to add your 300x250 banner, pay ad zone 5
Airsoft Atlanta is your source for quality airsoft guns and rifle parts
to add your Text Link here, pay ad zone 3

AirsoftAtlanta.com AirsoftNMore.com Airsplat.com AirsoftRC.com
Vote for us to add your 180x30 banner here, pay ad zone 2

If you appreciate this website, please ASF Donation or Check Out the ASF Store. If you can not help us financially,
then at least help us by telling a friend: Share us on your favorite social networking website Bookmark and Share
Neotyguy40

Best way to break in spring?

I received a %250 SPR PDI spring for my BASR. It shoots really nicely! But I find it is very difficult to pull back. I am pretty much under the impression it will get a lot easier as I break it in. But I was hoping someone could tell me if there is an easier way to break in the spring then to just fire it a couple hundred times. Could I just pull back the spring and leave it there for an hour or two? Would that help?

Would it also be easier if I removed the small white plastic piece from my PDI spring guide? I'm assuming that would allow the spring to come all the way back to the base of the guide, making it easier to pull back.

Springs have to be compressed and reset for them to "normalize". Leaving a spring compressed for a long period will do nothing. Only the variable temperature it is exposed to will have an effect on it if you leave it if all you do is leave it compressed for long.

I received a %250 SPR PDI spring for my BASR. It shoots really nicely! But I find it is very difficult to pull back. I am pretty much under the impression it will get a lot easier as I break it in. But I was hoping someone could tell me if there is an easier way to break in the spring then to just fire it a couple hundred times. Could I just pull back the spring and leave it there for an hour or two? Would that help?

Would it also be easier if I removed the small white plastic piece from my PDI spring guide? I'm assuming that would allow the spring to come all the way back to the base of the guide, making it easier to pull back.

go to the gym. within a month the bolt would seem to be much easier to pull back :D

go to the gym. within a month the bolt would seem to be much easier to pull back :D

As much as I appreciate it (I don't really, but I enjoy sarcasm a lot more than most), I think I made the wrong impression. It's not that I don't have the strength to pull it back, but after 2-3 shots my shoulder ends up hurting and my hands start getting sore. My gloves help, but it pushes up against my shoulder.

Springs have to be compressed and reset for them to "normalize". Leaving a spring compressed for a long period will do nothing. Only the variable temperature it is exposed to will have an effect on it if you leave it if all you do is leave it compressed for long.

Huh. I was under the impression that if you kept your spring compressed for a long period of time (overnight or a few days), it would become less stiff and easier to pull back. Springs loosing strength because they are not decompressed before storage is a common problem with AEGs.

Huh. I was under the impression that if you kept your spring compressed for a long period of time (overnight or a few days), it would become less stiff and easier to pull back. Springs loosing strength because they are not decompressed before storage is a common problem with AEGs.

Its also an issue for real steel magazines, more so pistol than rifle. Also in recoil springs in pistols. I know my Walter p22 was stiff to pull back but the real problem was the spring was so stiff that it would chop the following round causing an empty shot or even a jam. I left it cocked overnight and problem solved.

In my understanding you're simply stressing the spring and effectively reducing it's tension. In doing so on airsoft spring, would it not also lower the fps somewhat negating the increased spring rate? Sounds logical to me, but I'm new to this world(well the bolt action side)

Edited by Karr

I bought a 170 spring for my Bar 10 along with a Zero Trigger, it was so hard to pull back that my shoulder really hurt bad.

Not that it was that bad to pull but that very last bit seemed not to latch. So what I did was take the spring out and cut about 1 1/2 coils off the end that goes into the piston and now I can pull it easily shouldered.

Can't really tell you what that did but I thought it was too long and the compression was too tight. It lost a bit of FPS but not much, before it was shooting around 560-570 and after it was shooting 540-550. Haven't chronoed it lately so it may have went down.

As much as I appreciate it (I don't really, but I enjoy sarcasm a lot more than most), I think I made the wrong impression. It's not that I don't have the strength to pull it back, but after 2-3 shots my shoulder ends up hurting and my hands start getting sore. My gloves help, but it pushes up against my shoulder.

lol I wasnt being sarcastic. if your shoulder hurts after 2-3 shots, you do need to strengthen up that area. OR the way you might be pulling the bolt may not be very efficient. put your thumb on side opposite to the handle, and wrap all your fingers around the bolt, and pull it straight back. its the way I do it, and I can pull a m170 back without any problems.

lol I wasnt being sarcastic. if your shoulder hurts after 2-3 shots, you do need to strengthen up that area. OR the way you might be pulling the bolt may not be very efficient. put your thumb on side opposite to the handle, and wrap all your fingers around the bolt, and pull it straight back. its the way I do it, and I can pull a m170 back without any problems.

I would say this is similar to shooting a high powered rifle. If you shoulder it right you won't feel anything after a days shooting(well almost) where as if you're not putting the stock in the pocket right, yeah 3 shots and your hand goes numb haha. Either that or you have a bloody forehead haha

I would watch some prcision shooting videos. Not only will it show you how to find the shoulder pocket, but I'm sure you can take some shooting tips from it as well. Try YouTube

Rifle recoil is nothing like pulling back a heavy bolt.

OP, you bought a 250 percent spring, now you have to deal with the 250 percent spring. It's heavy for a reason and you are not going to be able to make it an easier pull by much at all short of cutting the spring, which would lower your fps.

OP, you bought a 250 percent spring, now you have to deal with the 250 percent spring. It's heavy for a reason and you are not going to be able to make it an easier pull by much at all short of cutting the spring, which would lower your fps.

I have a 310% spring and it isnt hard to pull back at all, but then again, idk whats the difference between normal PDI springs and their SPR springs.

It's pressure on the right or wrong part of your shoulder, just like I said.

In a high powered rifle, shouldering the rifle the wrong way and firing causes a large amount of pressure to be focused onto the wrong part of your shoulder, this hurts.

On a heavy spring airsoft rifle cocking the rifle with the butt in the wrong part of your shoulder can also hurt.

Both situations are remedied by shouldering the rifle correctly. Can't really put it any more clear than that.

Im going to have to say, this is the best idea. I have a m170 in my bar-10, while first using it, before I started going to the gym, I got super sore after prolonged use. Lifting weights and doing push-ups will deffinetly help you. You wouldn't have to go to the gym, just find something heavy(start light) and contiinously lift that weight for weeks, step up a level, so on so forth until your bolt pull becomes lighter. Currently my m170 puts out 540FPS after about 2k rounds and I can do 150+ shots a-day. Oh and make sure your cylinder is lubed correctly.

Not quite. The action of compressing and decompressing the spring is what wears a spring out - metal fatigue, plain and simple. "Breaking a spring in" only means that the metal fatigue has gotten to a "sweet spot" where the damage is negligible as far as we (players) are concerned, until the spring ultimately fails (this won't happen for at least several thousand rounds).