to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Rukus

Sidearms

I'm picking up my first AEG soon and have debated on wether to get a spinger pistol as my sidearm or not. On one hand I can use 0.12g cheap bbs in it without much worry, on the other hand its another $25 (for a decent one) that could be spent on my BDUs or extra magazines. Today I figured what if I had a more "unique" sidearm for those last resort situations I could use it in....perhaps plastic throwing knives >:D

Edited by Rukus

Personally, I would either get a decent pistol, or no pistol at all. If you get a sidearm, you should get a good one, you'll regret buying a cheap one later on. Go for either a decent GBB, or go the cheap route and buy the Crossman C11, it's decent, but doesn't have a hop-up. I used the C11 as a primary and sidearm for a good 2-3 years when I started airsoft, and it did better than most low end springers.

I have found that a sidearm really isn't needed. I have yet to run out of ammo or be caught with my pants down while reloading and end up needing one.

Take the money and buy some BDUs or an extra mag or two for your primary. Sidearms are fun to have, but not necessarily needed.

Edited by airborne101

I find sidearms to not even be close to being worth the cost you'll pay with the extra weight you carry. Don't even bother unless you have weight/money/space on your person to spare. Just carry an extra magazine and battery for your primary somewhere and you'll be fine.

On one hand I can use 0.12g cheap bbs in it without much worry,

Not really, any spring pistol actually worth bringing to a skirmish needs at least .2s. I actually have to use at least .23s in my TM USP, and can use up to .28.

As for whether or not it's necessary, I'd say it depends on if you trust your primary. If you have a reliable AEG with enough working magazines and batteries, you can get away with not having one. If one or more of those aren't met, then a sidearm may be a good idea.

Also, check with your field. I have a feeling mine would not allow throwing knives.

My gearbox locked up last weekend at a 24 hour milsim game.

I am known for being a player who doesn't carry useless crap onto the field with me. I ALWAYS have a sidearm. If I hadn't been packing my CZ that weekend I would have had to sit out the last 4 hours of the game. Instead I hid in a foxhole and popped anyone who came close. Sidearms are great.

Guest Gcommando36

I have a story similar to Disco Dante's. This Sunday I was at a memorial day big game, and my gun was having nearly constant motor height and lockup issues. Without my TM Five Seven I probably wouldn't have been able to play at all.

I have a story similar to Disco Dante's. This Sunday I was at a memorial day big game, and my gun was having nearly constant motor height and lockup issues. Without my TM Five Seven I probably wouldn't have been able to play at all.

I've had this happen multiple times. A battery croaks, a part breaks, whatever... I've always had my secondary to drop to. Not to mention, it's a heck of a lot of fun in CQB circumstances, and is just a good thing to tinker with.

However, I'd agree with the common sentiment- get a nice sidearm or none at all. I started with a SOCOM Gear 1911, at about $120. Depending on your budget, that can be a lot or a little, but I really felt I got good use out of it.

A well tuned gun will not go down in the field. There is no use for a Sidearm. Unless you are incredibly trigger happy, you shouldn't run out of mags. I can make my 5 MAG mid-caps last a whole battle even when shooting 60 rps.

Invest the money in upgrades for you gun, extra mags, a better battery, or a scope of some sort.

I have gotten several kills with a nerf sword...just gonna throw that out there...

I have found that a sidearm really isn't needed. I have yet to run out of ammo or be caught with my pants down while reloading and end up needing one.

Take the money and buy some BDUs or an extra mag or two for your primary. Sidearms are fun to have, but not necessarily needed.

Everything he says is true. I don't run a side arm and I use a DMR. The weight, they are super costly in terms of gas and mags, and the cost of the gun itself. Not to mention the holster and pistol mag pouches.

Unless you're in a game spanning a few hours if not days. I see no reason to have one. If you are in a game that long and your primary doesn't cut it. Grab a sub machine gun. But mags are SUPER expensive along with gas consumption and BB's.

Everything he says is true. I don't run a side arm and I use a DMR. The weight, they are super costly in terms of gas and mags, and the cost of the gun itself. Not to mention the holster and pistol mag pouches.

Unless you're in a game spanning a few hours if not days. I see no reason to have one. If you are in a game that long and your primary doesn't cut it. Grab a sub machine gun. But mags are SUPER expensive along with gas consumption and BB's.

They're not very heavy, and if fifty bucks a pop for two or three extra mags is too much, I think you may be playing the wrong sport. Holster and pistol mag pouches can be had for under 20 bucks each. Gas consumption is nothing if you use propane. Your sidearm won't hold more than 30 bbs, so if you had a full complement of mags you probably still wouldn't be over 100 bbs for your sidearm.

There are reasons to not get a sidearm, but your post doesn't contain many.

Side arms are a total waste.

Not true, what if your primary goes down? What if you are playing field and your primary is too close to use? A lot of other purposes arise as well. Just because a side arm is not needed, doesn't mean at all that it's a total waste.

bring 2 primaries, go back and get the other when your gun goes down. It's not like a pistol is very useful anyways 30 shots max (double stack) with 100 ft max range, probably more like 60 feet effective range.

Pistols are quite useful, just strategize your shots. Most gas/co2 powered pistols are surprisingly accurate. I tend to go toe to toe with AEG's and fair quite well with them. The only real downside is the magazine capacity, but like I said strategize your shots.

Pistols are quite useful, just strategize your shots. Most gas/co2 powered pistols are surprisingly accurate. I tend to go toe to toe with AEG's and fair quite well with them. The only real downside is the magazine capacity, but like I said strategize your shots.

