stock on this item in the world) so I order THAT... and find out that it's got a 14mm screw on the end where you would connect it with the barrel...well mine is smooth without any threads and even if I bore out the threads, the tightening collar is purely cosmetic and wouldn't attach anyway, so I think "oh I'll just unscrew the knurled thread protector and attach that to my existing flashider, NOOOOO the thread protector is purely cosmetic as well! I'm going to send that guarder L96 surpressor back as well...It cost me a small fortune anyway. Now I think I'll just try to find the right looking thread protector in 5/8ths, since nobody seems to have the metric 17mm one, and try to grind it down or tap it out it to the metric size? maybe I will someday conquer this annoying little project!

I just need the little piece, the thread protector laying seperate in the picture!!! How hard is this to find!!??!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!??!!!

post-50874-1301696588_thumb.jpg

Edited by nibaroo

Go to the local hardware store; get the correct size nut; spray paint the nut black; ta-da!

Yeah I've thought of that, and have gotten a 5/8 nut, but it would need to be tapped out / wouldn't be knurled, Or look right, AND nobody has the strange large metric threading 17mm OD, even if they did, it wasn't in 18tpi...1.5 pitch, I looked online for this threading as well, and the diameter isn't right.

Edited by nibaroo

I have that same gun, and I want to put a supressor on it so bad I can taste it. But it didnt look readily dooable to me.

Im still waiting to figure it out in my head. Heck, after all the time Ive had it, I just got a second mag for it.

I wish someone had done a supressor for this gun successfully. But I think you would have to take off the muzzle break and then fix the supressor on from there.

Hate to have to contact a machinist and pay a couple bucks to get everything perfect huh?

No, not really...I was just wanting to do it cheaply, I thought somewhere on this big planet there was an aftermarket thread protector cap ALREADY made for this gun so why spend 50 bucks or more, when I could get it for 9 dollars? Plus my friend kind of scared me off going to a machinist because he said it would take a REALLY good one to do threading like that, and that translated to "this is going to cost WAAAAY too much" in my head!

No, not really...I was just wanting to do it cheaply, I thought somewhere on this big planet there was an aftermarket thread protector cap ALREADY made for this gun so why spend 50 bucks or more, when I could get it for 9 dollars? Plus my friend kind of scared me off going to a machinist because he said it would take a REALLY good one to do threading like that, and that translated to "this is going to cost WAAAAY too much" in my head!

threading like that is not complicated at all... im 15 and have been in shop for 3-4 months, and I could do that with the right tap. Just need to cut it small enough, knurl it, drill the hole, and tap it. The only "hard part" would be not rushing and having to make sure it is straight haha :a-laugh: Also most machinists tap with a lathe, so very small chance of error. If your quest goes on far too long, just try the machinist out if you are going to go crazy haha.

threading like that is not complicated at all... im 15 and have been in shop for 3-4 months, and I could do that with the right tap. Just need to cut it small enough, knurl it, drill the hole, and tap it. The only "hard part" would be not rushing and having to make sure it is straight haha :a-laugh: Also most machinists tap with a lathe, so very small chance of error. If your quest goes on far too long, just try the machinist out if you are going to go crazy haha.

Yeah, good advice! I wouldn't even care if it was a bit expensive at this point, but I have a couple more things to try with the el-cheapo route first! If THAT doesn't pan out, I'm just going to tap out another thread protector till it fits! (finding the right looking one is a pain so far though.)

I managed to find a vid on

that has a guy shooting his G96D with a suppressor on it.

Unfortunatly hes french and the language barrier is being a bit rough on me. But I asked him what it was he had. And he seemd to have responded that it was a gemtech Madbull suppressor and it was on by the Flash hider.

Im going to attempt to babbelfish him a couple more times and see if I can learn more of how he did it.

Edit: I spoke with the french gentleman again, and this time he gave me a link to his forum. When you get the pop up, click the lower left option and it will go away.

And the text at the top of the page translates to this.

For my counterpart of the sniper Well G96D, it was necessary obligatorily a silencer for me. A sniper is made locate if not… J' thus chose MadBull Gemtech Halo, which with the characteristic to be able to assemble itself on the ends of gun. Because the problem of the WELL g96D, c' is that the threading of the gun n' am not 14mm thus I cannot put a normal silencer. To install this MadBull, j' thus dismounted the flash-concealer, and simply kept the part which is screwed in the gun. Then I return it in the silencer, screws l' end which will maintain it in place, and I can thus screw the whole in the gun…
Roughly.

