wepen935k

Bad News for CA

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011...d-shooting.html

Penal Code Section 12550© classifies Airsoft guns as "BB devices" and "Imitation Firearms".

Any traction in this bill would force full coloration of airsoft guns.

Most likely section 12556(d)(3)(4)(6) will still be preserved should this bill (however unlikely) ever go into effect.

I hope this bill does not pass.

Definitely thought you meant Classic Army....

And thats ridiculous. I know Cali has some crazy gun laws, but thats going a little far. Better yet, Instead of banning Airsoft guns, lets just teach Gun safety... "If you point anything that looks like a weapon at an LEO, You probably will be shot"

Like this would help anything... Criminals will just paint their guns bright colors, which will lead to more officers getting killed.

+1

NY mobsters and gangsters were known to paint orange tips on their glocks and other firearms...made way too many LEO's hesitate.

Definitely thought you meant Classic Army....

And thats ridiculous. I know Cali has some crazy gun laws, but thats going a little far. Better yet, Instead of banning Airsoft guns, lets just teach Gun safety... "If you point anything that looks like a weapon at an LEO, You probably will be shot"

Seconded on the Classic Army.. Was kind of scared since I own 3 of these. It sounds like California is trying to put you all is a society based prison without the bars. I doubt this will pass, but you never know with these dumba** politicians these days. IMO I just think the cop feared for his life, considering all the crime and gangs in CA. I still say that is no excuse for almost offing a 13 yr old kid. Police are trained for a reason, but half of them are just trying to get by with a good steady job and shouldn't be out there in the first place.

*facepalm*..... I cannot facepalm hard enough....

1: Why is a 13 year old playing with an Airsoft gun without his parents watching?

2: Why is he playing in a PUBLIC PARK!?!?!? Alone, at night at that.

3: How does making an Airsoft/Pellet gun bright orange make anyone safer?

4: How does this stop a gang member from painting his REAL gun orange, and then using it against an officer who now thinks it's fake? That makes the whole thing MORE dangerous, more so than less dangerous.

5: Why are Cali Senators taking action against the whole game? Do they think it's just easier to pick on a little hobby than to take REAL mature action?

6: Why are these morons saying an airsoft gun is a pellet gun? Hasn't it already been established that airsoft guns are NOT pellet guns a thousand times now?

7: Why did the officer shoot in the first place? He should have told the kid to put the gun down first, and if the kid shot at him, he would have instantly known it was not real. The fault is with the kid doing stupid @#$% with the airsoft gun, and the officer that shot him.

I hope to god this bill gets laughed at by people with real common sense. Making it mandatory to paint toy guns bright colors does nothing; making it so gun manufacturers cannot paint real guns the same bright colors would be more effective. Training police officers to verify a situation first would be worth a lot more while. Teaching teens to not be so retarded would basically fix all of this as a whole....

Edited by Jerichow

*facepalm*..... I cannot facepalm hard enough....

1: Why is a 13 year old playing with an Airsoft gun without his parents watching?

2: Why is he playing in a PUBLIC PARK!?!?!? Alone, at night at that.

3: How does making an Airsoft/Pellet gun bright orange make anyone safer?

4: How does this stop a gang member from painting his REAL gun orange, and then using it against an officer who now thinks it's fake? That makes the whole thing MORE dangerous, more so than less dangerous.

5: Why are Cali Senators taking action against the whole game? Do they think it's just easier to pick on a little hobby than to take REAL mature action?

6: Why are these morons saying an airsoft gun is a pellet gun? Hasn't it already been established that airsoft guns are NOT pellet guns a thousand times now?

7: Why did the officer shoot in the first place? He should have told the kid to put the gun down first, and if the kid shot at him, he would have instantly known it was not real. The fault is with the kid doing stupid @#$% with the airsoft gun, and the officer that shot him.

I hope to god this bill gets laughed at by people with real common sense. Making it mandatory to paint toy guns bright colors does nothing; making it so gun manufacturers cannot paint real guns the same bright colors would be more effective. Training police officers to verify a situation first would be worth a lot more while. Teaching teens to not be so retarded would basically fix all of this as a whole....

Who's sponsoring it? Spam their inboxes, etc.

Politicians don't have common sense and people are stupid, so guess what will happen.

Parenting properly is too hard. People are stupid. Guess how suggesting to parents "hey, do your job" will pan out.

Overall it's not the fault of the responsible airsofter. It's the overall fault of the community. Who's going to be on the short end of the stick? The responsible airsofter.

