to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Sign in to follow this  
Neotyguy40

Friend's gun shoots strangely. Motor/gearbox issue?

My friend seems to have had extremely bad luck with his MP5. Specifically a JG model (not sure which specific one though)

First, when the gun was delivered, the manufacturer made a stupid mistake and put the wires on reverse polarity to the motor. Bam. Teeth stripped off of piston. He also couldn't get a warranty because he ordered from Airsplat (they kept telling him he didn't have any warranty because it was "his fault").

He got a new piston to replace it, and it seemed to be installed correctly. However, one of the wires then ended up breaking. Luckily I was able to fix it using wire strippers and electrical tape. I also needed to replace the end of the wire because that broke too.

When we tried to fire it, we realized that the barrel was jammed with an ill-formed BB (we were stupid and used Crosman ammo). So we took the barrel out and cleaned it with some alcohol swabs. After fixing that, we tried firing again.

BBs came out! However, not the way we expected.

It seemed to work some of the time, and the rest were just partially firing out.

For example, we could fire a BB and it would go the full length it was suppose to. However, the next BB may only go 10 feet or so, and some even less or more.

I am not an expert at the inner workings of AEGs (aside from my previous DMR and current AEP I don't even own any electrical guns). Could anyone tell me the answer here? He's pretty much given up and he may sell it. Considering he spent almost $150 on it, I don't think that would be a very good option.

My friend seems to have had extremely bad luck with his MP5. Specifically a JG model (not sure which specific one though)

First, when the gun was delivered, the manufacturer made a stupid mistake and put the wires on reverse polarity to the motor. Bam. Teeth stripped off of piston. He also couldn't get a warranty because he ordered from Airsplat (they kept telling him he didn't have any warranty because it was "his fault").

He got a new piston to replace it, and it seemed to be installed correctly. However, one of the wires then ended up breaking. Luckily I was able to fix it using wire strippers and electrical tape. I also needed to replace the end of the wire because that broke too.

When we tried to fire it, we realized that the barrel was jammed with an ill-formed BB (we were stupid and used Crosman ammo). So we took the barrel out and cleaned it with some alcohol swabs. After fixing that, we tried firing again.

BBs came out! However, not the way we expected.

It seemed to work some of the time, and the rest were just partially firing out.

For example, we could fire a BB and it would go the full length it was suppose to. However, the next BB may only go 10 feet or so, and some even less or more.

I am not an expert at the inner workings of AEGs (aside from my previous DMR and current AEP I don't even own any electrical guns). Could anyone tell me the answer here? He's pretty much given up and he may sell it. Considering he spent almost $150 on it, I don't think that would be a very good option.

Sounds like it could be a few things.

1. Hop-up (Problems like these tend to be some minuscule issue with the hop-up)

2. Compression (I doubt it but it could be an issue.)

3. BB's (You may be using lower quality BB's then you think)

Sounds like it could be a few things.

1. Hop-up (Problems like these tend to be some minuscule issue with the hop-up)

2. Compression (I doubt it but it could be an issue.)

3. BB's (You may be using lower quality BB's then you think)

1. Nah, I cleaned the hop-up when unjamming it. That was one of the first things I checked when that happened.

2. If compression was that bad, I don't think any of the BBs would be going anywhere XD.

3. We're using Crosman .2g BBs... Of course they are going to be bad. However, it definitely isn't nearly the cause of that.

EDIT: Could it be motor height problems? Maybe the gears aren't being caught all the way?

Edited by Neotyguy40

Even with the polarity flipped, the ARL should have prevented the motor from spinning and stripping the gears.

If the gun is firing fine, then the gearbox is not the problem except for the tappet plate and air nozzle being a possibility. However my theory is that this is all residing in the hop up. Either the lip on the bucking is deformed and not allowing bbs to load properly, or the bucking isn't centered on the barrel, ripped, or bunched up.