So, it looks to me like you take off the flash suppressor, and fix this gemtech silencer on the gun. Looks cool.

Edited by Ronin055

I managed to find a vid on
that has a guy shooting his G96D with a suppressor on it.

Unfortunatly hes french and the language barrier is being a bit rough on me. But I asked him what it was he had. And he seemd to have responded that it was a gemtech Madbull suppressor and it was on by the Flash hider.

Im going to attempt to babbelfish him a couple more times and see if I can learn more of how he did it.

Edit: I spoke with the french gentleman again, and this time he gave me a link to his forum. When you get the pop up, click the lower left option and it will go away.

And the text at the top of the page translates to this. Roughly.

So, it looks to me like you take off the flash suppressor, and fix this gemtech silencer on the gun. Looks cool.

that does look cool!..... AGGGHHH I'm a mock supressor Professional enough already though! No I WILL not buy one...really I won't!

I looked into it, and I found someone who has the Gemtech Halo silencer, and its only like 27$ plus 5 shipping, because it doesnt say gemtech on it. LoL.

So ya, Ill be getting that for my gun soon. Gotta have the suppressor on my Sniper Rifle.

And OP, I apologize. I re-read and reallize now that you are talking about your Flash hider, not a suppressor. I got all amped up, skimmed and posted. But then realized a bit ago that we are talking about two different suppressors. LoL. So I apologize for going off topic on your thread.

I looked into it, and I found someone who has the Gemtech Halo silencer, and its only like 27$ plus 5 shipping, because it doesnt say gemtech on it. LoL.

So ya, Ill be getting that for my gun soon. Gotta have the suppressor on my Sniper Rifle.

And OP, I apologize. I re-read and reallize now that you are talking about your Flash hider, not a suppressor. I got all amped up, skimmed and posted. But then realized a bit ago that we are talking about two different suppressors. LoL. So I apologize for going off topic on your thread.

Hey no problem, I was glad to see it, it sure is pretty. Haaa ha ....."suppressor PROFESSIONAL" that made my day! I typed something else...I was tired, I guess that WAS a bit racy!

WOW...finally got this problem taken care of! That was WAAAAY too long to spend on such a tiny problem! Anyway I ended up ordering the thread protector from the real steel manufacturer, and TA-DA... this time they sent me the right part and not some rubber cap for $14 dollars! I went to screw it on and it wouldn't go? After a few measurements and screwing up the threads(I got mad and tried to force it) and the thread protector cap actually cut some metal off the muzzlebrake! I showed it to a machinist who said "Oh they are opposite thread direction from each other" GREAT! I finally just took a grinder to the muzzlebrake's threads and ground it down until the thread protector would screw the "right" way CCW...Then I realized they didn't send a socket set screw, so I had to search around for the right size one which was Not metric, and the only one in town, in Black was too long, so I took a dremel to that too, carving it down to 1/2 it's original size, and after losing it 3 times and 12 tries to get the set screw hole to lie at the bottom of the muzzlebrake when I screwed the thread protector on...It is FINALLY complete and looks damn good! I hope I never have to work that hard and long for such a stupid little problem again, I KNOW other people want the real steel look for this rifle and I just wonder how THEY tackled it?

He doesnt seem mad to me. Just Finished with what hes doing,

Im glad you got it all worked out. Im finally going to order my suppressor in the next week or so. I had the money, but I spent it on a third magazine. Meh, oh well.

Anyway, if your interested, Ill post pics or vid of how to put that on.

Ha ha, No just relieved to finally have this problem behind me...now onto figuring out why my well AW .338 only shoots 30 feet!

30ft as in 30 ft straight or fly 30ft then hit the ground?

30 feet and it hits the ground! MAYBE 40 feet on the first shot, then the range drops with every shot afterward.

You've checked to make sure everything needed is air sealed?

It can also be that your magazine isnt seating properly. Or that the gas chamber of the magazine has slid down a bit inside the shell. You may find that the bb holder part of the magazine is loose on the gas resivor. And that can cause the gas resivor to be able to drop down a small bit and then the hammer doesnt hit it hard enough. At least I have one magazine that does that.

Yes definatly check the hop up. But since on this gun the whole bucking is inside the hop up chamber, I don't know. Id have to see it.

But, if its a gas issue, all you have to do is slide off the floor plate on the magazine, and press gently on the bottom of the gas resivor. If it moves a bit up inside the outter shell of the magazine, you may have found your pressure problem. Fire it that way and see whats up.

Keep us posted.