To hell with politics. That's why I stay out of it. Nothing good happens. It slowly gets worse an worse while they are up there making it ok or almost mandatory.

....yea....

The real question would be "what would airsoft companies based in California have to do?"

Don't forget KWA.

Well, they'd probably be pissed. The :pain: head sponsoring this bill is from L.A., which is Airsoft Haven in CA.

....yea....

The real question would be "what would airsoft companies based in California have to do?"

Don't forget KWA.

They should move to FL....similar weather, and we are pretty conservative/not liberal pansy-wads :D

Edited by jonathanMP5

How would making it mandatory to paint an Airsoft gun, or as they so ignorantly put it "a pellet gun" bright colors reduce accidents like this? It would do the opposite, criminals will just paint their real guns, causing the PO's to stall in pulling the trigger, in my opinion, if your pointing a gun at someone, whether its a toy or not, expect to get shot.

This is just stupid.

Leave it to cali to make this bill. And if this goes through, we would just paint the guns black 0.0.

They should take a look at how big the airsoft community and realize that only 1/800,000 people don't take appropriate actions with these replicas, and then you compare that to how many people don't take appropriate actions with real guns. Real guns are much more prominent, And don't take those away, I love my Kar98.

Edited by airsoftking95

back in the 80s during the Lazer Tag craze, a kid was shot by a cop, while playing in a school. Cop came around the corner. It was dark, Kid fired toy gun, cop saw "muzzle flash" and had knee jerk reaction. Bang Bang, dead kid.

Later that year, a child was home in an appartment in (I think) NYC. Loud TV. Cops come a knocking thinking domestic violence. No response. Cops make entry. Small child playing with a toy gun pops up over the couch and goes bang bang pointing a "gun" at the cop. NYPD fired first.

So you see, this is nothing new. Nothing new at all.

If you brandish a fireare looking device at cops, you will get shot. If your 5, or 55, the cop will instintivily make the move that will ensure his safty when his training tells him hes threatened.

Moral of the story is, be careful, be aware, be cautious, with how you may be misinturpurted with your airsoft gun.

Some of the following is Fluff, some are good facts, but it does provide a good idea of how this type of subject is viewed by others.

Wow, while some of those incidents were acts of genuine stupidity, and/or ignorance on the part of the toy gun owners...It really proves that a lot of cops are just idiots...They have been trained for this kinda stuff, and yet they can't tell the difference between a real gun, and a lazer tag gun?!?

Lazer tag guns look like this...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...366&bih=643

Real guns looks like this...

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=e...mp;aql=&oq=

Anyways, there are to many on that page to quote that show the idiocy of some cops out there, as well as some civilians, read through the whole thing and you'll see what I mean...Wow...

In all fairness to the officer involved, if I remember correctly at the time, it was reported that the incident occurred at night.

And often, when you see the flash, you may not hear the shot in the shock of the moment. And I remember that it was reported back then that the kid thought the cop was another player. And they were playing on a high school campus. So the report was people running around on campus. The police responded. And then the shooting occurred. I mean heck, the cop had no idea, the kid had no idea. But it was all a tragedy still the same..

This only further reinforces the point that it's the moron who thinks "Ha lololol I can get away with playing airsoft in a public park, man think of all of the cover! Police won't get called on us!"

And then after a few lucky successful times, they turn around and think, "Hey, night games would be awesome!"

And then a suspicious neighbor or person in the area finally gets nervous enough to call the cops, and said scene ends up happening.

The moral of the story is the cop has got to treat each situation like that person's got a real gun with the real intention of killing a cop if they show up on scene. I have had cops show up to where we were playing airsoft at the private owned land of my landlord's trailer park, and have had 2 AR-15's pointed at me. What did I do? I sure as hell didn't point my P90 up at them and pull the trigger, I held it down, took the mag out and held it by the butt stock away from the trigger and slowly walked towards them with it held out to my side.

I have never been shot, and I have only come close, even in low-light situations. Why? I'm not an idiot that points their gun at a police officer thinking it's funny or a joke.

" On January 19, 2006, in Valley Glen, California, a fourth-grader was shot in the chest while at recess at Kittredge Street Elementary School, by a plastic pellet fired by an Airsoft pistol, shot by a 16-year old in an apartment across from school." - The fact sheet previously posted.

I blame these new "safety" laws on idiots like this.

Laws like this always seem like a knee-jerk reaction to the acts of people who can't think clearly for whatever reason. I really hope this does not pass, but I'm not holding any hope considering how our state is going fricken' bankrupt.