Mag capacity isn't a problem when you're shooting guys who are packing GBBRs :) And a well upgraded pistol will be equally accurate and perhaps only marginally less well-ranged.

I think the problem here is that we're all coming at this issue from different styles of airsofting. If you play paintball with an airsoft rifle, you will not need a pistol. If you're playing MILSIM, it's probably a wise investment.

a well upgraded pistol will probably cost over $200. As far as the range thing goes I just don't see how anyone could get over 100 feet accurately with the short barrel length and short sight distance/bad parallax. All for what, 28 rounds? And since when does not playing milsim make you a paintballer? That's downright insulting.

a well upgraded pistol will probably cost over $200. As far as the range thing goes I just don't see how anyone could get over 100 feet accurately with the short barrel length and short sight distance/bad parallax. All for what, 28 rounds? And since when does not playing milsim make you a paintballer? That's downright insulting.

You really sound like you don't know how to use a pistol or ever fielded one. While 100+ft kill range is very possible even for the average 5" barreled pistol, going head to head against rifles at a distance is clearly not taking advantage of their merits. Let me ask you this, why is it that despite using just a pistol as my primary (not even a modernone, I use a Colt SAA, yes 6 shots only) I still manage to get quite a few kills on a given game day, this despite my opponents being armed with AEG's and hicaps?

My $0.02

Never a springer side-arm, whats the point.

Other than fun with it, you won't use any sidearm much at all (except my field has sidearm only matches sometimes). I've only had a single instance where a sidearm actually saved me, and that was when my battery died in mid skirmish. (and actually got a safety kill with the sidearm winning the round without firing a shot). However, they are very convenient if you're a in a sniper role. (So if someone does surprise you up close you can empty a mag at them).

If you do plan on getting one, unless you have plenty of spare cash, either spend $120 for something like a Socom Gear M9, or similarly priced gun, OR a Crossman CO2 pistol for $45, (which will probably require less maintenance anyhow).

Paying anything more is a waste unless you like fancy items, or want to collect, or have the money to burn.

(Not dissing more expensive sidearms, just saying they aren't necessary).

More often that not, my cross-draw vest has my pistol-grenade launcher, not my M9.

You are too thin skinned. Clearly there are numerous gradients in between speedball style airsoft with no real objectives other than "kill those guys" "capture the flag" or "protect the VIP", and hardcore MILSIM.

You are lucky that a well upgraded pistol will only cost you $200. A stock KJW or ARMY would start there for me, and my dollar is worth more than yours. I owned a TM 5-7 that could easily reach out past 100 feet on a measured range. Accurately at that. Obviously this isn't standard across airsoft pistols, I'm quite a collector and that's the only pistol I've owned that was capable of such feats. In my experience without full auto most casual airsofters can't hit me past 100 with their AEGs anyways.

Well, it seems the anti-sidearm party has taken a stranglehold on this thread. I use a sidearm like I use my M203; religously! In CQB, a good sidearm is indespensible to cover and return fire at two targets without having to swing the long gun around. In fact, I shoot right hand predominately and the pistol was on a lefthand crossdraw vest so I wouldnt have to drop the primary to access my sidearm. I use a Black Dragon and two double stack mags and I've been known to empty both in a single firefight.

Someone mentioned this already, but a pistol is a blast to use when laying in wait for enemies and it doesnt take a full auto to make a kill from 30 feet away. On an open field, a dropleg is a bit awkward to have, but a crossdraw vest or a hip holster solves that. And just like CQB, I can engage targets from two different angles without repositioning. So in short, there isnt much weight added vs additional mags/batteries for your rifle and the cost is negligible in terms of versatility on the field.

Wow, this is an intense thread. In my experience, a sidearm is not useful all the time, but when you need it becomes very useful. I however, believe that this has enough intimidation factor where I don't even have to shoot it.

Winning.

Now that is what I call a sidearm! You know they make holsters for those now. Just sayin...............

Now that is what I call a sidearm! You know they make holsters for those now. Just sayin...............

Finally. Carrying that thing around was a problem to be honest.

However, in order co contribute to the thread somewhat, I find that I can barely hit anything with a regular pistol anyway. I do have a small, cheap CO2 pistol that I use if I am out of propane.

I'm picking up my first AEG soon and have debated on wether to get a spinger pistol as my sidearm or not. On one hand I can use 0.12g cheap bbs in it without much worry, on the other hand its another $25 (for a decent one) that could be spent on my BDUs or extra magazines. Today I figured what if I had a more "unique" sidearm for those last resort situations I could use it in....perhaps plastic throwing knives >:D

Personally, I don't recommend getting a sidearm because it's so rare you find yourself using it on the field, this is what I tell people that are new to airsoft. I myself have a 3 year old WE M1911 and a 6 month old KWA M11 (spent $340 on both, if I could go back in time, I'd use the money for something else.) It's not often you find yourself in a sticky situation like that, anyway. Use the money on extra magazines and conserve your ammo.

- Did you know that soldiers on the battlefield don't normally carry a pistol. Pistols are usually carried by high ranking officers (that aren't on the field.)

:a-famerican:

any word from OP (rukus) on what he's decided?

Here's my take on the sidearm issue:

I always believe in being prepared. I have run out of mags or have batteries die during long games. Switching to my sidearm allowed me to continue playing.

That being said, it is rare for those events from occurring, since I like being prepared with spare mags and spare batteries.

I think the deciding factor would be the type of fields you play at. Fields with CQB elements (buildings, tight confined spaces) should warrant a nice semi-automatic (at least) side arm. Springers aren't gonna cut it indoors. Fields without CQB probably don't need sidearms.