to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
army4god

One DIY mod not to do

Alright, well a little while ago I got myself a sniper rifle, a Well MB02 vsr clone to be exact. So of course I was itching to increase my fps and range without spending money. So I heard of this cool mod of putting electric tape on the cylinder head nozzle to increase fps slightly. I then took my gun apart and did it along with other mods that all worked fine! I just covered the tip like your supposed to and made sure it was stuck on really good, I looked at pictures on it and read like 10 different peoples guides to doing it and at first it worked! It shot slightly harder but not much further at all:( and after about 200 shots the tape came off and went into my barrel:( My gun cant shoot now until I get it out and in my idea it isn't worth the trouble. It doesn't just happen to me either, I have read lots of places where people had the same trouble. So everyone who is looking for cheap mods to improve your gun don't do this one! It does not make your gun more accurate, it does not make it shoot farther, and it barely makes a difference in fps.

Just thought I would post this to help out anyone looking into this modification.

Why did you use electrical tape? Couldn't you have used a material better suited for that?

For example, I'm sure heat-shrink could have worked a lot better by forming a completely even and tight seal around the air nozzle. Not to mention it would be pretty difficult for it to accidentally fall off (or will it? I'm not completely sure).

I should experiment with that!

And by the way, it shouldn't be that hard to clean the tape out of your barrel. You are using a cleaning rod, right?

I also had the same thing happen to me. But remember, fps does not equal range, though it slightly helps.

This mod is more for a consistent air-seal which equals accuracy. The extra FPS is only a small bonus.

Edited by Neotyguy40

Fingernail polish works the best. Add on the layers manually... let them dry 30-60 minutes apart. Very tedious but the best bet all around.

Fingernail polish works the best. Add on the layers manually... let them dry 30-60 minutes apart. Very tedious but the best bet all around.

I'm not really an expert on fingernail polish XD

But wouldn't the nail-polish get all over the bucking? Not to mention dirty up the barrel quickly.

I don't really know the physical properties of nail polish.

Alright, well a little while ago I got myself a sniper rifle, a Well MB02 vsr clone to be exact. So of course I was itching to increase my fps and range without spending money. So I heard of this cool mod of putting electric tape on the cylinder head nozzle to increase fps slightly. I then took my gun apart and did it along with other mods that all worked fine! I just covered the tip like your supposed to and made sure it was stuck on really good, I looked at pictures on it and read like 10 different peoples guides to doing it and at first it worked! It shot slightly harder but not much further at all:( and after about 200 shots the tape came off and went into my barrel:( My gun cant shoot now until I get it out and in my idea it isn't worth the trouble. It doesn't just happen to me either, I have read lots of places where people had the same trouble. So everyone who is looking for cheap mods to improve your gun don't do this one! It does not make your gun more accurate, it does not make it shoot farther, and it barely makes a difference in fps.

Just thought I would post this to help out anyone looking into this modification.

Well if any of you guys can think of a better idea by all means try it out and tell me how it works:) I am just saying though not to use electric tape, and I read on several places including this forum that you use electric tape so that is what I used. Tux-That finger nail polish sounds good but I will leave it to some one else to try out. The tape was easy to take out, didn't even have to take my gun apart as the tape came off and wrapped around a bb and jammed it in the barrel making it easy to take out with a rod. Also Shlunka I am no expert but without power there is no range, fps is power, with only 20 fps you will barely make it out the barrel, with 200 you got 60-100 ft, with 400 you have 200 ft. In my opinion fps is what gives you range. Now of course if you have a lot of fps you will need a heavier bb and you will need a better barrel and bucking to keep the accuracy in place but in the end fps gives you the range. I still don't recommend this mod as it is not worth it. But I do like that finger nail idea!

200fps will barely hit 60ft

07-b-032.gif

400fps won't even reach 200ft with full hop

07-b-089.gif

This is 550fps

07-b-171.gif

For accuracy, I'd just get a better air nozzle, hop and barrel along with homemade barrel spacer...

200fps will barely hit 60ft

07-b-032.gif

400fps won't even reach 200ft with full hop

07-b-089.gif

This is 550fps

07-b-171.gif

For accuracy, I'd just get a better air nozzle, hop and barrel along with homemade barrel spacer...

I've used those charts in my BB equations before.

However, even then remember that all hop-ups are different, and all buckings are different too. A hard bucking will give a different amount of power than a soft, and a TM hop-up will be different than a PDI. A gun with 400 FPS can easily reach 200 feet with hop-up on. I barely used half of my rifle's hop-up and I was shooting at 150 feet with about 380 FPS. And that isn't including the -12 foot cliff they apparently shoot on XD.

<AT>Soldier - FPS does not mean range. Does it help? A bit. But the majority of range in airsoft comes from hop-up (otherwise it is just paintball). An extra 50 FPS won't even compete in range compared to a new bucking.

I've used those charts in my BB equations before.

However, even then remember that all hop-ups are different, and all buckings are different too. A hard bucking will give a different amount of power than a soft, and a TM hop-up will be different than a PDI. A gun with 400 FPS can easily reach 200 feet with hop-up on. I barely used half of my rifle's hop-up and I was shooting at 150 feet with about 380 FPS. And that isn't including the -12 foot cliff they apparently shoot on XD.

<AT>Soldier - FPS does not mean range. Does it help? A bit. But the majority of range in airsoft comes from hop-up (otherwise it is just paintball). An extra 50 FPS won't even compete in range compared to a new bucking.

+1

he speaks the truth

if you are going to upgrade in the future, this list always helps me

1. accuracy (barrel, bucking, any airseal parts etc.)

2. durability (any parts stress is being put on, in the case of spring bolt actions, the trigger sears mainly.)

3. power, pretty much the spring, correct me if I missed anything

+1

he speaks the truth

if you are going to upgrade in the future, this list always helps me

1. accuracy (barrel, bucking, any airseal parts etc.)

2. durability (any parts stress is being put on, in the case of spring bolt actions, the trigger sears mainly.)

3. power, pretty much the spring, correct me if I missed anything

Yeah! I agree with that list completely. And that is what I have been recommending in my posts to other people.