The questions I have are, what happens for us who already have a sizeable collection of airsoft guns? I would assume we get to keep them the way they are similar to how people who owned certain firearms pre-FAWB get to keep theirs. Also, what happens to the retailers and their existing stocks of airsoft guns? Do they get to sell the ones they have now as are (if this passes) and then import only airsoft guns with painted/colored receivers? Or do they have to modify them all before selling them? If we are forced to buy colored receivers, once we have them, will we be allowed to paint them black/change them out? This really seems to screw over retailers either way.

This is just plain stupid. Orange tips is already a dumb enough law, this is just over the top. And people should know that if you point a gun anywhere near a LEO, you should expect to be shot.

Best solution to attacking the problem I believe would be to have licensing classes for airsoft.

If you are a registered airsofter then you are part of the airsoft community. Event hosters and Retailers should have this, kind of like a Airsoft PIN.

If you are violation of it then you lose your privalages.

Those who are caught with airsoft guns and are breaking laws but are not registered will be punished but it won't affect the registered airsoft community.

Definitely an age limit and more specialized classes dedicated to minors.

Case in point, treat airsoft guns like real guns.

Best solution to attacking the problem I believe would be to have licensing classes for airsoft.

If you are a registered airsofter then you are part of the airsoft community. Event hosters and Retailers should have this, kind of like a Airsoft PIN.

Those who are caught with airsoft guns and are breaking laws but are not registered will be punished but it won't affect the registered airsoft community.

Are you kind of saying serial every gun when it's made and then register it when it's purchased?

PP

no he's saying that you should have an airsoft license kinda like how (most) real steel owners need to have a foid.

FOID cards are only issued in Illinois. It is one of many dumb gun laws that we have. I believe every other state does not require or use them, and I believe every state but Illinois and Wisconsin have concealed or open carry permits.

While having a airsoft register is good in theory, it will give the government a whole new way of regulating the sport, just like they do with real firearms.

To be honest, the every day citizen just needs to become more educated and much less ignorant. Government officials need to slow down and think rather than getting their panties into a wad, and people in general just need to use some common sense. Back when my dad was young (heck even when I was young) kids could run around playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians using cap guns that looked real, and no one freaked out over it.

But...you can't fix stupid.

Edited by airborne101

Regardless of whether or not a gun is painted, a cop will probably treat the threat as if the gun is real. Who's to say a criminal didn't paint their real gun neon green to catch a cop or random bystander off guard? Whenever people see a gun, replica or not, they will become nervous. If I see someone with a gun in public I will be a little tense. Not because of the gun, but because I don't trust the person's handling of the gun. This applies to both airsoft and real steel.

My point in this is that a law like this won't work. It's a concept with a good cause that will fail in application.

IF this law were to pass, there should be a clause allowing the removal of the bright paint only to those who own a firearms license. These people aren't the stupid ones running around Time Square with guns anyway.

Edited by DannyRL

+1, I say we should do this, just like in the UK.

FOID cards are only issued in Illinois. It is one of many dumb gun laws that we have. I believe every other state does not require or use them, and I believe every state but Illinois and Wisconsin have concealed or open carry permits.

While having a airsoft register is good in theory, it will give the government a whole new way of regulating the sport, just like they do with real firearms.

To be honest, the every day citizen just needs to become more educated and much less ignorant. Government officials need to slow down and think rather than getting their panties into a wad, and people in general just need to use some common sense. Back when my dad was young (heck even when I was young) kids could run around playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians using cap guns that looked real, and no one freaked out over it.

But...you can't fix stupid.

foid is IL only? The more you know, I guess.

^ Me neither. I've moved on to real-steel firearms and pretty much haven't had time to play airsoft in a looooong time (no outdoor games in 2 years, no cqb indoor games in a year) and have sold most of my airsoft guns (except for 2 rifles and 3 pistols) and still I will not follow this law and paint my guns neon orange or green or pink.

In any case, does this mean that guns you guys buy from CA will have to be shipped to your states all day-glo? Because that'll add an extra cost for AS players in different states, since you'll have to either paint the guns black again or buy new bodies...

As am I. I am not going to obey this law.

That's a great idea. While you're at it, don't obey any other laws that you think are stupid and don't apply to you because you know better and it couldn't possibly negatively affect you. And while you're at that, try giving all of the other law abiding airsofters a bad name.

The law is the law. Like it or not, you should follow it. That doesn't mean you can't petition to change it, but you have to follow it.